Did the NY Jets ruin Geno Smith YOU decide

joewilly12

What he needed was a HC who's main philosophy wasn't to run the ball and win with D. Rex was allergic to turnovers at first sign of adversity back to the G&P and try to win 10-7 games. Your right he had pretty stacked teams in 2009-10, its just a shame that our HC had no clue how to utilize the weapons they had on O, because G&P worked effectively Rex rode it till in broke and hasn't recovered since. Irony of those 2009-10 playoff runs , it was Rex's vaunted D that was the utlimate factor in the Jets getting eliminated.

With the way Sanchez threw the ball when he did throw, would YOU be slinging it all over the field? Kid couldn't even be an efficient QB when he had the best run game in football.

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What he needed was a HC who's main philosophy wasn't to run the ball and win with D. Rex was allergic to turnovers at first sign of adversity back to the G&P and try to win 10-7 games. Your right he had pretty stacked teams in 2009-10, its just a shame that our HC had no clue how to utilize the weapons they had on O, because G&P worked effectively Rex rode it till in broke and hasn't recovered since. Irony of those 2009-10 playoff runs , it was Rex's vaunted D that was the utlimate factor in the Jets getting eliminated.

I remember the O scoring 0 points in the 2nd half against the Colts, and 3 points in the first half against the Steelers. Not sure how that's the fault of the D.

Gene would have never been a good NFL QB - way too wlid (seems to loft balls over people heads far too often) and no touch...In addition to the fact that he can't read a defense.

Notice in that video - Not once did he look off his primary receiver - got the snap - looked at one guy, waited until he was open and threw it.

You simply can't do that in the NFL ....That's the key skill that's so hard to determine with these guys coming out of college.  Will they or won't they be able to make multiple reads and quick decisions.

I remember the O scoring 0 points in the 2nd half against the Colts, and 3 points in the first half against the Steelers. Not sure how that's the fault of the D.

The Steelers ran all over the Jets D in the 1st half with Rashard Mendenhall looking like Jim Brown. They were down 24-0 before Sanchez almost rallied them back in the 2nd half. The D came out pancake flat in that game.

In the Colts game the Jets had the lead at half due to 2 Sanchez TD passes. Rex thought he could nurse the lead in the 2nd half but when Shonn Greene went down his chorous line offense 1-2-3 kick gave the ball back to Peyton repeatedly  who had 3 long drives against that stellar D to put up 17 unanswered points.

The Steelers ran all over the Jets D in the 1st half with Rashard Mendenhall looking like Jim Brown. They were down 24-0 before Sanchez almost rallied them back in the 2nd half. The D came out pancake flat in that game.

In the Colts game the Jets had the lead at half due to 2 Sanchez TD passes. Rex thought he could nurse the lead in the 2nd half but when Shonn Greene went down his chorous line offense 1-2-3 kick gave the ball back to Peyton repeatedly who had 3 long drives against that stellar D to put up 17 unanswered points.

All true, but doesn't change the fact that the Sanchez-led O went 60 straight minutes of AFCCG football and scored only 3 points. IMO, that's the reason they lost. Not because they couldn't completely shut down 2 future HOF QBs (Mendenhall's 30 broken tackles aside).

Football is football though I agree the NFL is alot tougher but I still dont think he has been coached properly and given the right opportunities by the OCs that have been here for him 2 slugs Sparano and MM both suck ass

How come no one mentions QB coach David Lee? He is the one that is supposed to knock off the rough edges and teach him things like footwork, recognition of situations and defenses. The NFL is a faster game and guys are not wide open as they were in that video. Clearly Geno is not accurate when guys are covered. He cannot 'throw them open' like a Brady or Manning. He is wild high on sideline out patterns (or Harvin would have two more TD's). When a QB fails to develop when he has a QB coach dedicated to him then it proves either he hasn't got the talent or he wasn't properly taught. I think in Geno's case it is a combination of both. Against NE, instead of taking that sack and putting Folk out of FG range, a savvy QB would have changed the play at the line when he saw max blitz coming, but he didn't. Whose fault? 

BARF Scott earned his new name in that game.  He had Mendenhall behind the LOS three times and failed even once to lay a glove on him. Pittsburgh ran the ball down the Jets throats and Rex made NO adjustments. Sanchez got the Jets 19 second half points and I think the Jets would have won if they got the ball back, but the DEFENSE did not get a stop. That was the start of the Rex excuse machine.

