Adrian Peterson indicted

Integrity28

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It wasn't permanent, but I've had my rotation on there. It not only makes you sick what some people can do to children, but then turning around and seeing their parents use their children to punish their ex-husband/wife etc. It's just disturbing on a whole other level. I couldn't do it permanently, it's beyond draining. I'm opting for surgery so I can hopefully have tangible impacts on my patient's lives.

Ah, she'd like you. Too much of her day is spent on bringing doctors who are too busy to give a sh*t up to speed.

You have to be very careful in these situations, there are plenty of times mothers bring their child in to the hospital for excessive discipline and then it turns out there's a nasty custody or alimony battle going on. While the pictures paint a nasty scenario, you still cannot judge it solely by that. I've seen this exact scenario come into the hospital: the mother acknowledges the father has done it before, but the switch wasn't smoothed enough and ended up causing damage excessive to what's happened before etc.  No charges pressed.  I would imagine that's what Adrian and his lawyers will claim.

You're not a mandatory reporter?

In most states hospital personnel are mandatory reporters. If there are any injuries which are consistent with abuse, the hospital must report it to the police. Thats what happened here according to reports. The mom didnt call the police, the doctor did.

Also the hospital is in Texas so this "liberal" narrative has no meaning. Sourthern doctors thought it was abuse.

In most states hospital personnel are mandatory reporters. If there are any injuries which are consistent with abuse, the hospital must report it to the police. Thats what happened here according to reports. The mom didnt call the police, the doctor did.

Also the hospital is in Texas so this "liberal" narrative has no meaning. Sourthern doctors thought it was abuse.

I am and they are mandatory reporters. It's impossible to say where this doctor is from, so it's certainly possible she didn't have a southern upbringing, or one similar to Adrian's. There are plenty of non-Texans working in Texas hospitals,  just like hospitals in New York, there are people from all around the country and world practicing medicine there, not just New Yorkers.  

You have to use your best judgement when bringing the police involved, just like in domestic violence: is this a pattern? is the child fearful of the father? are the parents in a custody battle? 

I've seen a child, 8 year old girl, come in 4 times in a matter of a couple months; black eye, bruised stomach (major sign), scrapes all up and down her legs and eventually a broken arm.  The doctor, being fresh out of residency, combined the textbook injuries with the fact that the mother had multiple tattoos, piercings and poor grammar in her assessment when she called the police.  Police did a thorough investigation, took the daughter away for a few days, went on the permanent record of the mother: turns out the little girl was a crazy tomboy who liked to climb trees and play outside with the local boys. The ex-husband even admitted that the woman was a phenomenal mother and the little girl was injury prone.  I'm not saying this is the case with Adrian, but it's almost never 100% clear cut.  If Adrian crossed the line, as it may seem, I hope he's punished and severely, but I don't like pictures out of context causing the media to convict a guy before we even hear the whole story. 

Ah, she'd like you. Too much of her day is spent on bringing doctors who are too busy to give a sh*t up to speed.

lol that's because a lot of doctors are pompous douche-bags who either don't care or are so bitter about life because they went into it for all the wrong reasons: money, their parents were doctors etc. No one is going to be happy all day, everyday, but you can usually tell the people who like what they do. 

You guys really haven't been down south much I take it or have grandparents off the boat.  While this without a doubt seems extreme to some of the more liberal people up here in the north, this is pretty standard practice in a lot of communities in the south. This was how Peterson was raised, this is how he'll raise/was raising his children.  Peterson is at the pinnacle of his profession and for all intents and purposes loves his life, why would he ever think his upbringing was too severe?  Christ, he was doing this in a state that has a f*cking express line to capital punishment.  I would agree that this is certainly extreme, but I certainly understand the cultural aspect if this was how he was raised. 

Child abuse isnot "cultural".

I am and they are mandatory reporters. It's impossible to say where this doctor is from, so it's certainly possible she didn't have a southern upbringing, or one similar to Adrian's. There are plenty of non-Texans working in Texas hospitals,  just like hospitals in New York, there are people from all around the country and world practicing medicine there, not just New Yorkers.  

You have to use your best judgement when bringing the police involved, just like in domestic violence: is this a pattern? is the child fearful of the father? are the parents in a custody battle? 

I've seen a child, 8 year old girl, come in 4 times in a matter of a couple months; black eye, bruised stomach (major sign), scrapes all up and down her legs and eventually a broken arm.  The doctor, being fresh out of residency, combined the textbook injuries with the fact that the mother had multiple tattoos, piercings and poor grammar in her assessment when she called the police.  Police did a thorough investigation, took the daughter away for a few days, went on the permanent record of the mother: turns out the little girl was a crazy tomboy who liked to climb trees and play outside with the local boys. The ex-husband even admitted that the woman was a phenomenal mother and the little girl was injury prone.  I'm not saying this is the case with Adrian, but it's almost never 100% clear cut.  If Adrian crossed the line, as it may seem, I hope he's punished and severely, but I don't like pictures out of context causing the media to convict a guy before we even hear the whole story. 

In New York things get skewed because there are so many horror stories of children being tortured to death and the overworked case workers at ACS missing the warning signs.  So it's better having your over cautious resident than the alternative and that 8 year old tomboy actually being a victim of systematic abuse and doctors passing it off as "southern discipline."

