Fox Declines Interview Request with Jets, Or He Was Never Asked to Interview

JetsFanatic

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ex-Broncos coach John Fox would interview with Jets if asked, per source

16758175-mmmain.jpg
The Jets have not requested to speak with Broncos head coach John Fox. But Fox would be willing to listen if they did, according to a source. (Mark J. Rebilas | USA TODAY Sports)
11356604.pngBy Dom Cosentino | NJ Advance Media for NJ.com 

Email the author | Follow on Twitter 

on January 12, 2015 at 9:35 PM, updated January 12, 2015 at 9:51 PM

Reddit

It's officially the NFL's silly season.

ESPN's Adam Schefter reported Monday night that John Fox, who parted ways with the Broncos earlier in the day after four seasons as head coach, had turned down an interview request with the Jets for their vacant head coaching position.

A few things: The Jets have not, in fact, reached out to Fox to ask for an interview. And according to a person familiar with Fox's thinking who spoke on condition of anonymity because he or she was not authorized to talk publicly on the matter, Fox would be willing to talk if the Jets were to reach out to him. Which—once more, with feeling—they still haven't done. That person added that Fox intends to keep all of his options open. And Schefter, in a noble nod to transparency, later acknowledged he had been wrong.

Make sense?

In addition to the Jets and Broncos, the 49ers, Falcons, Bears, and Raiders are all still looking for a head coach. Fox, who coached the Panthers and the Broncos to the Super Bowl 10 years apart and has a record of 127-95 (including playoffs) in 13 seasons as an NFL head coach, figures to get plenty of interest.

The Jets have already interviewed six candidates for their vacant head coaching position. One of them, Cardinals defensive coordinator Todd Bowles, plans to interview for a second time. And a seventh candidate, Panthers defensive coordinator Sean McDermott, is slated to interview for the first time on Wednesday.

For a complete list of the Jets' candidates, click here.

http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2015/01/ex-broncos_coach_john_fox_would_interview_with_jet.html

Jets are the least desirable head coach vacancy out there.  Idiot owner who meddles, NY media hates, National Media hates you, play in same division as Tom Brady, horrible roster, no qb....

McCagnan better know wtf he's doing because we'd be lucky to get Reich or Marrone at this point.

Marrone would blow Woody if it meant becoming the Jets HC. Least desirable HC vacancy? How so? The new HC n GM aren't 'supposed' to come here and continue with the same roster. They are the ones that are supposed to build it. John Freaking Fox had his prized QB torched in the SB and then again in the last 3-4 wks. Not everyone gets to ride Manning to the playoffs.

No way Woody would pay that guy, I don't believe we asked him.

This has Tannenbaum written all over it. He's champaining to make this HC opening look like the worst job in pro sports. I have to give him credit, I just don't understand how the NFL isn't seeing that this is tampering. Letting this guy stay in his current job during an extremely important transitional time of the year before taking over a team is unacceptable.

This is kinda how I see it as well.

Since 2005:

Cowher (1st time head coach)

Dungy (retread)

Coughlin (retread)

Tomlin (1st time head coach)

Payton (1st time head coach)

McCarthy (1st time head coach)

Coughlin (retread)

Harbaugh (1st time head coach)

Carroll (retread* - never got fair shot in NFL, went to college and built a dynasty. Would be about the same as Jets hiring Saban now, which I'd sign up for)

Look at all those retreads over the last decade! Only way to win!

Considering that the only Superbowl winner in Jets history was a retread, and our 2nd best coach was also a retread (Parcells) I'd be inclined to say that in general retreads work out better for the Jets.

So Schefter jumps the gun and reports something from a trusted source that didn't have authorization to speak on Fox's behalf. The Jets push back, Schefter does his due diligence after the fact and admits his mistake and reports the truth. 

Anyone want to tell that slimy douchebag Mike Florio of PFT who took this as an opportunity to take yet another shot at the Jets on his rumor blog? 

