If the Jets are really on the verge of featuring our ground and pound, why would Rex Ryan make that known, heading into our game against the Patriots?

JetsFanFromQueens

This doesn't add up to me. It's no secret that we've been a run first offense over the past two years, and have also had plenty of success with our rushing attack over the years, and it's also quite obvious that as an offense, we've featured a passing attack like never before under Sanchez and Rex thus far through 4 weeks, but my question is this...

If the Jets are really on the verge of going back to our old ways of running the football... Why would our coaching staff let it be known, heading into this Patriots game? Why not keep quiet about it? Why give NE the advantage of 'knowing" that we're on the verge of running more---and passing less? That's my question.

Nothing against Rex Ryan, he's the greatest Jets coach we've had since Parcells and we've even had alot more success under Ryan when compared to Parcells, but still, this isn't something you'd ever hear belichick say. I can't remember the last time BB has told the media anything, in regards to their plans for an up coming game...

At the same time, for all we know, Rex Ryan and our coaching staff could be playing the role of rope-a-dope, knowing that we'll come out passing and pass some more come Sunday, because as we all know, this NE pass-defense and secondary has been beyond awful thus far. There hasn't been an NFL defense, since the NFL merger, that's allowed as many yards during a 4 week span as the Patriots have allowed thus far through 4 weeks; mostly against the pass.

But once again, my question is this... If we really do plan on going back to ground and pound... Why let it be known, heading into an important AFC East matchup such as this one? Why give NE any type of advantage or awareness on our future offensive plans? Why not just keep our football plans inside of the locker room, and on the practice field?

If there's one thing Rex has always consistently done as head coach of these Jets, it's that he's gone out of his way to minimize the damage that his young QB can do to his football team. Three years, three times he's had to slap Schottenheimer on the pee-pee for trying to make Sanchez do things that Sanchez can't do.

If there's one thing Rex has always consistently done as head coach of these Jets, it's that he's gone out of his way to minimize the damage that his young QB can do to his football team. Three years, three times he's had to slap Schottenheimer on the pee-pee for trying to make Sanchez do things that Sanchez can't do.

Best. Post. Ever.

This doesn't add up to me. It's no secret that we've been a run first offense over the past two years, and have also had plenty of success with our rushing attack over the years, and it's also quite obvious that as an offense, we've featured a passing attack like never before under Sanchez and Rex thus far through 4 weeks, but my question is this...

If the Jets are really on the verge of going back to our old ways of running the football... Why would our coaching staff let it be known, heading into this Patriots game? Why not keep quiet about it? Why give NE the advantage of 'knowing" that we're on the verge of running more---and passing less? That's my question.

Nothing against Rex Ryan, he's the greatest Jets coach we've had since Parcells and we've even had alot more success under Ryan when compared to Parcells, but still, this isn't something you'd ever hear belichick say. I can't remember the last time BB has told the media anything, in regards to their plans for an up coming game...

At the same time, for all we know, Rex Ryan and our coaching staff could be playing the role of rope-a-dope, knowing that we'll come out passing and pass some more come Sunday, because as we all know, this NE pass-defense and secondary has been beyond awful thus far. There hasn't been an NFL defense, since the NFL merger, that's allowed as many yards during a 4 week span as the Patriots have allowed thus far through 4 weeks; mostly against the pass.

But once again, my question is this... If we really do plan on going back to ground and pound... Why let it be known, heading into an important AFC East matchup such as this one? Why give NE any type of advantage or awareness on our future offensive plans? Why not just keep our football plans inside of the locker room, and on the practice field?

Rex Ryan is NOT BB. I dont think BB would say 98% of the stuff that comes out of Rex's mouth. If anything, Rex is the antithesis of BB. He believes his team will be more physical and better than yours, so at the end of the day, it doesnt matter to him what the other team expects.

IMO Everything Rex says is to set the tone and expectations to his players. Basiclly it's "Players like Rex" "Rexs mouth writes checks" "Platyers try even harder to cash those checks"

He doesn't believe that what he says impacts the preperation of the other team and or makes them train harder which he has said in the past.

What he says effects his team.

Rex has been saying that he wants to run the ball more since after game one, it really hasn't changed anything. If we play from behind the entire game, we're obviously going to have to pass the ball more. Rex saying that he wants to run the ball more, does absolutely nothing to help BB in terms of preparation; it'd be like the Pats saying, we're going to throw it every down. If you don't play the proper defense to stop it, it's not gonna matter whatsoever. Him just saying ground and pound is back, is probably just an exaggeration from what he's been saying for the three weeks prior, because he was pissed from being beaten like a red-headed step child by his former team.

