Block #91 they said...

DaBallhawk

This is another one of your nonsensical, repeated laments, but really, what is Rex's motivation to play the kids? Does he somehow owe John Idzik the favor of helping to develop the alleged young talent he brought in? No. The guy was coaching for his job this year, or auditioning for his next one. He's gonna put the best players on the field in an attempt to win games. And that's what he should be expected to do.

You want Rex to play sixth and seventh rounders who aren't earning it in practice? Guarantee him that he'll be the coach next year. That would do it.

So in one breath, Rex had no motivation to play the rookies because he was coaching for his job, then in another breath the Rookie class was a bust. 

We dont know who was earning what in practice to be honest. Why can I say that? I seen a a young Antonio Allen "earning it" on the football field (I can't talk about practice given that I dont actually see it. Not sure if you do) yet they sign Ed Reed and that was basically the end of AA's season last year. Kyle Wilson is a travesty yet he plays all the time. I guess Rex plays him because it was a pick of his so he has to try to make that work...I dont know. 

Do you watch the practices? 

This is another one of your nonsensical, repeated laments, but really, what is Rex's motivation to play the kids? Does he somehow owe John Idzik the favor of helping to develop the alleged young talent he brought in? No. The guy was coaching for his job this year, or auditioning for his next one. He's gonna put the best players on the field in an attempt to win games. And that's what he should be expected to do.

You want Rex to play sixth and seventh rounders who aren't earning it in practice? Guarantee him that he'll be the coach next year. That would do it.

Because playing Babin, Colon, and Pace has really increased his profile and endeared him to future employers?

So in one breath, Rex had no motivation to play the rookies because he was coaching for his job, then in another breath the Rookie class was a bust. 

We dont know who was earning what in practice to be honest. Why can I say that? I seen a a young Antonio Allen "earning it" on the football field (I can't talk about practice given that I dont actually see it. Not sure if you do) yet they sign Ed Reed and that was basically the end of AA's season last year. Kyle Wilson is a travesty yet he plays all the time. I guess Rex plays him because it was a pick of his so he has to try to make that work...I dont know. 

Do you watch the practices?

Jason Babin, the player named by Shane most often, has been playing very well. I do think that if one of the kids was outperforming him in practice, that he'd be on the field. Like I said, Rex has spent the year either coaching for this job or his next one, he's not going to leave better players on the bench.

Also - Wilson is better than he's ever given credit for, and the Jets have absolutely nothing else at the CB position (despite the two draft picks and FA signing this year). If you wanna see kids play on Rex's team, you need look no further than the UDFAs at CB.

Because playing Babin, Colon, and Pace has really increased his profile and endeared him to future employers?

Compared to what this hot mess might've looked like if he pulled them for the children? Probably.

Again, what's his motivation to play Idzik's late round picks? He has none.

Seems like you can judge a draft when you cut half of the players you chose in it.

Agreed, Fans confuse that it takes 3 years on average for a player to reach his potential, and that some players are not ready physically due to coming from a small conference or a lack of snaps at the college level and these guys need more time. For instance, After 1 year of Dowling being a piece of glass and then getting injured 2 more in camp the next year or Ron Brace not ever making a play in the first year, you knew he was a bust, you might have hoped that he would turn it around, but you knew it. For the jets is was Gholston and Hill, You did not need three years  to see that hill could not catch. 

Just because they are rare cases of guys like Ninkovich who take 3 years to show they can play and were taken in the fifth rd. If you take a guy in the 2nd or 3rd and he takes three years to develop, you have him for one year and then he is a FA- to me that is a miss.

Jason Babin, the player named by Shane most often, has been playing very well. I do think that if one of the kids was outperforming him in practice, that he'd be on the field. Like I said, Rex has spent the year either coaching for this job or his next one, he's not going to leave better players on the bench.

Also - Wilson is better than he's ever given credit for, and the Jets have absolutely nothing else at the CB position (despite the two draft picks and FA signing this year). If you wanna see kids play on Rex's team, you need look no further than the UDFAs at CB.

I agree with Babin. In a limited role he's helped. Wilson is horrible, to prove it. We had the worst CB situation probably in the league yet Wilson couldn't take either the CB1 or CB2 position. He's been in the system his entire professional career bro. He should have been better suited to take over that than Adams or Williams. Wilson couldn't step up and is surely a bust. 

