- Keep Smith, he has two years left on his contract and he's cheap

- Sign Moore

- Draft the QB we believe in (Mariota, Winston, Hundley?) and let them develop

- Let Smith and Moore battle it out during the off-season

- Let the rookie do nothing but learn the playbook and hold a clipboard for

a year

I would love to see what this offense could do with an HC with a plan and

some stable play out of the QB position

Yes to a new Head Coach biased towards Offense.

No to keeping Smith. Utterly unacceptable.

No to Matt Moore.

No to Winston. Too risky.

Yes to whomever the next young QB we get sitting for at least one full season.

Smith is not a total lost cause (pretty close though) but he should be no more than backup at the very best, perhaps 3rd string.  If we can draft a Qb and go after a vet.  There will be a few guys that probably shake loose from other teams other than the ones listed.  Perhaps Sam Bradford.

Smith is not a total lost cause (pretty close though) but he should be no more than backup at the very best, perhaps 3rd string.  If we can draft a Qb and go after a vet.  There will be a few guys that probably shake loose from other teams other than the ones listed.  Perhaps Sam Bradford.

At a turning point moment like this (should be), you don't keep QB's who failed and were a primary cause of the failure.

Nope, he's got to be gone, off the roster completely, for 2015 IMO.

Comes down to Idzik. If Idzik stays, Smith stays (and may even start in 2015).

if Idzik is fired, Geno Smith will not be a Jet in 2015.

At a turning point moment like this (should be), you don't keep QB's who failed and were a primary cause of the failure.

Geno will make it to training camp, no matter who the GM is. It'll be up to him whether or not he wins a roster spot from there.

Two teams to look at right now are the Rams and Texans. Both teams have no starting qb in place yet both teams are playing very well and improving each week. The difference: coaching.

The Jets need to hire the right Gm who will hire the right coach. This team has enough talent to win, they just forgot how. Obviously the qb position is not what we want and hopefully that changes.

Geno is only 23yrs old with 2yrs experience at the end of the season, plus he is on his rookie contract. I would be stunned if he is not on the team next yr and that is even if there is an entire cleansing of coaching staff and upper mgmt. I absolutely agree he should NOT go in as the starter for training camp, but he will be here for camp competition and at worst be the back-up. I also agree a vet would be good and we need to draft another QB this coming draft who should preferably sit for 1yr.

I'm very down on Geno but not quite ready to quit on him as being either a serviceable stopgap starter or at least a back-up.

Geno will make it to training camp, no matter who the GM is. It'll be up to him whether or not he wins a roster spot from there.

If they really want him off roster, they might be able to get a pick.  Geno still has some upside and he's locked in for uner $1M for the next two.  It's not like trying to move Sanchez and his approximately $10M per year.  

What a dilemma we have regarding a QB.

None of us have any patience for what it will take to bring a guy along sloooowly.

But we have to.

No one has the patience for a guy like Idzik but believe it or not being frugal was the smart move.

Tough job in NY.

Let's go back to some suggestions for the offseason.

Sign Revis for 20 million?

Sign Rogers-Cromarty? Isn't he hurt?

Resign Howard?

Please, there wasn't anything we could have done to get to 8 wins, and what for really.

This a full bore rebuild.

Better do it while Brady ages & Bills are still looking for a QB.

I just want them to do something bold & innovative like the Eagles did going after Kelly. They still get beat but at least it's fun to watch.

Watching the Jets these last 4 years is like watching paint dry. Most boring team in football!

Any properly run franchise would not have Geno on the team next year.  It is, although, the type of mistake this franchise seems to make over and over again.

Honestly even if Idzik is back (which I have a hard believing he will be) I think he even has to realize it's time to move on...

It's not like Geno "flashed" and made you think he just needs more time.  He's terrible in almost every aspect of the game.  

With the failure of Vick to impress at all, our "best" options for stop gap

QB next year may be Geno Smith or Matt Moore.  The hope for Smith is a new

coach coming in with a clear plan for his development and he finally "gets

it" like Alex Smith did with Jim Harbaugh in 2011.  As for Moore he really

hasn't played since 2011 but when he did he showed some promise: 

http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/stats/_/id/11128/matt-moore

After scanning the free agent QB's available none of them are doing anything

to change my perception of them (Sanchez, Hoyer, Locker etc).  In my view

our best bet is:

- Hire new HC with a vision for our offense and a clear plan to develop QB's

- Keep Smith, he has two years left on his contract and he's cheap

- Sign Moore

- Draft the QB we believe in (Mariota, Winston, Hundley?) and let them develop

- Let Smith and Moore battle it out during the off-season

- Let the rookie do nothing but learn the playbook and hold a clipboard for

a year

I would love to see what this offense could do with an HC with a plan and

some stable play out of the QB position

Im not a Winston/Hundley Fan. 

