Have you accepted Geno as your QB and savior?

T0mShane

I wiil be wating to see how his first GQ shoot turns out to make my decision. Personally I think the rest of you should as wel..

Yeah, really want to see him in a pair of white jeans before coming to any premature conclusions.

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Geno was stepping up in the pocket yesterday, that is huge progress for a guy that kept backpedaling earlier in the year.  He just has to stop the flat footed throws like the one that ended up as pick six.  When he steps into the throw he has a gun and throws with accuracy.  

I think you're looking at about half of what Geno will be, and you gotta like what you see IMO. He has the arm, he has poise, he gets better as the game gets bigger, and he doesn't let mistakes or bad games spiral on him. It remains to be seen how far how can go in terms of reading defenses and anticipating coverages, but he looks great for a guy who's learning on the fly.

That said, I'd almost guarantee that Idzik spends another relatively high pick on a QB next year to insulate the organization in the event that Geno doesn't become a superstar. I'm not talking about burning a 1, but I could see him spending a third on an AJ McCarron-type player, and chasing a vet free agent besides.

I think number 39 is the savoir if your into that kinda thing. maybe #s 2,11,77,66,74,67,60,96,94,98,91

Is Joe Flacco a franchise QB?

Was Eli Manning?

Rings or no rings, neither is HOF material.  

Boomer Esiason, Drew Bledsoe, Ken Anderson, Ken Stabler, Matt Ryan, Philip Rivers, Donovan McNabb, Phil Simms, Jay Cutler, Tony Romo, Matthew Stafford, Joe Theismann, and others I'm not thinking of.

All franchise QBs.  None are in or will be in the HOF.

A franchise QB is someone who is good enough to get the team to the playoffs, particularly with other pieces to the puzzle in place.  After that, a guy who, in the right place at the right time, has the requisite leadership skills and who can look like a HOF guy on the field during an isolated playoff run here or there.  

Disagree.

I'm with LBS.  Franchise denotes they are worth the franchise.  That means guys like Flacco and Eli might make the list, but not the HOF, but Boomer?  Cutler?  No ******* way.  A guy like Luck?  Maybe people that teams put everything on.  The Ravens have done it with Flacco.  It remains to be seen if it will work.  Simms?  Not a ******* chance. 

It's time to get behind Geno Smith as the franchise quarterback of your New York Jets. Not since Namath have the Jets drafted a quarterback with this combination of physical skills, toughness, smarts, and instincts. Yes, he's thrown some terrible balls, but he's improving by the minute. I think he's going to be a top-fifteen quarterback very soon and, given the proper coaching and complementary talent, he could develop into one of the elite players in this league, all because of his mental fortitude and, dare I say, grit.

Get behind him, people. Train is leaving the station.

All depends on what you think a franchise qb is ? I think he's a good qb that's it . It's not a bad thing he's good but if I could get someone better I would . One way to think abt it if I take all the young qbs now luck rg3 Wilson. Kapernick. Geno . Geno is 5 th

He will go as far as our d can go

For serious: there is a lot to like about Geno.  Mainly, his short memory.  He doesnt go into a shell after a mistake, he doesnt get gun shy, the kid bounces back nicely from mistakes.  Here's my take so far:

Positives:

Big lively arm, he can make any throw

Accurate, he puts the ball where it needs to be for the receiver to get some YAC

Comfortable, he doesnt look like a rookie back there, doesnt get rattled

Leadership, this team loves him, you can see it, he commands the huddle

Ability to run, his first down run and TD run were awesome, was not expecting that aspect of his game to be so solid

Big play ability, the kid is exciting to watch and I think he's truly a QB who you can score anywhere on the field with

Negatives:

He's still leaving plays on the field.  A couple of under throws yesterday where he tried to finesse it instead of let it rip

Brain farts, that pick yesterday was terrible.  No way on earth that ball should have been thrown

Foot work, leaves a lot to be desired, he flushes out the back way too quickly on pressure up the middle, tries to make it up with arm strength, could lead to trouble

Play action, he doesnt really sell it, he puts the ball out there to go through the motion but doesnt hide it well

Protection audibles, not sure how much of this is on Mangold, I know when Sanchez was coming up Mangold was making adjustments for him...but it seems Geno is making them, he doesnt always see when he needs to keep an extra guy in the backfield or on the line.

Protecting the ball, just outright needs to do a better job of keeping the ball closer to his body, besides the INT's

The beauty is, all the negatives are extremely correctable. 

