NY Jets interested in free agent wide receivers Jeremy Maclin, Emmanuel Sanders

brian101193

Sanders is not that good honestly, I like his skill set and know he's only getting better but he's a 3 and with kerley here he's a 4.

But I like to spread it out so that's not a bad thing.

Maclin would be the 2 a proven effective 2.

We'll still need a 1 thoe.

(not sure what david nelson or stephen hill is yet)

But luckily that would be a very cheap receiving core.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

He was a 3rd round pick out of Southern Methodist, did you expect him to jump Wallace, Brown, Ward and Cotchery his first couple of years in the league? I already stipulated that he became the #2 option once Wallace left, which is fact. Pitt started him as a KR and brought him along slowly as a WR, something they're very good at. Bottom line is that he was not a #4 or #5 option this past year, which is the year that counts.   I'm not paying for past performance, I'm paying for future performance and his production is trending up.

So because he's similar in stature to Kerley, it means they are the same? He ran .15 seconds faster in the 40 and beat him in pretty much every other explosion drill. I just don't understand this mentality that if he's not a clear-cut #1 WR he can't help us

My perception of the player was different. I always thought he was more of a slot guy. Thanks.

My perception of the player was different. I always thought he was more of a slot guy. Thanks.

I just have a higher opinion of him than some and part of that stems from how well Pittsburgh has drafted and developed these type of prospects over the years.  Him and Brown have both played a lot of slot, but I've seen them on the outside as well, they're just good all-around receivers. He's not as fast as Mike Wallace, not many are, but he still is able to get over the top of defenses and yet has done a lot of damage on the intermediate routes. I think he'd be a great fit in this offense, another reason why I like Lee and Beckham to come here as well.

I don't have to be fair to Decker. I don't feel he's worth $8+ million a season or whatever the assumed asking price will be. I know what he did with Tebow and Orton and 44 catches and 612 yards is nice, but nothing spectacular. Touchdowns for WRs and RBs are quite possibly the most impossible thing to predict, as of now, there's really zero metric that has been shown to accurately predict future TD performance. A few people have tried, but it's too difficult to know whether a Calvin Johnson will get tackled on the 1 yard line five times in one season or score 15 tds the next.  I've said that Decker is a very solid receiver, but I don't like the idea of paying for past performances that a WR put up with a QB that we don't have, I'd rather bet my money on a player like Sanders who's production seems to be trending upwards.

Well what are we discussing: who is the better player or which contract will give more bang for the buck? If the former, it's Decker and I'll debate you on that any day. If it's the latter, I think that's tougher to predict but wouldn't necessarily be opposed to Sanders on that basis.

We're all aware that Decker's two consecutive 1,000 yard seasons came with Peyton Manning at the helm, so we would be worried about the prospect of overpaying him. But let's not kid ourselves about that: no general manager is dumb enough that they won't realize that.

Most people here seem convinced that we will target the middle of the market in order to get better value. That conviction is weird to me since nothing about mid-market automatically guarantees value. Value can come at any spot on the market, the highest tiers or the lowest ones. It could be that the mid-market guys will provide great value this year, or maybe they will be terrible and the best value will be in the highest tiers. Who knows?

This year aside, he was the 4th or 5th option his first 3 years in the league. And for being the #2 option with 112 targets this season, his numbers are not great and he's the same size as Kerley. Not sure what the allure is here.

He was 17th in DYAR last season and shouldn't be prohibitively expensive.

Well what are we discussing: who is the better player or which contract will give more bang for the buck? If the former, it's Decker and I'll debate you on that any day. If it's the latter, I think that's tougher to predict but wouldn't necessarily be opposed to Sanders on that basis.

We're all aware that Decker's two consecutive 1,000 yard seasons came with Peyton Manning at the helm, so we would be worried about the prospect of overpaying him. But let's not kid ourselves about that: no general manager is dumb enough that they won't realize that.

Most people here seem convinced that we will target the middle of the market in order to get better value. That conviction is weird to me since nothing about mid-market automatically guarantees value. Value can come at any spot on the market, the highest tiers or the lowest ones. It could be that the mid-market guys will provide great value this year, or maybe they will be terrible and the best value will be in the highest tiers. Who knows?

I don't much feel like arguing, but I don't particularly find Decker to be that exceptional of a receiver and I think that will eventually show. Like I said, I don't want to pay someone for what they already did, I want to pay them for what I think they'll do in our offense. I think if you combine the prospective salaries for both and figure in their production, I think Sanders is the smarter play. It's also possible that he lost himself a ton of money playing like a little bitch in the super bowl and can be had for less, who knows. 