The guy, whom everyone passed on once, is just not very good. He makes poor decisions, is wily inaccurate, and ha actually regressed from last year in many facets of his game. He wasn't ruined by the Jets, he was January exposed as what he really was: mediocre trending on below average.

Why does this keep getting repeated as though it's the universally accepted, tell-tale sign of someone predestined for failure? I'm not trying to single you out, as it's only been written here a hundred prior times by others.

Any QB who wasn't drafted in the first round was passed on by 31 other teams at least once.

- Like Carr, who many are already in love with, this past April.

- Like Drew Brees.

- Russell Wilson was passed on by everyone twice and was passed on three times by the worst half of NFL teams that are the most in-need of a QB. Brady six times (7 for some, since he was a compensatory 6th).

- Other QBs who were undrafted outright, like Romo, were passed on by every team for the entire draft, and no one felt said player was even worthy of their (rarely useful) 7th round compensatory pick.

- Even within round 1, 22 teams still passed on Aaron Rodgers and his fall was not totally unlike Geno's: it would have shocked no one if he went in the top 3 overall, and he unexpectedly dropped 20 slots from the top of round 1, and did so in a draft that was weak up top to begin with. 

People pass on a QB in round 1, even if they like a player, because any GM knows he's married to that QB for 2 seasons (1 season even if he's a monumental/historical bust). It's one thing to like a player and it's another thing to gamble one's own career on him. Whiff on a round 1 QB you're probably getting fired before the chance comes to draft another, which will be 2 years later if it's the franchise's draft mistake of a decade. Whiff on a round 2 QB and it's forgiven and forgotten, and no one would begrudge you the GM if you then took a QB in round 1 the following year.

If a player like sucks, it's because he sucks (lack of talent, lack of a head for the game, lack of proper development, or any/all of these reasons), not because of his draft slot. Otherwise it would be virtually unheard of for a QB to escape round 1 (or get drafted a round lower than fans initially expected in ANY round) and still pan out. Since even a casual fan knows that is far from true, I don't understand why this keeps getting repeated as though draft slot is and was and will be the telltale sign of certain future doom.

Why does this keep getting repeated as though it's the universally accepted, tell-tale sign of someone predestined for failure? I'm not trying to single you out, as it's only been written here a hundred prior times by others.

Any QB who wasn't drafted in the first round was passed on by 31 other teams at least once.

- Like Drew Brees.

- Russell Wilson was passed on by everyone twice and was passed on three times by the worst half of NFL teams that are the most in-need of a QB. Brady six times (7 for some, since he was a compensatory 6th).

- Other QBs who were undrafted outright, like Romo, were passed on by every team for the entire draft, and no one felt said player was even worthy of their (rarely useful) 7th round compensatory pick.

- Even within round 1, 22 teams still passed on Aaron Rodgers and his fall was not totally unlike Geno's: it would have shocked no one if he went in the top 3 overall, and he unexpectedly dropped 20 slots from the top of round 1, and did so in a draft that was weak up top to begin with.

People pass on a QB in round 1, even if they like a player, because any GM knows he's married to that QB for 2 seasons (1 season even if he's a monumental/historical bust). It's one thing to like a player and it's another thing to gamble one's own career on him. Whiff on a round 1 QB you're probably getting fired before the chance comes to draft another, which will be 2 years later if it's the franchise's draft mistake of a decade. Whiff on a round 2 QB and it's forgiven and forgotten, and no one would begrudge you the GM if you then took a QB in round 1 the following year.

If a player like sucks, it's because he sucks (lack of talent, lack of a head for the game, lack of proper development, or any/all of these reasons), not because of his draft slot. Otherwise it would be virtually unheard of for a QB to escape round 1 (or get drafted a round lower than fans initially expected in ANY round) and still pan out. Since even a casual fan knows that is far from true, I don't understand why this keeps getting repeated as though draft slot is and was and will be the telltale sign of certain future doom.

Was Drew Brees or Russell Wilson or anyone of that ilk you just named thought to be at various times before the draft to be the overall #1 pick and then slid precipitously into the second round where he was selected?

And quit picking on me. :)

- Like Drew Brees.

all valid points but in the flip side if G-No was picked in the 4th round and wasn't so much talked about before the draft would some people give him the same leash and blame other factors for his general suckitude or just call it as it is he's a not a good QB

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/jets/mehta-geno-smith-pulled-fast-jets-article-1.1970991

Geno Smith is a back up QB. That's it. All the pre draft rumblings were correct. He's not the leader of the team and will be lucky to even have a #2 job in NY next year.

