Darren Sproles

Adrian Peterson

Jamaal Charles

Maurice Jones Drew

Ray Rice

Demarco Murray

Chris Johnson

DeAngelo Williams

Some of the best running backs in the league and all of the players mentioned had 40 times of less than 4.45. Its safe to say, speed kills. Shonn Greene, posted a 40 time of 4.62. There are only 4 starting NFL Runningbacks with 40 times over 4.6, they are:

Shonn Greene

Stevan Ridley

Benjarvus Green Ellis

Arian Foster

None are really that much better than Greene except for Arian Foster whose arguably the best runningback in the league. Arian Foster can change direction as fast as anyone in the league and has great acceleration. He's not the big bruiser his build would suggest he's more of a make people miss kind of runner. While Shonn Greene changes direction slowly and runs straight to the defense. Arian Foster is the only exception to the point I'm trying to make. In today's NFL you need to be fast and make people miss to be an effective back. Greene posses neither of these skills. He's a geat backup, but as a starter he's just not the right fit. We need some speed. IMO let him split carries with Powell and at the end of the year let him walk. Then we can draft our Runningback of the future.

CJ Spiller

Darren McFadden

Reggie Bush

Darren Sproles

Adrian Peterson

Jamaal Charles

Maurice Jones Drew

Ray Rice

Demarco Murray

Chris Johnson

DeAngelo Williams

Some of the best running backs in the league and all of the players mentioned had 40 times of less than 4.45. Its safe to say, speed kills. Shonn Greene, posted a 40 time of 4.62. There are only 4 starting NFL Runningbacks with 40 times over 4.6, they are:

Shonn Greene

Stevan Ridley

Benjarvus Green Ellis

Arian Foster

None are really that much better than Greene except for Arian Foster whose arguably the best runningback in the league. Arian Foster can change direction as fast as anyone in the league and has great acceleration. He's not the big bruiser his build would suggest he's more of a make people miss kind of runner. While Shonn Greene changes direction slowly and runs straight to the defense. Arian Foster is the only exception to the point I'm trying to make. In today's NFL you need to be fast and make people miss to be an effective back. Greene posses neither of these skills. He's a geat backup, but as a starter he's just not the right fit. We need some speed. IMO let him split carries with Powell and at the end of the year let him walk. Then we can draft our Runningback of the future.

I love it when someone else rips Greene. When I do it I am trying to push my agenda. For what its worth, you are 100% correct with your post. Well except for Foster being the best back in the league. Greene MUST GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

CJ Spiller

Darren McFadden

Reggie Bush

Darren Sproles

Adrian Peterson

Jamaal Charles

Maurice Jones Drew

Ray Rice

Demarco Murray

Chris Johnson

DeAngelo Williams

Shonn Greene

Stevan Ridley

Benjarvus Green Ellis

Arian Foster

Greene is a serviceable NFL back...makes a good short yardage back...lacks big play capability...we really should have found a better complementary back (speed-pass catcher type) to form our RBBC...probably gone after this year.

Greene is a serviceable NFL back...makes a good short yardage back...lacks big play capability...we really should have found a better complementary back (speed-pass catcher type) to form our RBBC...probably gone after this year.

I've been thinking that all along, but I'm starting to change my mind. I don't think anyone is going to be offering Greene any real money, and that as a result he could wind up back with the Jets under a modest deal. He is a decent backup type.

CJ Spiller

Darren McFadden

Reggie Bush

Darren Sproles

Adrian Peterson

Jamaal Charles

Maurice Jones Drew

Ray Rice

Demarco Murray

Chris Johnson

DeAngelo Williams

Shonn Greene

Stevan Ridley

Benjarvus Green Ellis

Arian Foster

I agree. I dont think I've ever seen the Jets have a back that was lethal, not even Curtis Martin. Martin was guaranteed 4 yards every time he carried the ball. That's how he got things done, but he was never a threat for a huge gain.

We need a back that has a killer step. LeSean McCoy comes to mind. Hes a strong powerful runner but he can stop on a dime and immediately change direction. We've never had a true threat in the backfield like that. We've had pretty good back ups that could be a threat for a long gain (Leon Washington), but as for a starting RB, in my 17 years following this team I honestly cant think of one.

