The OFFICIAL Preseason Game 1 Gameday Thread

gangreenman

• Replies 459
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Boy, this board has disintegrated into a bunch of trash. I could have stayed on my old board to read this $hit. Why do you guys bother responding to idiotic posts?

You remind me of my 12 yr. old twin boys.

Talking Jets game.... I was glad to see come back strong and I wish they would have called a couple of deep routes for Geno. Read option is sunk coming out of port, Didn't see much from Demario Davis, Harris made some plays, Sheldon was ok, Wilk a beast, Coples pad level sucks(gets stood up too much) Milliner was ok for first time,Pleased with Hill, spadola and BE and Kerley. Gates jumped out.

Colon got handled a bit along with Peterman and Howard. Can't wait to see Winters next week. Hope he starts week 1.

Powell looked good as did Spahn. Bohanon did a good job. Can't wait to see Ivory next week. Rex will have that OL doing suicides on Monday. Way too many penalties.

Spadola went down holding his knee. Not sure why he was still in the game considering he was one of the very few bright spots.

Geno never got far enough into his read to throw it deep, and he stares down one receiver the whole time.

Kerley was the only WR worth talking about, he played very well as usual.

Powell looked average. 

Edwards looked from ok to terrible.

Gates looked decent, also left with an injury I believe.

We pretty much agree on the rest. 

Boy, this board has disintegrated into a bunch of trash. I could have stayed on my old board to read this $hit. Why do you guys bother responding to idiotic posts?

Talking Jets game.... I was glad to see come back strong and I wish they would have called a couple of deep routes for Geno. Read option is sunk coming out of port, Didn't see much from Demario Davis, Harris made some plays, Sheldon was ok, Wilk a beast, Coples pad level sucks(gets stood up too much) Milliner was ok for first time,Pleased with Hill, spadola and BE and Kerley. Gates jumped out.

Colon got handled a bit along with Peterman and Howard. Can't wait to see Winters next week. Hope he starts week 1.

Powell looked good as did Spahn. Bohanon did a good job. Can't wait to see Ivory next week. Rex will have that OL doing suicides on Monday. Way too many penalties.

e - don't mistake frustration humor for any.thing more than what it is. We're all here for the same reason.

Online is scary bad, regardless of what Greg Buttle says. Colon was mediocre and peterman needs to be cut outright like tomorrow. Ducasse is another immediate cut a I have no idea what Oboushy was doing out there but it wasn't blocking, that's for damned sure. He did hold nicely more than a few times. But peterman is worse. He was constantly chasing his matchup. As a group, they are are generally gigantic but slow footed. Add Austin Howard to the big/ not so athletic group as well, but he's crafty enough and has decent technique. Overall I think we had less than 50 yds rushing. All the QBs got hit and hurried and harassed. This will be the third season the line play has declined from the previous year unless winters steps up. Online is so incredibly important and so often neglected. This team will go nowhere unless Idzik starts paying attention the trenches on BOTH sides of the ball.

Yeah, the Jets are the best, and I'm so happy they could finally hire a GM with such a great track record. Its totally awesome that the Super Bowl is in New York this year because Sanchez could really use the homefield advantage for once, and it will be awsome if me and my boys could score some tickets. Geno looked great injuring his ankle untouched. He looked like Joe Montana before that. Imagine that? Having Peyton Manning (Sanchez) AND RGIII (Geno) on the same roster. Totally sick bro!

You know why I love posts like this?  Because it proves beyond question to the entire board that not only is the poster of it so unbelievably wrong to begin with, but is also so completely incapable of making an even slightly valid point at any given time, that they have to resort to making such a pointless post that, perhaps best of all, they somehow think is clever despite it not being possible for it to be any further from that, and in reality has nothing to do with any point anyone has ever made or even comes close to it, and instead simply is proof positive of that person's complete lack of understanding of any aspects of the game of football.

You're right. I will never point out that this team has no idea what it's doing again. You are so smart and awesome. Totally my fault.

The best players on this team are also the youngest.  It's been a long damn time since we can say that.  If you were expecting anything but an awful season this year, that's on you.  This is a rebuild, like it or not.

