Mariota

Gastineau Lives

I think most can agree that Walsh was an innovator and clearly ahead of his time.

The only difference between Bill Belichick and Rex Ryan is Tom Brady would be harder to dispute

herm was an innovator too. apparently you've never been to his cookouts.

Sorry but if he doesn't get into the playoffs this year - Rexy is gone-dy

if he wins 9 he stays without question. 6-8 is the iffy zone. after we lose the next two or three, rex will be motivated by self-preservation to throw vick out there.

if he wins 9 he stays without question. 6-8 is the iffy zone. after we lose the next two or three, rex will be motivated by self-preservation to throw vick out there.

I don't care if Joe Montana 2.0 showed up in Jets camp....the secondary play is horrific and this team is not winning 9 games.

Coaches coach, players play. Give Bellichek this dumpster fire of a roster and see how he does with it. I do agree coaching can be improved upon but this isn't a situation where the roster is great and talented and the coaches aren't getting enough out of them.

This is a situation where they are the cheapest roster in all of football and if you were a fan of another team, there's like 4 guys you might want playing for your team. And they are all linemen.

So true..

If we are bad enough to be within striking distance for this kid, I think we have to do whatever it takes to draft him.

Looking at the REALLY bad teams so far, only Tampa Bay and St. Louis would be in a position to take him as the Raiders, Jags, Vikings already have their franchise QB's. I would be all for trading up, if we were able, to grab him. There is no one, two or three high draft picks that we could keep that can compensate for QB mediocrity, but a great QB can hide many warts. Given our salary cap situation, we have a little bit of a luxury in terms of being able to secure talent through free agency.

We talk about looking at the long term and not selling out to win now when we talk about Idzik and his philosophy, well, we need to secure the future of the franchise. A QB like this is a huge step toward that. We haven't had one since I've been a fan, and that's a long time. Not O'Brien, Testaverde for one year, etc. brings the upside and security that a kid like this can, potentially.

I want a franchise QB. I'm tired.

I agree we need this guy

yup

If they bring in another rookie QB you can pretty much be rest assured that will mean that Rex and Izadick are gone

rex for sure unless he brings vick in relatively soon, vick performs well, and the plan is to groom new guy behind vick next year. will be very interesting to see what teams does after DET stoot slaps the jets into the stratosphere. I am predicting 45-6 blowout.

rex for sure unless he brings vick in relatively soon, vick performs well, and the plan is to groom new guy behind vick next year. will be very interesting to see what teams does after DET stoot slaps the jets into the stratosphere. I am predicting 45-6 blowout.

Maybe its me but 2010 was a long time ago. I can't see Vick doing much better than what Geno is doing now. 

Unless you can find me another WR to go with Kerley and Decker and some CB's that can cover this isn't going to be a playoff team with Vick or Geno at the controls. 

I don't care if Joe Montana 2.0 showed up in Jets camp....the secondary play is horrific and this team is not winning 9 games.

That same secondary held Cutler and his offensive aerial-attack to 40 yards less than he was averaging coming in and only 20 points, they weren't the reason we lost yesterday. All things being considered, I thought they played fairly decent.  Walls always seems to be in good position and could turn out to be a very viable option should Milliner ever start playing like his draft pick assumes.  

That same secondary held Cutler and his offensive aerial-attack to 40 yards less than he was averaging coming in and only 20 points, they weren't the reason we lost yesterday. All things being considered, I thought they played fairly decent.  Walls always seems to be in good position and could turn out to be a very viable option should Milliner ever start playing like his draft pick assumes.  

Agreed, if they squeak out one win of these next top QBs we can win 9. I don't wanna say easy, but we really should win 9 if we come out of this hole 2-5

If we are bad enough to be within striking distance for this kid, I think we have to do whatever it takes to draft him.

Looking at the REALLY bad teams so far, only Tampa Bay and St. Louis would be in a position to take him as the Raiders, Jags, Vikings already have their franchise QB's. I would be all for trading up, if we were able, to grab him. There is no one, two or three high draft picks that we could keep that can compensate for QB mediocrity, but a great QB can hide many warts. Given our salary cap situation, we have a little bit of a luxury in terms of being able to secure talent through free agency.