We need to draft high for a RB this year along with some OLB's. Maybe we can find a ILB in the mid to late round to replace Harris while we're at it.

We need to draft high for a RB this year along with some OLB's. Maybe we can find a ILB in the mid to late round to replace Harris while we're at it.

It's a good thing that was the last sentence, because that's when I would have stopped reading, anyway. Now come on, man. Harris is a good player. He's nowhere near worth what we're paying him, but with the way people talk you would think that he became useless overnight. A couple years back we were all worried about having the room to sign him, no? And we weren't wrong. He's smart, he's got plus hit power and he's got plus tackling. That's a good MLB for a 3-4. We just need a speedier guy to compliment him. In fact, he would probably be perfect for us if our OLB's weren't dirt slow.

On topic though, he's slow as crap. I honestly can't believe how slow the dude is. 4.65? He looks so much slower than that even. Thomas Jones 2-3 years ago was faster probably.

Could he even beat Tebow in a 40 yard dash? I doubt it.

Edit: just looked it up - Tebow did 4.72 at the combine. I'm betting you he could beat Greene outright if they did it now.

Agreed on points on Greene. He also acts like a toddler who just fell down and skinned his knee after every run. Be cool if he got up and broke big plays afterwards but he never seems to. He just runs, falls down then acts like he's inured again. If we had a better feature back he would make a nice late game grinder. Sorta like Lamont Jordan. Who vanished into obscurity when he left here and became a featured back. Greene is a similar case IMO.

I remember when we first got a good dose of Greene in the Playoffs and TBH hes a totally different back. I wonder if this guy is suffering from more Injiuries than we think. Its possible he just broke down that fast due to his running style. This team needs a feature back in a big way and if anyone would take touches from that back it would be Powell in the passing game. If we kept Greene it would have to be on the cheap and he would be our short yardage back and also get some carries in the 4th. using him sparingly and in the 4th quarter could keep him healthy and fresh, as tough and powerful as he is he may just not be cut out to carry the ball as much as we have him carrying it now.

Actully thinking about it more if we did draft a feature back like a Trent Richardson, Greene would probably be gone. Does anyone think Grimes will be activated for sundays game or is he on the PS ?

I agree. I dont think I've ever seen the Jets have a back that was lethal, not even Curtis Martin. Martin was guaranteed 4 yards every time he carried the ball. That's how he got things done, but he was never a threat for a huge gain.

We need a back that has a killer step. LeSean McCoy comes to mind. Hes a strong powerful runner but he can stop on a dime and immediately change direction. We've never had a true threat in the backfield like that. We've had pretty good back ups that could be a threat for a long gain (Leon Washington), but as for a starting RB, in my 17 years following this team I honestly cant think of one.

OLB and RB are on the very top of our 2013 draft list IMO.

CJ Spiller

Darren McFadden

Reggie Bush

Darren Sproles

Adrian Peterson

Jamaal Charles

Maurice Jones Drew

Ray Rice

Demarco Murray

Chris Johnson

DeAngelo Williams

Shonn Greene

Stevan Ridley

Benjarvus Green Ellis

Arian Foster

It would be nice to have a speed back. It would be nice to have a better back, but I disagree with the idea that a guy is a great backup, but not a solid starter. Last year he was a solid starter, this year he's not. RB is one position where you succeed or fail. It's obvious. If you can't succeed as a starter, you can't succeed as a backup. If you can make positive gains then you have value and it's up to the coach to get you in those situations.

True that even at his best in 2010 and 2011 he hasn't been the kind of starter you don't try to upgrade, but that's a different matter and not a measure of his speed. I also think they should have looked for a complimentary back with speed for one of those BS thunder and lightning type deals because I think that makes it tougher for teams to gear up to stop both. Some lower tier small scat back - Leon type. I guess McKnight was supposed to provide that, but we haven't seen much out of the backfield.

