Best Thing Coming Out Of The Combine ...

KRL

In my book was that at least six legitimate first round picks
elevated themselves into the discussion for us at #6:

White WR
Parker WR
Scherff LT/G
Fowler OLB
Beasley OLB
Waynes CB

Add in the other players like Winston, Mariota, Williams and Cooper
and we shouldn't be caught in limbo like we were in 2008 when we
took Gholston

In my book was that at least six legitimate first round picks

elevated themselves into the discussion for us at #6:

White WR

Parker WR

Scherff LT/G

Fowler OLB

Beasley OLB

Waynes CB

Add in the other players like Winston, Mariota, Williams and Cooper

and we shouldn't be caught in limbo like we were in 2008 when we

took Gholston

Odd conclusion, since it was the combine that elevated Gholston "into the discussion for us at #6" in 2008. After his combine performance he solidified himself as the 6th out of 6 blue chip prospects in that draft. (That's what I and others were told by our draft-expert betters). Before that I think he was hovering around 10 slots lower (give or take, depending on who was doing the grading).

Odd conclusion, since it was the combine that elevated Gholston "into the discussion for us at #6" in 2008. After his combine performance he solidified himself as the 6th out of 6 blue chip prospects in that draft. (That's what I and others were told by our draft-expert betters). Before that I think he was hovering around 10 slots lower (give or take, depending on who was doing the grading).

Exactly.

Look you can't make a judgment because some player jumped out of the gym. If that was true Gholston would of been an all pro. What you do want to see here is if some really good prospects shows some speed or strength deficiencies. So you will add that up like Mike Mayock who I really do respect as a talent evaluator will do. Like the Safety Chris Hackett or the LB Paul Dawson who ran slow times but they are football players. Well you know who ran a 4:60? Richard Sherman who was much slower than our Milner. Who would you rather have? So go back to the tape and that is where you going to find your football player.    

No chance of that happening but I'd hire Bolt to bring the card to the table if we got that.

Then how about #12, #44 and a 2016 2nd round pick? Maybe their QB coach fell in love with him when he worked him out the last few weeks.

Of course, knowing our luck Browns make the trade with Wash.

If I can somehow come away from this draft with Scherff  and say Devin Smith, I wouldn't be sad. That's provided I can sign Worilds,  Ocho,  Cro and Kareem Jackson in free agency.  The way see it,  Smith over the top speed compliments Decker and Scherff improves us either at  RT or RG and is a potential replacement for Brick in a yr or 2 when his contract is up.

I am pretty sure it won't take more than 25/30 mil of what we have available to sign those 4 in free agency and improves us at OLBer, ILBer and CB.

Look you can't make a judgment because some player jumped out of the gym. If that was true Gholston would of been an all pro. What you do want to see here is if some really good prospects shows some speed or strength deficiencies. So you will add that up like Mike Mayock who I really do respect as a talent evaluator will do. Like the Safety Chris Hackett or the LB Paul Dawson who ran slow times but they are football players. Well you know who ran a 4:60? Richard Sherman who was much slower than our Milner. Who would you rather have? So go back to the tape and that is where you going to find your football player.    

I didn't think Gholston did so great at the combine.  He did what was expected.  He didn't wow me like Patrick Willis or some of the others. Sherman ran in the mid to low 4.5s.  I know it doesn't affect your point, but people will quote this and it will become "fact" like Jerry Rice's 4.7 (really in the 4.5s) or Fitzgerald's 4.7 (he didn't run).

I didn't think Gholston did so great at the combine.  He did what was expected.  He didn't wow me like Patrick Willis or some of the others. Sherman ran in the mid to low 4.5s.  I know it doesn't affect your point, but people will quote this and it will become "fact" like Jerry Rice's 4.7 (really in the 4.5s) or Fitzgerald's 4.7 (he didn't run).

You must now have watched. He was the called at the combine the workout warrior and his stock went right up.

You must now have watched. He was the called at the combine the workout warrior and his stock went right up.

Gholston was a top 10 pick before the combine.  The only thing the combine could do was move him down.  It didn't.  He was called the workout warrior because that is what he looked like.

#7 overall heading into the combine.

http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/sports/football/nfl/2008-02-19-top-64-players_N.htm

sperm weren't we hearing a lot about Gholston before the combine due to his 14 or so sacks his last year in college ? If I remember correctly he was always in the top 10 discussion ...No ?

I am usually a BPA guy, but I would be insanely pissed if we didn't draft a QB, WR or OLB at 6. 

this is a given. if mariota is there you take him. if not, you take fowler. if he isn't there, you take either white or cooper. odds are slim that neither of these 4 players wont be available. this should be the jets draft 1st round blue print.

this is a given. if mariota is there you take him. if not, you take fowler. if he isn't there, you take either white or cooper. odds are slim that neither of these 4 players wont be available. this should be the jets draft 1st round blue print.

Completely agree on the four choices, butI would list them in the below order - but would be happy with any one of those four ...

1) Mariotta

2) White

3) Cooper

4) Fowler

sperm weren't we hearing a lot about Gholston before the combine due to his 14 or so sacks his last year in college ? If I remember correctly he was always in the top 10 discussion ...No ?

The combine gave him that last surge. I remember him being around 15, give or take 5. That's not to say no one had him in the top 5-10 before the combine, but some also had him outside the top 20.

It wasn't just his super-duper number of sacks, but that he beat Jake Long 1 on 1 twice or something. 

He clearly moved up when everyone got a look at him in that tight muscle shirt, running a like a 4.6 or whatever at 260 lbs, and putting up the most reps on the bench press. 

All I remember (since I don't watch these guys until they get to the pro level) is being concerned that playing DE was what made him a top 10 pick and our first order of business was to make him play OLB. Not the 2 most dissimilar positions on the field, granted, and many become QB terrorizers after successfully making that switch. But if he was thought to be an elite DE then draft him to be a DE, because if he's merely 'ok' as an OLB then he won't have been worth the 6th pick in the draft.

We can take a little bit of solace in knowing he flopped as a DE also. Couldn't make 2 teams (and counting) even as a reserve/special teams player. 

One of the biggest all-time busts in the history of the draft (particularly since it became such a "science").

I am usually a BPA guy, but I would be insanely pissed if we didn't draft a QB, WR or OLB at 6. 

Same here. It seems there are too many playmaker talents at the top of the draft to go OL (particularly one who's no sure thing to translate specifically to left tackle. No matter how good of a guard prospect he is, or how good of a guard player he may become, if we get a friggin' guard at #6 it's a major waste of an opportunity).

Then how about #12, #44 and a 2016 2nd round pick? Maybe their QB coach fell in love with him when he worked him out the last few weeks.

Of course, knowing our luck Browns make the trade with Wash.

If the Browns are interested in trading up for Mariota, there's no doubt that they'll trade with Washington. They won't wait and see if the Jets want Mariota, and risk losing him. Also, Washington would love nothing more than to recoup some of the picks they gave up for RGIII. It's an obvious and natural trade. And that's if he gets past #3, where the Jaguars have already announced that they'll listen to offers. 

Archived