Cris Carter - "They are not that good."

Ghost

He was yapping about how he thinks we're going to have another issue with Holmes due to the sole reason of him NOT getting the ball again this season. He also mentioned how we were throwing the ball 5 yards from the line of scrimmage at Training Camp and how we're not going to beat anyone in this league doing that.

Unfortunately, I do agree with him. I saw a couple of tweets about receivers having trouble getting separation and this just reminds me of sh*tty again. I can't help but ask whether our WRs need to improve or our CBs are too damn good?

With the stable of backs we have, I dont see the running game blowing anyone off the ball like we were able to do in 2009/10....so the ball is going to be in Sanchez's hands again....then come the fumbles, the int's....and then Tebow time.

I dont get what this team is trying to do offensively. I really really hope Powell can be a guy that pick up yards.

He was yapping about how he thinks we're going to have another issue with Holmes due to the sole reason of him NOT getting the ball again this season. He also mentioned how we were throwing the ball 5 yards from the line of scrimmage at Training Camp and how we're not going to beat anyone in this league doing that.

Unfortunately, I do agree with him. I saw a couple of tweets about receivers having trouble getting separation and this just reminds me of sh*tty again. I can't help but ask whether our WRs need to improve or our CBs are too damn good?

I assume he was referring to the offense. Either way, Chris Carter is a complete moron. He's siting the 3rd day of training camp as a prediction on what we'll see during the season?

FWIW - all of the Dolphag receivers during the Sparano's tenure averaged over 10ypc and the X, Y receivers were usually up in the 12-15 range. The whole idea of ground and pound is to get 8 guys in the box and go over top with the size and speed we've attained this offseason.

I really do believe in Rex and his philosophy. Just look at the 49ers last year. Their identity is extremely similar to ours and it's running the ball and playing defense. However, their passing offense is much better than ours. I'm not saying they have more talent than us but you saw more 20+ yard passes with them. I hope TS knows that, because completing 6 receptions for 20 yards or more in one season is inexcusable.

I really do believe in Rex and his philosophy. Just look at the 49ers last year. Their identity is extremely similar to ours and it's running the ball and playing defense. However, their passing offense is much better than ours. I'm not saying they have more talent than us but you saw more 20+ yard passes with them. I hope TS knows that, because completing 6 receptions for 20 yards or more in one season is inexcusable.

The 49'ers passing offense is better than ours?

Interesting...

With the stable of backs we have, I dont see the running game blowing anyone off the ball like we were able to do in 2009/10....so the ball is going to be in Sanchez's hands again....then come the fumbles, the int's....and then Tebow time.

I dont get what this team is trying to do offensively. I really really hope Powell can be a guy that pick up yards.

While LT had a pretty decent year in 2010, I'm not sure it would be all that hard for this group to be as good as the 2009 group, as they were hardly anything to write home about. Jones sucked, Washington was a major disappointment once given a larger role in the offense and Greene, who was arguably the best of the bunch, is now the starter. The bigger question would be if this OL can open holes for a set of mediocre backs the same way that 2009 group did and if not, that's when it becomes necessary for these RBs to turn out to be not just as good as, but quite better, than their predecessors.

While LT had a pretty decent year in 2010, I'm not sure it would be all that hard for this group to be as good as the 2009 group, as they were hardly anything to write home about. Jones sucked, Washington was a major disappointment once given a larger role in the offense and Greene, who was arguably the best of the bunch, is now the starter. The bigger question would be if this OL can open holes for a set of mediocre backs the same way that 2009 group did and if not, that's when it becomes necessary for these RBs to turn out to be not just as good as, but quite better, than their predecessors.

My take on this is pretty much Damien Woody was really freaking good...

What's the common denominator in our offense since 2009? Think hard.

False.

Sanchez had dozens more downfield pass attempts than Alex Smith last year. I don't have 20+ yard numbers but it isn't likely much different than 15+.

Smith attempted the 6th-lowest percentage of 15+ yard passes last season. Compound that with the 49ers attempting the 2nd-fewest total number of 15+ yard passes last season and you have a team that is far more likely to throw underneath than were the 2011 Jets to the tune of an extra 3 attempts every single game.