Willie Colon has literally destroyed offensive drives, we both no this. Keeping him in the games resulted in a 3 win season. Rex could have replaced him, thats what a good coach that is coaching for his job does. Good coaches find the correct pieces, not what he simply thinks are the best pieces. 

My main point though to your prior statement is that its not fair for rookies who wont get opportunities because their coach is "coaching for his job" to be labeled a bust because of it. That can't be both ways. Either they're bust because they've shown to be bust (like Kyle Wilson) or Rex Ryan has no incentive to play Idzik's players so he's simply not doing it, which actually hurts the team and the Jets brand, which is more of a reason to fire him because that would be a scumbag move and more of a reason for other teams to be wary of hiring him because he has a tendency to harm the team when the pressure is on him.

My main point though to your prior statement is that its not fair for rookies who wont get opportunities because their coach is coaching for his job to be labeled a bust because of it. That can't be both ways. Either they're bust because they've shown to be bust (like Kyle Wilson) or Rex Ryan has no incentive to play Idzik's players so he's simply not doing it, which actually hurts the team and the Jets brand, which is more of a reason to fire him because that would be a scumbag move.

Colon hurts the team with penalties, but there's no evidence that any of the OL ranted by this team in the last two years is any better on the field - or less likely to commit a foul.

There's nothing scumbag about playing the best players. That's who the coach should be playing. And if the best players aren't very good, and there are young rookies sitting behind them, they're probably worse. A guy like Wilson wasn't worth the first round selection, but he's effective in the slot. Doesn't make a lot of plays, doesn't give up a lot either. Rex knows enough to keep him in the slot, cut Idzik's draft pick, and play a street free agent to start on the outside. Why? I guess because the draft pick wasn't as good as the kid on the street. Rex is showing a willingness there to play the kid regardless of his veteran status, but the players Idzik drafted aren't making the cut. Tells me the draft picks haven't been good enough.

Compared to what this hot mess might've looked like if he pulled them for the children? Probably.

Again, what's his motivation to play Idzik's late round picks? He has none.

So, Rex has no motivation to play the GM's draft picks, but you've magically divined that those picks probably suck anyway, so Rex is justified both practically and pseudo-philosophically, but the GM is at fault because...

So, Rex has no motivation to play the GM's draft picks, but you've magically divined that those picks probably suck anyway, so Rex is justified both practically and pseudo-philosophically, but the GM is at fault because...

I have magically divined that Rex will play the best players regardless of where they came from in an effort to win games, and if street free agents or has-been/never-weres are beating out Idzik's draft picks then, yes, they probably suck.

Who would Bill Parcells play?

Why not? He's been playing first and second rounders under center who didn't earn it in practice since day one. Might as well get some bang for your buck at positions of less value.

I have magically divined that Rex will play the best players regardless of where they came from in an effort to win games, and if street free agents or has-been/never-weres are beating out Idzik's draft picks then, yes, they probably suck.

Who would Bill Parcells play?

We'll bring Parcells and Weeb into this conversation when Rex has a career winning percentage higher than Joe Walton.

Colon hurts the team with penalties, but there's no evidence that any of the OL ranted by this team in the last two years is any better on the field - or less likely to commit a foul.

There's nothing scumbag about playing the best players. That's who the coach should be playing. And if the best players aren't very good, and there are young rookies sitting behind them, they're probably worse. A guy like Wilson wasn't worth the first round selection, but he's effective in the slot. Doesn't make a lot of plays, doesn't give up a lot either. Rex knows enough to keep him in the slot, cut Idzik's draft pick, and play a street free agent to start on the outside. Why? I guess because the draft pick wasn't as good as the kid on the street. Rex is showing a willingness there to play the kid regardless of his veteran status, but the players Idzik drafted aren't making the cut. Tells me the draft picks haven't been good enough.