He was 17th in DYAR last season and shouldn't be prohibitively expensive.

DYAR is nice, but they're still unable to separate it from the QB throwing them the ball. There's zero way Decker is a top 5 receiver in the league two years running. Fitzgerald posted the worst DYAR of any receiver with at least 50 passes last season, but I wouldn't say he was the 86 worst receiver in the league then.  I agree, I think the heaviest suitor for Sanders will be Pittsburgh and they've shown they're not going to break the bank on anyone outside of Big Ben.

I don't much feel like arguing, but I don't particularly find Decker to be that exceptional of a receiver and I think that will eventually show. Like I said, I don't want to pay someone for what they already did, I want to pay them for what I think they'll do in our offense. I think if you combine the prospective salaries for both and figure in their production, I think Sanders is the smarter play. It's also possible that he lost himself a ton of money playing like a little bitch in the super bowl and can be had for less, who knows. 

I kind of agree with you with Sanders , he will be a better fit with the Jets , I think Decker go to get top pay and I think the Jets learn from Homes not to over pay for a WR but the Jets need someone anyone is better to what the Jets have now

I kind of agree with you with Sanders , he will be a better fit with the Jets , I think Decker go to get top pay and I think the Jets learn from Homes not to over pay for a WR but the Jets need someone anyone is better to what the Jets have now

They all are going to be looking for big $$$. Maclin will take a 1 year deal but he might stay in Philly for that with chip Kelly's offense then get big money next year

They all are going to be looking for big $$$. Maclin will take a 1 year deal but he might stay in Philly for that with chip Kelly's offense then get big money next year

I just like to see , if the Jets pay big money for a WR , I hopes he backs it up with TD's not with his mouth like Homes

Maclin's going to attract a lot of interest despite the ACL. He might sign a one-year deal to stay in Philly, but I think the Jets would have to come up with a multi-year deal to lure him away. As the article said, if you were a WR looking to do a one year showcase for the rest of the league, would you want to do that with Chip Kelly or Rex Ryan?

If he's willing to take a 1 year deal, I think the Jets can still land him by offering a multi-year deal voidable after 1 if his knee is still a problem.  No different than a 1-year deal with someone else that still wouldn't lead to a long-term one if his knee is crap.

Different reasons, but we did a similar thing with Ferguson.  Multi-year deal but the team could have gotten out after year 1.  Would Maclin sign it? It's better than a show-me 1-year deal, since the Jets wouldn't void the balance of the deal unless he was hurt (again, no worse than a show-me deal from a team with a high-powered passing attack in that case).

Will be interesting.  Given that I went into the offseason last year knowing we wouldn't be serious competitors (and didn't have the cap space to turn ourselves into one), this March-April is considerably more exciting.  Hopefully, anyway.

Kerely is 5'9 runs a 4.56, Sanders is 5'11 ran a 4.40.

Damn.  Good stat. Sanders is reliable - good hands - excellent route runner - multi-faceted (kick/punt returner) great on screens, reverses, very fast - great for WCO -

he is heading into his prime as his numbers are climbing. This kid is CLUTCH. Would be jumpin for joy if we sign him.  

I don't have to be fair to Decker. I don't feel he's worth $8+ million a season or whatever the assumed asking price will be. I know what he did with Tebow and Orton and 44 catches and 612 yards is nice, but nothing spectacular. Touchdowns for WRs and RBs are quite possibly the most impossible thing to predict, as of now, there's really zero metric that has been shown to accurately predict future TD performance. A few people have tried, but it's too difficult to know whether a Calvin Johnson will get tackled on the 1 yard line five times in one season or score 15 tds the next.  I've said that Decker is a very solid receiver, but I don't like the idea of paying for past performances that a WR put up with a QB that we don't have, I'd rather bet my money on a player like Sanders who's production seems to be trending upwards.

The only thing I'd say regarding that Tebow/Orton season, in Decker's defense, is that he only had Orton for like 4 games and got almost half his yards for the season (270) in those 4 games, as well as 4 TDs.  Stupid to try to extrapolate that over 16 games, but if one did it would be 1000-1100 yards and over 10 TDs.  Tebow killed his numbers. 

2011 with Orton, 16-game pace of ~1100 yards and 16 TDs

2011 with Tebow, 16-game pace of 450 yards and 5 TDs

HOWEVER, Brandon Lloyd (led the NFL in rec yds the prior season) was starting opposite him the first 4 games and was the clear #1 (on paper), likely drawing the other team's top corner with some safety help cheating/leaning that way.  Thomas started 5 of the remaining games after they traded Lloyd, and Eddie Royal the other 7 (yes, I had to look all that up).  What it shows is his numbers came when he was not the guy defenses were giving their real attention to, much like the next 2 seasons.  

