Worst Case, Does Rex get the Axe after 1 Losing Season?

Jet27

Did you know the great Bill Cowher twice coached a team that was 6-10. You know who's never done that? Rex Ryan.

Why people think Bill Cowher is Vince Lombardi I'll never understand. He won't get 16 years to make it happen in NY.

Jif & Pac, I wasn't advocating it, I was prognosticating it based on how Woody has acted in the past. You know he is very reactionary.

BTW, the last 7 games under Rex are damning for his coaching resume.

The Jets are 2-5 with 4 blowout losses, including 2 utter embarrassments.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Jif & Pac, I wasn't advocating it, I was prognosticating it based on how Woody has acted in the past. You know he is very reactionary.

Chan Gaileys last 10 games are riddled with utter embarassments and I don't hear a peep about him being replaced.

Rex is being victimized for being a bit of a loud mouth. I get it but don't think that means he gets fired. In Woodys eyes the Jets have never been more popular - albeit in a Lady Gaga kind of way.

I think a complete meltdown coupled with sagging ticket sales would be the only recipie for Johnson to even consider a change. And even then he'd at the very least give him one more season with a healthy team to make it happen.

I'm really starting to sour on Tanny though.. Sanchez and Holmes have made him look like a fool with those enormous contracts.

Chan Gaileys last 10 games are riddled with utter embarassments and I don't hear a peep about him being replaced.

Rex is being victimized for being a bit of a loud mouth. I get it but don't think that means he gets fired. In Woodys eyes the Jets have never been more popular - albeit in a Lady Gaga kind of way.

I think a complete meltdown coupled with sagging ticket sales would be the only recipie for Johnson to even consider a change. And even then he'd at the very least give him one more season with a healthy team to make it happen.

I'm really starting to sour on Tanny though.. Sanchez and Holmes have made him look like a fool with those enormous contracts.

Buffalo is not really the franchise to look to in supporting an argument.

That said, I believe in the Mangini-Browns scenario BG mentioned, with the Jets getting a new GM and Rex being on a 1 year tryout.

Rex will be gone in either a total meltdown scenario or Woody begging some name to take over as GM/HC. Those are the only 2 scenarios I see Rex being ousted.

I'm not so sure it even comes down to Tannenbaum. I think Terry Bradway and the entire scouting department has sucked. They need to blow up the whole deal. I like Rex and think he is a good coach. He is too player friendly, but he is a good coach. Though if they ever decide to blow it all up, I don't think Rex would survive . They will get a pass this season, but after that Woody will want to make headlines. Unfortunately, I don't think Woody has a clue what he is doing from a football standpoint either.

I brought up Cowher because some years ago we discussed this issue, and at that time we speculated that Mangini was Tanny's fall guy to take the hit which in turned saved Tanny's ass from the chopping block. I do believe though, that Tanny has got to take responsibility though and as another said the last 7 regular season games (or so) have been nightmares.

I believe Cowher would never come here if Tanny is still in place.

Ok, lets reserve judgement until after the Jets are out of playoff contention. Its clear that if the Jets make the playoffs then Rex is safe. If Rex misses the playoffs again it will not be good. Mark Sanchez appears to not be the answer. If they do not make the playoffs, wholesale changes need to be made...

I'm not so sure it even comes down to Tannenbaum. I think Terry Bradway and the entire scouting department has sucked. They need to blow up the whole deal. I like Rex and think he is a good coach. He is too player friendly, but he is a good coach. Though if they ever decide to blow it all up, I don't think Rex would survive . They will get a pass this season, but after that Woody will want to make headlines. Unfortunately, I don't think Woody has a clue what he is doing from a football standpoint either.

I think it's kind of considered an assumption at this point that if Tanny is sent packing, a new GM will be sending most (if not all) of the scouting department packing their sh*t up along with him, at most keeping some of them around through the draft given the timing. As far as Rex goes, I think he would at least survive the initial round of firings, giving the opportunity for the new GM to weigh in on the coaching situation.

really should be 1-6 Phin game was a gift from a carpenter just sayin

rexey el fraudo

I brought up Cowher because some years ago we discussed this issue, and at that time we speculated that Mangini was Tanny's fall guy to take the hit which in turned saved Tanny's ass from the chopping block. I do believe though, that Tanny has got to take responsibility though and as another said the last 7 regular season games (or so) have been nightmares.