We talk about looking at the long term and not selling out to win now when we talk about Idzik and his philosophy, well, we need to secure the future of the franchise. A QB like this is a huge step toward that. We haven't had one since I've been a fan, and that's a long time. Not O'Brien, Testaverde for one year, etc. brings the upside and security that a kid like this can, potentially.

I want a franchise QB. I'm tired.

Wrong player, and position right idea.

Trade up to draft Amari Cooper.

Then let Kerley walk, and take the money he was going to get crack the piggy bank open a little more, and sign Randall Cobb to be our new better version of Kerley.  Get the 2 Guard spots fixed whether it is from inside, or Free Agency.

Make these moves, and Geno Smith will start being talked about in the same breath as Dalton, Foles, Cutler, and Ryan, good QB's surronded with great skill position players.

I think a healthy Milliner, and McDougle next year will more than ok at CB, throw Walls in the slot, and with A Allen, and Pryor at Safety the secondary will miles better, dump D Harris move to a 4-3 over D like the Seahawks play, and have a front 4 of Wilk, Coples, Harrison, Richardson, K Ellis, Douzable, and TJ Barnes combo.  The Jets would need to find signifigant speed upgrades for the 2 OLB positions to go with D Davis in the middle, but 4-3 OLB are really not that hard to come by, they are the least paid defensive position players in the whole league now that Safeties and 3-4 DE's are getting paid, heck you could even make a case A Allen could move back to a rover/MLB position like he played at South Carolina, move D Davis to OLB, and find a center field Safety instead of a 4-3 OLB upgrade.

All in all thou the biggest problem this team has is without Decker on the field they have nobody other than a 5-10 quick, but slow slot reciever who can actually get open, and adding Cooper, and Cobb to Decker, and hopefully a much improved J Amaro after a full season in the NFL would give Smith 4 options on any given play, and at worst 3 options if Amaro doesn't work out that can get seperation, stretch the field, and be a threat to make a big play every single time with just a decent QB which I believe Geno is, and would get upgraded to above average with weapons like the one's above.  Sometimes you can take a decent QB, and make him a franchise QB with a talent like AJ Green (see Cincy, and Dalton), and a good QB, and make him a top franchise QB with a talent like Julio Jones (see M Ryan, and Atlanta, once Julio went down last year the Falcons, and Ryan had zero chance).

Then let Kerley walk, and take the money he was going to get crack the piggy bank open a little more, and sign Randall Cobb to be our new better version of Kerley.  Get the 2 Guard spots fixed whether it is from inside, or Free Agency.

Make these moves, and Geno Smith will start being talked about in the same breath as Dalton, Foles, Cutler, and Ryan, good QB's surronded with great skill position players. 

this is an interesting idea and would love Amari Cooper in green but the question begs how can any team trust a guy who soils his bed that badly on national TV like he did Monday night? That's the guy to build a team around? The guy who didn't look before he threw a screen pass? 

this is an interesting idea and would love Amari Cooper in green but the question begs how can any team trust a guy who soils his bed that badly on national TV like he did Monday night? That's the guy to build a team around? The guy who didn't look before he threw a screen pass? 

Even with those mistakes last night if we had the offensive talent like I used in my post it is a Jets win, we don't kick 3 FG's, and sure as heck wouldn't have had to lob a 4th down pass on our last possesion to a small slot WR to try, and give ourselves a chance to tie the game.

I've seen multiple QB's make similar mistakes already this season including Super Bowl winners like E Manning, A Rodgers, D Brees, and Big Ben to name a few.  Every QB makes bad plays, they become fewer, and further apart with more experience, I understand the days of giving QB's 2+ years on the bench, and 2 years running the offense a pass on mental mistakes (see A Rodgers it wasn't until his 3rd playing year that he became one of the elite, year 1 was a losing season that showed great promise, year 2 was a great year, then year 3 was super bowl year), but you have to admit Geno has shown the ability to move this team down the field better than any QB we have had since a healthy B Favre, and 98 Testaverde. 