Who is the leader of the team?  This team lacks leadership and guys on the field who take control. Team Captains have been jokes. Easy to blame it all on Geno when you wear a blindfold to everything else going on here. 

BARF Scott earned his new name in that game.  He had Mendenhall behind the LOS three times and failed even once to lay a glove on him. Pittsburgh ran the ball down the Jets throats and Rex made NO adjustments. Sanchez got the Jets 19 second half points and I think the Jets would have won if they got the ball back, but the DEFENSE did not get a stop. That was the start of the Rex excuse machine.

Pitt was shut out in the 2nd half and Rex made no adjustments?? In the 2nd half the D got a safety to get to 19 points but fact is if Sanchez doesn't have a fumble returned for a td in the 1st half the Jets would have won..

Pitt was shut out in the 2nd half and Rex made no adjustments?? In the 2nd half the D got a safety to get to 19 points but fact is if Sanchez doesn't have a fumble returned for a td in the 1st half the Jets would have won..

Its just unfathomable that a team playing for the AFC crown came out as flat as they did that day. For this alone Rex should have been fired - just simply inexcusable.

Was Drew Brees or Russell Wilson or anyone of that ilk you just named thought to be at various times before the draft to be the overall #1 pick and then slid precipitously into the second round where he was selected?

And quit picking on me. :)

I remember seeing a scouting report that said Wilson would have been a easy top 1st rd QB pick if he was 4 inches taller he had it all.. Bree's at just 6 ft had the same problem..

Its just unfathomable that a team playing for the AFC crown came out as flat as they did that day. For this alone Rex should have been fired - just simply inexcusable.

So coming out like Denver did in the last years Bowl should have meant the end of John Fox who has a HOF QB?? Or does that rule just apply to Rex?? LOL

So coming out like Denver did in the last years Bowl should have meant the end of John Fox who has a HOF QB?? Or does that rule just apply to Rex?? LOL

FOX has made it to 2 Super Bowls..... And several championship games with Jake Delhomme as his QB.

I would take FOX over REX every time. FOX is a football coach. REX is a DC.

FOX has made it to 2 Super Bowls..... And several championship games with Jake Delhomme as his QB.

I would take FOX over REX every time. FOX is a football coach. REX is a DC.

Yes he mad 2 bowls and lost with better QB's then Rex ever had.. Forget Rex for a second you are doing the same thing you always blame me for but using Fox..LOL

I'm sure many Bronco fans would agree with that sentiment, personally I never was enamored with Fox , but he's Denver's problem not ours. 

If it's no big deal when Rex did it with a rookie Sanchez and also in his 2nd year why is it a big deal when Fox did it with a QB in his 5th year?? 

DelHomme was a practice squad player promoted to back up.  Sanchez was a 1st rounder.

DelHomme was developed, a team built around him.   We in Charlotte never got the sense that Fox neglected the offense.

cause it doesn't fit the agenda

Disagree...FOX only had 1 abysmal season with the Panthers.  He was fired after a 2-12 season.  He left the Panthers with a winning record. 2 11 win seasons and 1 12 win season.  Coached long enough to be there for plenty of roster turnover, drafts etc... the team did not fall to shreds under his reign.

REX...well, OK you think we have an agenda, I think we have a coach whose team has slipped to below mediocrity, poor player development, no discipline etc, but an agenda???

I lobbied for REX to come back when others were calling for his head last year. Its time, this fish stinks.

1 game = a career?

You can find "high light" video's on any bum QB that make him look like Montana. I think he lost 6 of the 8 last games with WV. The Pin Stripe Bowl was a classic. He played in it just like he has played for the Jets. That is his career to date

DelHomme was a practice squad player promoted to back up.  Sanchez was a 1st rounder.

DelHomme was developed, a team built around him.   We in Charlotte never got the sense that Fox neglected the offense.

And Johnny Unitas was cut by the Steelers after being drafted in the then 9th rd.. Some players just have it when they enter the League.  Ryan leaf was the 2nd player picked after Manning but he never developed under HC Kevin Gilbride with the Chargers.(The Giants OC for their last 2 bowl wins) Speaking of San Diego you know who the QB coach for Drew Bree's was?? None other then Brian Schottenheimer.. I grant you Rex is not a complete HC and he should get blamed for his mistakes, he should have been gone with Tanny.However lets see if that brilliant Chip Kelly gets Sanchez to take him to the NFCCG..LOL 

Archived