Geno Smith Says Mistakes not His Fault

flgreen

NY Jets' Geno Smith says miscues not his fault, media has 'miscommunicated, misprinted, misunderstood' things It's a tough look for a quarterback to complain about misunderstandings with the media considering everything that's gone wrong with his season and the Jets as a whole.

NEW YORK DAILY NEWS

Published: Monday, October 13, 2014, 8:07 PM
Updated: Monday, October 13, 2014, 11:43 PM
  •  
new-york-jets.jpgHOWARD SIMMONS/NEW YORK DAILY NEWSGeno Smith finds it hard to deal with the New York media - and play quarterback, apparently.

Geno Smith has 99 problems and, according to him, the media is one.

The Jets QB has cursed out a fan, missed a meeting the night before a game, sprinkled in seven interceptions and led his team to five straight losses this season. But it seems he’s unhappy with his news coverage of late.

“I think, obviously, with everything that goes on with the media, a lot of things are, I would say, miscommunicated, and then it just gets misprinted and then misunderstood,” Smith said on a conference call with the Boston media Monday.

He added that the hardest part of the season has been losing, and went on to discuss the effort the team puts in on preparation and game-planning.

“Those things are tougher than I guess what can be said and what is portrayed out there in the media,” he added.

Earlier on Monday, a PR official mistakenly ended Smith’s group interview prematurely following a quick session with the broadcast media, before the print media had a chance to ask all their questions. Two officials spoke to Smith after realizing the error, but the quarterback did not take further questions from the writers.

It’s a tough sell for a quarterback to complain about misunderstandings with the media considering everything that’s gone wrong with his season and the team as a whole.

The Jets, at 1-5 and headed to Foxborough for a Thursday game, are pretty much finished after Week 6, though Rex Ryan tried to put on a brave face and say otherwise Monday.

“We might be counted out, we’re not dead,” Ryan said.

The words might have sounded good but the coach, who said he got little sleep after Sunday’s 31-17 loss to the Broncos, looked like a zombie. He appears to be on the last legs of his Jets career, unlikely to survive another year missing the playoffs.

The coach managed to stay on when Woody Johnson fired Mike Tannenbaum after the 2012 season, and escaped his first year with John Idzik after going 8-8 with a rookie quarterback.

nydailynews_cplogo.png?t=1413141120
New York Jets Lose To Denver Broncos
NY Daily News

16210917.jpg?t=1413141120

But he acknowledged he’s hit rock bottom, having never lost more than three games in a row before this season. In case you’ve lost count, the Jets have dropped five straight.

“Yeah, I would say so,” he said about his new low. “Not by a lack of effort. We’re trying everything we can.”

Ryan knows it will get no easier, having to face a rival on the road with so little preparation time.

“You know playing at New England is probably not ideal,” he admitted. “Both teams don’t like each other. There’s respect for each other but I don’t think you really like each other.”

The Patriots are coming off a 37-22 victory over the Bills and have the benefit of facing the Jets when they are particularly beaten down.

“The morale, any time you have the record we have, it’s not going to be the happiest place to be, obviously,” Ryan said.

It showed on Sunday after the loss when the coach wasn’t the only one who looked defeated. Sheldon Richardson got snippy and Willie Colon, normally outspoken after games, refused to talk.

“It’s tough right now. We’ve got to find a way to stop the bleeding,” Colon said Monday. “We need a victory in the worst way.”

OCT 13
8:15
PM ET
By Rich Cimini | ESPN.com
  •  

FLORHAM PARK, N.J. -- Geno Smith apparently isn't happy with the way his recent off-the-field transgressions have been portrayed by the media. 

The New York Jets' quarterback, who cursed a fan and missed a team meeting on the eve of a game, let his feelings be known while speaking Monday to the Boston media. On a conference call with reporters, Smith was asked about how he's handing his "topsy-turvy" season. (Truth be told, it has been more turvy than topsy.) 

[+] Enlargeny_u_smith_js_300x200.jpg
Adam Hunger/USA TODAY SportsGeno Smith and the Jets are facing scrutiny given the QB's latest actions and the team's 1-5 record.

"For me, it hasn't been," said Smith, who faces the New England Patriots Thursday night on the road. "I think, obviously with everything that goes on with the media, a lot of things are, I would say, miscommunicated, and then it just gets misprinted and then misunderstood. 

"I don't have any quarrels with anything," he continued. "The main thing is that we just have to find a way to get a win. The hardest part about it all is losing. With the effort, the time that we put in, the preparation that we put in throughout the week, coming up with game plans -- we always have a really good game plan going in -- and then obviously we haven't executed as well as we'd like. Those things are tougher than I guess what can be said and what is portrayed out there in the media." 

It's hard to imagine he blames the media for the brush fires he created, yet it seems clear he believes the media blew them out of proportion. He may have created another mini-controversy by going down this road. Such is life in New York when you're the quarterback of a 1-5 team. 

Smith could've answered the question a different way, demonstrating accountability for his actions. It's never a good idea to blame the media, especially when you're struggling to do your job. 

He accepted responsibility in the immediate aftermath of the cursing incident at MetLife Stadium, apologizing after the game. He was fined $12,000 by the NFL for unsportsmanlike conduct toward a fan. 

Smith also apologized to his teammates for missing the team meeting, calling it an honest mistake. He didn't make the meeting because he went to a movie theater near the team hotel in San Diego and lost track of time, he said. He apparently got confused by the three-hour time difference. 

