Doug Marrone Opts Out - MERGED

JetsFanatic

He's your first choice because he kicked Rex ass 3 out of 4 times or because you think he could develop a winning culture and possibly lead the team to a Superbowl? Because anything else besides that is not needed. 

He is my first choice because he can change the culture of a program.  Syracuse and Buffalo as exhibits "A" & "B".  The Rex reference was tongue 'n cheek.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I can hear you folks already after 2 years of Doug, why the @&@,^ did we fire Rex to get this piece of &@#% !!!!

Mean while, Rex is taking the Falcons to the NFC championship game and beyond. So typical Jets, fire one and bring in someone even worst.

Marrone has proven to be more of the "General"  while Rex is more the Drill Seargent. 

I can hear you folks already after 2 years of Doug, why the @&@,^ did we fire Rex to get this piece of &@#% !!!!

Mean while, Rex is taking the Falcons to the NFC championship game and beyond. So typical Jets, fire one and bring in someone even worst.

That's some solid gold comedy, right there.

That Bills team had every excuse to go into the tank coming into this season, and they pulled it together. That squad was halfway to Canada this summer, with a QB that everyone hated. Marrone undressed his GM on the practice field when the GM tried to force his hand with Manuel. Lots to like there, considering what he'll be facing with our own backwards franchise.

So far the only thing that I like is that he's a fellow Bronx native. I just never been impressed with him. To be fair I never thought that he was crap either. 

http://www.sportsmedia101.com/newyorkgiants/2013/01/08/new-buffalo-bills-coach-doug-marrone-considers-new-york-giants-tom-coughlin-a-mentor/

New Buffalo Bills Coach, Doug Marrone, Considers New York Giants’ Tom Coughlin a Mentor

January 8th, 2013 at 11:00 AM

By Dan Benton

The Buffalo Bills surprised many when they signed Syracuse's Doug Marrone to be their next head coach. There were seemingly better options available, and fan reaction was less than pleased, but Marrone has already received quite an endorsement from New York Giants head coach Tom Coughlin, whom Marrone considers a friend and mentor.

“He’s proven that he can coach in the modern era," Coughlin said. "[He] is a man who is very serious about his work. [He] shares the work ethic that the people of Western New York have long been known for. When he came to visit me – which was the year before last – he had specific questions he wanted to ask. He was very direct. He was recruiting in the area and he took the time out to visit with us despite the fact he was obviously on a mission.”

A lot of Marrone's coaching style is modeled after that of Tom Coughlin, and although his players aren't entirely familiar with the man, that has already created some expectations.

“It looks like a good hire from the outside looking in, and I’m definitely excited to get to know him and start working with him,” said center Eric Wood. “From what I’ve been reading, he considers one of his mentors Tom Coughlin. So that tells me we better be ready for some tough days ahead. But hard work will get us where we want to go."

Marrone won't be the first coach to go from the NCAA to the NFL and use a coaching style derived from watching Coughlin. Tampa Bay Buccaneers head coach Greg Schiano offered some praise for Coughlin and his coaching influence prior to their week two game, but that quickly went out the window when Schiano did something Coughlin would never do: he instructed his players to dive at the knees of the Giants during victory formation.

In addition to Coughlin, former Giants quarterback and current CBS analyst Phil Simms offered some encouraging words for Marrone.

“I know 25-25 [at Syracuse] does not sound like a great record, but that program was completely in the gutter when he went up there. He did a wonderful job,” Simms said.

Marrone and Coughlin will face off, job security and potential Super Bowl matchup pending, in 2015.

Also…

Be sure to like Giants 101 on Facebook, follow Giants 101 on Twitter & +1 Giants 101 on Google+

Tags: Buffalo, Buffalo Bills, Doug Marrone, Football, Greg Schiano, New York, New York Giants, NFL, Phil Simms, Tampa Bay, Tampa Bay Buccaneers, Tom Coughlin

Yeah, but we suck. Not a good barometer on how good that guy is.

Also beat Green Bay and Detroit. With Kyle Orton. And most of the year without Spiller or Jackson.

At immediate reaction, I didn't want him. Still not sure I do, but there are worse candidates and I doubt we are the only ones interested.

This is comforting, if only because there would be an allegedly decent GM prospect out there willing to take the job if Woody runs out a hires Marrone this weekend.

Sound like the Jets had the inside track on this one.  They may have spoken to Maccagnan and knew that Marrone was going to opt out of his contract ahead of time.  It just seems too perfect.  The interviews they are setting up might just be a smokescreen.  This is going to be interesting. 

With an undermanned squad he kicked some Pat tail Sunday in Foxboro, and further kept his team together enough to hammer Ryan's Jets in Detroit. Same idea as every other candidate, open mind, bring him in. He was also OL coach in the later stages of the Edwards Error here and the OL did get better. He did a decent job with Syracuse. Couldn't hurt to talk to him.

The pats played as though they didn't want to be there. No gronk, Brady for a half, etc.

