Greg Salas Atop NFL WR Lists

flgreen

Greg Salas Surprises Atop the WR Lists

Posted 2 hours ago

2012-randy-lange-headshot-thumb-60x60.pnRandy LangeEditor-in-Chief, newyorkjets.com@rlangejets Blog: Randy's Radar

•  
  •  
Jets WR Has Put Up Big Yards/Catch, YAC Numbers in Contributing to Jets' Offense

AP186562903067salas1.jpg

Updated 12:30 p.m ET

It's true that the Jets wide receiving corps has a few "knicks and knacks" that could limit or sideline players likeEric Decker (hamstring) and David Nelson (ankle) for Sunday's game at San Diego.

It's also true that the wideouts have a secret weapon to attack the Chargers secondary, a player who in fact leads all NFL wide receivers after one quarter of the season in both yards/catch and YAC average.

Greg Salas.

"It is a small sample size. It's hard to do that for an extended period of time," Salas told me after Thursday's practice at the Atlantic Health Jets Training Center. "But I'm just doing my best and, whenever my number's called, I try and make as big a play as I can."

So far, that plan is working to perfection. Salas has gotten on the field for a shade over 100 offensive plays in the first four games, has been targeted 12 times by Geno Smith, and has caught five passes.

salas-info.png

But what he's done with those five grabs. In the last two games, the former Hawaii 100-catch receiver has had a 51-yard catch-and-run against the Bears and 32- and 28-yard grab-and-go's vs. the Lions. The 51-yarder — 32 yards of which came after the catch — is our longest pass play in the last 18 games.

And his 25.6 yards/catch and his unofficial yards-after-catch average of 16.6 both are the top figures after four weeks of the NFL season among all wide receivers. The catch to those totals is that the lists include all receivers with at least five receptions. Receiving qualifiers generally need two catches per game so Salas' name isn't yet appearing at the top of many pass-catching lists.

But that doesn't mean he hasn't contributed. As coordinator Marty Mornhinweg said Thursday: “Greg Salas has helped us out. He’s a very dependable guy.”

That's big right now because of the banged-up status of the unit. Head coach Rex Ryan said Friday that both Decker and Nelson will make the trip to San Diego. Decker is listed as questionable and the coach said a decision on him playing will be "game-time." Nelson, who sat out practice the previous two days, was limited today and is also questionable. "This one's crazy," Ryan said. "I was shocked he was able to practice today but he did."

AP188241533393salas2.jpg

Regardless of who's up or down, Salas is ready to roll.

"David's always involved, always helping out. Same thing with Deck," Salas said. "Even though they might not be practicing fully, they're always helpful. I'm taking the reps right now, trying the best I can to make sure there's not a dropoff."

That's especially important because of the various media storylines involving Smith in the early going. Count Salas among the people inside the building who are fully supportive of their quarterback and the state of the offense.

"I think he's been playing good, just a couple of things here and there, but it's nothing that we can't fix and get better at," he said. "We're only a quarter of the way through the season. There's still a lot of football to be played. I'm looking for him and everybody else in the offense to keep on improving and get this thing on track. I feel like there's a lot of good football that's going to be played by Geno Smith this year."

And while we can expect Salas' numbers to come down when his sample size grows a little larger, he's not about to stop maximizing his contributions to the offense.

He's certainly looked good this year when he's gotten the ball in his hands, but there's definitely work to be done there.  He's definitely had a few pretty awful drops this season too, which is only that much more troublesome when you're seeing the ball as little as he has.  Definitely think there's a lot of potential there and it's certainly stuff that can be cleaned up, but I wouldn't exactly count on him being able to step up as a starter at this point based on 5 catches, even if he actually had a real QB throwing him the ball.

He's certainly looked good this year when he's gotten the ball in his hands, but there's definitely work to be done there. He's definitely had a few pretty awful drops this season too, which is only that much more troublesome when you're seeing the ball as little as he has. Definitely think there's a lot of potential there and it's certainly stuff that can be cleaned up, but I wouldn't exactly count on him being able to step up as a starter at this point based on 5 catches, even if he actually had a real QB throwing him the ball.

Yes, definitely. Certainly.

I remember when Randy Lange was my favorite beat reporter. I don't think he would've written a fluff piece about a guy who's caught five passes this season before he was employed by the team.

That said, I would like to see more Salas, less Nelson. Nelson looks apathetic on the field, Salas looks like he wants it. Wouldn't bother me even a little bit if he loses his job to this week's ankle injury.

A Spanish and Portuguese surname, Salas comes from an Old German term ‘sal’ which meant a building. Spelling variations for Salas are Sales and Sala. In England the Salas surname is found in the city of London, and the counties of Kent, Norfolk, Yorkshire, Rutland, Lancashire and Berkshire. From Spain many Salas families resettled in Nicaragua, Puerto Rico, Peru, Mexico, Chile and Ecuador. Within the United States the Salas families originated in Texas, New Mexico, Colorado, California, Arizona and Florida. Famous: Angel Salas (writer from Bolivia), Stevie Salas (musician), Floyd F. Salas (poet and novelist), Marcelo Salas (professional footballer from Chile), Hilden Salas (footballer from Peru), Joseph Salas (professional boxer), Marino Salas (professional baseball player), and Margarita Salas (biochemist in Spain).

more fun with stats

TE

amaro > ebron

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/te

Ivory is a top 10 RB

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/rb

Brady is the 33rd ranked QB, Geno 34th

Geno is the lowest ranked rushing QB. 

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/qb

jets overall defense. is 17

cincy is #1.   will brady survive ?

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/teamdef

Love these stat sites.  Geno's tied for third with 91 yards rushing, one TD and one fumble, and he's the worst running QB in the league?

are ranked according to DYAR, or Defense-adjusted Yards Above Replacement. This gives the value of the performance on plays where this RB carried/caught the ball compared to replacement level, adjusted for situation and opponent and then translated into yardage. DYAR (and its cousin, YAR, which isn't adjusted based on opponent) is further explained here.

THE ULTRA-SHORT VERSION:

DVOA measures a team's efficiency by comparing success on every single play to a league average based on situation and opponent.

THE SHORT VERSION:

DVOA is a method of evaluating teams, units, or players. It takes every single play during the NFL season and compares each one to a league-average baseline based on situation. DVOA measures not just yardage, but yardage towards a first down: Five yards on third-and-4 are worth more than five yards on first-and-10 and much more than five yards on third-and-12. Red zone plays are worth more than other plays. Performance is also adjusted for the quality of the opponent. DVOA is a percentage, so a team with a DVOA of 10.0% is 10 percent better than the average team, and a quarterback with a DVOA of -20.0% is 20 percent worse than the average quarterback. Because DVOA measures scoring, defenses are better when they are negative. For more detail, read below.

Archived