I've been thinking that all along, but I'm starting to change my mind. I don't think anyone is going to be offering Greene any real money, and that as a result he could wind up back with the Jets under a modest deal. He is a decent backup type.

I agree, but it's early yet. He may get rolling. I have always been of the opinion that he is worth being on the team, but not a big contract. Sign him to a Derrick Mason deal, not a Santonio Holmes deal and we're happy.

Too young to remember Freeman? See if you can get tapes of the playoff games against Cincy and Oakland in '82. The guy was an absolute monster.

Agreed on points on Greene. He also acts like a toddler who just fell down and skinned his knee after every run. Be cool if he got up and broke big plays afterwards but he never seems to. He just runs, falls down then acts like he's inured again. If we had a better feature back he would make a nice late game grinder. Sorta like Lamont Jordan. Who vanished into obscurity when he left here and became a featured back. Greene is a similar case IMO.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k5reDsSIiAk

Speed aside, and there is no doubt that Greene will never be nicknamed "Scatman", he seems to be totally devoid of vision on the field. His other fatal flaw is that he runs at one speed -- no upshifts or downshifts. The dude has no gears whatsoever. Speed itself, does not make a good running back -- no more than a blazing fastball always coming straight down the pipe with no movement can be effective. The ability to see the field and react is where its at.

It's not Greene's speed that annoys me (although that leaves a lot to be desired), it's his lack of good instincts. He runs into the pile rather than waiting for any kind of hole to open, and he misses obvious holes. Add to that his inability to break tackles or gain any yards at all after contact...ugh.

Like I've said all along, he's a good #2. That's it.

Mines too. I was pulling for Greene but the bottomline is that he's a back up. Thats his role and he should have a very good NFL as a back up. Nothing to be ashamed of lol.

I was defending him during the offseason but enough is enough the guy just isn't a great runningback.

Speed aside, and there is no doubt that Greene will never be nicknamed "Scatman", he seems to be totally devoid of vision on the field. His other fatal flaw is that he runs at one speed -- no upshifts or downshifts. The dude has no gears whatsoever. Speed itself, does not make a good running back -- no more than a blazing fastball always coming straight down the pipe with no movement can be effective. The ability to see the field and react is where its at.

I never said speed is the only ability one would need to be a good running back, if that were the case, I would support Joe McKnight as our #1 running back. Theres a lot of things that go into being a great runningback, but I think speed, ability to make people miss, vision, and ball security are at the top of the list.

I was defending him during the offseason but enough is enough the guy just isn't a great runningback.

I never said speed is the only ability one would need to be a good running back, if that were the case, I would support Joe McKnight as our #1 running back. Theres a lot of things that go into being a great runningback, but I think speed, ability to make people miss, vision, and ball security are at the top of the list.

You don't know what you don't know. Back to your parents basement and your yellow sheets.

It's not Greene's speed that annoys me (although that leaves a lot to be desired), it's his lack of good instincts. He runs into the pile rather than waiting for any kind of hole to open, and he misses obvious holes. Add to that his inability to break tackles or gain any yards at all after contact...ugh.

Like I've said all along, he's a good #2. That's it.

Our whole roster is full of #2.

See what I did there, oh yeah, that was a poop joke!!! ! WAHAHAHAHA

RB is one position where you succeed or fail. It's obvious. If you can't succeed as a starter, you can't succeed as a backup. If you can make positive gains then you have value and it's up to the coach to get you in those situations.

Absolute fact.

However, although Greene may have "made it" as a starter, I think his only existing value is as a clock eater. He hasn't moved the chains or taken any of the heat off the passing game this season. I think there's a chance Powell could move the chains with the existing line at their existing level of competence with the new run blocking schemes. Hope we get to prove it out soon.

I love it when someone else rips Greene. When I do it I am trying to push my agenda. For what its worth, you are 100% correct with your post. Well except for Foster being the best back in the league. Greene MUST GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

why do so many of your posts have some reference to you being victimized somehow? on a message board when you voice an opinion there are gonna be people who don't agree and argue. thats the nature of the forums. the experience is not unique to you. i get the feeling you have gone through life either not having too many people ever disagree with you or eternally butt hurt.

Archived