There's no evidence because players aren't playing because they're Idzik's rookies remember? And there is something scumbag about playing what you deem are the best players when those players are not producing. Why not let Matt Simms play when Geno was failing and Vick said himself that he basically wasnt interested in practicing and being prepared? Why not put in Dozier when Colon destroys drives with penalties and mental mistakes? Those rookies sitting behind him are probably worse, but probably not. Not playing them will never allow us to find out. Rex was willing to play Adams/Williams because it seems like the only thing Rex cares about are Cornerbacks. The players Idzik drafted seemed to be making the cut such as Ik Enemkpali, who everyone thought wouldnt make the team. Finally got on the field for a very limited role and had two batted balls and a sack.  Tevor Reilly is looking like he could be a fine special teamer. 

Yet he's not making the cut because Rex simply aren't playing these guys, nothing more. 

The argument that Richardson is a bad pick relative to Revis is absurd considering that our biggest gripe in our good years was lack of a pass rush. Equally crazy is that we wouldn't want a Revis even if he took a step back which means he's only 3 steps better than everyone else at the position not named Sherman. We could probably use Revis now over Richardson, if price wasn't an issue. Problem is that it was an issue and so he can't play here anymore. This is splitting hairs on acid

When you are the best player at your position, you can name your salary.

That's the way it works in the NFL.

Which is why it was fantastic that we were able to get Richardson for someone who we didn't want to pay.

It's interesting - if we had traded Revis directly to the Pats for Richardson (not that that would ever happen), it would be one of those rare trades that would have been great for both sides.  Revis is awesome, but having him on this year's Jets team would be spending $12M of cap for a slightly worse 2015 draft slot.

Which is why it was fantastic that we were able to get Richardson for someone who we didn't want to pay.

It's interesting - if we had traded Revis directly to the Pats for Richardson (not that that would ever happen), it would be one of those rare trades that would have been great for both sides. Revis is awesome, but having him on this year's Jets team would be spending $12M of cap for a slightly worse 2015 draft slot.

Never in a million years would the Jets have traded Revis to a division rival, let alone the Pats.

Not to mention, the Pats did not have a high enough draft pick to get the trade done.

Sheldon Richardson is awesome.

Arguing you can't judge the draft class yet is a little silly. Idzik kind of judged his own draft class when he elected to release almost half of the 12 guys he drafted.

Not like the roster is stacked. This is a 3-12 team, and a lot of the players who were released played positions that are extremely weak on the roster right now. It's either bad drafting or bad roster management if you want  to build via the draft, but not a good GM job regardless.

Plus Evans likely would've been released if healthy given he was showing nothing in camp, and McDougle was a known injury risk who was drafted way too early given that risk and then unsurprisingly got injured.

And none of the late rounders who made the roster (Dozier, IK, Reilly) are anything more than back of the roster types right now and the two early round picks (Pryor, Amaro) have been mixed bags at best.

Sheldon Richardson is awesome.

Arguing you can't judge the draft class yet is a little silly. Idzik kind of judged his own draft class when he elected to release almost half of the 12 guys he drafted.

Not like the roster is stacked. This is a 3-12 team, and a lot of the players who were released played positions that are extremely weak on the roster right now. It's either bad drafting or bad roster management if you want to build via the draft, but not a good GM job regardless.

Plus Evans likely would've been released if healthy given he was showing nothing in camp, and McDougle was a known injury risk who was drafted way too early given that risk and then unsurprisingly got injured.

And none of the late rounders who made the roster (Dozier, IK, Reilly) are anything more than back of the roster types right now and the two early round picks (Pryor, Amaro) have been mixed bags at best.

The bright spot is Amaro, who, literally, drops at least one ball per game...

It's interesting - if we had traded Revis directly to the Pats for Richardson (not that that would ever happen), it would be one of those rare trades that would have been great for both sides.  Revis is awesome, but having him on this year's Jets team would be spending $12M of cap for a slightly worse 2015 draft slot.

Not if it was up to ESPN. They would have touted it as highway robbery and the greatest trade of all time in favor of the Pats. Remember when they get Albert Haynesworth  ESPN all but handed the Pats the Lombardi.

And runs like he has a pole up his derriere.

In preseason I posted my concern that Amaro just didn't look very athletic (stiff) and that his body type looked soft.

I got killed!

People were like "he's big & strong, blah, blah, blah"

I'm sorry, the guy looks like he should spend a lot more time in the weight room!

I'm not giving up on Amaro but he's got a lot of work to do & he needs to stop dropping easy f*cking catches. Amazing the easy drops he's had this year, dude, do your job which #1 is catch the damn ball.

Archived