"he's going to reconfigure the scouting department" (MERGED)

Integrity28

I want Badway gone as much as the next guy. But I doubt Mcags releases ALL the scouts right away. Scouting for the 2015 draft began in August. It's really hard to shift gears at this stage because generally you'd want the same people going to the combines and workouts that watched these guys all fall season. But if he wants to clean house, then I'm all for it. Jets have been simply woeful in drafting (all rounds, including middle and later) for the longest time. It could be the most important change made this offseason to determine the speed by which this time becomes a genuine contender.

Is it possible to hire scouts who also have been scouting since August ?

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't understand the hate for Bradway. He is head of the scouting department and from what I understand delivered great scouting reports on players that rex and Tanny passed on, then Idzik. Bradway wanted Russell Wilson badly and Tannenbaum dismissed this. Bradway did NOT want Quinton Coples, but guess what? He also didn't like Stephen Hill, but again guess what? Seems he takes the blame for the guys our former GM's DID PICK and not the ones they didn't.

He was the GM for a number of years and got demoted, that's all you need to know.

maybe new scouting staff wont read fan emails pounding the table for Stephen Hill

stop being a weiner Rich. Its REAL Old schtick.

I never sent ONE  email about Hill, I only sent emails to Front Office about Russ Wilson.

I admit I thought Hill had a great chance to succeed but got caught up in underwear Olympics. Folks get stuff wrong (pats wont win division etc)

Hope all well, keep smiling :)

RIP TERRY BRADWAY

Well hiring someone who was a scout all season long has that side effect. It may be the only type of hire that would cause Bradway to go bye-bye before this upcoming draft. Let him pick Bradway's brain for a little bit, so he can cross these prospects off our list in advance, and then send him on his merry way now.

Well hiring someone who was a scout all season long has that side effect. It may be the only type of hire that would cause Bradway to go bye-bye before this upcoming draft. Let him pick Bradway's brain for a little bit, so he can cross these prospects off our list in advance, and then send him on his merry way now.

I heard Terry say on way out of building 'But really, it wasnt me, it was those other doofs"

stop being a weiner Rich. Its REAL Old schtick.

I never sent ONE  email about Hill, I only sent emails to Front Office about Russ Wilson.

I admit I thought Hill had a great chance to succeed but got caught up in underwear Olympics. Folks get stuff wrong (pats wont win division etc)

Hope all well, keep smiling :)

Don't you mean start smiling?

I heard Terry say on way out of building 'But really, it wasnt me, it was those other doofs"

I'm starting to believe less and less about the Russell Wilson story. In the end it could just be that he kind of liked him as a prospect, along with 100 other kids coming out that we didn't draft (80% of which suck).

Listening to an interview on WFAN right now, not even sure who is speaking, just turned it on and that's what he's talking about with MacCags. 

Oh, it's Jeff Darlington. He's basically getting into the weeds around how MacCags is going to re-invent the Jets commitment to scouting as a whole. Re-thinking everything. Re-evaluating how the resource scouting, the financial commitment to supporting them being out there.

I love what I'm hearing... and yes, it kind of sounds like Bradway is gone. HUZZAH!!!!

Now this…. THIS is the best news I've heard all day!

IMO the biggest problem we've had over the past 10 years is our drafting.  

Don't you mean start smiling?

Sperm, heading to meeting (will read later), would like your take on what I at least think 'can' be important on deciding who really is the brains 'sometimes',,based on my post:

SouthernJet, on 08 Jan 2015 - 3:27 PM, said:snapback.png

My concern w/Quinn is he is DC for a guy whose bones were made by being a Def coach,,Does Pete carrol really do all the def heavy lifting in Seatle? Sort of like Thurman wasnt REALLY the DC for Jets, Rex did it all... Sort of like when we hired DC mangini from Patriots,,was he REALLY the DC? uh , nope..

I cant recall who, but some old time GM used to say, hire the coordinator from successful team who is from opposite side of the ball as where the head coach's specialty is. Cause you 100% know he did it all , as opposed to being the waterboy for the HC and just carrying out his orders (Thurman etc).

Quinn is DC for a Defensive resume coach, so who knows how much carrol is putting in gameplans, calling schemes etc? 

Reich is OC for a Offensive resume coach, so who knows how much mcCoy is putting in gameplans, calling schemes etc? 

Bowles is a DC for a Offensive resume coach, so he is 100% in charge or Card Def. I assume

Kubiak/Cable/Marrone are or were HC's, so you look at that resume..BUT , Kubiak was OC for Offense oriented Shanahan before named a HC, cable was a Off coach for a Off HC in Kiffin and marrone was the OC for a offense coach in Sean peyton in NO,,

SO.. Bowles is ONLY candidate on list who is on opposite side of ball from his Head Coach!!!!!!!!!!!

Why is Lynn on list? He has never been a Coordinator. You want to promote to HC from position coach. OK, but where Jets are , if not successful will again add to the 'why Jets do that' litany we are famous for. (Herm was a DB coach for a Defensive genius, at time, Kiffin, and working for a Def HC, Dungy) I assume Herm was getting coffee at best in that building in tampa. Lynn has lasted 2 years as RB coach in his last 4 stops. Where there is smoke................