For me, there is nothing wrong with investigating every case where there is physical evidence of abuse.  If it turns out that the child is just injury prone, that's great.  It's better than the alternative of brushing it off and end up having to pick out a pint-sized coffin.

As for AP, there is no reason to doubt he's telling the 100% truth.  He wanted to discipline the 4 yr old.  The majority of all abuse cases happen in the disciplinary context.  The problem is that AP went ballistic and beat the boys back, legs and testicles.  I have a 9 yr old and 2 1/2 yr old.  Anyone who has kids knows what it's like to get really pissed at them and you know there's a point where you have to stop yourself because of the strength disparity.  AP couldn't stop himself and now he will pay the price.

As for AP, there is no reason to doubt he's telling the 100% truth.  He wanted to discipline the 4 yr old.  The majority of all abuse cases happen in the disciplinary context.  The problem is that AP went ballistic and beat the boys back, legs and testicles.  I have a 9 yr old and 2 1/2 yr old.  Anyone who has kids knows what it's like to get really pissed at them and you know there's a point where you have to stop yourself because of the strength disparity.  AP couldn't stop himself and now he will pay the price.

so I'm not the only one doubting AP misses the entire season now?

well besides game 1 of course.  i can't see him being allowed to play until this case is over....and even then i bet Minny trades him to Dallas.

so I'm not the only one doubting AP misses the entire season now?

well besides game 1 of course. i can't see him being allowed to play until this case is over....and even then i bet Minny trades him to Dallas.

I dont know what happens, but the NFL wont act until the legal proceeding is concluded.

The NFL just negotiated a new drug program where it agreed that no discpline will happen until conviction/plea for DUI. NFL wanted to have it based on arrest but NFLPA wouldn't agree. The NFL won't act on AP now.

If AP misses any games it'll be because of the Vikings

Parents parent how they were parented. I'm not saying right or wrong, but this is probably how AP was raised. It's how a lot of people were raised.

Notice the amount of parents punishing their kids this way has gone down but the number of punk kids has risen? There is a huge lack of respect and rise of entitlement in the younger generation. You think Bieber or his lot would act the way they do if they got smacked upside the head when needed?

And yes, in my opinion AP went too far based on age.

I dont know what happens, but the NFL wont act until the legal proceeding is concluded.

The NFL just negotiated a new drug program where it agreed that no discpline will happen until conviction/plea for DUI. NFL wanted to have it based on arrest but NFLPA wouldn't agree. The NFL won't act on AP now.

If AP misses any games it'll be because of the Vikings

I don't really like the new policy.  While I get weed is being decriminalized nationally and the players could use the pain relief, I don't want a league full of pot heads, you need your brain sharp on game day.  I don't care about it morally or legally, but please geno put the bong down by friday, lol

Players deserve their case to go to court before the league punishes them, but then the punishment should be pretty harsh once they plea or are convicted.  2 games ?  that's light

Parents parent how they were parented. I'm not saying right or wrong, but this is probably how AP was raised. It's how a lot of people were raised.

Notice the amount of parents punishing their kids this way has gone down but the number of punk kids has risen? There is a huge lack of respect and rise of entitlement in the younger generation. You think Bieber or his lot would act the way they do if they got smacked upside the head when needed?

agree.  I also think pulling down the pants is way over the line.  That's humiliation.  I spanked my kids once or twice each, but never on a bare bottom, and never close to full strength, and never injured them. 

They get the message from the act, the severity is not necessary and actually will back fire

I went to parochial school and someone got slapped across the face or their knuckles cracked with a ruler everyday for infractions like dropping your pencil or not eating all your lunch. The Nuns would up their game to swatting with the blackboard pointer (3 foot long wooden dowel) on the hard cases who weren't getting the message.

The board of education came out if somebody really screwed up. That was like death row.

I can't even imagine the iron stomach you have to have to be in a unit with abused children. Hats off to you sir. The wife works in a unit that does tumor and renal failure and comes home with a smile on her face every day. It's a mentality that I can't understand but have so much respect for.

I spent the last year and a half working with parents with a charge like Peterson's. In Newark it's a belt, though I've seen and heard of much worse. Only scenario where I've had to sit in a room with someone are struggle to find empathy amoungst feelings of hatred and rage.

Everything BJ12 says is true, making it a difficult population to work with, as the bruises are an unfortunate side effect of proper parenting.

I'd have to see the injuries prior to judging: was it one mark that was accidental as the child was moving or did Adrian purposefully aim there? If it's the latter, than the guy needs to be booted without a doubt, that's indefensible.

Does it matter? When a kid loses an eye because the buckle of a belt gets away from a parent (this happens), does intent matter?

IMO, the doctor was 100% correct in your example to make that call, the only thing wrong was using the mother's appearance as any kind of guide and surely what's generating the guilt (and reasoning behind the story) when the results turn out the way they are.  In reality, if the mother showed up wearing a cardigan, white shorts, and boat shoes, the process should have been exactly the same.  The mother's record was surely expunged after the fact, and despite an awful experience for her in the short term, it sounds like everyone did the right thing here.

That's not because parents aren't hitting their kids.  That's because parents aren't hitting their kids and have no idea what else to do.  There are plenty of alternatives.

Archived