Yeah, we're boned.

dbatesman

For all my bleak cynicism and references to FO and PFF, I've always held out some dim hope that Sanchez could become at least serviceable, especially given our defense. After attending the game tonight, I feel like we'll be lucky to finish .500 this season (and I'm someone who feels our defense will be absolutely beastly). The sad truth is that the advanced stats actually overrate Sanchez. Unless Sparano has some super-secret playbook that he's saving for the regular season, our entire passing offense consists of Sanchez staring down one guy. If said guy comes open, great. If not, Sanchez either a. throws it to him anyway, regardless of how many guys are covering him, or b. continues staring at him until he gets sacked. That's it. All discussions about Wayne Hunter and Shonn Greene and Brian Schottenheimer are pure window-dressing, and anyone who thinks otherwise is delusional.

Whilst tailgaiting, someone asked me "who starts at QB for the Jets, Week 1, 2013?" This is the defining question of the current age of Jets football, and if someone can give me an answer that doesn't make me want to throw myself off a bridge, I would absolutely love to hear it.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For all my bleak cynicism and references to FO and PFF, I've always held out some dim hope that Sanchez could become at least serviceable, especially given our defense. After attending the game tonight, I feel like we'll be lucky to finish .500 this season (and I'm someone who feels our defense will be absolutely beastly). The sad truth is that the advanced stats actually overrate Sanchez. Unless Sparano has some super-secret playbook that he's saving for the regular season, our entire passing offense consists of Sanchez staring down one guy. If said guy comes open, great. If not, Sanchez either a. throws it to him anyway, regardless of how many guys are covering him, or b. continues staring at him until he gets sacked. That's it. All discussions about Wayne Hunter and Shonn Greene and Brian Schottenheimer are pure window-dressing, and anyone who thinks otherwise is delusional.

Whilst tailgaiting, someone asked me "who starts at QB for the Jets, Week 1, 2013?" This is the defining question of the current age of Jets football, and if someone can give me an answer that doesn't make me want to throw myself off a bridge, I would absolutely love to hear it.

I truly believe if Sparano is still here, either OC, or HC (I believe both are possible) Greg McElroy will be the 2013 opening day starter, and wouldn't be surprised to see him starting sometime this season. So sorry to tell you, but go find that one person who can talk you off the ledge.

I agree DB. As much as I'd like to put it off as "it's only pre-season" - we are boned. Even if Sanchez had the presence of mind (or had time) to scan thru 2 or 3 receiving options - none of the current slugs can get open far enough to get a look, let alone a toss. And if the strength of my season depends on the victorious return of Mama Holmes' boy Tone - we're boned.

Yea, Wayne Hunter sucks, but don't tell me if either Manning, Rodgers, Bradym Cutler, Ryan or Brees had our Oline they wouldn't still be tearing the league apart. Hell, this would probably one of the best if not the best oline they've played with. Sanchez's inability to read the blitz pre-snap and diagnose the play is an absolute achilles heel and what truly hurts the team. The rough thing is, that our defense is good enough where we'll never have a high enough pick to land the Andrew Luck that can completely turn a franchise around. Gotta give the Colts credit to be terrible for the first time in over a decade at exactly the right year.

Colt McCoy or Matt Hasselback.

Also laying a bet down on Brett Favre.

Dude. Sparano's gonna fix Sanchez just like he fixed Henne. Guy's a sensei.

Are you sayin it wasnt Scottenheimers fault after all????

BTW where are all the Schott is ruining Sanchez theorists?

Sanchez bragging about how accurate he was before the pick six made me sick. What a loser statement.

That sealed the deal for me on this guy.

They can start Simms or Kerley for all I care. They may actually be an improvement.

Sanchez bragging about how accurate he was before the pick six made me sick. What a loser statement.

That sealed the deal for me on this guy.

Lol! I'm pretty sure there's a significant pile of evidence to demonstrate that your deal was sealed long before that statement.

Yea, Wayne Hunter sucks, but don't tell me if either Manning, Rodgers, Bradym Cutler, Ryan or Brees had our Oline they wouldn't still be tearing the league apart. Hell, this would probably one of the best if not the best oline they've played with. Sanchez's inability to read the blitz pre-snap and diagnose the play is an absolute achilles heel and what truly hurts the team. The rough thing is, that our defense is good enough where we'll never have a high enough pick to land the Andrew Luck that can completely turn a franchise around. Gotta give the Colts credit to be terrible for the first time in over a decade at exactly the right year.

Totally, completely realistic benchmarks.

The game I officially threw in the towel was last year's Giants game. Guy just completely gave up on the field. Not on his teammates or coordinator, he just mentally checked out and looked like a guy that just wanted the season to be over. I saw nothing last night that leads me to believe anything has changed or will change. And it sucks because he's been coached to say and do all the right things on the sideline, like when he was cheering Tebow on and sh*t, or when he says it's his huddle. He looks like a guy that has to work very hard at convincing himself that he wants to be out there. There's an immeasurable stemming from all his lack of experience during his first couple years and being babied too much, and I'm afraid that it's irreversible now. He'll still make those 3-4 throws per game that make you say wow, but I think he's damaged goods at this point.