Jeff Fisher loves Bradford - Dont expect him to be available.

When we beat the titans we are going to be draft around 5. Mariotta is either going to case this years First AND Second AND next years First  OR he simply wont be available as the titans/bucs may just take him themselves.  

What a huge game we have next weekend. With Rex keeping all rookies on the bench and our team more focused on winning now then when it mattered things are not looking good here. 

Two teams to look at right now are the Rams and Texans. Both teams have no starting qb in place yet both teams are playing very well and improving each week. The difference: coaching.

The Jets need to hire the right Gm who will hire the right coach. This team has enough talent to win, they just forgot how. Obviously the qb position is not what we want and hopefully that changes.

The Rams are one of the most talented teams in the league in all positions. They would have drafted another QB high but have the number 1 overall pick there in Bradford. I see them as a perfect landing spot for Cook in the draft. 

The Texans perhaps handled the QB perfectly. A veteran to start now who has played well and is still young. A young guy with upside in Mallet who knows the system. Drafted a guy in Savage who could sit a whole year and learn. 

I would prefer the Texans strategy next year if we beat Tenn. 

Only a couple of things I want Woody to do.

Fire John Idzik, don't touch anything else on the team. Hire a new GM.

Preferably one who, you know, knows something about football. Take a yer long good will tour to Somalia.

Let the new GM have total control to hire, or fire, anybody in the organization he wants.

I don't trust any moves until we get a GM with some scouting ability to lead this franchise.

Hire an Offensive coach and let him decide if he can salvage Geno.

I'd take a Flyer on Bradford, but hes really I-Prone.

Would really like to draft and develop a guy, but that hasn't worked out too well.

Looking bleak...

Why?  He is not cost prohibitive, just make sure his rump is firmly in the 3rd or 2nd spot and he has to work to try and climb the ladder.  If we dump him some other team picks him up as their 2 or 3 and we have to find anotehr 2 or 3.  I don't view failed starters as some cancer you have to get rid of if you have a smart coach.

Preferably one who, you know, knows something about football. Take a yer long good will tour to Somalia.

Let the new GM have total control to hire, or fire, anybody in the organization he wants.

To bad Idzik was not given that courtesy when Woody forced him to keep rex and too bad Woody forced rex on the whole process or we may have had a better gm in the 1st place than idzik.

So Rex Ryan, Marty M. and Geno Smith all back in 2015?

I.....I have no words.

To bad Idzik was not given that courtesy when Woody forced him to keep rex and too bad Woody forced rex on the whole process or we may have had a better gm in the 1st place than idzik.

The bold is a real issue. The Jets got the lesser candidate in Idzik because -besides Tom Gamble- no one else wanted the job. No doubt about that. The way they were evaluating candidates is another big issue. The two finalists for the job were both cap guys (Idzik and Kahn) rather than personnel guys. That tells me they don't even know how to hire a GM. And that's a bigger concern.

Still, they have to break the cycle around here since Parcells resigned as head coach and do a complete house cleaning. Keeping Idzik will result in getting lesser head coaching candidates to accept interviews. No one wants to work for an ineffective, lame-duck micro-manager.

Totally agree there. Smith as a backup would be ok. Hoping Bradford gets the ax. 

no - they can tread water for 3 years which is what I'm predicting...

unless jets hit an andrew-luck type HR in draft or FA, team isn't contending for 3 years true. However, it would be almost impossible to do worse than Geno next year--but with idzik behind the wheel anything is possible!

Trade for Ryan Nassib.

This is a very interesting option.  I was hoping the Jets would draft him instead of g-nope.  I remember watching the Syracuse-WV bowl game in Yankee Stadium and thinking g-nope looked terrible and Nassib looked decent in that bad weather game.

Maybe the Giants would be open to a trade.  

This is a very interesting option. I was hoping the Jets would draft him instead of g-nope. I remember watching the Syracuse-WV bowl game in Yankee Stadium and thinking g-nope looked terrible and Nassib looked decent in that bad weather game.

Maybe the Giants would be open to a trade.

I liked Nassib that year, too. Especially where the Giants picked him, I thought that was good value.

I wonder what he would cost in a trade. Couldn't be that much.

Archived