Moving forward, would you rather have Chip Kelly or Rex Ryan as your team's coach?

T0mShane

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was not a huge fan of firing Ryan at the time because I did not think the Jets would manage to hire a better coach - Kelly was the one I would have easily taken over Ryan at the time. 

Obviously it's moot because it didn't happen, but even moreso because I doubt Kelly would have looked at the two rosters and decided to come to New York. Maybe if he was blown away financially, but we all know that wasn't going to happen.

Right now?  All  things equal?  I'd go with Rex.

Until Chip Kelly beats a good Football team (2 wins vs. teams with winning records) and wins a playoff game (0-1).  He's just a good offensive coach who beats up on really bad Football teams.

Rex has done all those things, Chips has not.  He's still got a lot to prove before he's better than Rex Ryan.

Until Chip Kelly beats a good Football team (2 wins vs. teams with winning records) and wins a playoff game (0-1).  He's just a good offensive coach who beats up on really bad Football teams.

Rex has done all those things, Chips has not.  He's still got a lot to prove before he's better than Rex Ryan.

Yeah but Chips do taste good.

Right now? All things equal? I'd go with Rex.

Until Chip Kelly beats a good Football team (2 wins vs. teams with winning records) and wins a playoff game (0-1). He's just a good offensive coach who beats up on really bad Football teams.

Rex has done all those things, Chips has not. He's still got a lot to prove before he's better than Rex Ryan.

Rex has 4 straight non-winning seasons.

Kelly has never had one.

Try asking an intelligent question instead of wasting our time with questions that have so obvious and answer. Rex is a goner in NY and I couldn't be happier when he is gone.

yeah it's obvious now when it's popular to say so lol

College[edit]

Year Team Overall Conference Standing Bowl/playoffs Coaches# AP°Oregon Ducks (Pac-10/Pac-12 Conference) (2009–present) 2009 Oregon 10–3 8–1 1st L Rose 11 11 2010 Oregon 12–1 9–0 1st L BCS NCG 3 3 2011 Oregon 12–2 8–1 T–1st (North) W Rose 4 4 2012 Oregon 12–1 8–1 T–1st (North) W Fiesta 2 2 Oregon: 46–7 33–3   Total: 46–7         National championship         Conference title         Conference division title Indicates College Football Playoff (CFP) game. #Rankings from final Coaches' Poll.

°Rankings from final AP Poll.

NFL[edit]

Team Year Regular season Post season Won Lost Ties Win % Finish Won Lost Win % Result PHI 2013 10 6 0 .625 1st in NFC East 0 1 .000 Lost to New Orleans Saints in NFC Wild Card Game PHI 2014 7 2 0 .778 — — — –   PHI Total 17 8 0 .680   0 1 .000   Total 17 8 0 .680   0 1 .000

Right now? All things equal? I'd go with Rex.

Until Chip Kelly beats a good Football team (2 wins vs. teams with winning records) and wins a playoff game (0-1). He's just a good offensive coach who beats up on really bad Football teams.

Rex has done all those things, Chips has not. He's still got a lot to prove before he's better than Rex Ryan.

Nah 1 1/2 seasons is enough.

I wanted Arians back in the day.  But it wouldn't have mattered.  We, as Jets fans, have become so frustrated we've basically made success here an impossibility for anyone.  We ran Mangini out of town.  Woody was swayed by squawking, impatient fans and a brutal press.  We ran Sanchez out of town...how many times can the kid hear "buttfumble"?  Tanny..OK he had it coming, but Idzik is a year and a half in and fans are already calling for his head.  Attack and swarm mentality is what this fanbase is all about.  Al Groh, Pete Carroll, Chad Pennington, Darelle Revis, Leon Washington, hell, even Curtis Martin, have all been victims of this.  That's why there is no continuity or master plan.  The Jets have caved to the rioting masses time and time again.  It's become a "thing" we as jets fans seem to take a twisted bit of pride in.  We eye success with suspicion, individual failures with delight, and write off the losing Jets culture with "Same Old Jets".  We are eager Martyrs and incessant complainers.  Our team sucks.  We deserve each other.

I wanted Arians back in the day.  But it wouldn't have mattered.  We, as Jets fans, have become so frustrated we've basically made success here an impossibility for anyone.  We ran Mangini out of town.  Woody was swayed by squawking, impatient fans and a brutal press.  We ran Sanchez out of town...how many times can the kid hear "buttfumble"?  Tanny..OK he had it coming, but Idzik is a year and a half in and fans are already calling for his head.  Attack and swarm mentality is what this fanbase is all about.  Al Groh, Pete Carroll, Chad Pennington, Darelle Revis, Leon Washington, hell, even Curtis Martin, have all been victims of this.  That's why there is no continuity or master plan.  The Jets have caved to the rioting masses time and time again.  It's become a "thing" we as jets fans seem to take a twisted bit of pride in.  We eye success with suspicion, individual failures with delight, and write off the losing Jets culture with "Same Old Jets".  We are eager Martyrs and incessant complainers.  Our team sucks.  We deserve each other.

Mangini ran Mangini out of town. He is a nasty jerk. Mangini won 9 games in his last season, which in some circles(like that in Florham Park under RYan) is sometimes grounds for a parade and extension.

What Groh, Edwards, Mangini and Ryan all share is a defense first background. And this is at exactly the point when scoring and passing took off and the rules began to favor the pass. So in each case this franchise choose arguably exactly the wrong kind of coach, be it a players' guy or a hard ass. It's risk averse thinking, the safe choice. And in each case a mistake. The other constant-Robert Wood Johnson the 3rd.

Thank you.  This Chip Kelly love is getting absurd.  He hasn't done anything close to what Rex accomplished his first 2 years and early last year there was talk that his gimmicky offense was going to flop.

The Eagles will fizzle out early in the playoffs yet again but most here will insist Kelly is amazing because his offense is neato.

Stupid.

Archived