I can absolutely see him ending up as a #1 type when given the chance, but I can also absolutely see him being a melanin-deficient Peerless Price where everyone says, "I told you he was no #1" after a mediocre season.  His wife is pretty hot, though.

The only thing I'd say regarding that Tebow/Orton season, in Decker's defense, is that he only had Orton for like 4 games and got almost half his yards for the season (270) in those 4 games, as well as 4 TDs.  Stupid to try to extrapolate that over 16 games, but if one did it would be 1000-1100 yards and over 10 TDs.  Tebow killed his numbers. 

2011 with Orton, 16-game pace of ~1100 yards and 16 TDs

2011 with Tebow, 16-game pace of 450 yards and 5 TDs

HOWEVER, Brandon Lloyd (led the NFL in rec yds the prior season) was starting opposite him the first 4 games and was the clear #1 (on paper), likely drawing the other team's top corner with some safety help cheating/leaning that way.  Thomas started 5 of the remaining games after they traded Lloyd, and Eddie Royal the other 7 (yes, I had to look all that up).  What it shows is his numbers came when he was not the guy defenses were giving their real attention to, much like the next 2 seasons.  

I can absolutely see him ending up as a #1 type when given the chance, but I can also absolutely see him being a melanin-deficient Peerless Price where everyone says, "I told you he was no #1" after a mediocre season.  His wife is pretty hot, though.

I'm not completely down on Decker, he's a very solid receiver, I just don't think he'll ever match that production again and will want to get paid like he is.  It really all depends on the type of contract he's looking for. However, my opinion of him dropped significantly during the SB when he was getting his lunch eaten by Kam Chancelor and Richard Sherman all game. Decker's a big dude, I don't want to see alligator arms from your 6'3 220 lb receiver. All in all, I'd be happy with him making $7 million or less, putting him right around Marques Colston and Stevie Johnson range.

Maclin's going to attract a lot of interest despite the ACL. He might sign a one-year deal to stay in Philly, but I think the Jets would have to come up with a multi-year deal to lure him away. As the article said, if you were a WR looking to do a one year showcase for the rest of the league, would you want to do that with Chip Kelly or Rex Ryan?

or gENO or Foles

No way Maclin comes to Jets with no long term deal in place. A 1 year deal with the Jets would be a stupid move IMO

Kerely is 5'9 runs a 4.56, Sanders is 5'11 ran a 4.40.

Kerley, Sanders and Maclin as our 3 WR set would give us a lot of little guys, sorta like what they surrounded McNabb with in Philly before they got T.O.

Honestly though, I don't see it happening. The NFL right now is about big bodied guys who can catch the ball away from their body, seems like those guys have a monster advantage over CBs that just got kicked up a notch with the new pass defense rules.

I'll bet my salary that the Jets, under Idzik, went out of their way to tell the press exactly who they'll target in FA. Like really.

All typical media speculation-Jets need receivers- media duh Jets are interested in these guys

Kerley, Sanders and Maclin as our 3 WR set would give us a lot of little guys, sorta like what they surrounded McNabb with in Philly before they got T.O.

Honestly though, I don't see it happening. The NFL right now is about big bodied guys who can catch the ball away from their body, seems like those guys have a monster advantage over CBs that just got kicked up a notch with the new pass defense rules.

exactly why we need a 6-5 Decker

I would be very happy to land one of the top FA WR's (Tate, Maclin, Decker, Sanders, even Hakeem Nicks providing he can pass a physical). Coupled with bringing Cotchery back home with a solid, cost effective contract.  AND it all is solidified with getting Ebron in the First Round.  If 2 of these thing happen, it's gotta be a top FA and Ebron, but Ebron is a must in the first.  He can absolutely be a Pro Bowl Talent for many years to come. 

Just, Please, For the Love of God, DO NOT bring Kenny "biggest knucklehead in The Game" Britt, in.

Question When was the last FA WR that made a difference on a team . That's why I think the jets will go for a 2nd tier one and one via draft! #2. Snice Rex has been here he's not the greatest of devolving offensive talent so it might be easier to go after a 2nd tier guy

Question When was the last FA WR that made a difference on a team . That's why I think the jets will go for a 2nd tier one and one via draft! #2. Snice Rex has been here he's not the greatest of devolving offensive talent so it might be easier to go after a 2nd tier guy

ANQUAN BOLDIN, helped Flacco and Baltimore win the SB. Does that count?

Now if your talking the JETS? Edwards a little bit?