I like what I see and I'm really excited to watch him continue to develop.  I think he can be a very good player in this league.

All depends on what you think a franchise qb is ? I think he's a good qb that's it . It's not a bad thing he's good but if I could get someone better I would . One way to think abt it if I take all the young qbs now luck rg3 Wilson. Kapernick. Geno . Geno is 5 th

He will go as far as our d can go

He's a rookie, those dudes are not.  And Kap is in his 3rd year and sucks.  He's so overrated its not even funny.

Yeah, I am sold. The dude has 4 things that make me believe he is going to be the guy for us for a while. 1) Arm strength, he has it. 2) Guts. 3) Very short memory, he seems to be able to make a horrible play or throw, and forget it very quickly and move on. 4) Intelligence, he picked up the offense faster than I would have imagined possible.

I don't even want to see us draft a QB earlier than the 3rd or 4th round next year. I would focus on getting a playmaking TE or WR for him on offense and fill other holes with our early round picks.

As he gets more comfortable he is planting his feet and stepping into his passes.  His mechanics are very nice and I think he will develop nicer finesses passes as the game continues to slow down for him.

I also love tht he can stick those 3rd and 15 passes in there.  Sanchez could not do that

ya know what's a fun game? 

go back in the archives to 11-12-2009. Roughly the same point in Mark's career where Geno is now... 

Except at this point in his career, Sanchez's completion percentage was almost 6 points lower and he was throwing for a full yard-plus fewer YPA. So, basically the game guy.

It's time to get behind Geno Smith as the franchise quarterback of your New York Jets. Not since Namath have the Jets drafted a quarterback with this combination of physical skills, toughness, smarts, and instincts. Yes, he's thrown some terrible balls, but he's improving by the minute. I think he's going to be a top-fifteen quarterback very soon and, given the proper coaching and complementary talent, he could develop into one of the elite players in this league, all because of his mental fortitude and, dare I say, grit.

Get behind him, people. Train is leaving the station.

This... Thanks Tom.  I got tired of argauing with other posters about giving this kid a chance and not jumping on the backup bandwagon when he may make a mistake.

There are some things I like and some things that turn my stomach.  The hope is he continues to improve this year and moves forward in year 2.  The fear is he turns into a mediocre QB once teams figure him out.  As far as if he is our QB for the forseeable future?  Yep.  He's earned the right to be the starting QB in 2014.

Lets remember one thing...  People were falling all over each other Sanchez's rookie year because of his poise.   http://deadspin.com/5364180/mark-sanchez-overpraise-poised-to-annoy-the-hell-out-of-us

Enough with the Sanchez comparisons already...its not even CLOSE.

Sanchez was not asked to do HALF of what Geno has been asked to do. Sanchez did not have the accuracy thaqt Geno has showen, he does not have the running ability that Geno has shown, he absolutely does not have the poise that Geno has shown (Geno doesn't let bad plays or games spiral out of control), and didn't have the same arm strength.

The Sanchez stuff is over with. Everyone needs to let it go.

I've been up and down on him. I loved the draft pick. He looked terrible at times early. However, it seems like he is putting it all together and I'm hoping he continues to develop. I love his ability to not get rattled by hits or the situation. Every week, even when he struggles it looks like he is improving something. This week it was stepping up in the pocket and resetting his feet. I'm ready to say Geno is going to be a very good QB. Ironically, all of the college QB's look totally overrated and I dont want any of them in the draft, especially over trying to give Geno a chance with Simms as the backup and more weapons on offense.

On another note: Is David Nelson the latest guy that Buffalo didn't coach and use right? He looked really good yesterday too.

To me the biggest reason I am not ready to jump on that train like some of you are is because Geno still has not shown the ability to throw WR's open consistently, waits for the WR to get open before delivering the pass, to be a NFL QB you have to anticipate the WR getting open, because outside of a few great play design's and some attrocious defenses WR's are only open for a short window, and usually that window is closed if you don't throw until he is actually open that is what leads to INT's, and Geno has thrown way to many of them.

Yes this is something that reps, and experience can fix, but until I see signs of him improving on this I am going to hold off putting him into the HOF, let alone declare him the 2014 starting QB.

Disagree.

I'm with LBS.  Franchise denotes they are worth the franchise.  That means guys like Flacco and Eli might make the list, but not the HOF, but Boomer?  Cutler?  No ******* way.  A guy like Luck?  Maybe people that teams put everything on.  The Ravens have done it with Flacco.  It remains to be seen if it will work.  Simms?  Not a ******* chance. 