You know why I love posts like this?  Because it proves beyond question to the entire board that not only is the poster of it so unbelievably wrong to begin with, but is also so completely incapable of making an even slightly valid point at any given time, that they have to resort to making such a pointless post that, perhaps best of all, they somehow think is clever despite it not being possible for it to be any further from that, and in reality has nothing to do with any point anyone has ever made or even comes close to it, and instead simply is proof positive of that person's complete lack of understanding of any aspects of the game of football.

You are a legend in your own mind.

The best players on this team are also the youngest.  It's been a long damn time since we can say that.  If you were expecting anything but an awful season this year, that's on you.  This is a rebuild, like it or not.

That is a good point. Perhaps my expectations were too high.

Geno isn't ready... the playbook is totally scaled down.  He had some nice throws and was victimized by a lot of penalties, but ultimately, he's not going out there when they're calling such a greater variety for Sanchez and even McElroy.  As you point out, there were some things to like tonight.  But, this is still a bad team.  As I said, theres some good young talent, and hopefully we can grow around it.

Avoid. The. Game. Thread. At. All. Costs.

LOL.

Mcelroy was the most impressive quarterback tonight. Too bad he won't be given a chance to play this season. Sanchez was bad and good. I hope Geno Smith starts in the 2nd preseason game. The Jets defense was good as usual. The running game was non existant. It's preseason too early to evaluate how this team will do.Go Jets.

You are a legend in your own mind.

Are you really not even able to comprehend that your attempts at these supposed insults don't even actually make any sense?  This statement doesn't even have any sort of relevancy to anything I've said.  Of course, you have actually yet to make even one single point to support your position, so perhaps it's simply too much for me to expect anything you post to have any sort of coherency to it at all.

I wouldn't entirely agree with this.  A number of years ago they had some young players in Revis, Mangold, Dbrick, Harris, Greene, Sanchez, Keller, etc.

They even had some nice runs, but now those guys are no longer the young bucks.    We will see how it all plays out, but at the end of the day if Smith isn't any good, you're back at the same spot with a bad QB. 

The Jets dropped their preseason opener to the Detroit Lions by a score of 26 – 17.  It is the preseason so we will hold off on a full break down of the game.  But here is some reaction and injury updates.  Let’s start with the injuries.

Injury Updates

Geno Smith was injured but told the media after the game that his ankle injury isn’t serious.  He wants to practice on Sunday.

The Jets are thin at running back and that situation got worse with an injury to John Griffin.

Chris Ivory says he will practice this week and wants to play on Saturday against the Jaguars.  The Jets need Ivory back on the field now that Griffin is hurt.  Add in the head injury for Joe McKnight and the uncertain status of Mike Goodson and running back is an even bigger concern.  Ivory, Powell and Chad Spann all have big opportunities to stand out in front of them.

LB Garrett McIntrye and T Dennis Landolt were both injured in the game.

Quarterback

Mark Sanchez did the unthinkable.  He threw another pick-6 to a defensive lineman.  Simply put, that is the one thing that Jets can not have happen.  Yet it keeps happening with Sanchez.  Mark did bounce back and ended the day 10/13 with a TD and 125 yards passing.

Geno Smith was 6/7 with 47 yards passing.  He looked like a rookie at times and Marty Morhinweg seemed to keep it very simple for him which you would expect in his first game.  The ankle injury is worth watching, any missed practice time will really hurt Smith’s chances of grabbing the starting job in week one.

When you add in Greg McElroy, the Jets QBs were 27/39 on the night with 292 yards passing.

Unscientific Thoughts (In No Particular Order)

1.  The wide receivers were actually open.  That is worth mentioning because that hasn’t been the case for the Jets in recent years.  Clyde Gates looked explosive with 3 catches for 39 yards in limited action.

2.  The Running Game was nowhere to be found.  This actually could be a bigger cause for concern than the QB situation.  Yes, that is a scary thought but the running game did not exist in this game.  The Jets are working in two new guards but when your line reads 16 carries for 37 yards you know you have a lot of work to do.

