Doug Marrone Opts Out - MERGED

JetsFanatic

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'll calm down when I'm good and ready. 

What does "if possible" mean? What circumstance is gonna arise that forces the Jets to hire a coach first? If Rapoport is using their words there, they're obviously leaving their options open to do exactly that. 

It means some of the favored candidates are in the playoffs, and it sounds to me like the Jets are leaving themselves open to a scenario where maybe they have to wait for a team to end their post-season run in order to hire, but they don't want that to mean they miss out on a potential coach hire that isn't in the playoffs. I think fans are reading way too much into this. 

If Kirchner is the GM they want, they'll have something in place to hire him after the Seahawks beat the Pats in the SB. In the meantime, they should be able to go hire the coach he approves of if that coach is available before he is. 

For instance, what if we want Kirchner and Bowles, and the Cards get eliminated this weekend, but the Seahawks go win the whole thing? Lock up Bowles, knowing it's cool with Kirchner, and lock up Kirchner as soon as the confetti gets released.

Unless I'm mistaken a GM candidate should be able to leave his team once the Jets

have decided to hire him.  Unlike a HC candidate they are not linked to how long their

team is in the playoffs.  So if we like Kirchner we should be able to put him in place

next week.  I would then assume we would wait until SEA is done in the playoffs then

we would bring in Quinn.  Personally I hope both Kirchner & Quinn hit home runs in

their interviews this weekend

Unless I'm mistaken a GM candidate should be able to leave his team once the Jets

have decided to hire him.  Unlike a HC candidate they are not linked to how long their

team is in the playoffs.  So if we like Kirchner we should be able to put him in place

next week.  I would then assume we would wait until SEA is done in the playoffs then

we would bring in Quinn.  Personally I hope both Kirchner & Quinn hit home runs in

Me too. 

I think the cart/horse concern by our fans is justified, given our history, but we have to hope that with Wolf and Casserly involved that no matter which order we hire them in, the adults in the room will mitigate any floundering. I don't think it matters how you order it IF you have everyone on the same page.

Pure speculation on my part but here's why I think "Marrone mania" was going

crazy in NY:

- With the change in ownership and Orton retiring, Marrone was scared about

his job security and the team's record next year

- So he and his agent (Sexton) asked for an extension 

- They get turned down so they take advantage of their opt out clause which

puts next year's salary in his pocket

- Once he's a free agent Sexton contacts Adam Schefter and the "Syracuse

Mafia" in the local media.  Leaking that the Jets are the front runners to

get Marrone

- Sexton does this to generate buzz for Marrone and to get the other teams

needing a coach to schedule interviews

I think this is exactly what happened but there are reports that the Bills were willing to give him an extension.

From a money standpoint, it is hard to argue with the logic of opting out. He gets the same salary this year if he is their coach or not. Not sure how the Bills agreed to that language.

Edit: Looks like it was a nice to the extension, despite those other reports:

Sources say what he specifically asked for was a two-year contract extension for himself, and extensions for his coaching staff so that the assistants were all on the same cycle. They were off kilter because he had to bring in several new coaches in 2014 after Mike Pettine took several of his guys to Cleveland last year.

Marrone's NFL record is 15-17, yet he was asking Pegula for a hefty raise, an additional two years at a cost of $8 million.

Pegula said no to it all.

That's what I thought, too, but I couldn't find any confirmation anywhere. 

And if that's the case, I still don't know why the Jets might have to hire a coach before a GM. 

So marrone does not like dealing with Buffalo media- hah wait till he gets Cimini and Mehta

He is friends with Cimini so he wouldn't have any problems there. Manish has already taken the other stance. So they would be good cop \ bad cop if Marrone is hired.

He is friends with Cimini so he wouldn't have any problems there. Manish has already taken the other stance. So they would be good cop bad cop if Marrone is hired.

Hopefully the NYDN will fire Mehta by noon today

Lord Hear our Prayer

It means some of the favored candidates are in the playoffs, and it sounds to me like the Jets are leaving themselves open to a scenario where maybe they have to wait for a team to end their post-season run in order to hire, but they don't want that to mean they miss out on a potential coach hire that isn't in the playoffs. I think fans are reading way too much into this. 

If Kirchner is the GM they want, they'll have something in place to hire him after the Seahawks beat the Pats in the SB. In the meantime, they should be able to go hire the coach he approves of if that coach is available before he is. 

For instance, what if we want Kirchner and Bowles, and the Cards get eliminated this weekend, but the Seahawks go win the whole thing? Lock up Bowles, knowing it's cool with Kirchner, and lock up Kirchner as soon as the confetti gets released.

Marrone seems like he has a lot of the Jets need...

but that whole - he has thin skin thing and part of the reason he's leaving is because the Buffalo media upset him and his family.

If this is the case he ABSOLUTELY should NOT take this job....He won't last two years and we'll be starting over again.

There is no way this job should be offered to him.

That's what I thought, too, but I couldn't find any confirmation anywhere. 

And if that's the case, I still don't know why the Jets might have to hire a coach before a GM. 

"Given the success of the franchise that I currently work for, I'd only be willing to make a move if you have one of the following coaches on board. Otherwise, I'd prefer to stay where I am, keep learning and thrive in the stability that we've developed here."

I dunno.