Should Jeremy Maclin sign with the Eagles or the Jets?

on February 08, 2014 at 11:53 AM

It is looking more and more like Jeremy Maclin will hit the free agency market, and when he does, it sounds like the New York Jets will be interested. They won't be the only team in Maclin though.

When Maclin was cleaning out his locker last month, he admitted that the Eagles and his agent were talking, meaning a deal could still happen. That is good news for Maclin, as having two teams -- and maybe more -- bid for his services will only drive up his price.

When deciding what team to sign with, however, Maclin needs to think about more than money. This is a critical year for Maclin, and what team he picks will play a huge role in what kind of season he has.

So if it does come down to the Jets and the Eagles, which team should Maclin sign with?

Why Maclin Should Sign with the Eagles:

Next season is going to be the biggest of Maclin's career, as he will have to prove he is a top-notch wideout after missing all of last season with a torn ACL. Getting back into game shape and adjusting to being back on the field will be tough enough without having to acclimate to an entire new team, city, and offense -- which he would with the Jets.

Maclin has been with the Eagles his entire career, and spent all of last season learning Chip Kelly's offense. By staying in Philadelphia, he gets to stay with the same doctors, the same players, and the same coaches -- allowing him to focus completely on having a bounce back season.

In addition to being comfortable, there should be plenty of chances for Maclin to touch the ball in the Eagles offense. Kelly's offense was one of the best in the NFL last season, and everyone got the chance to put up big numbers -- so even if Maclin's role won't be completely clear next season, that doesn't mean he won't have a chance to prove he is back.

Why Maclin Should Sign with the Jets:

Familiarity and an explosive offense is one thing, but nothing trumps being the top dog.

In New York, Maclin would likely be the top option in the passing game, giving him a chance he never had before in his career -- the opportunity to show he has what it takes to be a true No. 1 wideout. Even in Philadelphia, when Maclin was healthy, he still second fiddle to DeSean Jackson. In New York, the offense would likely try to get Maclin the ball, and he will be working with offensive coordinator Marty Mornhinweg, who coached Maclin in Philadelphia. That is something that won't happen in Philadelphia, where the ball is spread out.

Taking on that big of a role in the first year back from an injury is a risk --especially with Geno Smith and the Jets 31st ranked passing offense. It could, however, be the most lucrative.

If Maclin goes to New York and has a breakout season, the big pay day he was hoping to earn last season will come. There is no denying that things might be easier in Philadelphia, where points come in bunches. The ceiling, however is higher in New York -- both on the field and off it.

Follow Eliot Shorr-Parks on Twitter at @EliotShorrParks

Why Maclin Should Sign with the Jets:

Familiarity and an explosive offense is one thing, but nothing trumps being the top dog.

In New York, Maclin would likely be the top option in the passing game, giving him a chance he never had before in his career -- the opportunity to show he has what it takes to be a true No. 1 wideout. Even in Philadelphia, when Maclin was healthy, he still second fiddle to DeSean Jackson. In New York, the offense would likely try to get Maclin the ball, and he will be working with offensive coordinator Marty Mornhinweg, who coached Maclin in Philadelphia. That is something that won't happen in Philadelphia, where the ball is spread out.

Taking on that big of a role in the first year back from an injury is a risk --especially with Geno Smith and the Jets 31st ranked passing offense. It could, however, be the most lucrative.

If Maclin goes to New York and has a breakout season, the big pay day he was hoping to earn last season will come. There is no denying that things might be easier in Philadelphia, where points come in bunches. The ceiling, however is higher in New York -- both on the field and off it.

Follow Eliot Shorr-Parks on Twitter at @EliotShorrParks

This. I still believe money will talk, as it always does, but this is a solid argument for going to the Jets.  I've heard many mention would you rather play in a chip kelly offense or Rex Ryan on a one year prove-it-deal? As it currently stands, I'd say playing for MM is his best bet even with a one year deal.  Not only would he know the offense, he'd be the clear #1 WR, without having to share targets to Djax, Ertz and Shady. Kerley put up 500+ and 3 tds in 12 games and as much as I like him, he doesn't have nearly the skill-set as Maclin.  

This. I still believe money will talk, as it always does, but this is a solid argument for going to the Jets. I've heard many mention would you rather play in a chip kelly offense or Rex Ryan on a one year prove-it-deal? As it currently stands, I'd say playing for MM is his best bet even with a one year deal. Not only would he know the offense, he'd be the clear #1 WR, without having to share targets to Djax, Ertz and Shady. Kerley put up 500+ and 3 tds in 12 games and as much as I like him, he doesn't have nearly the skill-set as Maclin.

It's going to come down to who he's rather have throwing him the ball. And Geno is not an attractive option versus Foles.

Archived