CBSSports.com's Rob Rang: No. 24 to Arizona
CBSSports.com's Pat Kirwan: No. 13 to New Orleans
NFL.com's Daniel Jeremiah: No. 29 to Indianapolis
NFL.com's Lance Zierlein: No. 22 to Pittsburgh
NFL.com's Charles Davis: No. 8 to Atlanta
NFL.com's Bucky Brooks: No. 8 to Atlanta
Bleacher Report's Matt Miller: No. 33 to Tennessee
Sports Illustrated's Chris Burke: No. 16 to Houston

The Past 3 years he's racked up 8, 13 and 12 sacks. No one has more in that span.

Based on those picks, it doesn't look like he's worthy of the slot the Jets pick in. They could trade back and get him, but have to find a willing dance partner.

I'm pretty sure all these guys will change their projection. I'm not a fan of combine warriors but Beasley main concern was size. He came to the combine and answered all those question weighing 246 and blowing away the competition in the bench press. The analysis at NFL.com had him going to the Falcons at 8. There's no reason why he can't be the number two defensive prospect behind Leonard Williams.

Based on those picks, it doesn't look like he's worthy of the slot the Jets pick in. They could trade back and get him, but have to find a willing dance partner.

Or he could be one of those Bruce Irvin types that front offices covet, but none of the talking derps in the media have a clue about.

I wouldn't put too much stock in the pre-draft evaluations. 

Or he could be one of those Bruce Irvin types that front offices covet, but none of the talking derps in the media have a clue about.

Von Miller pre-draft evaluation was the same. Was considered top 20 and then after the combine he "sky rocket" to a top 5 pick.

Speaking of Von Miller and Victor Beasley

Victor Beasley

• 6'3" Height
  • 32 1/2" Arm Length
  • 246LBS. Weight
  • 9 3/8" Hands

4.53 - 40 Time

35 reps - Bench Reps

41 inch - Vert

130 inch - Board Jump

6.91 sec - 3 Cones

4.15 sec - 20 yard shuttle

Von Miller

• 6'3" Height
  • 33 1/2" Arm Length
  • 246LBS. Weight
  • 9 1/4" Hands

4.53 - 40 Time

21 reps -  Bench Reps

37 inch - Vert

126 - Board Jump

6.70 - 3 cones

4.06 - 20 yard shuttle

Not saying he's going to be Miller. But the measurement are very intriguing.

I think 6 might be too high for Beasley. At least at the moment that's how it seems. I wouldn't have a problem with trading back, getting multiple picks and picking Beasley. 

Most have him going to the Falcons as their 4-3 LEO position. So if you want him you have to roll the dice @ 6.

The bottom line is that WHOEVER the pick is, that player MUST MATERIALLY CONTRIBUTE or be an EFFECTIVE 16 game starter to be validated by Jets fans. We have had too many recent draf picks (sans Shelly) that haven't contributed to the degree a 1st round pick should in the eyes of fans. Unless it's a QB that falls into our laps @ #6, the player picked HAS TO BE an immediate contributor.

If ot QB, then White, Peat, or Ray.

I love the crapshoot that is the NFL Draft

something doesn't add up. the knocks on him have been not strong enough and not big enough. He has issues against the run. Sometimes oversized tackles man handle him.

But he played at 222lbs, and now he's 240+???? and he benched 35 reps?? I don't get it. Those are like Joey Porter numbers. If you bench 35 reps you should be able to toss any offensive linemen around. he looks like a text book combine freak.

Either way, at #6 at least one of these guys will be there:  Ray, Fowler, Kevin White or Mariota. No way we take him over any of them.

For the record I want a draft and trade with Mariota to land us Foles.

Huh? The knock on him isn't that he's weak against the run or about strength in setting the edge. The only question was the conclusion that he wouldn't be able to do what he does in college in the NFL because of his size. In fact most state he plays bigger than his size. Also he's not a one hit wonder like Ray or Fowler as he's a guy who finish 3rd in the nation last year in sacks. The only thing he had to prove was can he maintain the same speed with added weight and he's done so. Last year at the deadline for underclassman to declare only Mariota was consider a 1st round prospects like Beasley out of the guys you mentioned. Like every pre-combine mock, it's pretty much meaningless until the process plays out.

That is exactly what I meant, that's exactly why the Combine is cancer to football. I really hope Bowles/Macc don't put any stock into these combine numbers or rank their board based on the combine.

Why isn't Beasley consider one of the best pass rushers base on his play? He's had 3 consecutive productive seasons. Was given a first round grade during last years evolution process in which none of his peers can say. It's not like we're discussing a player who had horrible production in college and went off at the combine and is all of a sudden considered a 1st rounder.

Why isn't Beasley consider one of the best pass rushers base on his play? He's had 3 consecutive productive seasons. Was given a first round grade during last years evolution process in which none of his peers can say. It's not like we're discussing a player who had horrible production in college and went off at the combine and is all of a sudden considered a 1st rounder.

That's not what I'm saying. He will be moved up the draft boards now, I guarantee you that. And it's not based on his play, it's based on him jumping high or doing bench reps. It's just moronic. Other guys will drop in the draft because of their slow 40 times or whatever. Even though their tape clearly shows you that they are more skilled than the workout warrios that moved up the draft boards. If Beasley was your guy going into the combine, his performance at the combine should not have moved him up or down your draft board even one spot. I hate when teams or whoever adjusts their draft board based on combine performances. It doesn't work.