I believe Cowher would never come here if Tanny is still in place.

Please look at Tanny for what Tanny is .... Hes a capologist and thats it. if he was a real GM Badway would not still be here holding his hand and leading him in a bad direction. Tanny is what he is and its NOT a GM hes good at what he does and always seems to make room financially when needed but lets face it the guy needs someone like a Parcells to pull the strings, you know the guy that hired him in the first place as an accountant. Having Badway/Rex make too many suggestions puts us where we are at now, in the toilet.

Things might have been drastically different if Rex would have had the balls to send Shooty packing the first day he walked in the Jets facility. Who knows who might have been signed to lead our young QB if that was the case and who knows if we would be bragging on a few rings

Losses alone won't lead to Rex getting fired. It'll take a complete collapse, a total loss of the locker room, stuff like that.

Rex should get something of a pass for the injuries to Revis and Holmes, but Tannenbaum shouldn't. Tannenbaum is the reason the Jets have crappy depth at CB, and no depth (or starters?) at WR. Really, not much depth anywhere. He's been blessed with very good health on this Jets team, his practice of trading away picks and being the highest bidder in free agency is going to bite him in the ass this year.

I said before that in think a new GM should hang onto Rex and spend a year evaluating the entire franchise. The cap room for a full makeover doesn't become available until 2014, anyway. They're somewhat stuck with Sanchez and Tebow for 2013, too. Reason enough to can Tannenbaum right there.

Losses alone won't lead to Rex getting fired. It'll take a complete collapse, a total loss of the locker room, stuff like that.

Rex should get something of a pass for the injuries to Revis and Holmes, but Tannenbaum shouldn't. Tannenbaum is the reason the Jets have crappy depth at CB, and no depth (or starters?) at WR. Really, not much depth anywhere. He's been blessed with very good health on this Jets team, his practice of trading away picks and being the highest bidder in free agency is going to bite him in the ass this year.

I said before that in think a new GM should hang onto Rex and spend a year evaluating the entire franchise. The cap room for a full makeover doesn't become available until 2014, anyway. They're somewhat stuck with Sanchez and Tebow for 2013, too. Reason enough to can Tannenbaum right there.

Rexey is a blooming idiot

You people are thinking too hard about this. Woody will fire Rex only if he concludes that Rex is costing him money. Injuries or not--remember, Mangini was 8-3 when Favre tore his bicep--there will be no safe haven for Rex if the stadium is empty in December.

You people are thinking too hard about this. Woody will fire Rex only if he concludes that Rex is costing him money. Injuries or not--remember, Mangini was 8-3 when Favre tore his bicep--there will be no safe haven for Rex if the stadium is empty in December.

Ummm try November, maybe October, i heard there were 10k tickets avail for Texans

You'd have to wonder why Rex would sign on for that--a probation year under a new GM, with no autonomy, two bad QBs and a declining defense? He'd be wise to clean his hands of the whole thing and sneak off to coach Jacksonville.

I think Rex gets a pass because it's not entirely his fault that there is a glaring lack of talent on this roster. Even the two AFCCG years I think this team was playing slightly above their talent level. This team hasn't drafted an impact player in a few years, and IMO is the primary reason they're struggling. If anybody deserves to be fired it's Tannenbaum for completely destroying whatever chemistry this team had in 2010 by getting rid of so many solid players like Ellis, Edwards and Cotchery.

You'd have to wonder why Rex would sign on for that--a probation year under a new GM, with no autonomy, two bad QBs and a declining defense? He'd be wise to clean his hands of the whole thing and sneak off to coach Jacksonville.

He wouldn't have to sign on, he already has. He's under contract. If he quits, he's a quitter, but the Jets would still hold his rights. I think under that scenario, he'd coach.

People who want to fire Rex after one losing season are the reason why this fan base doesn't progress.

The Jets have been firing people for 40 years since Joe Willy's deal with the devil. Firing people doesn't actually make the team better. See Sparano, Tony.

The Jets have been firing people for 40 years since Joe Willy's deal with the devil. Firing people doesn't actually make the team better. See Sparano, Tony.

The problem is not the firing of people over the 40 Years, it's the people they have hired.

Who have they fired that they should not have?

For the record, I thiught Mangini deserved another year, but was OK with firing him.

If a team believes its HC is not the right guy, why wait around?

I think Rex is a terrible HC. Good defensive guy, not great, good, terrible HC.

Archived