Going For DeCosta

KRL

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

New York Jets request permission to talk to Eagles director of pro personnel Rick Mueller

By Brandon Lee Gowton  @BrandonGowton on Dec 30 2014, 12:00p 15 

usa-today-8299008.0.jpg
Jim O'Connor-USA TODAY Sports

According to a report by Manish Mehta of the New York Daily News, the New York Jets have requested permission to interview Philadelphia Eaglesdirector of pro personnel Rick Mueller for their general manager vacancy. The Jets fired former general manager John Idzik, along with head coach Rex Ryan, on Monday.

After spending eight seasons in the Saints' personnel department, Mueller served as a general manager of the Omaha Nighthawks of the United Football League in 2010-2011. Mueller then joined the Eagles in 2012. He was promoted from player personnel executive to his current title earlier in 2014.

It is a little interesting to see that the Jets are interviewing Mueller and not vice president of player personnel Tom Gamble,who is thought to be a top GM candidatethis offseason. According to Les Bowen, however, the Jets interviewed Gamble last year and it did not go very well.

This will be something to keep an eye on moving forward.

I dont get this move, so much for Gamble. I was still hoping to hear his name mentioned. Not so hot on Mueller.

Agreed.. I have no idea what his motivations are for staying put, maybe its family reasons? Generally speaking, I'd prefer the guy who would want to come here and fix something that's been broken for a long long time. Also NYC. This job has to be the biggest challenge out there, and we have an early pick and plenty of CAP space

He's been with the Ravens organization since 1996. He is emotionally very attached to them. I can understand that motivation.

Some peoples' motivations are the success of the team they loved. For others it's personal ambition and personal accomplishment. Each is understandable, and it depends on the person.

That being said, my hope here is that DeCosta isn't satisfied with Ozzie taking full credit for everything they do together. Like Belichick back in the Tuna Helper days.

Yes, that's exactly why he wasn't interested.  Wait, no it wasn't.

All I'm saying is that if Rex were something that would draw Decosta here, which is what the other guy implied, it didn't work 2 years ago.

I don't pretend to know why Decosta actually turned us down, as you seem to, but I do know that if he wanted to work with Rex, he had the chance and turned it down already.

If DeCosta decides to hang around in Balt. is this guy a candidate for the GM position? If we're looking for an up- and- comer, maybe this guy checks off the boxes.
Not familiar with his body of work.

Report: Bears want to interview Vince Newsome for GM job
by Larry Hartstein | CBSSports.com

The Bears want to interview Ravens pro personnel director Vince Newsome to be their general manager, reports the Baltimore Sun. Newsome joined the team's personnel department in 1993 and has held his current job for five years.

He played safety in the NFL for 11 seasons.

I would rather work in NY than Baltimore.  But more power to him, whatever he decides. Has a chance to do it on his own.  Maybe he just does not have the sack for it?  Say he slides into the Raven job in a year or two.  He can cry Ozzie if the players fail to perform---at least for while.  Up here he would be on his own

This report has us looking at 5 candidates:

The Newark Star-Ledger reports the Jets are currently considering five candidates for the general-manager vacancy.

We already knew Seahawks director of pro personnel Trent Kirchner and Ravens assistant GM Eric DeCosta, but beat writer Dom Cosentino reports there are three more names on the list. Texans college scouting director Mike Maccagnan, Vikings assistant GM George Paton and Eagles pro personnel director Rick Mueller are apparently all being considered to replace John Idzik. The Jets would be wise to hire a general manager before making a move at coach.

As they should:

Ian RapoportVerified account ‏@RapSheet 24m24 minutes ago

#Jets are expected to make a significant push for #Ravens assistant GM Eric DeCosta, per source. Many have tried for the respected executive

I've been waiting 30 years for this. If we end up with Bowles and DeCosta I will feel...... feel.... joy. Never felt that because of the NY Jets.

I REALLY like Tobin from Cinci as a back up. Great young executive that has helped that cursed franchise turn around, at least when it comes to a roster overflowing with talent.

I've been waiting 30 years for this. If we end up with Bowles and DeCosta I will feel...... feel.... joy. Never felt that because of the NY Jets.

I REALLY like Tobin from Cinci as a back up. Great young executive that has helped that cursed franchise turn around, at least when it comes to a roster overflowing with talent.

Love it too.... Please say yes to the interview DeCosta

All I'm saying is that if Rex were something that would draw Decosta here, which is what the other guy implied, it didn't work 2 years ago.

I don't pretend to know why Decosta actually turned us down, as you seem to, but I do know that if he wanted to work with Rex, he had the chance and turned it down already.

DeCosta has turned everyone down.  Nothing to do with Rex.  It's because he wants to stay in Baltimore and take over after Ozzy.

DeCosta has turned everyone down. Nothing to do with Rex. It's because he wants to stay in Baltimore and take over after Ozzy.

Yeah, that's been established.

Like I said, the other poster suggested Rex would lure Decosta here, and I was pointing out that Rex was here 2 years ago when Decosta turned us down . Meaning Rex wouldn't have helped get him... Do I really need to spell this out for you in every response?

Yeah, that's been established.

Like I said, the other poster suggested Rex would lure Decosta here, and I was pointing out that Rex was here 2 years ago when Decosta turned us down . Meaning Rex wouldn't have helped get him... Do I really need to spell this out for you in every response?

I don't know why you're concluding that.  No single factor is going to lure DeCosta from Baltimore.  You think he's going to go to a team just because he likes the coach?  Give me a break.  He may have seen the coach as a positive and the meddling owner, sh*tty roster, and bad cap situation as negatives.  We just don't know.

Two years later, he'll get to pick his own coach, have a lot of salary cap space, and a high draft pick.  And he'll still turn us down.

You know what Woody should do?  Give DeCosta whatever he wants and back the **** out after that.

I don't know why you're concluding that. No single factor is going to lure DeCosta from Baltimore. You think he's going to go to a team just because he likes the coach? Give me a break. He may have seen the coach as a positive and the meddling owner, sh*tty roster, and bad cap situation as negatives. We just don't know.

Two years later, he'll get to pick his own coach, have a lot of salary cap space, and a high draft pick. And he'll still turn us down.

You know what Woody should do? Give DeCosta whatever he wants and back the **** out after that.

No, the OTHER guy implied Decosta would go to a team because he like the coach, specifically theJets if they had Rex still. I pointed out that he already passed on that, meaning it's unrealistic.

Dense.

Archived