Who does this guy think he is? Whatever, loser

he wants Bears job, accorsi is Bears consultant and has LONGGGGGGGG history w/Fox going back to Fox's DC days w/Giants.

elway appears to be a dick to work with rumors say...meddler..plus w/Manning gone now or 1 year from now, fox may be doing smart thing..

What the heck is going on with Quinn?

If he's a lock to be our new HC(as everyone is reporting) why in the he!! are we sticking our necks out, being made to look like CHUMPS!!

This certainly will not be endearing us to Quinn or Bowles>

If Quinn is not a sure thing, I get a Shanahan Jr. or a Marrone or somebody else who WANTS the job.

If we end up with everyone's leftover scraps I'll be pissed!

Thats the direction it appears to be going, I mean now we are interviewing Sean McDermott? If Atlanta hires Bowles which I think they will, s**t will go south fast for us. I think Atlanta made the smart my move by setting up a 2nd  interview with Teryl Austin on Thursday and will hire Bowles after his 2nd interview on Wednesday while Woody was asleep at the wheel. 

So Schefter jumps the gun and reports something from a trusted source that didn't have authorization to speak on Fox's behalf. The Jets push back, Schefter does his due diligence after the fact and admits his mistake and reports the truth.

Anyone want to tell that slimy douchebag Mike Florio of PFT who took this as an opportunity to take yet another shot at the Jets on his rumor blog?

As of this morning driving into work Those two morons Esiason and carton were still mocking the jets for being turned down by Fox, because Florio still had the headline up I guess...nice to know these paid professionals don't just read a headline and go with it.

No way Woody would pay that guy, I don't believe we asked him.

This has Tannenbaum written all over it. He's champaining to make this HC opening look like the worst job in pro sports. I have to give him credit, I just don't understand how the NFL isn't seeing that this is tampering. Letting this guy stay in his current job during an extremely important transitional time of the year before taking over a team is unacceptable.

Exactly, thats what he did with Quinn as soon as Tanny becomes the Fins VP of Operations we hear Quinn is no onger the frontrunner and we start interviewing the Sean McD's.

As of this morning driving into work Those two morons Esiason and carton were still mocking the jets for being turned down by Fox, because Florio still had the headline up I guess...nice to know these paid professionals don't just read a headline and go with it.

I cant stand Florio and his TMZ site any negative thing about the Jets is immediately posted on his site. I have never seen any positive post about the Jets on PFT.

I cant stand Florio and his TMZ site any negative thing about the Jets is immediately posted on his site. I have never seen any positive post about the Jets on PFT.

Yup, he still has the " Fox turns down interview request with Jets" headline on his front page 16 hours after it was reported to be completly inaccurate ...then to make it worse you get clowns like B and C reading it and reporting it as fact on air...I've developed such a disdain for the Jet coverage from mainstream media.

Yup, he still has the " Fox turns down interview request with Jets" headline on his front page 16 hours after it was reported to be completly inaccurate ...then to make it worse you get clowns like B and C reading it and reporting it as fact on air...I've developed such a disdain for the Jet coverage from mainstream media.

It's awful.

Can you name a few positives that the media can report about the Jets?

They don't cheat like the Patriots; They don't have a former prominent player on trial for muder; They don't have an owner making an inappropriate video with a young female days after his wife past away...

Can you name a few positives that the media can report about the Jets?

Sure, beating the Pats in the playoffs for one. No credit for anything positive that the Jets do on or off the field like when the 9 year old Jet fan was tackled in Clevland after a loss to the Jets. Woody offered to fly him and his family to NJ to sit in the box. There are many positive comments made about the Jets by other players and coaches that would never touch a page on PFT but any little negative stays on the page for days, so F off troll and get out of your parents basement and concentrate on your Patriots, oh and dont forget to take your Meds. I remember you from JI so save the schtick for someone who cares.

Archived