SO.. we hired Bowles, the ONLY candidate on list who made his bones on opposite side of ball from his Head Coach!!!!!!!!!!! Thats a GREAT thing folks!!!!!!!!!

I'm starting to believe less and less about the Russell Wilson story. In the end it could just be that he kind of liked him as a prospect, along with 100 other kids coming out that we didn't draft (80% of which suck).

Ya all i know is some beat writer said Tanny and terry got in shouting match (no one really said near fistfight) w/terry claiming Wilson was a great pick. I cant recall if beat writer said Terry said take in 2nd or move up in 3rd..

Translation: "Guys, I know you're not used to this but now that I'm here you guys will actually have to do your job and scout the college players for once. No more playing Madden all day and making things up in the last minute before you file your scouting reports."

Anyway, it's great to have a "scout" in charge of everything now instead of a numbers guy.

LOL, ya he takes it pretty hard when we lose. Fire em all!!!! 

He takes it hard when we win. Still have to love assmop. Tough to keep up that level of passion, get that excited that regularly, for that long. I know I've gotten on his nerves (and only his nerves I'm sure) over the years, but I'd be lying if I said I didn't really like the guy. Especially now that the MON stuff is over. Assmon phase was brutal, lol. 

I don't understand the hate for Bradway. He is head of the scouting department and from what I understand delivered great scouting reports on players that rex and Tanny passed on, then Idzik. Bradway wanted Russell Wilson badly and Tannenbaum dismissed this. Bradway did NOT want Quinton Coples, but guess what? He also didn't like Stephen Hill, but again guess what? Seems he takes the blame for the guys our former GM's DID PICK and not the ones they didn't.

He also traded away two first rd picks for Dewayne robertson. Oh and he traded away another first rd pick for Doug Jolly. He's the one constant in our ever changing carousel of GM's and coaches. There is plenty of reason  for the Bradway hate. 

I also heard he hates kittens. So… there's that. 

RIP TERRY BRADWAY

While the drafting has been really poor of late... it is impossible to know how much was his fault. If Bradway had his choice, the Jets quarterback would be Russell Wilson. Dumping Bradway is fine. Whoever didn't listen about drafting Wilson should be tarred and feathered.

While the drafting has been really poor of late... it is impossible to know how much was his fault. If Bradway had his choice, the Jets quarterback would be Russell Wilson. Dumping Bradway is fine. Whoever didn't listen about drafting Wilson should be tarred and feathered.

That was easier said than done.  Wilson was drafted 3rd round a couple picks before our 3rd rounder (Demaio davis)  The jets would have had to take him high in the 2nd round.  Even the Hawks by passed him and were afraid he was going to be taken ahead of them.  Overall the jets drafting has not been good enough and should be cleaned out at this time with the other changes.

If that whole planted story is even totally true. 

Also if he knew so much he should have been going bananas before they moronically extended and further locked us into Sanchez (who he also assuredly scouted to death), not after it was a done deal to not touch a QB in the first 2 rounds. No one gives a QB a big, 5 year extension to their top 5 draft pick QB, and then goes on to draft a QB (one with pre-draft height concerns) in the 2nd round.

Further, it's possible Tannenbaum would have taken him in round 3 had he lasted 2 picks later. This story of Bradway as the lone voice of reason for just this one pick sounds a bit too simple. For all we know, he may have similarly pounded his fists onto the table for us to move up to draft Stephen Hill in round 2, Kyle Wilson in round 1, and other regrettable draft picks where his GM did go with Bradway's gut. 

Not saying that isn't true but seems like a convenient time to criticize.  Just about every scout was replaced last off season so not sure how you can say minimal effort was put in.  I think Idzik just sucked at picking scouts and players.

Only two scouts were replaced, if I remember correctly.

theres a report on another site that says not only will all the scouts be fired, but the budget has increased for the guys the new GM wants to hire

Encouraging.  What is not encouraging is reading that the Jets scouts did not travel a lot.  Or that Bradway was a little lazy.  Good grief!

Sounds more like he's going to revamp the amount of $ that goes into scouting. Will probably keep some of our scouts here. 

I am sure scouts know other scouts.  If he feels a need to do a clean sweep that is unsettling.  I feel encouraged, though.

Correct.  But he was also on a staff without an impressive history.

I don't think I´m totally off if I call that bull. At least they have done a lot more via draft the last 4 years than what we've done. And you have to assume that he must have done a pretty good job since he got promoted. Maybe some players he liked ended up in other teams and did a good job. We don't know but they sure did.

I am not surprised to read about what a poor condition he thinks our current depd is in. The fact that he insisted on an increased budget to do a sufficient job speaks volumes imo about his ability within the profession.

He takes it hard when we win. Still have to love assmop. Tough to keep up that level of passion, get that excited that regularly, for that long. I know I've gotten on his nerves (and only his nerves I'm sure) over the years, but I'd be lying if I said I didn't really like the guy. Especially now that the MON stuff is over. Assmon phase was brutal, lol. 

someone must have had a patent on 'mon' and sued him ;)

Archived