Bills trade for Vikings QB Matt Cassel

Morrissey

• Replies 395
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You do understand the contradictory terms offer your post, no?

If it were Jet fans crowing about those types of moves at this type of year, you would be sticking your fingers down their throat

I have equal hatred for the Jets, Bills and Jets.

Given what the Bills have done so far, they have all been pretty good moves to improve their team.

Time will tell.

The thing that's getting lost in the Cassel transaction is BUF "traded multiple draft picks"

for him.  He wasn't cut and on the street where all they had to do was throw $$$ at him.

They traded picks for a below average backup QB

FWIW, the value is no big deal.  Per rotoworld, they are swapping their fifth for a 6th this year and giving up a 7th next.  Hardly anything to be concerned about.  Not exactly a Tannenbaum-esque dumping of picks. It could end up being something else, but still.

Bills acquired QB Matt Cassel and a 2015 sixth-round pick from the Vikings in exchange for a 2015 fifth-round pick and 2016 seventh-round pick.

After swinging a blockbuster deal for LeSean McCoy on Tuesday, GM Doug Whaley is back at it again Wednesday. After losing out to the Browns for Josh McCown, the Bills turned their attention to the trade market. It's basically a salary dump by the Vikings, who save $4.75 million against the cap and further clear the quarterback room for Teddy Bridgewater. Cassel, 33 in May, appeared in 12 games (nine starts) for Minnesota the past two seasons, composing a 4-5 record with a 14:13 TD:INT ratio and 6.9 YPA average. He's nothing more than a game manager who will compete with E.J. Manuel for the starting

I'm more than confident the Jets don't win a single AFCE game. Maybe they sneak one from the Dolphags. Maybe.

JIF, dude...what is happening to you? I thought you would be more optimistic than this. We are worlds better at GM and HC than we were last year and I am sure we will make good pick ups to plug holes. 

I don't think the Cassel move for the bills moves the needle much. Shady is the acquisition that moves the needle. However, I hear Shady did not want to go to Buffalo...so we will see how that plays out. From a Jets perspective, we shouldn't be so negative until the pre-season plays out...that means FA and Draft. Then look at the re-tooled roster and opine but as of right now, we haven't addressed any holes and its premature to pass judgment. 

I am confident that we will address the holes and we will upgrade at CB and QB and possibly at RB. WR I think will be where we incrmentally see improvement. I think Harvin is a goner. 

LL

Rex is a bottom 5 HC in the NFL at best. He is literally destructive to the team's chance of success in player development game management in game adjustments, the roster, the offense, and has become VERY average and predictable as DE facto DC. buffalo will be last this year.

just remember this statement when the bills sweep the jets this year. its gonna happen, again

let me edit and re-phrase this. I believe this team can make huge strides this season if the right moves are made. however, if the jets new from office continues the trend that john "the true victim here" idzik followed, the jets don't stand a chance and will gets swept by the pats and the bills

The thing that's getting lost in the Cassel transaction is BUF "traded multiple draft picks"

for him.  He wasn't cut and on the street where all they had to do was throw $$$ at him.

They traded picks for a below average backup QB

LOL, so true.

But yeah, the Bills have made themselves "better". 

wtf football are you watching? Orton is significantly better and I don't even like Orton

Cassell has had multiple above average seasons as a full time starter.  Orton played awwight last year for a team 1 over 500.  I'm fairly certain with Sammy Watkins, McCoy and a revamped O-Line that Cassell will be able to build on the legacy Orton started in 14'.

LOL, so true.

But yeah, the Bills have made themselves "better". 

You're posts since last evening have been high comedy.  You sound like you're trying to convince yourself more than anything else.

Cassell has had multiple above average seasons as a full time starter. Orton played awwight last year for a team 1 over 500. I'm fairly certain with Sammy Watkins, McCoy and a revamped O-Line that Cassell will be able to build on the legacy Orton started in 14'.

Yeah that 2008 season with Moss and Welker is so relevant to a discussion about the 2015 season.

Wonderful, another nice trade for the Bills from our perspective.   

