Peterson on Cro: "That's all he talks about is freaking New York."

pointman

http://espn.go.com/blog/arizona-cardinals/post/_/id/12653/convincing-antonio-cromartie-to-stay-in-arizona-tough-endeavor-for-patrick-peterson

Convincing Antonio Cromartie to stay in Arizona tough for Patrick Peterson
February, 9, 2015
FEB 9
1:00
PM ET
By Josh Weinfuss | ESPN.com

TEMPE, Ariz. -- Arizona may have the sunshine and the warm weather but it doesn't have the bright lights of New York City. 

And Patrick Peterson may learn that the hard way. 

Peterson has been recruiting fellow cornerback and Pro Bowler Antonio Cromartie back to the desert for next season and beyond, but it may not be a fight he can win. 

"I'm definitely trying to keep him here," Peterson said. "It's going to be tough, especially with [former Arizona Cardinals defensive coordinator] Todd [bowles] being in New York and he loves [New York]. 

[+] Enlargecromartie_a_js_300x200.jpg
AP Photo/Rick ScuteriAntonio Cromartie just completed one of his best seasons since 2008.
"That's all he talks about is freaking New York. I'm definitely trying to get him to stay and we'll see what happens." 

Peterson has about a month before free agency begins on March 10 to convince Cromartie that re-signing with Arizona is a better prospect than bolting to the Jets or another team who may offer him more money. 

Cromartie signed a one-year contract worth $3.5 million in 2014. 

Returning to the Jets, for whom he played from 2010-2013, and the New York area, where he has a house, is enticing to the 30-year-old Cromartie, who'll turn 31 on April 15. 

"It's attractive," he said. "My house is there, so it's attractive. But if that doesn't happen, it doesn't happen. 

"At the end of the day, I got to make sure that my options are open and making sure that whatever decision I make, that it's related to my family and making sure we're making the right decision not only for me but also for them. It not only affects me, it affects them also with changing schools and for my kids and everything." 

But Cromartie has been steadfast this offseason in his commitment to not worrying about his playing future -- or at least, that's what his talking points have relayed. 

"Like I've always said, that's not really my concern," he said. "I let my play this past season speak for itself. If I'm valued to be here, then I'm valued to be here. If I'm not, I can go elsewhere. My biggest things is focusing on my family this offseason and going on from there. 

"When the time comes about [to] start talking about contracts, that time will come about. Right now, I'm not even worried about it." 

He was tied with 17 other defensive players for 10th in the NFL with four interceptions. Coming off a hip pointer injury in 2013 with the Jets, Cromartie had one of his best statistical seasons since 2008. It was capped by his fourth Pro Bowl appearance and third straight. 

Cromartie wasn't sure if becoming an NFL all-star would help his stock when free agency begins, but he's aware of what the major questions surrounding him come early March will be. 

"The biggest thing everybody is worried about is I'm turning 31 this offseason," Cromartie said. "I'm actually playing better than 22 year olds, 23 year olds, so it doesn't matter for me." 

Signing a one-year deal wasn't about proving himself, Cromartie said. 

It helped, however, that he put a relatively healthy season on tape while playing on a playoff-caliber team. But he thinks coaching staffs around the league already know what he's capable of when injuries aren't an issue. 

The question then becomes will they pay Cromartie what he feels he's worth. 

"Everybody else knows what I can do when I'm healthy," he said. "That's what it's really all about. I think it was just the point of getting back healthy and going back out and playing at a high level. 

"That's something that I figure I did this season. Not worried about anything else but that."

Someone in another thread brought up a good point. Bring back Cro and another vet as stop gap guys who can actually play while we see if the walking injury brothers (Milliner and Mcdougle) can stay on the field and to what level they can contribute. If they can't then we know we need more permanent replacements either through the draft or FA.

We just may have two guys on the team who can be the CB's for the foreseeable future but counting on them like we did this past season simply isn't worth it.

For what it's worth, I have zero confidence that Milliner will be able to make it as a full time starter with his injury history.

Don't get the Cro hate. Even when hurt the man plays in every game. Helps out with the young guys and plays with pride. Anyone who thinks Milliner or McDogle will play in even half the games I say don't hold your breath. Frankly I'm not sure Milliner even cares, but we know Cro wants to be here. Sign this beast!

It's too bad most Jets fans don't know what they want, like little kids. Whether it's Cro or Revis, you can't make Jets fans happy. When they're not here we bitch about them not being here. When they're here we bitch about them being here. What do you want? Cro was here, he was god awful. He's like 2 years older now, just as injury prone / banged up on a weekly basis, he still gets toasted regularly, he still spends more time falling on his face than he does covering receivers. (in before HE MADE THE PRO BOWL! SIGN THE MONSTER!"). Same with Revis. We bitch when he's here ("MEVI$!!!"), and we bitch when he's gone. No consistency among Jets fans. The only thing consistent is the bitching, whining, complaining.

If Cro comes back to be our #2 or #3 corner or better yet at FS (true centerfielder) I wouldn't mind it. But Mac better bring in a REAL upgrade at corner, whether we bring in Cro or not. Cro at FS, Pryor at SS in the box with Kareem Jackson and Marcus Williams on the outside playing corner, that would be a decent backfield with a lot of potential.

It's too bad most Jets fans don't know what they want, like little kids. Whether it's Cro or Revis, you can't make Jets fans happy. When they're not here we bitch about them not being here. When they're here we bitch about them being here. What do you want? Cro was here, he was god awful. He's like 2 years older now, just as injury prone / banged up on a weekly basis, he still gets toasted regularly, he still spends more time falling on his face than he does covering receivers. (in before HE MADE THE PRO BOWL! SIGN THE MONSTER!"). Same with Revis. We bitch when he's here ("MEVI$!!!"), and we bitch when he's gone. No consistency among Jets fans. The only thing consistent is the bitching, whining, complaining.

