Mayock's Positional Top 5.... Some Surprises!

32EBoozer

The video on the link with Jeremiah and Bucky Brooks is a good watch as well

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000470108/article/mike-mayocks-position-rankings-for-2015-nfl-draft

With the NFL Scouting Combine beginning on Feb. 17, Mike Mayock unveils the first of his position-by-position rankings for the 2015 NFL Draft.

NFL Scouting Combine

Dates: Feb. 17-23
TV: NFL Network and NFL Combine Live

Quarterback
1. Jameis Winston, Florida State
2. Marcus Mariota, Oregon
3. Bryce Petty, Baylor
4. Brett Hundley, UCLA
5. Garrett Grayson, Colorado State

Running back
1. Melvin Gordon, Wisconsin
2. Todd Gurley, Georgia
3. Ameer Abdullah, Nebraska
4. Duke Johnson, Miami (Fla.)
5. Tevin Coleman, Indiana

Wide receiver
1. Kevin White, West Virginia
2. Amari Cooper, Alabama
3. DeVante Parker, Louisville
4. Dorial Green-Beckham, Missouri
5. Devin Funchess, Michigan

Tight end
1. Maxx Williams, Minnesota
2. Clive Walford, Miami (Fla.)
3. Nick O'Leary, Florida State
4. Tyler Kroft, Rutgers
5. Ben Koyack, Notre Dame

Interior offensive linemen
1. Brandon Scherff, Iowa
2. Cameron Erving, Florida State
3. Laken Tomlinson, Duke
4. A.J. Cann, South Carolina
5. Tre' Jackson, Florida State

Offensive tackle
1. T.J. Clemmings, Pittsburgh
2. Andrus Peat, Stanford
3. La'el Collins, LSU
4. Ereck Flowers, Miami (Fla.)
5t. Cedric Ogbuehi, Texas A&M
5t. D.J. Humphries, Florida

Interior defensive linemen
1. Leonard Williams, USC
2. Danny Shelton, Washington
3. Malcom Brown, Texas
4. Arik Armstead, Oregon
5t. Jordan Phillips, Oklahoma
5t. Eddie Goldman, Florida State

Edge rusher
1. Dante Fowler, Jr., Florida
2. Randy Gregory, Nebraska
3. Shane Ray, Missouri
4. Vic Beasley, Clemson
5. Bud Dupree, Kentucky

Linebacker
1. Paul Dawson, TCU
2. Benardrick McKinney, Mississippi State
3. Denzel Perryman, Miami (Fla.)
4. Eric Kendricks, UCLA
5. Stephone Anthony, Clemson

Cornerback
1. Trae Waynes, Michigan State
2. Marcus Peters, Washington
3. Jalen Collins, LSU
4. P.J. Williams, Florida State
5. Kevin Johnson, Wake Forest

Safety
1. Landon Collins, Alabama
2. Shaq Thompson, Washington
3. Derron Smith, Fresno State
4. Jaquiski Tartt, Samford
5. Ibraheim Campbell, Northwestern

Everyone is projecting Gregory at our spot. So Fowler JR on this list is certainly the most interesting. 

I didn't mean from the mock draft, I meant from the positional top 5 lists. I honestly don't know which are surprises in those lists, and which aren't. I assumed since "some surprises" was in the thread title, there'd be some point of view on it. No biggie.

So, which are the surprises?

Did you read post #3? Cooper has been touted for months to be the best WR in the Draft and NFL.com Draft Tracker has him graded out as the #2 overall player in this draft. Shaq is generally listed as an OLB... Mayock has him as a safety. Edge rushers usually are drafted higher than Safeties......

Except for the Jets :bag:

Grade

Williams, Leonard DE 6'5" 300 USC     7.4     Cooper, Amari WR 6'1" 210 Alabama     7.0     Ray, Shane DE 6'3" 245 Missouri     6.8     Scherff, Brandon OT 6'5" 320 Iowa     6.7     Winston, Jameis QB 6'4" 230 Florida St.     6.5     Fowler, Jr., Dante OLB 6'3" 260 Florida     6.3     Mariota, Marcus QB 6'4" 219 Oregon     6.3     Shelton, Danny NT 6'2" 339 Washington     6.3     Gregory, Randy OLB 6'6" 240 Nebraska     6.3     Collins, Landon SS 6'0" 222 Alabama    

Did you read post #3? Cooper has been touted for months to be the best WR in the Draft and NFL.com Draft Tracker has him graded out as the #2 overall player in this draft. Shaq is generally listed as an OLB... Mayock has him as a safety. Edge rushers usually are drafted higher than Safeties......

Except for the Jets :bag:

Grade

Williams, Leonard DE 6'5" 300 USC     7.4     Cooper, Amari WR 6'1" 210 Alabama     7.0     Ray, Shane DE 6'3" 245 Missouri     6.8     Scherff, Brandon OT 6'5" 320 Iowa     6.7     Winston, Jameis QB 6'4" 230 Florida St.     6.5     Fowler, Jr., Dante OLB 6'3" 260 Florida     6.3     Mariota, Marcus QB 6'4" 219 Oregon     6.3     Shelton, Danny NT 6'2" 339 Washington     6.3     Gregory, Randy OLB 6'6" 240 Nebraska     6.3     Collins, Landon SS 6'0" 222 Alabama    

I totally missed that post, thanks.

I rely on people here for my crash course in what to think of the rookie crop each year. I don't have the bandwidth to follow college close enough to pretend to know what I'm talking about. By draft time I usually have an idea of what I want, but it's all a distillation of opinions from people I consider informed here and elsewhere on the web.

