The other question besides Rex...

Freemanm

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes, because that's exactly what I'm saying.  Fire everyone who fails to win a Super Bowl after 1 season.  You're a genius.

Is 7-8 wins the goal in this league? [A] I thought winning the Super Bowl was the goal.  Rex has stated this over and over.    He's failed to do it in his 5 years here, which is why even he assumes (correctly) he's getting fired.

If A, then B. Your argument, at least following logic. Did you mean to or no?

Beating the Dolphins to knock them out of the playoffs would be a nice feather in the cap.  But the fact remains that the final 2 games of our schedule became meaningless after Week 15.  I think Idzik has probably made his decision one way or the other already.  Yesterday's win and this week's Miami game are pretty irrelevant. 

This is especially true when you consider that the Lions are already looking for a Jim Schwartz replacement without even having fired him yet, and Bill O'Brien has been fielding calls.  You can't sit on these decisions.  Either he's here or he's gone.

If Idzik made his decision to fire Rex already he should have done it already, there is no reason to send out a good coach to win the last 2 games, and further drop down the draft board, get rid of him last week let the whole team quit, and finish 6-10!

Which coaches in the NFL last 5 years with their team after not winning a championship, or even coming close for the latter 3 years?  The list is not very long.

No, but they are all very good coaches, and usually coach for NFL teams who do things the right way like the Steelers.

Which coaches in the NFL last 5 years with their team after not winning a championship, or even coming close for the latter 3 years?  The list is not very long.

I'd be interested in seeing who you come up with if you do search that out. I think it'd be a little fairer if you did the whole five years as a whole, and then nit pick the results from there

If Idzik made his decision to fire Rex already he should have done it already, there is no reason to send out a good coach to win the last 2 games, and further drop down the draft board, get rid of him last week let the whole team quit, and finish 6-10!

A valid point. 

No, but they are all very good coaches, and usually coach for NFL teams who do things the right way like the Steelers.

Cowher did last for about 15 years before he won a title.  But he did have sustained success and at least had won an AFC title in 1996.  Meanwhile, Tomlin won 2 titles. 

Doing things the "right way" means recognizing that a coach who always seem to have his team in contention and has the ability to take the team to the next level is indeed important.  But unfortunately we don't have that infrastructure in place.  We have Woody Johnson.  Sucks.

I think he is. Geno has a very strong arm and seems to have matured a little bit and has begun using his feet to escape trouble and score TD's. This is a tough decision for Idzik as far as Rex is concerned. Does he keep him to continue Geno's progress or risk that with a new coaching staff - with a new offense for him to have to learn. I still don't think Rex Ryan is a good coach but it may be MORE important to keep him and MM and hope Geno's progresses next year. It's called a conundrum.

Is Geno the QB of the future? Always easy to say yes after he had a good game. He has thrown a lot of ugly pics this year, but if the Jets FO surround him with good receivers, is he the guy?

It is a good question.  Honestly, I trust Morhinweg a lot so I am curious what his vote will really be.  Geno did impress me yesterday.  And I looked at his numbers for the year, they are bad.  And they are so similar to Mark's rookie year it is frightening.  

I haven't seen enough from Geno to say he is the answer.  But hopefully Marty feels he is and is right.  Because the Jets quickest path to turning this around is with Geno being good.

I hear what you're saying, Maxman. I'm not answering the question, but I would point out that Geno has shown that he can do things that Sanchez couldn't do, such as scramble and (albeit at times) throw downfield with some accuracy and velocity. Also, if we're comparing, I would point out that In Sanchez's rookie year, he had Bray (in his prime), Dustin Keller, who was a pretty good receiving TE, and played behind an o-line that was a rock. Geno had none of that, although I admit that the Jets o-line this year was better than the previous two seasons.

Not enough info. Sign a vet, draft a rook, let 'em duke it out in August.

Ok Dman who would be your vet and who would be your rook choice ?

I would say find a way to sign Cousins and Draft Manziel - Problem with this scenario is Cousins may cost picks and Manziel may cost picks to move up. 

