What if the Jets drafted... Scherff

Freemanm

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If we can get a true windfall trade, and if he is obviously the player on the board who would be the most valuable to us, that's one thing.  But otherwise? When we have the #6 pick, and the talent value is there for playmaker types (that we can't find as easily as finding a guard), I don't like it at all.

When your stud cleanup hitter is up with a man on, you tell him to swing for the fences, not to sacrifice bunt the runner over. Sure it's possible he may strike out, but if it happens it happens. Bad as that would be, it would be worse to draft a guard - with or without his supposedly so-so pass blocking skills - instead of a 22 year old Julio Jones.  We could far more easily recover missing out on drafting even a great guard (which Scherff might not end up being anyway). 

No, we read it just fine. You are suggesting we either force our hand to trade down specifically to draft him, even if a (harder to find/acquire) difference-maker is there at 6, or if we can't trade down it seems you advocate we take him at 6 outright. The "If you want to trade back to get him -- fine" part suggests the trade down is what others ("you") want but it's not imperative to you the author that we do so.

Is this a misrepresentation?

As usual, many words, little hitting the mark.

I am not a scout but the guy has it. Telling ya. The way he gets to the next level and make blocks is like something I haven't seen. This is a running team and this guy would be ridiculous at RT. The scouts are wrong is what I am saying. If you want to risk losing him to trade down, go for it. But I wouldn't get cute. I'd take him and not have any regrets.

Apparently everyone in this thread missed where I said trade down for him. Funny how people focus only on those things they wish to.

As usual, many words, little hitting the mark.

I am not a scout but the guy has it. Telling ya. The way he gets to the next level and make blocks is like something I haven't seen. This is a running team and this guy would be ridiculous at RT. The scouts are wrong is what I am saying. If you want to risk losing him to trade down, go for it. But I wouldn't get cute. I'd take him and not have any regrets.

So what are you saying, then? Trade down, or take him at six?

Taking a guard/RT that high is dumb, IMHO. Not when there's a potential pass rusher, WR, or even QB there to be had. This Scherff dude is getting a lot of hype, but no more than Cooper or Warmack a couple years ago, and there's no way those guys go top ten again if those teams get a chance at a do-over.

I'm all for a trade down if they like an offer better than anyone on the board, but they shouldn't trade down to target a guard, either.

When your stud cleanup hitter is up with a man on, you tell him to swing for the fences, not to sacrifice bunt the runner over. Sure it's possible he may strike out, but if it happens it happens.

I'm not disagreeing with you on taking Scherff at 6 vs. an impact player like Cooper or Fowler. I would prefer they follow your logic. But I can also see them not swinging for the fences at 6 either. If you take more of a Moneyball approach that favors metrics like on base percentage, with limited picks this year, Maccags may want to play for a higher batting avg than home runs.  If for some reason our scouts see Scherff as more of a "can't miss" prospect than one of the QB's or impact players, they could justify taking him at 6 to lower their risk of drafting a bust.  It's like what he said in his presser about stocks.  Do I buy a blue chip with a safe dividend or do I buy some small tech stock that could be the next Apple?

I'm not disagreeing with you on taking Scherff at 6 vs. an impact player like Cooper or Fowler. I would prefer they follow your logic. But I can also see them not swinging for the fences at 6 either. If you take more of a Moneyball approach that favors metrics like on base percentage, with limited picks this year, Maccags may want to play for a higher batting avg than home runs.  If for some reason our scouts see Scherff as more of a "can't miss" prospect than one of the QB's or impact players, they could justify taking him at 6 to lower their risk of drafting a bust.  It's like what he said in his presser about stocks.  Do I buy a blue chip with a safe dividend or do I buy some small tech stock that could be the next Apple?

That's not the analogy. Drafting Scherff @ #6 would be the equivalent of inheriting a million dollars and putting it in a savings account. Sure, it's "safe," but you're actually losing in the long term. Cooper, or your favorite pass rusher is the blue chip, and Mariota is the small tech stock.

That's not the analogy. Drafting Scherff @ #6 would be the equivalent of inheriting a million dollars and putting it in a savings account. Sure, it's "safe," but you're actually losing in the long term. Cooper, or your favorite pass rusher is the blue chip, and Mariota is the small tech stock.

Wouldn't Marriota only be the small tech stock if he dropped to 6 and the Jets made a trade down in that scenario ?

