I still believe in Mark!!!!

JollyGreen

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I thought this year would be a complete rebuild combining this year's draft with next year's.

Meaning: Sanchez/Garrard would play out the string of games and get a QB from 2014.

Now with Geno, who knows?  Maybe he could be the man?

Of course we root for him. He's a Jet. Why would we NOT root for him? I expect him to salvage his career n have an average yr and get traded for an early 3rd or a late 2nd day pick, while assuming Geno will take the lead. Can this be the Rivers/Brees situation? Absolutely, except, Sanchez would be under contract n Jets would get something back.

Of course we root for him. He's a Jet. Why would we NOT root for him? I expect him to salvage his career n have an average yr and get traded for an early 3rd or a late 2nd day pick, while assuming Geno will take the lead. Can this be the Rivers/Brees situation? Absolutely, except, Sanchez would be under contract n Jets would get something back.

That's your expectation? That's beyond my wildest dreams. 

I don't see how that would happen.  He makes too much money (no, it isn't guaranteed, and other than a $2M RB in March a team could cut him at any time later in the spring/summer without doing much cap damage).  But he'd have to "salvage" his career to the point that someone would be willing to pay him $11M just for 2014, in case Sanchez is inflexible in working out a new deal that pays him less.

But putting that aside as being possible, if we kept him for another year and Sanchez actually salvaged his career, the Jets would just keep him.  There is far, far more invested in Sanchez than in Geno Smith, and if he was a good QB he doesn't have a cap-busting contract for the next 3 years ($11M, $13.5M, $11.75M of new money through 2016).  In this (unrealistic in my view) fantasy, the Jets would keep Sanchez and instead trade Geno Smith for a day 2 pick.

But that's not happening either.  He will suck and then get cut, either this offseason (most likely) or after the season.  Mark's best hope for sticking around here as the unquestioned starter in 2013 is that Garrard gets hurt over the summer and that Jets don't think Smith can handle the starting duties right away, forcing them to go with Sanchez for at least the start of the season.  

But I think it's a little coincidental that almost amount of cap space cleared by Ferguson's restructure is almost the exact amount that would accelerate to 2013's cap if Sanchez was cut/traded right away.  I think it's still likely they'd do a June 2 cut (or June 2 designation if done sooner).  Even if we left those dollars unspent in 2013 and it's 6 in 1 / half dozen in the other in actual available 2014 space, sometimes it's psychological for an owner who has paid him so much that the name doesn't appear on the balance sheet next year.

I know I sound crazy but I'm still rooting for him!

I whole heartedly supported him for the first part of last year.  He deserved it after 2 afccg appearences.  He was the major driving force in our suck factor last year. You cant win NFL games without putting up some points.  he was terrible 2 years ago and was flat out disgusting last year.  I have moved on...

I know I sound crazy but I'm still rooting for him!

Hi Jolly Green!  Welcome to JetNation!  Hope you dont get too upset with the other posters here.  We're just a bunch of bitter, miserable fans (as another member told us yesterday).

Please dont take any of this personally... in fact, you should take this as a compliment that the other posters are making jokes and poking fun.  You see, here at JN we like to have  some fun.  We try to outdo each other with one-liners, gay jokes, song lyrics & videos, and most of all outright thrashing of your post.  We normally dont pick on the new people too often as our leader, Maxman, will smite us if we are too mean to new people... Why?  Cause thats less ad money he can make off of us if we scare you away.  BTW, you like JN?  Please click on some ads above... JN is like PBS. Full of useless programming that no one cares about and sometimes there are furry animals and people treating other members like they are a hand puppet.  And if Max invites you to a Welcome to JN party in the JN Mod Lounge? Dont go.

I hope you like it here, have a sense of humor, and participate regularly.  99% of the posters here are morons with lousy opinions.  So you dont need to be worried about your own lousy opinions.

That's your expectation? That's beyond my wildest dream

Yes, I stick by it. Mark is average, but when he doesn't have a good core around him, he'll be terrible. He thrives off of confidence, just like he did his first two years. In games he sucked, he generally started playing terrible after an int. In other words, he's a streaky QB. Not sure if I want that kind of QB, but I do own his jersey and really just want to save the jersey. It was pretty expensive afterall.

Im rooting for him too. I dont want anyone in a Jet uniform to suck.

Same here.  Although I have no legitimate hope of him having a good season, it would be fantastic if he did.  With all the focus and speculation on releasing him (and the dead money implications for 2013), many fail to understand that a huge bounce back season would be a jackpot for the Jets.  Mark is under contract through the 2016 and could bring back assets in a trade if he were to prove he is worth something to another team.  Do I think it is going to happen?  No.  But there is always that snowball's chance in hell -- stranger things have happened.

Yes, I stick by it. Mark is average, but when he doesn't have a good core around him, he'll be terrible. He thrives off of confidence, just like he did his first two years. In games he sucked, he generally started playing terrible after an int. In other words, he's a streaky QB. Not sure if I want that kind of QB, but I do own his jersey and really just want to save the jersey. It was pretty expensive afterall.

Average? I am going to like, have to disagree with you there. Ummmmmm, yeah.

Same here.  Although I have no legitimate hope of him having a good season, it would be fantastic if he did.  With all the focus and speculation on releasing him (and the dead money implications for 2013), many fail to understand that a huge bounce back season would be a jackpot for the Jets.  Mark is under contract through the 2016 and could bring back assets in a trade if he were to prove he is worth something to another team.  Do I think it is going to happen?  No.  But there is always that snowball's chance in hell -- stranger things have happened.

Assuming 2 rookies starting on the OL and nothing added in the WR dept I expect about the same result this year on offense. At least we have 2 decent RB;s on the roster who might just open things up a bit but I have no faith at all it will be enough for Sanchez to have a good year.

Just about every metric area agrees with this assessment.

Let's start with the basics. Sanchez finished the 2012 season tied for 30th in completion percentage (54.3), yards per attempt (6.36) and interceptions (18), and finished tied for 31st in interception percentage (4.0).

He didn't fare any better in the more advanced metrics. Sanchez's 23.4 Total QBR mark placed him dead last in the league in that all-compassing statistic. He had seven games with a Total QBR mark of 12.1 or lower and failed to reach double digits in this metric in three of his last four games.

Sanchez did not fare well on vertical passes, as ESPN Stats and Information had him ranked tied for 30th in yards per attempt (YPA) on aerials that traveled 11 or more yards downfield. This failure was key in his placing 34th in the league in pro-football-reference.com'sadjusted yards per attempt metric and 32nd in their net yards per attempt metric.

He also faltered in the bad decision rate (BDR) metric that gauges how often a quarterback makes a mental error that leads to a turnover opportunity for the opposing team. His 2.5 percent mark here ranked tied for 29th in the league.

[+] Enlargeny_g_marksts9_200.jpg
Nick Laham/Getty ImagesMark Sanchez has had a disappointing career with the Jets.

To be fair, some of these statistical failures were due to the lack of talent around him, as the Jets receiving corps fell apart last season due to injury and inexperience, but it isn't as if Sanchez has ever had superb production with the Jets.

He has never finished a season with a yards per attempt (YPA) mark of 7.0 yards or more, even when he had a dominant vertical threat in Braylon Edwards. The same lack of success can be found in his Total QBR marks, as he ranked 30th in this category in 2011 (33.6), 18th in 2010 (48.0) and 26th in 2009 (31.6). His BDR marks haven't been better, as he has never rated higher than tied for 23rd in the league in that category.

http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/9223784/nfl-why-new-york-jets-cut-mark-sanchez

Archived