Leonard Williams will be the best player in this draft period IMO, positions aside he has the most talent, and closest to can't miss than any other player, if by some miracle he is there when the Jets pick 6th I don't know what the Fck they should do.

I doubt this would ever happen, him falling to 6th, but if he is available the Jets better trade back for a ransom if they don't select him themselves.

I watched Gregory a lot this year. Saw him live in Lincoln against RU and a bunch of other times on TV because I enjoyed watching Abdullah. Gregory was a one-man gang on defense when I saw him live, and he was certainly one of the best players on the field whenever he was out there, but I don't recall ever thinking this guy definitely looks like a top 5-6 pick.

Very interesting on Cooper.

What I've been reading is that, while everyone likes Cooper, they think that White is the better overall athlete by a lot. I've read comparisons to Julio Jones for him. Cooper is the guy that I like the best at 6 simply because I think he'll be 1. safe and 2. productive a la Victor Cruz.

I guess. I've been seeing a lot of people who are down on Ray, relative to Gregory and Fowler.

Not that I know sh*t about college ball but I heard someone talking on Sirius NFL radio about how Fowler has long arms, incredible knee bend & balance on the way to the QB & cat like quickness (another gear) when he tackles. When he gets his hands on you it's over, great tackler.

If he's there at 6 (might not be) Jets should be all over it. No matter who we choose to play QB if we can't pressure the opposing QB & get off the damn field on 3rd down it won't even matter.

Last year was frustrating as hell to watch.

Draft Fowler, sign Maxwell, Cro (if cheap), Clay from Miamj, CJ Spiller, Iupati.

Hopefully Milliner or McDougle can come back too.

Not that I know sh*t about college ball but I heard someone talking on Sirius NFL radio about how Fowler has long arms, incredible knee bend & balance on the way to the QB & cat like quickness (another gear) when he tackles. When he gets his hands on you it's over, great tackler.

If he's there at 6 (might not be) Jets should be all over it. No matter who we choose to play QB if we can't pressure the opposing QB & get off the damn field on 3rd down it won't even matter.

Last year was frustrating as hell to watch.

Draft Fowler, sign Maxwell, Cro (if cheap), Clay from Miamj, CJ Spiller, Iupati.

Hopefully Milliner or McDougle can come back too.

I hear you, but I'm still hoping they draft the guy who scores TDs. Cooper or White at 6, then one of the stud backs in the second. Unlike Rex, Bowles seems to have an ability to adjust to the strengths of his defensive personnel and doesn't need All-Pros at every position in order to appear "elite."

I guess. I've been seeing a lot of people who are down on Ray, relative to Gregory and Fowler.

I've actually been seeing the opposite. One article quoted some scout saying he thinks Ray is going to blow up the combine and could move into the top 3. I also just listened to an interview of his on NFL radio and was impressed with how well spoken and intelligent he came off. Teams will love that, as well as the nonstop relentless motor that everyone keeps saying he has. He also said that Sheldon Richardson is his good friend and mentor, so the jets will have a good source of intel on him.

So I'm intrigued at this point and look forward to seeing him at the combine.

I rely on people here for my crash course in what to think of the rookie crop each year. I don't have the bandwidth to follow college close enough to pretend to know what I'm talking about. By draft time I usually have an idea of what I want, but it's all a distillation of opinions from people I consider informed here and elsewhere on the web.

You'd do better throwing darts at a draft board.

I hear you, but I'm still hoping they draft the guy who scores TDs. Cooper or White at 6, then one of the stud backs in the second. Unlike Rex, Bowles seems to have an ability to adjust to the strengths of his defensive personnel and doesn't need All-Pros at every position in order to appear "elite."

I guess it will all depend on free agency.

I'm thinking since we took Decker last year & resigned Kerley, than drafted Amaro, you make complete sense drafting more offense instead of going into free agency for it.

Could you imagine coming out of the draft with White or Cooper @ 6, and Gurley is sitting for us in the 2nd round! Damn!

That could be the case if Jets go heavy on defense in free agency.

Jets have enough money to sign 2 stud defensive free agents & could easily sign 1 stud Olineman like Iupati.

Realistically I could see Maxwell & Brandon Graham. Cro could be had for less as a stopgap who knows Bowles system.

CJ Spiller who won't break the bank with Powell moving on. And Charles Clay, if we could get him I'd cut Cumberland who comes cheap, 1.9 million but even at that is overpaid.

Draft White, Gurley, go BPA (offense or defense) rest of the draft. (Maybe 3rd round QB, Bryce Petty maybe)

Free agent signings- Maxwell/Graham/Iupati (3 top signings), Cro/CJ Spiller/Clay (2nd tier FA signings).

I would be absolutely pumped if this came to fruition.

Obviously with drafting White & Gurley, Jets cut Harvin and now have their 4th round pick too.

Edge rusher Olb is the trickiest position to evaluate which is why teams end up with bums in the first rd like Melvin Ingram, Dion Jordan and Vernon Gholston. Even Clowney hasn't looked good so far.

Oh I'm not officially THAT high on Ray, that's just how I imagine he would be at OLB. Could easily have said Aaron Maybin.

Or Melvin Ingram or Dion Jordan or the thousand other pass rushers supposed draft gurus have been jizzing over last several years who sucked in the nfl.

You'd do better throwing darts at a draft board.

While I know this is true, I still enjoy watching the draft and rooting for us to take certain guys, only to be disappointed when we draft guys that elicit a "WTF?" and the guys I wanted inevitably get drafted by Baltimore, Pittsburgh and New England.

Archived