My first reaction was blech!!!  But after doing research on Marrone's 
career this could be interesting:

- He's from NYC
- He's been an offensive coach (TE, OL, OC) for those who care
- He's been a Jet coach
- He's been an OC for Sean Payton
- He has HC experience
- He did a solid job with a second level college program (Syracuse)
- He improved a BUF team from year 1 to year 2
- He showed guts to bench his QB when he was playing poorly

Since he's only been in the league two years I don't have a feel
for his style but his teams seem to be tough.  He also showed 
excellent ability to rally his team during that snowstorm as
he kicked our butts all over Detroit.  I would love for him to
bring his defensive staff but I want no part of his offensive
staff.  Paul Hackett's son was his OC (Nate) and I didn't like
how all his pass plays were in a 10-15 yard box.  Finally if
Maccagnan is as tight with him as I was reading they would seem
to make a good GM/HC team

Also if it is Marrone, maybe the Jets already know who they want as the GM. Didn't Woody say the GM and the HC need to be on the same page. Marrone and the guys who's Casserly's favorite are Buds.

Woody also said they would be bringing in an experienced coach when he announced the firings.  It seemed weird to me that he would say that because at the time we didn't speak to any GMs and most of the names under consideration didn't have head coaching experience.  He also spoke about GM/Coach being aligned.  Seems like he might have had some inside information, then again we're speculating that Marrone is targetting the Jets when it might be one of the other teams.  Time will tell.

What I like about it is that he's not afraid to tell his superiors to go **** themselves if they try to tell him how to run his team. The man had the balls to bench Manuel.

Oh yeah, about Manuel, he wasn't exactly the next Peyton.

Nor was Mark Sanchez.  But both were 1st round picks with Manuel being the 1st QB off the board in 2013.  Marrone benched Manuel the instant he realized the kid didn't have it.  Rex never had those kinds of stones when it came to Mark, partly because he values friendships a bit too high in a business like this.  Sanchez was Rex's "Ride or die" QB long after everyone else realized Sanchez sucked.

Given that Rex's handling of the QB position was the biggest flaw in Rex's tenure here, it's a very salient point by Shane.  A rare one, but salient nonetheless. 

I don't think he opted out without knowing he had another job and if its us I hate the Jets. They'd be putting the cart before the horse again with no GM in place.

If it is the Jets I'm speculating that they already know who the GM is going to be (Maccagnan).  I think Casserly had inside information that this would be happening.  We'll see. 

My first reaction was blech!!!  But after doing research on Marrone's 

career this could be interesting:

- He's from NYC

- He's been an offensive coach (TE, OL, OC) for those who care

- He's been a Jet coach

- He's been an OC for Sean Payton

- He has HC experience

- He did a solid job with a second level college program (Syracuse)

- He improved a BUF team from year 1 to year 2

- He showed guts to bench his QB when he was playing poorly

Since he's only been in the league two years I don't have a feel

for his style but his teams seem to be tough.  He also showed 

excellent ability to rally his team during that snowstorm as

he kicked our butts all over Detroit.  I would love for him to

bring his defensive staff but I want no part of his offensive

staff.  Paul Hackett's son was his OC (Nate) and I didn't like

how all his pass plays were in a 10-15 yard box.  Finally if

Maccagnan is as tight with him as I was reading they would seem

to make a good GM/HC team

The thing that is funny to me, is if you stop that Resume after being OC for Saints, most fans would be all about him as a candidate. But since he didn't set the world on fire in a job that has been awful for 15 years, now he is less desirable. He is a solid candidate. Not saying they should just hand him the job, but he definitely worth an interview.

I wouldn't be surprised that, if Marrone is indeed the Jets next head coach, that they don't already have the GM in mind and are just working through the details of the deal.

The fact Marrone opted out tells me he has another gig set, and if he left the Bills to come to the Jets, I don't think he would do it without having an idea of who the GM would be, and vice versa.

Remember Casserley and Wolf have been working the lines for the past week or two.

For the record, I like Marrone. Followed him at Syracuse ... my daughter goes to Cuse, so I watched alot of their games his last 2 years there. I think he's done a damn good job with the Bills, who absolutely sucked before he got there. He's a no nonsense guy, which is exactly what the Jets need at this point in time, IMO.

There's no superstar HC available and Woody has only hired first timers before, so Marone is a viable option as a vet HC who isn't necessarily a retread.

Interesting to find out the background for why the Jets are high on him.

Well if they do hire Marrone, a couple of the GM candidates have connections to him

Yes. Brian Gaine was with the Jets FO when Marrone was a Jets coach. And Mike Mccagnan signed him to play in World Football League. Marrone was OC in NO when Rick Mueller was in their FO.

Good luck Doug wherever you are going. He is a Herbert H. Lehman grad just like myself and if he comes here

he will bring stability and we know he will bring toughness. Going to school here you had to be tough. He played for a renown high school coach in Carmine Colasanto and brings the Lehman Lion pride with him. This will be a great hire if indeed he is hired by the Jets. You never know, he might be the successor for Tom Coughlin and gets hired by the Giants as an assistant coach in waiting. But knowing about the GM connection I think it will be the Jets.

Archived