3.  One positive for the offensive line is they are feisty.  There was a lot of pushing and shoving after the play was over.  A lot of that is because the players are cranky in camp.  But it does set a nice tone.

4.  Penalties:  This will be a big focus for Rex and company this week, there were too many penalties in this game.  Most of which were mental errors (offside false start).  You can be sure that the players will hear a lot about the 11 85 line. (11 penalties for 85 yards).

5.  Dee Milliner played like a rookie, he had an excellent play where he knocked down a pass in the end zone but later he had a missed tackle that led to a first down.  There was more good than bad with Milliner though.

6.  The Defense:  Quinton Coples had a sack and the first team defense looked good.  Antwan Barnes is going to help the pass rush but he had two penalties in this game (offsides).

That is it Jets fans, a very unscientific recap of the first game.  Remember, it is the preseason so there is no need to panic over a loss.  Keep an eye on the injury situation and we will see how much progress they have made when they take the field on Saturday at home against the Jaguars.

7.  Tight End Improvement?  Jets QBs threw to tight ends 3 times, and each pass was completed.  Kellen Winslow, if healthy, is an immense upgrade over Dustin Keller.  And the slimmed down Jeff Cumberland caught a 26 yard touchdown pass from Mark Sanchez.

I wouldn't entirely agree with this.  A number of years ago they had some young players in Revis, Mangold, Dbrick, Harris, Greene, Sanchez, Keller, etc.

They even had some nice runs, but now those guys are no longer the young bucks.    We will see how it all plays out, but at the end of the day if Smith isn't any good, you're back at the same spot with a bad QB. 

It was a lot easier to assemble a contender when most of those guys were on cheap (or cheaper) rookie deals.  Leaves a lot of cap room for others.  When those guys' rookie deals are up (or for Revis, before it's up), and they're retained, most of the cap room you had for other FA studs is now used up.

That's why a team like San Fran or Denver may look great but fast-forward 2 years and you'll see they aren't going to keep that team together anymore.  Already started with Denver with Dumervil.  Wait until the pricetag for Demaryius Thomas goes up from $1M to $12M, when Von Miller's pricetag jumps from $5M to $14M, when Welker's cap number jumps from $4M in '13 to $8M in '14, and so forth.

No argument on Smith.  He'll either be good enough or he won't be.  Sanchez wasn't (and isn't).  The only not-so-bad news about him sucking, if it happens, is that he's making #2 QB money for 4 seasons and not pro bowl money like Sanchez has made.  So if someone else is available in the draft or FA, Smith's cap number and draft position won't dictate that we give the guy a minimum of 2-3 seasons as a starter no matter what.

Avoid. The. Game. Thread. At. All. Costs.

LOL.

Yeah, maybe you're right. It might be better to write emails to myself in a "Dr. Jeckyl/ Mr. Hyde" fashion to discuss the game. At least that way, I can ki11 off the

guy who loses the argument..... no, wait, I don't think I want to do that??! :winking0001:

Mcelroy was the most impressive quarterback tonight. Too bad he won't be given a chance to play this season. Sanchez was bad and good. I hope Geno Smith starts in the 2nd preseason game. The Jets defense was good as usual. The running game was non existant. It's preseason too early to evaluate how this team will do.Go Jets.

McElroy was up against 3rd stringers. I hope he would look halfway decent.

Geno's ankle will determine if he starts next week or not. He didn't look stellar before the injury.

I don't want to give short shrift to any of the very amusing, if harassing, posts in here regarding my ability to attract girlfriends and/or friends and/or gay friends. They were all very funny. I'll respond by saying two things and two things only: 1. The bitches dig my homespun, Michael Cera-like appeal, and 2. If any of you haters want to meet behind your local AM/PM mart for an ass-kicking, you know where to find me.

I don't want to give short shrift to any of the very amusing, if harassing, posts in here regarding my ability to attract girlfriends and/or friends and/or gay friends. They were all very funny. I'll respond by saying two things and two things only: 1. The bitches dig my homespun, Michael Cera-like appeal, and 2. If any of you haters want to meet behind your local AM/PM mart for an ass-kicking, you know where to find me.

You're on Th0mas.

Archived