I want a coach totally obsessed with winning A Bill Walsh type up until 3am devising game plans the coach who makes it his business to put in more work than the next guy. Have we ever had that guy ? I can see Belichick being that guy the guy who knows so much the players have no choice but to respect him just for his knowledge alone even though they might hate him. I bet thats how guys like Walsh got the respect from his players more than anything else. A serious disciplinarian who demands his players put in just as much work to succeed. Anyone know someone out there who has those traits ? 

I want a coach totally obsessed with winning A Bill Walsh type up until 3am devising game plans the coach who makes it his business to put in more work than the next guy. Have we ever had that guy ? I can see Belichick being that guy the guy who knows so much the players have no choice but to respect him just for his knowledge alone even though they might hate him. I bet thats how guys like Walsh got the respect from his players more than anything else. A serious disciplinarian who demands his players put in just as much work to succeed. Anyone know someone out there who has those traits ? 

Mangini kind of had that trait, but he was a moron and his personality (or lack thereof) created a negative culture.  Work ethic is great but you need to have the total package.  You have to know your stuff, outwork everyone, AND have the personality to make people run through walls for you. 

I would say find a way to sign Cousins and Draft Manziel - Problem with this scenario is Cousins may cost picks and Manziel may cost picks to move up.

Cousins may cost as much to acquire as Manziel. All of the veteran options suck, but I'd take a flier on Henne or Vick. I haven't looked at any numbers (plus I've been working a lot of Saturdays, so I haven't seen much college ball this year), so I can't really speak knowledgeably on any of the rookies. I don't like Manziel at all. Murray seems decent as a developmental guy.

Cousins will cost you a second rounder plus, and Manziel sucks.

Cousins will cost you a second rounder plus, and Manziel sucks.

Cousins comes cheap and is under contract through 2015, but no way I give up a 2nd for him.  His ceiling is that of an average QB -- he'll be a journeyman for a few years and that's it so far as I see.  Oh, and Manziel really does suck.

So the consensus among the Rex supporters is that he deserves a contract extension for taking this team from about a 5 or 6 win team (projected) to 7 or 8 wins.  Got it.

Nevermind the fact that in our losses the team has been complete garbage.  Nor the fact that we had a real shot at the playoffs before the team imploded with 3 straight blowout losses.

If you take the extremes (5 win team to 8 win team) then you're saying that Rex adds 3 wins to whatever our talent level is.  If that's the case then I say sign Rex to a 10 year extension.  8 win talent would translate to 11 wins.  Sign me up!

Idzik, at the very least, needs to bring in a veteran who can do more than lean on his crutches on the sidelines. Geno has shown some flashes, as well as long stretches of nothing. There needs to be a viable alternative to start on the roster, not Garrard/Simms/McElroy/Tebow/Brunell-type garbage.

Idzik, at the very least, needs to bring in a veteran who can do more than lean on his crutches on the sidelines. Geno has shown some flashes, as well as long stretches of nothing. There needs to be a viable alternative to start on the roster, not Garrard/Simms/McElroy/Tebow/Brunell-type garbage.

Agree in principle, but any vet who we can acquire without surrendering draft picks is going ti be garbage. The top UFAs are guys like Vick and Henne and Cassell.

If you take the extremes (5 win team to 8 win team) then you're saying that Rex adds 3 wins to whatever our talent level is.  If that's the case then I say sign Rex to a 10 year extension.  8 win talent would translate to 11 wins.  Sign me up!

No, because the difference between an 8-win team and an 11-win team is monumental.  We needed almost perfect circumstances in 2010 to go 11-5 that year and we haven't been able to replicate it. 

Agree in principle, but any vet who we can acquire without surrendering draft picks is going ti be garbage. The top UFAs are guys like Vick and Henne and Cassell.

This.  We bring in a Josh McCown and if he sees the field we'll be complaining about lack of weapons all over again.  Cutler/McCown had Marshall, Jeffrey, Forte and Bennett. 

And if we bring in Matt Hasselbeck, who has the best track record of any veteran we could acquire, but happens to be 38 years old, we'll soon be making the Brunell comparisons.

OK Rex will transform our QB next year to all pro right?

Actually, I am pretty sure that the belief is that Rex took a couple of turnips and turned it into an elite D-line.

Personally, I think that Wilk, Richardson and Snacks are not really turnips and that anyone would have success stopping the run with those 3 up front.

Archived