What's left in free agency for jets

njjetman

A week of furious activity for the New York Jets was probably completed last night, as the Jets finalized a deal with former Chargers safety Marcus Gilchrist. They now have an estimated $10-12 million of cap space left, per Jason at OverTheCap.com. By my estimation, the Jets entered the off-season with these holes to fill…

The Jets still need a blocking tight end, another wide receiver for depth purposes, an offensive guard, and defensive lineman to replace Kenrick Ellis and/or Legar Douzable, if one or both aren’t retained. I think the Jets will look to address OLB and/or OG in the first round of the draft, so I will not include those two positions in my breakdown. Here are the best remaining options to fill the other needs:

1. Leon Washington, RB

Before Jet fans get nostalgic, suggesting Leon Washington as a potential signing isn’t a move for nostalgia’s sake. The Jets need help on special teams, and Washington averaged 24 yards per kick return last year for the Titans. Washington also had 22 catches on 30 targets out of the backfield and would be another weapon for Chan Gailey to use. Washington also has a connection with new QB Coach Kevin Patullo, as both were with the Titans last year. Washington could be a under the radar signing by Mike Maccagnan.

2. CJ Mosley, DT

There are rumors about the Jets interested in former Dolphin Randy Starks but I think Mosley would be an adequate low cost replacement for Kenrick Ellis or Legar Douzable should they depart. Mosley played for the Jets for three seasons as a rotational defensive lineman, and his role in this defense would be similar. Mosley is good at stopping the run and can generate pressure up the A gap, and wouldn’t cost the Jets a lot as he has not really generated a lot of interest from other teams.

3. Cecil Shorts, WR

The Jets traded for Brandon Marshall and now boast their best wide receiver tandem in six seasons. Let me put this into perspective for you: the Jets haven’t had a 1,000 yard receiver in seven full seasons and they added a WR who had seven straight 1,000 yard seasons to pair with a WR who was under 40 yards away from 1,000 despite arguably the worst quarterback situation in the entire league. They have an underrated slot wide receiver in Jeremy Kerley, but there are reports that they are interested in former Jaguars wide receiver Cecil Shorts. Shorts has been the Jaguars best wide receiver the last 3 seasons. He has struggled a little with health, missing at least two games each year in the league, but he has proven to be a good wide receiver with the ability to stretch the field. With Geno Smith likely to be the opening week starter, you’d like to have a player than can potentially take the top off of a defense with Marshall and Decker being keyed on underneath. Shorts could be that guy.

4. Jermaine Gresham, TE

62 catches for 460 yards and 5 touchdowns as the blocking tight end to the Bengals Tyler Eifert, Gresham is an underrated blocker and a good red zone target. He would cover up alot of deficiencies in Breno’s game, and allow Gailey to move Amaro around the formation. The Jets will still run the ball, and Gresham allows you to do that while flanking Amaro out wide.

I'm still mad at Leon and his stupid wife.

I'd like Shorts.

Jermaine Gresham has to be better than Cumberland but I'm not sure what his asking price will be, probably more than the 1.8 mill Cumby's getting.

I hated his wife! All she did was talk sh*t.

Leon Washington?  Cmon man he's washed up, this aint Idziot running the show now.  They need to get Duke Johnson. He just might fall. And Jamison Crowder. Another offensive sparkplug who could be passed over and be there late.  

We have 4 picks coming up & we can solve all of our problems left right there.

#6 Cooper - White- Fowler- Beasley

Any of those 4

If we take Cooper or White , I put Kerley on the trading block (decent contract/solid player) Philly good place for him.

If we take Fowler or Beasley, I cut either Babin or Pace

#37 if we took a WR @ 6 I'm looking for an ILB to eventually replace Harris

If we took Fowler or Beasley @ 6 I'm praying that DGB scared teams off & he's sitting there. DGB, Decker, Marshall, Kerley, Amaro would be unbelievable. No team has enough big corners to handle that group.

3rd round- Best RB available or if we took Fowler/Beasley & ILB @ 37 I'm looking at a player like Dorsett. Quick WR & can step right into special teams as a KR.

I think if we can sign Cecil Shorts or Stevie Johnson for the vet minimum you pull the trigger, if not they should make a push to extend Wilkerson and wait for the draft. Either way they go about it we are ready to compete in the division this season.

I think if we can sign Cecil Shorts or Stevie Johnson for the vet minimum you pull the trigger, if not they should make a push to extend Wilkerson and wait for the draft. Either way they go about it we are ready to compete in the division this season.

I really hope we get a shot a Cooper at 6. Guy is like a Porsche, so smooth and quick. I know there's some good OLB's available as well. The new regime sure has us in a good position going into the draft.