Our team should just draft a qb every year until one sticks. It's all useless without one.

This... and I felt using a 4th this year on Tebow was equivalent to doing this. They also added Simms. So it's not like they didn't do it this year, but every other year they should do it too.

Having nothing behind Sanchez but Brunell and scrubs set us back significantly. Teams ALWAYS need to be procuring QB talent and depth, it is an asset and like roster currency.

I don't want to over-react to preseason too much here, but looking at what Washington and Seattle are doing with QB collecting right now, it just seems right. Have your guy, and have your guy you develop as insurance and/or currency down the road for when you do need a new RT or something.

The game I officially threw in the towel was last year's Giants game. Guy just completely gave up on the field. Not on his teammates or coordinator, he just mentally checked out and looked like a guy that just wanted the season to be over. I saw nothing last night that leads me to believe anything has changed or will change. And it sucks because he's been coached to say and do all the right things on the sideline, like when he was cheering Tebow on and sh*t, or when he says it's his huddle. He looks like a guy that has to work very hard at convincing himself that he wants to be out there. There's an immeasurable stemming from all his lack of experience during his first couple years and being babied too much, and I'm afraid that it's irreversible now. He'll still make those 3-4 throws per game that make you say wow, but I think he's damaged goods at this point.

You may very well be correct about damaged goods. Sometimes thats fixable but its not just him this offense is terrible at every level. The only players on the entire offense I would call consistent and dependable are Nick Mangold and Brandon Moore Im talking consistent week in and week out. Can you name more ?

Really thought after Sanchez couldn't lead the Jets on their last drive last Christmas Eve the FO and CS would cut bait. Because starting him this year means the season is pretty much lost.

Totally, completely realistic benchmarks.

Dude, I just named a quarter of the NFL's starting QBs, did I really need to name the other eight or so to make my point?? Bottom line is that it's a quarterback-driven league, if you have one who happens to be in the top third, then all this bullsh*t about a starting RT is the difference between superbowl or not, not the difference between making the playoffs and only winning 6 games. Hunter is bad, really bad, but I've seen the aforementioned QBs play with worse and not skip a beat. Sanchez is just that terrible at anything pre-snap related and avoiding the blitz; I know hunter is dreadful, but we're not having this conversation (to the extent that we are) if one of those other QBs have a Jets' uni on.

That's what Pennington was brought in for, apparently.

Remember when he'd have a 170 yard game with a TD and two picks and say, "outside of a few throws, I thought I played very well"?

Hunter = horrible

Brick = not nearly as good as we thought since Faneca left

Slauson = Backup quality JAG

Moore = best years behind him

Mangold = excellent

TE's = useless in protection

Backup lineman = don't have any

And the only lineman we draft is Robert Griffin

Does Sanchez suck? Don't know. he might suck. he might be the guy who pulled out a bunch of 4th quarter wins in 2010, or the guy who took the team to within a game of the Superbowl his rookie year. He's not a Manning or Brady though. He'll need help to be the effective Mark Sanchez. And Tannenbaum has given him absolutely nothing to work with but Holmes who is a #2 WR realistically.

Dude, I just named a quarter of the NFL's starting QBs, did I really need to name the other eight or so to make my point?? Bottom line is that it's a quarterback-driven league, if you have one who happens to be in the top third, then all this bullsh*t about a starting RT is the difference between superbowl or not, not the difference between making the playoffs and only winning 6 games. Hunter is bad, really bad, but I've seen the aforementioned QBs play with worse and not skip a beat. Sanchez is just that terrible at anything pre-snap related and avoiding the blitz; I know hunter is dreadful, but we're not having this conversation (to the extent that we are) if one of those other QBs have a Jets' uni on.

Yeah the top quarter. The only guys in the list who might not make Canton are Ryan and Cutler. C'mon mannnn.

Yeah the top quarter. The only guys in the list who might not make Canton are Ryan and Cutler. C'mon mannnn.

That's my entire point. Why would I compare sanchez to the bottom half of the NFL that is currently having the same problem? Sure, I could have thrown in Shaub, Stafford, Big Ben and Rivers, but I figured my point was sufficient enough. You are not winning in this era without a quarterback in the top 1/3 of the NFL simply for the reasons I mentioned above. If you can't read these complex defenses pre-snap and understand how to avoid the blitz, you are not going to succeed. The NFL is overtly constructed for a team with a good QB to take advantage, we simply do not have one. The point was fairly clear that, yea our right tackle sucks, but a RT shouldn't be the linchpin on whether or not you go from making the playoffs to a 6 win team. If Sanchez made any sort of clear development, he could mask a lot of these problems.