What is it Sanchez cant do ? Run for his life ? Take huge hits from untouched D - Line man , Linebackers and Safeties ? Get used to a new set of WR's every year that once again probably wont be here next year or the following year ?

Its really easy to blame Sanchez, but I dont see other franchise QB's treated this way, and if you can find one please let me know.

The Jets are following the same disasterous pattern they have followed the past 11 seasons except this year was the first we have had some bad luck on the O-Line. For the most part we have never really had to deal with injuries on the line and when we did it was easy to plug in a quality back up for a few games, we no longer have that luxery and its hurting the entire offense. Its bad enough we have to deal with Shotty now we simply do not have the talent or the time together to overcome his stupidity.

We lost blocking TE's, one of the best FB's in the game, a Pro Bowl RT and then had to deal with the injury to our all pro Center not to mention the loss of our back up in Turner. Thats why the Running game sucks now. None of this is Sanchez or Greenes fault or even Shottys in that respect its Rex's and Tannenbaums fault this sh*t was not addressed in the preseason when it was a glaring weakness and was obvious we had no depth on the O-Line since they were getting destroyed vs players who might not even be in football now.

The ball has been dropped in a big way and top notch organizations DO NOT let sh*t like this happen to SB contending teams.What good is building a team if you cant sustain it when you get to the point of a possible SB.

The Players were ready for Prime time unfortunately the FO and Coaches are not.

Honestly, the more I think about, this is exactly what the Jets should do. Its no surprise, the Jets want to run the Football. Rex says Ground and Pound on every given opportunity. Make an emphasis on it and take the pressure off Sanchez. Get them out of pass protection. This is sad, really really sad...but the Jets would have beat the Ravens if they just took a knee on every damn down. Maybe Schotty was right running at Ngata over and over again. lol

We all know the Pats secondary is awful. But they are also constantly defending big leads with an offense playing catch up. Now, they dont have the pass rush to take advantage of it so it makes them very vulnerable. I think Rex knows their D just sucks and they can run on them too. Just control the clock, dont put Sanchez in tough situations...but be comfortable that he'll be fine because their secondary is weak and they have no pass rush. Go back to your identity.

Now the OL just has to remember how to block.

POTW

If you're actually really good at something then you'll be able to pull it off, even when everyone knows it's coming. Everyone knew the Jets were a running team before...how much did that actually matter?

I agree with you 100%. That's how we've made it to consecutive AFC Championship games. 1A) Our defense. 1B) Our offensive line. 1C) Our rushing attack. Teams may have known the ground and pound was coming, but then again, they also had to prepare for it. They still couldn't stop it, so I see your point. It's valid.

I just wish we wouldn't have said anything, and let our play on the field show the Patriots that we've went back to ground and pound. We've been a pass first offense thus far through 4 weeks. There is no doubt in my mind, that NE is getting ready for our pass-first offense. I just wish we would have used our rushing attack as our "secret" advantage. And not have said anything about our future plans of going back to a ground and pound style of attack. Would have rather let NE's defense be forced to learn on the fly.

All in all, I just wanted to see everyones thoughts on this situation. I feel much better after reading this thread. We'll let NE know what we're about to do, and with that awful NE defense? They still won't be able to stop us.

I think it's ridiculous to act like this is Rex giving away our offensive game plan. As much as everybody would like it, there haven't been any grumblings that he is taking play calling from Schottenheimer. I think he is challenging the offensive line. We are a running team and we should be successful when we run. That kind of thing. It's like the Knicks under Riley and Van Gundy. No matter what happened they would say, that we have to give more effort. As if Jordan jumping over people and Reggie Miller draining 3's from half court had to do with effort. It's just to reiterate what the team's identity is and hopefully that will make the team concentrate on what it can control.

Ground and pound is an attitude, not a game plan

Well said.

I've always been a strong believer that games are won in the trenches and defense wins championships. We all seen how important Mangold has always been for us this week against the Ravens. It was hard to watch Baltimore attack our rookie center.

I could care less if this league is changing into a pass-happy league... I'll always respect and appreciate teams that can play a smash-mouth type of football. That's why I respect Rex Ryan; because he not only knows, but also understand what it takes to win. Dominate opposing D's with the run game, keep opposing D's off balance with the passing game and play lights out defense. That how we've played over the past two years. That's how we've made consecutive trips to the playoffs/afc championship game.

I haven't been a fan of our offensive line play thus far, but I know the potential is there for a smash mouth type of rushing attack. I still hope to see Sanchez drop back and pass, but I'd love to see our ground game take off.

