What is the Jets strongest position? Weakest?

Maxman

Last year QB and CB seemed to be the two biggest positions of need.  

After Revis, Skrine and Cro is CB the strongest position on the team now? When you add in Gilchrist is the secondary actually the strongest position?  I am going to go DLine myself. That unit is just sick. But you could make the case for either unit in my opinion.

Weakest? That is still QB. Going to stay that way until proven otherwise. 

But with improvements at WR, I am less worried there.  So the weakest for me are (in this order):

QB

OLine

LB

The draft could take care of some of the linebacker worries.   And the QB could elevate the play of the OLine possibly.

So basically we are where we have been the last 40 years. A QB away. :)

Leaving yhe obvious QB out, I've been frustrated w LB play for awhile.

David Harris Is too damn slow and no pass rush for two years (minimum) now. I pray they take fowler, Dupree, or Beasley @ 6. A pass rush from our OLB would make us a tough, tough unit.

The new secondary is exciting and Bowles success w Cards only enhances that, but I'm worries about the Louisville slugger. Hope he shows improvement.

Strongest: Secondary

Revis, Cro, Skrine, Milliner, McDougal, Williams, Gilchrist, Allen, Pryor, Jarrett. We have established vets, a star, young up and comers, the whole 9. I didn't pick DLine because we don't know for sure if Snacks will be back yet (probably will) but we also lost solid depth with Ellis and looks like Douzable too.

Weakest: You can go QB or OLB.....either would be sufficient to be the choice. I'll say QB since the importance of the position is far superior to OLBer....and I guess you could add OLBer to the LBer group as a whole if you wanted which doesn't make it much stronger (Harris is very solid and Davis is young and talented) but none the less it does make it a little more solid of a position as a whole.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

Revis is the only great player in the secondary so I'm not sure why anyone would consider them the strongest.  Cro, Skrine and Gilchrist are not very good...so they're in wait and see mode before I start claiming them to be some great secondary.

DLine is clearly the best.  Really isnt a conversation.

Crazy to say, but with just the addition of Marshall, WR is probably 2nd. Marshall, Decker, Kerley - that's pretty damn good.  And if Cooper or White are the pick in the draft.  Its head and shoulders the 2nd the best unit on the team...and if Amaro pans out...could be a strength.  So weird.

OL is good enough.

QB is the worst, LB'er is a close second. 

Offensive line and its depth unless proven otherwise is weakest- outside LB is next

If they can't find a couple of solid starters and some depth out of a group of thirteen(ish) O-lineman it's gonna' be pretty depressing.

it is.  how many qbs are we gonna run out of town because of our miserable ol. Not that the QBs were any thing special.

http://www.buccaneers.com/news/article-smith/Football-Geekery-Quicker-Passes-Needed/81de1b9e-dd24-4581-80b2-1e58c53a5680

Ive posted this article before, it's from an official NFL team site, detailing how Geno Smith had the most time in the league to throw, besides Jake Locker. He was getting 4 seconds through the tough first half of last season. He was getting 6 until he scrambles. No OL gives more time. Not in this league. 

Jets fans forget what competant QB play looks like. 1, 2, it's out none of this hold the ball for 10 seconds BS.  the Jets OL isn't as good as it was in the Faneca/woody years but it's still above average. It's the QB that's the problem. 

not to mention they were 2nd in rushing last year. 

http://www.buccaneers.com/news/article-smith/Football-Geekery-Quicker-Passes-Needed/81de1b9e-dd24-4581-80b2-1e58c53a5680

Ive posted this article before, it's from an official NFL team site, detailing how Geno Smith had the most time in the league to throw, besides Jake Locker. He was getting 4 seconds through the tough first half of last season. He was getting 6 until he scrambles. No OL gives more time. Not in this league.

Jets fans forget what competant QB play looks like. 1, 2, it's out none of this hold the ball for 10 seconds BS. the Jets OL isn't as good as it was in the Faneca/woody years but it's still above average. It's the QB that's the problem.

This

Jets fans forget what competant QB play looks like. 1, 2, it's out none of this hold the ball for 10 seconds BS.  the Jets OL isn't as good as it was in the Faneca/woody years but it's still above average. It's the QB that's the problem. 

This to me is like what happens at the Combines. It's a part of the pie that folks look at and say what should have happen, but doesn't take into consideration the other parts of the same pie. I saw the games, and Geno Smith like Mark Sanchez before him was running for his life far more than those #s dictate. 

I'm not all that concerned about the LB situation, because Bowles tends to run with just two LBs and at least five DBs most of the time. I also see that as the most likely position for them to go after at #6 overall. Just think that's gonna take care of itself.

I agree with Bit about the OL. It being a weakness on this team is constantly overstated. They're at least an average group. They brought in another free agent this year already, and have a number of developmental guys on the roster. It wouldn't surprise me at all if the Jets chose not to draft a single offensive lineman.

QB is clearly the biggest problem, and there are no easy fixes. Unfortunately. Partly because of that, I think RB is a huge need. With below average QB play, the team needs a great running game, and a RB who can catch the football. Someone for screens and dump offs. If they're not in love with a QB in the second round, I could see them going RB there. Again, it just looks like where value is gonna meet need.

I'm not sold on Brandon Marshall completing the WR group. It wouldn't shock me if they decided they couldn't pass on Cooper if he's there, either.

I'd list the defensive secondary as the strongest unit on the team which is amazing when you consider they arguably had the worst secondary in the NFL last year.

This to me is like what happens at the Combines. It's a part of the pie that folks look at and say what should have happen, but doesn't take into consideration the other parts of the same pie. I saw the games, and Geno Smith like Mark Sanchez before him was running for his life far more than those #s dictate. 

it's not that hard Tin. there's a watch that starts when the ball is snapped. 2 maybe 3 seconds is what you get. Jets fans see Geno get sacked after 5 seconds, that's not on the OL. It's that simple.  