I like Gresham but don't know what he is asking for or if the Jets have even expressed interest.  Wow, imagine we go Beasley, Fowler or Dupree @ 6, and DGB @ 37 and then follow that up with Duke Johnson @ 3?! BPA at 4 and 7.   

I don't think they'd get Stevie Johnson for vet min. but he'd be a great addition.  Would love to see them bring him in.

Is that figure minus the rookie $$ ? I know we need to have some wiggle room for in season needs.

I agree.  If you set aside $4 million for rookies and $5 million for in season veterans, you would like to have basically $10 million at this point.  The over the cap.com number is 19.6 million, but doesn't include cromartie ($8 million) or Gilchrist ($ 5 million ?  roughly ?)

I think the jets are at about $6.6 million

they are at the point where for every guy we sign, another guy is a dead man walking until after the draft

I'm talking to you calvin pace

A week of furious activity for the New York Jets was probably completed last night, as the Jets finalized a deal with former Chargers safety Marcus Gilchrist. They now have an estimated $10-12 million of cap space left, per Jason at OverTheCap.com. By my estimation, the Jets entered the off-season with these holes to fill…

The Jets still need a blocking tight end, another wide receiver for depth purposes, an offensive guard, and defensive lineman to replace Kenrick Ellis and/or Legar Douzable, if one or both aren’t retained. I think the Jets will look to address OLB and/or OG in the first round of the draft, so I will not include those two positions in my breakdown. Here are the best remaining options to fill the other needs:

1. Leon Washington, RB

Before Jet fans get nostalgic, suggesting Leon Washington as a potential signing isn’t a move for nostalgia’s sake. The Jets need help on special teams, and Washington averaged 24 yards per kick return last year for the Titans. Washington also had 22 catches on 30 targets out of the backfield and would be another weapon for Chan Gailey to use. Washington also has a connection with new QB Coach Kevin Patullo, as both were with the Titans last year. Washington could be a under the radar signing by Mike Maccagnan.

2. CJ Mosley, DT

There are rumors about the Jets interested in former Dolphin Randy Starks but I think Mosley would be an adequate low cost replacement for Kenrick Ellis or Legar Douzable should they depart. Mosley played for the Jets for three seasons as a rotational defensive lineman, and his role in this defense would be similar. Mosley is good at stopping the run and can generate pressure up the A gap, and wouldn’t cost the Jets a lot as he has not really generated a lot of interest from other teams.

3. Cecil Shorts, WR

The Jets traded for Brandon Marshall and now boast their best wide receiver tandem in six seasons. Let me put this into perspective for you: the Jets haven’t had a 1,000 yard receiver in seven full seasons and they added a WR who had seven straight 1,000 yard seasons to pair with a WR who was under 40 yards away from 1,000 despite arguably the worst quarterback situation in the entire league. They have an underrated slot wide receiver in Jeremy Kerley, but there are reports that they are interested in former Jaguars wide receiver Cecil Shorts. Shorts has been the Jaguars best wide receiver the last 3 seasons. He has struggled a little with health, missing at least two games each year in the league, but he has proven to be a good wide receiver with the ability to stretch the field. With Geno Smith likely to be the opening week starter, you’d like to have a player than can potentially take the top off of a defense with Marshall and Decker being keyed on underneath. Shorts could be that guy.

4. Jermaine Gresham, TE

62 catches for 460 yards and 5 touchdowns as the blocking tight end to the Bengals Tyler Eifert, Gresham is an underrated blocker and a good red zone target. He would cover up alot of deficiencies in Breno’s game, and allow Gailey to move Amaro around the formation. The Jets will still run the ball, and Gresham allows you to do that while flanking Amaro out wide.

Do you know the Jets signed a guard in free agency and drafted Dakota Dozier last year. Guard will not go early in the draft. They will look at Tackle more than guard and looking at the Jets today obviously QB is number 1 priority and Tackle, OLB with a speed rushing mentality (Shane Ray) and back up running back should be addressed early.  

Brees. What would it take to get Brees? I'd give them a #3 but they would have to take Geno also or no deal. 

brees' cap number is $26,000,000

the jets would have to cut revis or 5 starters to make room for him

and the saints aren't rebuilding, they just traded away a bloated contract.  they are reloading around brees, he was never available

brees' cap number is $26,000,000

the jets would have to cut revis or 5 starters to make room for him

and the saints aren't rebuilding, they just traded away a bloated contract.  they are reloading around brees, he was never available

What's he cap number if traded? Although I doubt it happens.

What's he cap number if traded? Although I doubt it happens.

not my specialty, but really expensive !!!   I'm not sure of the market for HOF SB winning QB's but it's probably 4 players and 3 picks, somehting like that

hard to see how you do that for a guy who is 36 years old.  

Archived