Again, I'm not disagreeing with this. I'm just saying that if the Jets FO feels Scherff is analogous to a can't miss OL prospect and any of the remaining pass rushers at 6 have a much higher ceiling but also Dion Jordan potential, I could see them playing it safe just to make sure they avoid a bust

Chance Warmack, Jonathan Cooper, David DeCastro.  All were "safe" picks and DeCastro is the only one of note.  Taking a guard in the top half of Rd 1 is not a good pick. Need to address the premium positions (WR, T, Edge Rusher, QB)

well..I think the same can be said of any position - it's all a crap shoot.

Passing on a #1 WR or stud pass rushing prospect for a guard/RT prospect isn't a safe pick. That's just stupid and costly from a value standpoint.

At 6 I want them to take the athletic freak that'll greatly improve the talent of the team at an impact position. I think the Jets end up going olb, which is fine since it is a need and there is good talent there where we are picking. I'd just prefer someone like Beasley or Dupree over Ray.

Also, Brandon Marshall is not a reason to pass on Cooper or White.

The GM told us he believes in taking the BPA even if he has 2 players rated closely and 11 of em fits a need.

2 QBs will probably be gone

Williams will probably be gone

Cooper will probably be gone

Who would you say will be the highest rated player(s) left on the board ?

The GM told us he believes in taking the BPA even if he has 2 players rated closely and 11 of em fits a need.

2 QBs will probably be gone

Williams will probably be gone

Cooper will probably be gone

Who would you say will be the highest rated player(s) left on the board ?

Beasley fowler and white

I would be "ok" with it but feel like they could have traded down and gotten him later 

for me it would be more of a value complaint than need complaint

Same here. And the fact that there will be RT's and OG's in the second and third that will be an upgrade to our line. I personally wouldn't waste a high first round pick on a lower skill position. LT - yes. But this is where you get the special player at a skill position. If you can't, do everything you can to trade down.

Brandon Scherff with the sixth pick? Would Jets fans storm the barricades at MetLife stadium, demaning Mac's head?

No, in my opinion, Scherff and Leonard Williams are the most reliable picks in this draft.  If a scenario were to play out where one of them was available at 6 then I think we should sprint to the podium to take either one.  

on your board maybe, but not mine.

Every year your board as an offensive lineman at the top. At least you're consistent. Scherff's marginal value over the2nd or 3rd round options at G is just not worth a #6 pick.. If the Jets honestly go that route, I would see it as a "I don't want to **** up in my first draft" move, rather than something aggressive and confident. Won't be the end of the world, but it won't set anybody on fire either.

Every year your board as an offensive lineman at the top. At least you're consistent. Scherff's marginal value over the2nd or 3rd round options at G is just not worth a #6 pick.. If the Jets honestly go that route, I would see it as a "I don't want to **** up in my first draft" move, rather than something aggressive and confident. Won't be the end of the world, but it won't set anybody on fire either.

That's actually not true. There was a time when I wanted to take Jay Cutler over Brick Ferguson. It's all relative to what i consider a premium position, the need of the team and who's available.

At 6, horrible disaster.

Trading down to take him, slightly less of a disaster but a disaster nonetheless.

Why in the world would we trade down to take Scherff?  Stick and pick.  There's plenty of talent at the top of the draft for us to choose from at our spot.  Make use of it and get an elite prospect, not a "versatile lineman" who we have no way of knowing if he can handle an OT spot. 

Just because we don't have a lot of picks later in the draft doesn't mean trading down is a good decision.  Mac is not responsible for the Harvin trade and it would be hard to argue the 5th wasn't worth it for a player of Marshall's caliber.  Costing yourself an elite prospect because you have a lot of holes to worry about is a horrid way to build a team.  We are devoid of elite players outside of the D-line.  That needs to change on Thursday night.

I would like to draft Schreff at 6. I know this is unpopular, but deleting threads that express an unpopular viewpoint is very scout.com.

Your previous thread wasn't deleted, it was merged into this first page thread about drafting Scherff with the sixth pick.

Your previous thread wasn't deleted, it was merged into this first page thread about drafting Scherff with the sixth pick.

software needs to be fixed then because notifications of posts being quoted are dead links when thread is merged. maybe put a ticket in with the developer.

software needs to be fixed then because notifications of posts being quoted are dead links when thread is merged. maybe put a ticket in with the developer.

There is a new version of this software, once we are 100% certain it is stable and worth upgrading to, we will do that.

Thanks for the PM though btw. 

Archived