I absolutely hate it when players move up in the draft due to the stupid combine. Some guys score fast but don't play fast because they just don't have the instincts .... Some guy Score strong but don't p[lay strong because they lack technique .

Keep in mind losing split seconds due to lack of instinct usually Takes a ton off the quickness factor. There really is no way to judge mental and physical quickness other than watching these guys play .

Sometimes I wonder if you ask the top scouts in the game what they feel about the combine what the answer would be or how it may change or not change their perspective

Vernon Gholston was a terrible football player and I felt the same way watching him in college ...I was praying the Jets would stay away .... How many players have better combine scores than him ?

Im not trying to knock your assessment of Beasley but you did point to his Combine numbers going to see if I can find some video of him actually playing the game and how quick he reacts to situational football

Dante. Fowler. Jr.

Im not really sold on him. What do you see that I should be looking for? 

I like Beasley when he rushes the passer. You know how some people talk about that "1st step"? You can't miss it with this guy. By the time the rest of the Dline is on their 2nd to 3rd step up the field, Beasley is more than halfway to the QB. The problem that I have with Beasley is that this is all I've seen. I haven't seen any coverage skills or run support. Seems like a 3rd down OLB, but a potentially great one at that. Not sure if you can invest a #6 pick into something like that, at the same time im not sure if you can pass on the best 1st step in college football and is a terror coming off the edge. I can see why people would consider Beasley at #6

As for Dante, I really dont know. 

This is a pretty strong Draft for OLB and WR. Maccagnan and Bowles have a lot of holes to fill and few picks. If they can do the trade down and grab an additional 2nd or 3rd,

I'd have no problem with that. If Marriota is there at #6 I don't see how you can let him slip by without trading the pick or drafting him outright.

We NEED to get the QB position fixed. Extending Mo and Sheldon doesn't do much for us if we can't get a Top 10 QB.

We've been waiting 46 FREAKING Years for a SB. The QB position is vital to changing that. Trade the pick for Foles or take Marriota if he's there. Geno will never be the answer.

If MacC or Bowles thinks Petty or Hundley is the answer.... then pick the WR or OLB but you better be damn sure Marriota is NOT the answer if you let him past #6 or do nothing with that pick on the trade front

Victor Beasley

• 6'3" Height
  • 32 1/2" Arm Length
  • 246LBS. Weight
  • 9 3/8"

4.53 - 40 Time

35 reps - Bench Reps

41 inch - Vert

130 inch - Board Jump

6.91 sec - 3 Cones

4.15 sec - 20 yard shuttle

0ap2000000249970.jpg?01AD=3ASqhAI5rqRuim

Pre Combine Projection

ESPN's Mel Kiper Jr.: No. 21 to Cincinnati

ESPN's Todd McShay: No. 21 to Cincinnati

CBSSports.com's Dane Brugler: No. 8 to Atlanta

CBSSports.com's Rob Rang: No. 24 to Arizona

CBSSports.com's Pat Kirwan: No. 13 to New Orleans

NFL.com's Daniel Jeremiah: No. 29 to Indianapolis

NFL.com's Lance Zierlein: No. 22 to Pittsburgh

NFL.com's Charles Davis: No. 8 to Atlanta

NFL.com's Bucky Brooks: No. 8 to Atlanta

Bleacher Report's Matt Miller: No. 33 to Tennessee

Sports Illustrated's Chris Burke: No. 16 to Houston

The Past 3 years he's racked up 8, 13 and 12 sacks. No one has more in that span.

Well Beasley sure as hell killed it at the combine.  He's going to be a good player but I doubt he'll be in the top ten selected.  A trade down several spots to pick up an extra 2nd rounderm or more would be fine by me if Mccags can find a willing partner.

i've really had enough of the defensive first round picks.

Yeah if Cooper, White or Scherff weren't potentially there'd say fine but how many years in a row do we have to go defense? This isn't 2012 when scrubs like Warmack or Eifert were the only offensive options available.

I absolutely hate it when players move up in the draft due to the stupid combine. Some guys score fast but don't play fast because they just don't have the instincts .... Some guy Score strong but don't p[lay strong because they lack technique .

Keep in mind losing split seconds due to lack of instinct usually Takes a ton off the quickness factor. There really is no way to judge mental and physical quickness other than watching these guys play .

Sometimes I wonder if you ask the top scouts in the game what they feel about the combine what the answer would be or how it may change or not change their perspective

Vernon Gholston was a terrible football player and I felt the same way watching him in college ...I was praying the Jets would stay away .... How many players have better combine scores than him ?

Im not trying to knock your assessment of Beasley but you did point to his Combine numbers going to see if I can find some video of him actually playing the game and how quick he reacts to situational football

Beasley is no Gholdston.  Have you seen him play?  Good pick for a team picking around slot #20.

Beasley is no Gholdston.  Have you seen him play?  Good pick for a team picking around slot #20.

Just watched some video of him and also watched Mayock's assessment of him and I agree with Mayock who showed he has some issue when engaged with bigger stronger tackles. Watching film of him beating inferior lineman means nothing. They say hes beefed up to 246 but its not easy to put on 26 pounds of muscle in such a short period unless your roiding out or he just put on fat . Either way no way this kid is the number 6 pick in the draft nor should he be. Probably late first early second IMHO

Archived