Any way my point is 19 games is not enough time to say he isn't the guy to build a team around because he still has some mental errors, but also shows the ability to move the ball at will down the field.  Yes the mental errors need to stop, but that is where it ends with him, he has shown he can do everything you want from an NFL QB.  At this point your looking at a floor of a Tony Romo type QB, a guy who can do it all, but has mental lapses far to many times, and last I checked he still is talked about as a franchise caliber QB whether you, or others believe he is.  I'd be willing to take that gamble of a young Romo type hoping the mental lapses disappear.

Really at a loss how this "Geno needs weapons" nonsense keeps going. The NFL is now a year to year proposition. You are not going to get the chance to build everything you need through the draft over half a decade. This is not 1975. You have to play the cards your dealt and make the best of it. 

It didn't fly with Pennington after his arm injury made him Captain Checkdown.

It didn't work with Sanchez.

Bad QBs make bad decisions at critical times in games. 

Good QBs don't. And they don't need Pro Bowl talent to make it happen. They make what they have work as well as they can. 

Geno Smith is a terrible QB. Pretending otherwise is a waste of time. 

A good QB who makes smart decisions could work with Decker/Kerly/Amaro/Salas/ Johnson. 

Really at a loss how this "Geno needs weapons" nonsense keeps going. The NFL is now a year to year proposition. You are not going to get the chance to build everything you need through the draft over half a decade. This is not 1975. You have to play the cards your dealt and make the best of it. 

Good QBs don't. And they don't need Pro Bowl talent to make it happen. They make what they have work as well as they can. 

A good QB who makes smart decisions could work with Decker/Kerly/Amaro/Salas/ Johnson. 

With the players in the bolded sentence on the field Geno, and the Jets won 1 football game, and were winning the other game 21-16 on the road against a supposed Super Bowl contender who was something like 30-2 in their last 3 home games, or something similar to that when Decker blew a tire, so to me the offense was working up until that point, so technically Geno Smith is a good QB.

My biggest issue with Geno is accuracy,,,,the dude just cannot hit a moving target in stride.  It seems like we rarely ever run slant patterns - last year seemingly everytime we ran a slant Geno threw a pick.  He is also awful throwing on the run.  Yes it is a complete injustice to Geno, his teammates and the fans that Idzik did not improve the offensive talent, but that doesnt change Geno's imability to throw accurately.  BTW I think Jace Amaro is a total waste, to draft a one dimensional TE when you already had one and desperately needed a blocking TE was foolish.  I still think this team would have been better with Stephen Hill and Clyde Gates on the roster - at least they could stretch the field.

Oregon native and Ducks fan here.  Mariota is a great dual threat QB but he still needs time to learn. 

He's only 20 and I don't think he will put his name in the hat this year.  Plus, the Ducks have nobody 

worth a f____ to take over his job.  Any team drafting him and starting him right away would be nuts.

It is amazing that geno has any defenders left

Even with those mistakes last night if we had the offensive talent like I used in my post it is a Jets win, we don't kick 3 FG's, and sure as heck wouldn't have had to lob a 4th down pass on our last possesion to a small slot WR to try, and give ourselves a chance to tie the game.

I've seen multiple QB's make similar mistakes already this season including Super Bowl winners like E Manning, A Rodgers, D Brees, and Big Ben to name a few. Every QB makes bad plays, they become fewer, and further apart with more experience, I understand the days of giving QB's 2+ years on the bench, and 2 years running the offense a pass on mental mistakes (see A Rodgers it wasn't until his 3rd playing year that he became one of the elite, year 1 was a losing season that showed great promise, year 2 was a great year, then year 3 was super bowl year), but you have to admit Geno has shown the ability to move this team down the field better than any QB we have had since a healthy B Favre, and 98 Testaverde.

Any way my point is 19 games is not enough time to say he isn't the guy to build a team around because he still has some mental errors, but also shows the ability to move the ball at will down the field. Yes the mental errors need to stop, but that is where it ends with him, he has shown he can do everything you want from an NFL QB. At this point your looking at a floor of a Tony Romo type QB, a guy who can do it all, but has mental lapses far to many times, and last I checked he still is talked about as a franchise caliber QB whether you, or others believe he is. I'd be willing to take that gamble of a young Romo type hoping the mental lapses disappear.