The Jets backed Smith, refusing to discipline him other than a probable fine. It sparked a firestorm of criticism, and people close to Smith say he was taken aback by the fallout. He didn't help matters Monday, sharing his true feelings with the Boston media. 

It conjured up memories of an old Chad Pennington anecdote. The former Jets quarterback usually handled himself well in front of microphones and cameras, but there was one time when he got upset with the media and lectured reporters on how they should consider it a "privilege" to cover the team. 

Pennington got ripped for the comments, and he later remarked it was one of his most regrettable moments during his time in New York.

Smith's got to learn to shut his mouth about the media and play the game.

His being a bad QB is bad enough, these guys are going to destroy him if he takes the bait,  Hey maybe we'll have another locker stuffing incident.  That would liven the season up

Smith's got to learn to shut his mouth about the media and play the game.

His being a bad QB is bad enough, these guys are going to destroy him if he takes the bait, Hey maybe we'll have another locker stuffing incident. That would liven the season up

agreed , he seems completely over matched against the ny media vampires...defiantly a Godzilla vs Bambi thing going on

Geno sucks at QB almost as bad as the Jets suck at preparing and managing their rookies for the brutal NY media.

An organization that is crap will continue to produce crap.

Rinse. Wash. Repeat.  Very good point here.  Not just Geno.  Nobody seems to be telling these players to not stir the fire, stfu and just play football.  

Geno is still just a kid who showed himself to be emotional and prickly during his draft. This shouldn't be too surprising. He also needs to keep it in check. This stuff doesn't translate as leadership to teammates.

If the Jets get thrashed by the Pats this week it's time to bring in M Simms, this accomplishes 1, of 2 things, you find out if he can play in this league, or if he can't you get your tank season, and start over at QB.

I agree

Smith is becoming unhinged, and sucks.  Vick could care less.  I'm not saying Simms has anything any better, but before they go rolling the dice in the 1st round, at least take a look at the guy with a full week of prep

The NY media is vicious. Geno's not your typical jock. I remember watching the Gruden thing and how he sees himself as more of an artist. He's a bit soft spoken with his own views on things. Nothing wrong with any of that unless you're a starting QB in the NFL. I really like Geno. He comes off to me as a pretty genuine kid.  Not sure he's cut out for this job. Pretty sure he's not. NY media is a pack of wolves though. 

2nd round pick, can easily dump.

I don't get the whole second round pick thing. They've wasted two years on him already. New CBA doesn't make it that big of a deal even if he were a first round pick. The bottom line is they've handled him as if he were a first round pick. sh*t, Buffalo benched Manual quicker than the Jets benched Geno. 

if coughlin decides to retire I would send him a blank check if i was woody just so that he can change the atmosphere around these parts..........that is what we need not just a new everything but also a whole new atmosphere.

coughlin might not be a genious but he gets the most from his players and holds people accountable and you notice the media is a not a vulture like they are with the jets and they are that way because our dumbass coach allows for it.

Rex would rather run a frat house than a football team.

if coughlin decides to retire I would send him a blank check if i was woody just so that he can change the atmosphere around these parts..........that is what we need not just a new everything but also a whole new atmosphere.

coughlin might not be a genious but he gets the most from his players and holds people accountable and you notice the media is a not a vulture like they are with the jets and they are that way because our dumbass coach allows for it.

Rex would rather run a frat house than a football team.

The media has destroyed the Jets long before Rex got here.  The media beats the crap out of them because they have been a historically ridiculous franchise.  When writers get put on the Jets beat, it's like being stationed in Antarctica.  Their bitter  

The media has destroyed the Jets long before Rex got here.  The media beats the crap out of them because they have been a historically ridiculous franchise.  When writers get put on the Jets beat, it's like being stationed in Antarctica.  Their bitter  

which is why I said we need a coach that can change the atmosphere.

Media is not a vulture to Couglin because he is coach of the Giants. If he is the HC of the JETS he would fair game for NY media to take shots at will.

Media is not a vulture to Couglin because he is coach of the Giants. If he is the HC of the JETS he would fair game for NY media to take shots at will.

Not only that, but the media doesn't like Couglin at all.  He has survived twice after bad starts, because he won the Super Bowl.  I remember all the talk about firing him, then bang, Hero.

If Couglin was HC of the Jets he wouldn't last 2 seasons.  Parcells made it, well because he's Duane Parcells.  The media likes Rex, he gives them great quotes

This is such an unlikeable team. I never thought it would get worse than 2012 with Sanchez but this team finds ways to surprise me.

Agreed, I personally think this snively, excuse making, defensiveness is an extension of Rex's behind-the-scenes rhetoric.

Not only that, but the media doesn't like Couglin at all.  He has survived twice after bad starts, because he won the Super Bowl.  I remember all the talk about firing him, then bang, Hero.

If Couglin was HC of the Jets he wouldn't last 2 seasons.  Parcells made it, well because he's Duane Parcells.  The media likes Rex, he gives them great quotes

What are you talking about?  The media has been hating on Rex for years.  Some of these guys like Fatso right now are throwing a party that the Jets coach who dared challenge the NFL hierarchy and not always say politically correct stuff is now done.  Only thing that's tempered the media's party is the fact that Idzik did such an awful job it's almost impossible to blame Rex for the season.

Archived