By the way, in addition to Alex Smith, here are some other QB's who attempted deeper passes on a lower percentage of attempts than Sanchez did:

Drew Brees

Tom Brady

Matthew Stafford

Matt Hasselbeck

Tony Romo

Matt Ryan

Jay Cutler

The problem isn't that Sanchez isn't attempting them. The problem is he isn't completing them.

Q: Which NFL QB was the most likely to attempt a downfield pass last year?

A: Tim Tebow

explain how you define better

Less likely to throw downfield and protects the QB worse. Of course.

On any given dropback, despite looking downfield a whole lot less, Alex Smith was about 30% more likely to get sacked than Mark Sanchez in 2011. Compound that with Sanchez not being as mobile as Smith.

But our OL is to blame for Sanchez's terriblocity. Or so I'm told.

Just to fill out the stats- Alex Smith threw about 11% of his attempts down the field and 19.7% between 10 and 20 yards. Sanchez was higher in both categories (11.3% and 25.5%). The thing was Smith was freakishly good in the big pass category last year because nobody expected him to throw the ball. He completed more than 40% of his 20+ passes, which was 7th best in the NFL while only being picked off on 3.9% of his attempts, 8th best. Sanchez was 29.8% and 10.5%, which ranked 29th and 30th. They were both much closer in the 10-20 yard category (57% vs 52% comp % and very few turnovers). Id imagine it would be near impossible for Smith to duplicate the success again in those long passes, but right now there is little reason to expect Sanchez to magically get great.

We need that offensive line to play much better than last year- it contributed to Sanchez's poor year among other factors.

The main thing to consider with this point, which I agree with by the way, is that both Mangold AND the main OL backup Robert Turner went down last season. On top of that we bumped up a backup (hunter) to a starting role with no training camp. We did have time to fix the Turner depth issue and for that the Jets brass are responsible. I personally see every reason to believe that the O line play will improve over last year and potentially be dominant.

Think about Slauson playing through a torn shoulder or whatever it was all of last season too, but there was not even the threat of anyone taking his job. Now training camp started with him in fear for his job. That can only help things. If Ducasse finally plays up to his draft status and takes the job great. If Slauson, healed from the surgery, plays his balls off to keep his job without his old O line coach here to protect him, well that's good news too.

I think the Jets are being greatly underrated right now and I F*CKIN love it!!! The O line being one of the main reasons I feel this way.

And the Niners spent the whole 2nd half of theNFC chmpionship watching their offense screw the pooch series after series, while their defense got worn down and eventually broke.

You have to score points to win.

That requires a competent passing attack.

A run-oriented team hasn't won the Super Bowl since the Ravens in 2001.

But if "identity" ges you a trophy clue the rest of us in about what the identity trophy is called. The Eagles, for example, have convinced their fan base there is a trophy for cap management, but doesn't appear to be a big ceremony for that either. In fact on several occasions Super Bowl champs violated the cap rules(the Steve Young Niners, the Broncos) and still hung onto their Lombardis.

And we can all agree Cris Carter is a dick, cant' we?

• 3 weeks later...

And the Niners spent the whole 2nd half of theNFC chmpionship watching their offense screw the pooch series after series, while their defense got worn down and eventually broke.

You have to score points to win.

That requires a competent passing attack.

A run-oriented team hasn't won the Super Bowl since the Ravens in 2001.

But if "identity" ges you a trophy clue the rest of us in about what the identity trophy is called. The Eagles, for example, have convinced their fan base there is a trophy for cap management, but doesn't appear to be a big ceremony for that either. In fact on several occasions Super Bowl champs violated the cap rules(the Steve Young Niners, the Broncos) and still hung onto their Lombardis.

And we can all agree Cris Carter is a dick, cant' we?

Ahh but the shoot out wih the Saints where the Niners passing attack went blow for blow with one of the best offenses in the NFL was just our imagination.

For the record NO ONE passed well vs the Giants the last 6 games of last season (including the playoffs) because they rushed the QB like demons yep they even gave te great Aaron Rodgers and Tom Brady Fits

Archived