Like I said, I think you're reading too much into an insulating statement maybe by a life-long corporate type. Corporate America functions entirely around the idea of covering one's own ass. If he doesn't say maybe, and circumstances dictate he has to do something other than what he said more definitively, then he has to eat sh*t. Saying maybe gives them freedom to deal with curveballs. That's all there is to it, imo.

So Marrone, an offensive coach who had an offense almost as bad as the Jets with more talent. Made crazy timeout calls and could not score points. Their offense was basically a mirror of the jets terribleness. Where did they succeed? Defense which hired to two good coordinators and Marrone didn't have anything to do with it beyond being ok with hiring those guys. 

He sounds exactly like Rex...

So Marrone, an offensive coach who had an offense almost as bad as the Jets with more talent. Made crazy timeout calls and could not score points. Their offense was basically a mirror of the jets terribleness. Where did they succeed? Defense which hired to two good coordinators and Marrone didn't have anything to do with it beyond being ok with hiring those guys.

Right...his Bills offense looked "almost as bad" as the Jets in those two thumpings the Bills handed the famed WRECKS defense this season at MetLife and in Detroit..

What was it, about 6 TDS difference or more?

Doug Marrone sucks because he couldn't have the 1999 Rams offense with Kyle Orton and EJ Manuel throwing to a rookie Sammy Watkins and a bunch of scrubs like Robert Woods.

Brandon Tierney being interviewed on the FAN (why?) slams the Marrone idea because "he hasn't proven anything," then suggests that the Jets "need to" call Brian Kelly. Also, that he loved Rex because Rex wanted to win Super Bowls. Paid professional, everyone.

Brandon Tierney being interviewed on the FAN (why?) slams the Marrone idea because "he hasn't proven anything," then suggests that the Jets "need to" call Brian Kelly. Also, that he loved Rex because Rex wanted to win Super Bowls. Paid professional, everyone.

Another sports talk expert who I believe has been fired more times than Raider head coaches...who was the moron interviewing him...Super Jet Fan Benigno who hates the Jets more than Tom Brady, Bill Beliache and PatsFanTX combined?

LOL. Wow.. I guess Mangini, Herm, Parcells didn't want to win a SB. Wow. I'm guessing Begino & Evan agreed with him because those 2 together couldn't find their way out of a paper bag.

Speaking of Brian Kelly, I'm hearing that Marrone, Reich, or Kelly will be the next coach.  Yikes.

What happened In Buffalo?
Jamie Newberg National Recruiting Analyst

Doug Marrone wanted an additional two years for him and his Bills coaches but Terry Pegula said no. Here's what happened in Buffalo. Doug Marrone surprised many and opted out of his contract with Buffalo on Wednesday. The former Bills coach had a three-day window to exercise this option.

The clock on Marrone’s option began ticking right after Buffalo’s season-ending win against the New England Patriots. According to a source close to the situation, Marrone then met with Bills owner Terry Pegula on Sunday evening. All Marrone asked for was a two-year contract extension for he and his staff with no raise. Pegula said no. Marrone knew that Pegula was in the middle of conducting a search to bring someone new into the organization to run the franchise. It is believed that the new Bills owner is seriously talking with six or seven different candidates. Pegula is looking for a fresh face because of two things. First, he’s not a football guy. Pegula is a billionaire business man that bought the Buffalo Sabres nearly four years ago. Second, he wants to hire someone with no inside influence within the Bills organization. Marrone had two years left on his original deal and wanted to add an additional two. His staff was a little different, though. Former Bills defensive coordinator Mike Pettine left to take the Browns head coaching job one year ago and took the entire Buffalo defensive staff with him. In doing so, that left Marrone to hire a brand new coaching staff on that side of the ball.

In the NFL, most assistant coaches are on two-year deals. So now you have the entire offensive staff with contracts coming up and the defensive staff with a little more than one year left on their deals. It all boiled down to Marrone wanting his entire staff on the same two-year contractual cycle.

Buffalo, 9-7 in 2014, had their best season in years. Pegula bought the franchise last fall. With new ownership and an uncertain future because of the unknown of who would run the franchise, Marrone wanted contractual assurances for him and his staff. Despite being there for two years now, Marrone just wanted to hit the reset button from a contract standpoint because someone new is eventually going to be overseeing the franchise. Marrone’s agent, Jimmy Sexton, wrote the opt out language in his original contract with Buffalo in case of ownership change, which happened in September after the death of longtime owner Ralph Wilson. Marrone will still make his $4 million 2015 salary regardless of whether he gets another job.

In two seasons with the Bills, Marrone was 15-17.

Doug Marrone sucks because he couldn't have the 1999 Rams offense with Kyle Orton and EJ Manuel throwing to a rookie Sammy Watkins and a bunch of scrubs like Robert Woods.

I'm glad someone else acknowledges this.

When Fred Jackson, who only played part of the year, is the best player on your offense, guess what? You have worst "talent on your roster" than the beleaguered, conspired against press conference savant that is Rex Ryan.

Marrone was 9-7, Rex 4-12, with the same schedule.Nothing like Wrecks.

Brian Kelly. No interview with him yet. Quinn would be a good hire, but I don't think the Jets are that hot for him. I think he was more so Idzik's target.

Respectfully so what is your info based on? Jets haven't interviewed anyone you said it's looking like.

Archived