Cassel is a backup that is now entering his mid 30's with limited upside to begin with, and his stats weren't great either.  I'm not sure if whoever is running the show in Buffalo understands that just because they have the cap space doesn't mean they should trade picks away for guys who have very limited upside and are under contract.   Infact, how is Brian Hoyer worse than Cassel?  This seemed like a stupid move to make, especially when the team already is down a first round pick.   Cassel makes 4.1 million this year, which is right in line with good backups, so why not just sign a backup and keep the picks?  

So who do you want? Brady? Rodgers?

No to Hoyer! No to Mariota! No to Winston! No to Geno! No to Vick!

That leaves us with Jeremy Kerley as our QB heading into next year....

Kerley would be a better qb than Hoyer that's not even an exaggeration. The guy was lost once defenses got enough tape of him. He is a waste of time.

You're posts since last evening have been high comedy.  You sound like you're trying to convince yourself more than anything else.

By my count, the Bills have given up Kiko Alonso, a 5th and 7th round draft picks, in return for 2 bloated contracts from teams that were looking to make salary dump trades, and a 6th rounder. How have they improved?

They now have 1 running back to put up the same rushing stats that they had last year, as opposed to using a committee of guys to do it. 

They still have a worst QB situation than last year. 

They go into this years loaded draft class with almost no picks to make.

Lesean McCoy might make a minute difference for them, but Jackson/Spiller has been one of the better tandems over the past couple of years. I expect this move to be a wash, statistically. Cassel does nothing to make them better.

McCoy and Cassel contracts can't help the salary cap for the Bills, so it's got to impact the signings they'll be able to make.

Yeah, this improves them remarkably. 

Wonderful, another nice trade for the Bills from our perspective.

Cassel is a backup that is now entering his mid 30's with limited upside to begin with, and his stats weren't great either. I'm not sure if whoever is running the show in Buffalo understands that just because they have the cap space doesn't mean they should trade picks away for guys who have very limited upside and are under contract. Infact, how is Brian Hoyer worse than Cassel? This seemed like a stupid move to make, especially when the team already is down a first round pick. Cassel makes 4.1 million this year, which is right in line with good backups, so why not just sign a backup and keep the picks?

Sanchez is better than Cassell and would have cost 0 draft picks. Even Jake Locker, who I think is horrible, Jake f'n Locker is better than Cassell and doesn't cost picks.

Kiko Alonso was a good player for the bills and we still don't know if they are resigning Hughes. But they got McCoy and most casual nfl fans know who he is because of fantasy so they must be a Super Bowl contender right?

just remember this statement when the bills sweep the jets this year. its gonna happen, again

let me edit and re-phrase this. I believe this team can make huge strides this season if the right moves are made. however, if the jets new from office continues the trend that john "the true victim here" idzik followed, the jets don't stand a chance and will gets swept by the pats and the bills

Not a chance. Rex costs them 2 or more games easy, and we understand their defense. Plus turnovers killed us against the Bills an Rex's defense doesn't do them

By my count, the Bills have given up Kiko Alonso, a 5th and 7th round draft picks, in return for 2 bloated contracts from teams that were looking to make salary dump trades, and a 6th rounder. How have they improved?

They now have 1 running back to put up the same rushing stats that they had last year, as opposed to using a committee of guys to do it. 

They still have a worst QB situation than last year. 

They go into this years loaded draft class with almost no picks to make.

Lesean McCoy might make a minute difference for them, but Jackson/Spiller has been one of the better tandems over the past couple of years. I expect this move to be a wash, statistically. Cassel does nothing to make them better.

McCoy and Cassel contracts can't help the salary cap for the Bills, so it's got to impact the signings they'll be able to make.

Yeah, this improves them remarkably. 

Alonso is coming off an injury and is still rehabbing.  Cassel's contract may not be great, but it is as cheap as any QB with starting experience and better than the deal that McCown signed in Cleveland.  As for picks, sure they lost the Watkins pick and something for Bryce Brown, but they still have the exact same amount of picks that they had when this trade frenzy started.  They just swapped a fifth for a sixth.  The seventh is next year and since the general rule is that next year's picks are worth a round less than this year's, it is essentially valueless.

Archived