Mark and Geno had the same failing, holding the ball too long. 

it's not that hard Tin. there's a watch that starts when the ball is snapped. 2 maybe 3 seconds is what you get. Jets fans see Geno get sacked after 5 seconds, that's not on the OL. It's that simple.  

And why exactly do you think that was/is.  you said that those stats were compiled early in the year. Could that be when Decker was hurt.  Like I said, it's a part of the pie. It's most important today because it's the last part of the pie. Just like the combines and pro days are the last part od the who gets drafted where pie.

What's important to me is what I player does in the moment during a game, Geno is an Issue, but so is our OL, our Lbers .  I

IMO, these are the 3 biggest issues on our team. We can not do much about the QB position for 2015, but we sure as heck can address the other 2.

Or the wrs not getting open.

Well for what ever it is worth (and it might not be much) Gaileys spread offense will be more familiar and less complicated than MM offense.  Also I think Geno started holding on to the ball longer after all the ints; it tends to make one more hesitant, especially given our receiver corp and lack of a true #1 who could go get the ball even when covered.   All those factors have me believing that if Geno wins the job he will be better in that area.  Okay 1.... 2.... 3 All together now GENO SUCKS, HE ALWAYS SUCKED HE WILL ALWAYS SUCK ETC. ETC.   Okay I got that out of the way so need for any one to post it lol. 

Or the wrs not getting open.

Combination of both.  Receivers who can't or won't fight for the ball, poor route running, bad throws  resulting in interceptions.  That tends to make a qb a little gunshy.  

it is.  how many qbs are we gonna run out of town because of our miserable ol. Not that the QBs were any thing special.

How many QBs have we even run out of town?  Sanchez had Brick-Faneca-Mangold-Moore-Woody and he still sucked. Or are you complaining that we "ran" Pennington, Patrick Ramsey and Bollinger out of town?

I think our Defensive Line is the strongest unit on the team.

We have arguably 1 of the top 5 best NTs in the league if not the best in Snacks. 

We have 2 of the top 10 best 34 DE in the  league in Richardson and Wilkerson.

Our secondary while better doesn't compare to that. (Revis)

Bit, how much of that do you attribute to other teams "letting" him throw?  I know the pats very rarely blitzed him and played zone and tried to confuse him and let him kill himself. I think teams were confident playing 6 or 7 in pass D and not worrying about applying pressure.

Bit, how much of that do you attribute to other teams "letting" him throw?  I know the pats very rarely blitzed him and played zone and tried to confuse him and let him kill himself. I think teams were confident playing 6 or 7 in pass D and not worrying about applying pressure.

Patman, what's really crazy is that Geno has probably played his best overall games vs the Pats. Throw out his first one , I think his second game as a pro, and he has done pretty well. I think he is 1-3 vs them, and all those games could have gone either way, including the one we won. You are right that he usually does beat himself, which has to change for us to ever get over the hump. In this day and age the QB has to win games for his team from time to time. I agree with Bit in that we haven't seen competent QB play in years, probably Chad before the first injury.

while I don't want to stick up for any of our QB's and the fact they cause most of their own problems when It comes to getting rid of the football they didn't exactly have  decent WR's and that has to play into the equasion. Even when we had that Idiot Holmes he constantly missed reads on blitzes and those things certainly don't help. With Decker and Marshall as a team that should change at least a little bit taking some pressure off the O-Line for stupid QB/WR play

Strongest position : Kicker. Folk is definitely top 5.

Weakest  position : QB. Unless Geno suddenly turns it around. Fitz is our only starting caliber QB on this team. Just let that sink in.

I am not sure why DB's are being touted as the strongest position. Cro+ Gilchrist + Skrine will have to show alot before we annoint that unit as the strongest.

Pretty much any strategy can work because Geno Smith blows goats. 

the pats may have played him that way but they eventually could get pressure from Chandler and Ninkovich etc. Chandler Jones especially is a good matchup against Brick for whatever odd reason. 

but others teams blitzed him brought extra rushers that he didn't see and forced him make quick bad decisions.  Like i said either can work. Geno stinks that bad. And don't get me started on Sanchez. 

When Jets fans seem to blame the Line i wish they would try to imagine if Eli Manning had that line. Brady. Rivers. Manning. Big Ben. A real actual QB. There are many teams with garbage lines compared to the jets.

The Giants would kill for Mangold and Brick. 

Pretty much any strategy can work because Geno Smith blows goats. 

the pats may have played him that way but they eventually could get pressure from Chandler and Ninkovich etc. Chandler Jones especially is a good matchup against Brick for whatever odd reason. 

but others teams blitzed him brought extra rushers that he didn't see and forced him make quick bad decisions.  Like i said either can work. Geno stinks that bad. And don't get me started on Sanchez. 

When Jets fans seem to blame the Line i wish they would try to imagine if Eli Manning had that line. Brady. Rivers. Manning. Big Ben. A real actual QB. There are many teams with garbage lines compared to the jets.

The Giants would kill for Mangold and Brick. 

Fine, find out what they would give us for Brick after this year. His contract won't allow us that luxury this year. Who exactly was it that put this Kid  "In Harms Way".  Geno Smith should never have been the starting QB of the Jets. For the love of God he was a 2nd round pick who played in a spread offense at WVU and was asked to orchestrate a WCO after 1 training camp.

Like Rex and Idzik, it was bound to fail.

Yep.  Both Sanchez and Smith have a tendency to panic when things start to break down, and do something stupid.

Archived