He. Didnt. Even. Look. Before. Throwing. A. Screen. Pass. And with no one between the defender and the endzone. If that is a "mistake" than the buttfumble was "an unfortunately happening."

Really at a loss how this "Geno needs weapons" nonsense keeps going. The NFL is now ta year to year proposition. You are not going to get the chance to build everything you need through the draft over half a decade. This is not 1975. You have to play the cards your dealt and make the best of it.

Probably should get used to it. There are people here still defending sanchez saying it was duh weapinz.

With the players in the bolded sentence on the field Geno, and the Jets won 1 football game, and were winning the other game 21-16 on the road against a supposed Super Bowl contender who was something like 30-2 in their last 3 home games, or something similar to that when Decker blew a tire, so to me the offense was working up until that point, so technically Geno Smith is a good QB.

Yeah and ej manual had the bills at 2-0. Sample size. I put genos 17 stinker games against his 2 not horrible ones anyday in saying he stinks.

My biggest issue with Geno is accuracy,,,,the dude just cannot hit a moving target in stride. It seems like we rarely ever run slant patterns - last year seemingly everytime we ran a slant Geno threw a pick. He is also awful throwing on the run. Yes it is a complete injustice to Geno, his teammates and the fans that Idzik did not improve the offensive talent, but that doesnt change Geno's imability to throw accurately. BTW I think Jace Amaro is a total waste, to draft a one dimensional TE when you already had one and desperately needed a blocking TE was foolish. I still think this team would have been better with Stephen Hill and Clyde Gates on the roster - at least they could stretch the field.

Thank you. Seems like every completion is to a stationary, or nearly stationary receiver who found a soft spot in zone coverage. I am pretty sure geno has a noodle brain and cant grasp difficult play concepts and marty has the offense watered down to nothing.

Then let Kerley walk, and take the money he was going to get crack the piggy bank open a little more, and sign Randall Cobb to be our new better version of Kerley. Get the 2 Guard spots fixed whether it is from inside, or Free Agency.

I think a healthy Milliner, and McDougle next year will more than ok at CB, throw Walls in the slot, and with A Allen, and Pryor at Safety the secondary will miles better, dump D Harris move to a 4-3 over D like the Seahawks play, and have a front 4 of Wilk, Coples, Harrison, Richardson, K Ellis, Douzable, and TJ Barnes combo. The Jets would need to find signifigant speed upgrades for the 2 OLB positions to go with D Davis in the middle, but 4-3 OLB are really not that hard to come by, they are the least paid defensive position players in the whole league now that Safeties and 3-4 DE's are getting paid, heck you could even make a case A Allen could move back to a rover/MLB position like he played at South Carolina, move D Davis to OLB, and find a center field Safety instead of a 4-3 OLB upgrade.

All in all thou the biggest problem this team has is without Decker on the field they have nobody other than a 5-10 quick, but slow slot reciever who can actually get open, and adding Cooper, and Cobb to Decker, and hopefully a much improved J Amaro after a full season in the NFL would give Smith 4 options on any given play, and at worst 3 options if Amaro doesn't work out that can get seperation, stretch the field, and be a threat to make a big play every single time with just a decent QB which I believe Geno is, and would get upgraded to above average with weapons like the one's above. Sometimes you can take a decent QB, and make him a franchise QB with a talent like AJ Green (see Cincy, and Dalton), and a good QB, and make him a top franchise QB with a talent like Julio Jones (see M Ryan, and Atlanta, once Julio went down last year the Falcons, and Ryan had zero chance).

love all this. Do this, get rid of Rex and bring in a detail oriented coach and we've got a contender.

What do you bros think of Bryce Petty?

So early to truly know which QB is the next big thing, it was Mariotta, Hundley, and Winston preseason, with Petty possibly joining, but now you have a guy like Dak Prescott who looks like the next Cam Newton, and then Sean Mannion the strong armed gun slinger like Carr amongst a few others. My guess is 1 maybe 2 get taken top 10, and the rest go late 1st to 3rd round, only time will tell, and nobody really knows.

Archived