I agree with you 100%. That's how we've made it to consecutive AFC Championship games. 1A) Our defense. 1B) Our offensive line. 1C) Our rushing attack. Teams may have known the ground and pound was coming, but then again, they also had to prepare for it. They still couldn't stop it, so I see your point. It's valid.

I just wish we wouldn't have said anything, and let our play on the field show the Patriots that we've went back to ground and pound. We've been a pass first offense thus far through 4 weeks. There is no doubt in my mind, that NE is getting ready for our pass-first offense. I just wish we would have used our rushing attack as our "secret" advantage. And not have said anything about our future plans of going back to a ground and pound style of attack. Would have rather let NE's defense be forced to learn on the fly.

All in all, I just wanted to see everyones thoughts on this situation. I feel much better after reading this thread. We'll let NE know what we're about to do, and with that awful NE defense? They still won't be able to stop us.

Why not? It's not like it's been a good pass first offense. The rushing attack is not a secret advantage. Hell, right now it might not even be a real advantage. Even if you're trying to force them to make adjustments.....1. any adjustments they make will force us to pass more since they'd just have to stop the run and 2. we're still going to have to pass to beat them.

That announcement was nothing more than fluff...If anything it might even be a mind**** meant to get the Pats to focus on the run game...I'm sure the Pats would love to see the Jets run at Wilfork/Haynesworth.

If anything it might even be a mind**** meant to get the Pats to focus on the run game...I'm sure the Pats would love to see the Jets run at Wilfork/Haynesworth.

That's what I was thinking as well, due to the fact that NE's secondary/pass defense has been awful thus far through 4 weeks. I'd love to see us establish the run, but I feel this is a perfect week for Sanchez and the Jets to open it up.

But at the same time, I think you're giving Haynesworth a little too much credit. At the age of only 30, he's already a shell of what he once was. Haynesworth (back) did not travel with the Patriots to Oakland last week. He only has 2 tackles on the season. He may not even play, he was limited in practice today, but even if he does suit up? It won't change the fact that NE has been bad against the run as well. They've allowed 4.8 yards per carry this season (ranking 24th).

On a side note... Chad Johnson and Albert Haynesworth have been two horrible moves. The media hyped it up as if NE just went out and signed Randy Moss of his prime years and Ngata of the Ravens. Come to find out? These guys are done.

Makes absolutely zero difference to the way a smart coach like Bill B. prepares. I can see why one would be concerned, but think about it from his perspective: do you really think he lets something like what Rex says interfere with his gameplan? NO WAY.

And even if he did (he doesn't), well, then we're getting in his head so that would actually be a good thing.

What is it Sanchez cant do ? Run for his life ? Take huge hits from untouched D - Line man , Linebackers and Safeties ? Get used to a new set of WR's every year that once again probably wont be here next year or the following year ?

Its really easy to blame Sanchez, but I dont see other franchise QB's treated this way, and if you can find one please let me know.

The Jets are following the same disasterous pattern they have followed the past 11 seasons except this year was the first we have had some bad luck on the O-Line. For the most part we have never really had to deal with injuries on the line and when we did it was easy to plug in a quality back up for a few games, we no longer have that luxery and its hurting the entire offense. Its bad enough we have to deal with Shotty now we simply do not have the talent or the time together to overcome his stupidity.

We lost blocking TE's, one of the best FB's in the game, a Pro Bowl RT and then had to deal with the injury to our all pro Center not to mention the loss of our back up in Turner. Thats why the Running game sucks now. None of this is Sanchez or Greenes fault or even Shottys in that respect its Rex's and Tannenbaums fault this sh*t was not addressed in the preseason when it was a glaring weakness and was obvious we had no depth on the O-Line since they were getting destroyed vs players who might not even be in football now.

The ball has been dropped in a big way and top notch organizations DO NOT let sh*t like this happen to SB contending teams.What good is building a team if you cant sustain it when you get to the point of a possible SB.

The Players were ready for Prime time unfortunately the FO and Coaches are not.

Resist shoving a fat hot dog in his mouth?

Yes, I'm sure we would have pulled a fast one on BB. He doesn't know dick about defense. Any time we tried running it he'd have been shocked stupid because his gameplan otherwise would have been to only send 4 and drop everyone else into coverage every down.

Or look at it this way:

At least now we may run Rex's predictable strategy or Schottenheimer's predictable strategy. So on any given play, without knowing which predictable play we're going to go with, there's some element of being unpredictable. Rex = genius.

Archived