Marcus Gilchrist Has been signed for 4 years

The12th Man

I really think either Millner or MacDougal (he doesn't look Scottish) gets cut by the end of camp. Money is on the Scot.....

I don't expect either of them to be cut, but they both have a lot to prove. Milliner has shown flashes, but has been inconsistent--not to mention the injuries. McDougal has barely been able to see the field, so I don't think he'd be cut so soon. Although this regime has no loyalty to them, so you never know. If we end up drafting any DB, that'll be REALLY telling.

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't expect either of them to be cut, but they both have a lot to prove. Milliner has shown flashes, but has been inconsistent--not to mention the injuries. McDougal has barely been able to see the field, so I don't think he'd be cut so soon. Although this regime has no loyalty to them, so you never know. If we end up drafting any DB, that'll be REALLY telling.

I don't think MacDougal makes it. I think Milner and him will perform at a similar level in the preseason. Milner will be given the benefit of the doubt because of size and pedigree (Bama, Saban's, etc)

What I like about this is that clearly Mac and Bowles had a real plan coming into FA.  They went after specific players that fit specific roles to fit the scheme they want to implement...aka Skrine for slot, Gilcrhist as cover safety...and obviously Revis as the top cover corner.  I haven't felt for years like we really approached the off season with a plan...Tanny just trying to make headlines...and Idzik, well 'nuff said...no plan at all except hoarding cash.

For the first time in a long time, I feel like we have a future.

A real plan, and I was reading about how weak this draft is at DB, exactly where Mac attacked I'm FA, so they can focus on OLB, RB, WR where the strength of the draft is!

I don't think MacDougal makes it. I think Milner and him will perform at a similar level in the preseason. Milner will be given the benefit of the doubt because of size and pedigree (Bama, Saban's, etc)

I think if they preformed at a similar level, that they'd keep both and just dump Walls. Unless, of course, injuries are a concern, which in that case they'd keep Walls as insurance and the one with the highest ceiling between Milliner and McDougal. I wouldn't count out McDougal just yet, but then again, my grasp of the subtle nuances of football skill and technique is tenuous at best. Nevertheless, this training camp should be sooooo exciting.

For once, we won't be holding our breath, watching for who's going to step up because we need them to; we'll be watching for who simply can't make the cut because of superior competition. Nice.

Yeah, Landry should definitely be the odd man out, but why not keep all four of Gilchrist, Pryor, Allen, and Jarret? I think each has their own strengths, and that should be a pretty interesting battle to watch in camp. Besides, doesn't Bowles use a lot of DBs?

I think that's too many safeties on the roster, especially with the depth we're going to have at CB now.  Jarret besides that one game against Pittsburgh hasn't done much in the league, and he's really not that good at being either a cover guy or a tackling guy.  To me Allen fits the roster better because his skills sets match better with Gilchrist, so if there is an injury, he's the better suited player to have on the team.  

Revis/Cro/Skrine/Milliner are all but guaranteed to be on the roster (with maybe Milliner starting out on the PUP list if they want to make sure he's ready).  I think McDougle makes the team as well because apparently he was very impressive before getting hurt.  That leaves guys like Walls/Williams/Jarret looking outside. 

Last year, when they got down to 53 man rosters, the Cards had 4 CBs, and 4 safeties.  Last year, when the Texans broke the 53, they had 11 DBs, 5 safeties, and 6 CBs.  Assuming we meet in the middle and go with 9 or 10 since we don't know which outlook is going to be used:

Here they could have 5 CBs in Revis/Cro/Skrine/Milliner/McDougle/ and the winner of the Walls/Williams/Adams battle for No. 6.  And have 3 or 4 guys at safety, with Gilchrist/Pryor/Allen/ and maybe Jarret.  It would also depend on who they value more, one of Williams/Walls/Adams or Jarret and see if they shade things to carry more CBs than safeties.  

Silliness, McDougle is essentially coming off of his redshirt year, he's still a rookie, he becomes the #4 or 5 behind Milliner. 

I can see bowles wanting 6 CB's on the active roster, and if the roster goes up to 55, there is no doubt that will happen, maybe 7. 

In fact, because of the rumors of the roster going up to 55, makes me give praise to Mac and Bowles for thinking ahead on this.

Milliner may even have to start the year on PUP, achillies injuries are no joke for a CB to come back from, but Milliner is young enough that we can be patient with him.

Loving this off-season.

I think that's too many safeties on the roster, especially with the depth we're going to have at CB now.  Jarret besides that one game against Pittsburgh hasn't done much in the league, and he's really not that good at being either a cover guy or a tackling guy.  To me Allen fits the roster better because his skills sets match better with Gilchrist, so if there is an injury, he's the better suited player to have on the team.  

Revis/Cro/Skrine/Milliner are all but guaranteed to be on the roster (with maybe Milliner starting out on the PUP list if they want to make sure he's ready).  I think McDougle makes the team as well because apparently he was very impressive before getting hurt.  That leaves guys like Walls/Williams/Jarret looking outside. 

Last year, when they got down to 53 man rosters, the Cards had 4 CBs, and 4 safeties.  Last year, when the Texans broke the 53, they had 11 DBs, 5 safeties, and 6 CBs.  Assuming we meet in the middle and go with 9 or 10 since we don't know which outlook is going to be used:

Here they could have 5 CBs in Revis/Cro/Skrine/Milliner/McDougle/ and the winner of the Walls/Williams/Adams battle for No. 6.  And have 3 or 4 guys at safety, with Gilchrist/Pryor/Allen/ and maybe Jarret.  It would also depend on who they value more, one of Williams/Walls/Adams or Jarret and see if they shade things to carry more CBs than safeties.  

Good point.