I think it means it's the QB you're building the franchise around.  Not that they're worth the franchise, whatever that means.  

Maybe a better way of putting it is to ask if this is a guy who, when it's contract time, is worth $15-20M/year or are we better off with a meh guy (e.g. Alex Smith) and spend the extra $10M on an extra stud to replace a scrub, or towards upgrades at 3-4 positions (i.e. shop for $7-8M position players instead of merely $4-5M ones).

lol wut?

go beyond the stats knuckle head :P....Hill looks to be more in control and that's a positive look at him going in the right direction. I'm as critical of WR's as anyone He's just starting to look a bit more polished instead of out right goofy which is the best word I could come up with to explain how he runs. Yesterday he caught two passes that were called back one he caught on the run over the middle and turned it up field nicely and the other in the end zone I liked what I saw on both plays. He also seems to be pretty tough.

ya know what's a fun game? 

go back in the archives to 11-12-2009. Roughly the same point in Mark's career where Geno is now... 

Lol.

Mark's stats through 7 games: 94 of 179 (52%) for 1177 yards, 6.6 Y/A, 6 tds and 10 ints. 20 rushes for 54 yards and 2 tds.

Geno's stats through 7 games: 130 of 223 (58%) for 1723 yards, 7.7 Y/A, 8 tds and 11 ints, 25 rushes for 133 yards and 2 tds.

So not only does Geno have him beat in every category (minus the 1 extra int), he's thrown the ball an extra 44 times and much further down field.  However, disregarding that, both had their team at 4-3, but let's not stop there:

Mark's 2009 Jets: 255 rushes for 1294 yards, 5.1 ypc and 11 tds

Geno's 2013 Jets: 219 rushes for 870 yards: 4.0 ypc and 4 ts 

Try again?

Lol.

Mark's stats through 7 games: 94 of 179 (52%) for 1177 yards, 6.6 Y/A, 6 tds and 10 ints. 20 rushes for 54 yards and 2 tds.

Geno's stats through 7 games: 130 of 223 (58%) for 1723 yards, 7.7 Y/A, 8 tds and 11 ints, 25 rushes for 133 yards and 2 tds.

So not only does Geno have him beat in every category (minus the 1 extra int), he's thrown the ball an extra 44 times and much further down field.  However, disregarding that, both had their team at 4-3, but let's not stop there:

Mark's 2009 Jets: 255 rushes for 1294 yards, 5.1 ypc and 11 tds

Geno's 2013 Jets: 219 rushes for 870 yards: 4.0 ypc and 4 ts 

Try again?

bitownage

lol wut?

I'm fine with Cumberland, he's better than I thought any of the TEs from last year could be. Nothing special, fills a role. With the team having a QB and all now I don't really give a sh*t if the pass catchers are superstars or not. This is Geno Smith's team, it goes where he and his best friends, the defense, take it. 

Welcome aboard, bitches. 

So not only does Geno have him beat in every category (minus the 1 extra int), 

he only has one extra iNt over Mark Sanchez?  that's a good sign. 

I'll put this out there Geno has moments of greatness and moments of sheer idiocy... big arm... can't read defenses... the QB he reminds me of... is Vinny Testaverde. fwiw.  Obviously Vinny didn't run but as passers I think it's a sound comparison. 

as Sperm points out there's gonna be a moment about 4 years from now when the Jets will have to decide what he's worth, on his second contract. When the team gives him 15 per year that's when you'll know he's the guy. Not in year 1 when he's statistically similar to Mark. 

he only has one extra iNt over Mark Sanchez?  that's a good sign? 

I'll put this out there Geno has moments of greatness and moments of sheer idiocy... big arm... can't read defenses... the QB he reminds me of... is Vinny Testaverde. 

Well at least this time we know that our guy isn't throwing picks  because he can't tell the color difference. 

I'm fine with Cumberland, he's better than I thought any of the TEs from last year could be. Nothing special, fills a role. With the team having a QB and all now I don't really give a sh*t if the pass catchers are superstars or not. This is Geno Smith's team, it goes where he and his best friends, the defense, take it. 

Welcome aboard, bitches. 

Get this kid one of Lee/Watkins/Evans and ASJ/Eric Ebron and I'll call it a muh effin day. Geno playing a full season and showing he's the guy could jump this franchise's development into overdrive, much like they've down out in Seattle.  

Archived