If Cro comes back to be our #2 or #3 corner or better yet at FS (true centerfielder) I wouldn't mind it. But Mac better bring in a REAL upgrade at corner, whether we bring in Cro or not. Cro at FS, Pryor at SS in the box with Kareem Jackson and Marcus Williams on the outside playing corner, that would be a decent backfield with a lot of potential.

Cromartie at FS? A safety sometimes the last defender that has to make a tackle, and you really trust Cromartie to do that. Cromartie Jmo going have trouble making transition to safety.

Cromartie had a very good year last year.

Signing Cromartie is a very tough choice the Jet's have to make. Cromartie doesn't have the best technique - relies more on his athletic ability . when your 31 years old that athletic ability can start to slip at anytime. when that happens just how effective will Cromartie be.( Jets give him more than a one year contact they can get burned).

Also another Cromartie fact that has followed him since San Diego , Cromartie has never put two great years back to back.( see great year he had when Revis was lost for the season, and followed that with a very bad season). Last year he had a great year, so the odds are he won't have one next year.

Enough already with Cro and his tackling. We get it, he's no Ronnie Lott but the man can take down receivers for crying out loud. And please stop this "he had a great year" crap. He sucked, he was always banged up, he got torched on a regular basis despite playing in a functional defense. Watch what Demaryius Thomas did to him, or Golden Tate. He looked just as bad as Darrin Walls did, he gave up just as many bigplays, maybe even more. Falls to the ground, stumbles over his own feet, gets flagged like crazy still. Watch the tape. The few plays he did make were absolutely horrible throws with no receiver anywhere near him, either that or just passes that were tipped into his chest.

Enough already with Cro and his tackling. We get it, he's no Ronnie Lott but the man can take down receivers for crying out loud. And please stop this "he had a great year" crap. He sucked, he was always banged up, he got torched on a regular basis despite playing in a functional defense. Watch what Demaryius Thomas did to him, or Golden Tate. He looked just as bad as Darrin Walls did, he gave up just as many bigplays, maybe even more. Falls to the ground, stumbles over his own feet, gets flagged like crazy still. Watch the tape. The few plays he did make were absolutely horrible throws with no receiver anywhere near him, either that or just passes that were tipped into his chest.

He looked pretty good in the playoff game if I remember correctly.

He looked pretty good in the playoff game if I remember correctly.

I don't think he made one decent play in that game. Plus the Panthers have by far the worst receiving corps in the NFL. He was covering Cotchery. Cotchery. In fact I actually remember Cotch making 2 key plays with Cro in coverage.

I don't think he made one decent play in that game. Plus the Panthers have by far the worst receiving corps in the NFL. He was covering Cotchery. Cotchery. In fact I actually remember Cotch making 2 key plays with Cro in coverage.

Not one decent play? How come I remember 1 play where he almost picked the ball off and then later in the game did pick the ball off.

The guy is 30+ years old, has a bad hip and can't make a tackle if his life depends on it.

Why do you guys want him back?

Your argument is a valid one. However, I'm not saying Cro is the long term solution at corner. For a 1 year or 2 year deal with low base salary and some incentives why not? Did you see our secondary this past season? I trust Cro way more than Mcdougle and milliner. Plus the guy had some success here and wants to come back, we don't hear that every day. Not to mention he had success in Bowles system last year and seems to like him.

Your argument is a valid one. However, I'm not saying Cro is the long term solution at corner. For a 1 year or 2 year deal with low base salary and some incentives why not? Did you see our secondary this past season? I trust Cro way more than Mcdougle and milliner. Plus the guy had some success here and wants to come back, we don't hear that every day. Not to mention he had success in Bowles system last year and seems to like him.

Your argument would make sense if the Jets were one CB away from making some noise. Unfortunately, they are not.

Why not sign a less expensive, younger CB in FA and focus on CB in in rounds 2-4 (there will be some good ones available) in the draft?

If Bowles is as good as advertised, he should be able to develop some young talent at the CB position.

There are much better options out there at CB for the Jets than an over-the-hill Cromartie.

I think we might already have one on the roster.  Dexter McDougle.  I say that with zero facts to back it up, I realize.

That being said, I welcome him back as our # 2 corner.  He'll likely come cheap and knows Bowles' system.  He basically spent his year in AZ rehabbing that hip so I'm not too worried about it.  Do I wish the guy used his long arms to be more physical with WR's at the line?  Absolutely.  But the skillset he does bring to the table is better than what we could get for the same price-tag.

Your argument would make sense if the Jets were one CB away from making some noise. Unfortunately, they are not.

Why not sign a less expensive, younger CB in FA and focus on CB in in rounds 2-4 (there will be some good ones available) in the draft?

If Bowles is as good as advertised, he should be able to develop some young talent at the CB position.

That sounds exactly like idziks plan.

Bowles blitzes more than Rex. Cro played for him last year. If Bowles wants him back I'm all for it.

That sounds exactly like idziks plan.

Bowles blitzes more than Rex. Cro played for him last year. If Bowles wants him back I'm all for it.

Yes you have to trust Bowles judgement on this- if he thinks Cro is worth it based on what he saw last year.

Do you trust Milliner and McDougle to be healthy? I don't. In that case those CB's from rounds 2-4 will be thrown to the wolves. Does it truly hurt the Jets to sign Cro for let's say 2/6? I'm all for drafting CB in the rounds you mentioned by the way. I'm sure there are some other intriguing CB's on the market like you mentioned so we'll see how it plays out. I just don't see how it hurts us.

Archived