And I forgot about Williams; he was starting to come along late in the season. Perhaps they'd think it better in the long run to keep a young CB with upside (Williams) over an average/above safety (JJ), especially if they think we already have to young and talented safeties (Pryor and Allen).

However it unfolds, this training camp is shaping up to be very competitive and very exciting for us fans.

If you hate rap like I hate rap then do your ears a favor and mute this and just watch

https://youtu.be/yfEYibnUGws

So his playmaking/takeaways numbers don't look great on paper, but it seems like he creates a lot of opportunities for his teammates. There's quite a few INTs that he wasn't directly credited for in that video based on his stat line. I'm fine with him contributing to team takeaways versus his own stat line. Seems like a solid addition.

Rex Ryan be like...

wtf-is-this-shit_640_417_s_c1_center_top

Ha! Yeah.

Even though I didn't think Idzik got a terribly fair shake here, I'm waaaaaay more than content with him being fired. I'm pretty damn impressed with McCags right now! :biggrin:

Damn, I hope this feeling lasts.

Good point.

And I forgot about Williams; he was starting to come along late in the season. Perhaps they'd think it better in the long run to keep a young CB with upside (Williams) over an average/above safety (JJ), especially if they think we already have to young and talented safeties (Pryor and Allen).

However it unfolds, this training camp is shaping up to be very competitive and very exciting for us fans.

Yeah, I think push comes to shove, they would want the extra corner over the safety, especially given the injury histories MIlliner/McDougle, the age of Revis/Cro.  I figure they would want as many CBs as possible for insurance.  And with how much man coverage we play, we might see a single high safety of Gilchrist, and maybe have Pryor play more towards the line of scrimmage.  This would also explain why we may not be targeting LBs as much, because they figure Pryor can act as one from time to time.  And I believe Allen did the same thing in college.  

I think we're pissing money away on players we don't need. Jmo

I am not so sure of that. All of the contracts so far have been pay as you go, with no front loading or huge signing bonuses so we are not really affecting future caps. In fact, they are using roster bonuses this year so cap hits go down next year. We should still have tons of cap room for next year even if it does not go up much. I think Skrine and Gilchrist are long term signings with Cro and Revis being 2-3 year signings, though if you read about the Revis signing, Sean Gilbert said they would honor his contract and after next year Revis' cap hit goes down.

Truth is, that we may very well have the most expensive secondary in the NFL, but it is not costing us flexibility in the rest of the team, and not hurting us long term. It is really quite brilliant what we have done. If Williams can continue where he left off, and if Milliner or McDougle can recover from injuries we can have an embarrassment of riches at secondary and not only have short term help but long term developmental players as well.

Bowles defense is not Rex's. We will likely play nickel and dime more than base 3-4, and we have the versatility to not concede the run in those packages. I suspect we may see Pryor playing a hybrid LB/SS role with Gilchrist in a hybrid SS/FS role and Skrine as slot/FS. That will be difficult to account for offensively, Revis and Cro lock down the outside, we can get penetration up the middle, and we have 3 players that can cover the interior playmakers/blitz and come up and stop the run. OLB might not be that important of a position in the scheme I envision we play. 

Draft will likely be hugely offense oriented. I still think we are focused on Mariota. Our staff was all over him at the pro day today. Not sure he is better than what we have, but new regime/new QB, it is how Rex started as well.

Chargers fans seem to think this guy stinks, not sure what think

It's not about how he played in their scheme - last year - it's about what can he do in our scheme - in the future. He's a true centerfielder, he has all the skills to be very effective in coverage. If used right (which I think Bowles will do) I think he will be a rock solid safety for us that will improve our pass defense by a lot. The knock on him I guess is that he's not exactly a ball hawk...

What a wonderful few days. I think they're done spending. Time to focus on the draft now. If the Jets can hit home runs in the draft we might be on to something. OLB,RB,QB,MLB. Let's get it.

Good insight into our other needs. I would love to see them grab Jamison Crowder in Round 4.  We need a wr to stretch the field and a guy like this would compliment Decker and Marshall very nicely.   

Then your not paying attention to the details . Almost all the big contracts we made are front loaded deals . Players get most of there money the first 2 years. after that the cap hits become more than reasonable and can be cut if needed with any real repercussions if needed.

With a rising cap over the next few years eventfully hitting a 180 million . The jets will be fine long term as long they continue to manage things creatively .

I think you have no clue what you're talking about. I think Bowles has a plan. I think nobody in here knows what that plan is, except for him, the players and the coaching staff + front office. In your world we're spending money on players we don't need, but in Bowles' it's the opposite. Have some faith in the man for crying out loud and stop complaining all the time.

Then your not paying attention to the details . Almost all the big contracts we made are front loaded deals . Players get most of there money the first 2 years. after that the cap hits become more than reasonable and can be cut if needed with any real repercussions if needed.

With a rising cap over the next few years eventfully hitting a 180 million . The jets will be fine long term as long they continue to manage things creatively .

The cap will continue to rise, but not at the rate of the last few years., The 2014 rise was NBC kicking in and this years 2015 increase was Direct tv going from 1 to 1.4 bill. That 200 mill  (PLAYERS 50%) increase was divided up by the 32 clubs about 6.25 mill of the 10 mill cap increase was that, same with NBC the year before. But unless England explodes and American football becomes like Basketball viewership is here the big increases wont be seen, you can expect about a 4-5 mill increase yearly from now on.  And the increased rosters 55 active and 10 PS come out of the cap on the players side.

Agreed. Skrine seems redundant. I have high hopes for Milliner and if he performs as expected, we'll have to trade away a CB or two. I liked Walls as a backup as well.

Skrine plays the slot guy, that is what he is good at, when forced to go outside is when he gets exposed. He is not redundant at all. 

Archived