That's my entire point. Why would I compare sanchez to the bottom half of the NFL that is currently having the same problem? Sure, I could have thrown in Shaub, Stafford, Big Ben and Rivers, but I figured my point was sufficient enough. You are not winning in this era without a quarterback in the top 1/3 of the NFL simply for the reasons I mentioned above. If you can't read these complex defenses pre-snap and understand how to avoid the blitz, you are not going to succeed. The NFL is overtly constructed for a team with a good QB to take advantage, we simply do not have one. The point was fairly clear that, yea our right tackle sucks, but a RT shouldn't be the linchpin on whether or not you go from making the playoffs to a 6 win team. If Sanchez made any sort of clear development, he could mask a lot of these problems.

I can't argue with that. My main beef falls on the front office which I've been saying all along. We don't have football people calling the shots. We should go beg Polian or Cowher to be our general manager and after a couple patient years we can draft some guys and build a team. This obviously won't happen in our lifetime with Woody running the helm. The second Mangini was fired, front office proficiency went out the window- should be extremely telling that out GM puts that much faith in the coaching staff. That's not why the GM position exists. Magically we start drafting a ton of defense and trade for our offense? I wonder why....because Rex only knows one side of the ball, Tannenbaum knows neither, Mangini cut his teeth in the film room and is as good a personnel scout as any, and Woody simply knows how to make a splash and promote and market a product. We will not win football games this way. The Mangini personnel are almost all gone.

I can't argue with that. My main beef falls on the front office which I've been saying all along. We don't have football people calling the shots. We should go beg Polian or Cowher to be our general manager and after a couple patient years we can draft some guys and build a team. This obviously won't happen in our lifetime with Woody running the helm. The second Mangini was fired, front office proficiency went out the window- should be extremely telling that out GM puts that much faith in the coaching staff. That's not why the GM position exists. Magically we start drafting a ton of defense and trade for our offense? I wonder why....because Rex only knows one side of the ball, Tannenbaum knows neither, Mangini cut his teeth in the film room and is as good a personnel scout as any, and Woody simply knows how to make a splash and promote and market a product. We will not win football games this way. The Mangini personnel are almost all gone.

Agreed. Tanny is a great cap guy, no argue there, but it's clear he's not a great football mind. If Woody was afraid of losing him to some other team in a GM role, I didn't really see that happening, but whatever, then they should have surrounded him with better advising personnell.

It's clear as day we had a problem with our RT position and yes, it was obvious to them as they went after Otah via trade, so how he can think going into the season with the same RT he tried to replace is a good idea, is beyond me. Personally, I'm just hoping that it was a perfect storm of Hunter's first live game action combined with JPP, Tuck and Osi being beasts. But we aren't exactly going to get a break against the Bills week one with Mario Williams coming at us.

Agreed. Tanny is a great cap guy, no argue there, but it's clear he's not a great football mind. If Woody was afraid of losing him to some other team in a GM role, I didn't really see that happening, but whatever, then they should have surrounded him with better advising personnell.

It's clear as day we had a problem with our RT position and yes, it was obvious to them as they went after Otah via trade, so how he can think going into the season with the same RT he tried to replace is a good idea, is beyond me. Personally, I'm just hoping that it was a perfect storm of Hunter's first live game action combined with JPP, Tuck and Osi being beasts. But we aren't exactly going to get a break against the Bills week one with Mario Williams coming at us.

Sanchez and Hunter are probably a combo that has Mario Williams licking his chops. I really don't see what's Going to stop him from having a career game. Remember last year with Demarcus Ware? It's going to be a disaster...for years to come.

I have a feeling that when the season is over the complaints are going to be about the front office simply being too reactive rather than proactive in the way they built the team. The team has had this outside in philosophy for awhile and it is difficult to ever have work. The fact that there are even rumors about Percy harvin at this stage of the line issues and qb issues is ludicrous.

The problem in how they built this team up front is the fact that no attention was paid to the progression of the nfl. You make rules that are designed to make teams pass and once half of the league buys in defenses adjust. There was atoms when right tackle was a hidden spot. Their assignments were generally to stop the run while the lt was responsible for the blindside. Bigger and slower players and you rt could be the same. Now teams are getting leaner and more athletic at the de spot. They interchange lde and rde all the time to create confusion and take advantage of mismatches. Sometimes even dts move around outside.

5 years ago a guy like Demarcus ware would have lined up against ferguson almost every play. Now he lines up everywhere. The less athletic hunter can't match up and is overwhelmed every time. Now there are so many assignments it's not like he can even spend all week preparing for a jpp. He ends up preparing for 3 guys and it's too much.

I've mentioned it on my site that soon teams are going to have to adjust their line pay structure because of changing defenses. You can't pay all the money to ferguson and get by on a penny tackle like hunter. There needs to be more balance. You can lessen your money on the interior (and in all honesty paying a center as much as the jets do is not worth it and I love mangold) but have to find talent outside. The jets just aren't structured to play in today's nfl.

Archived