Woody Johnson high on Geno Smith

Scoop24

Why can't he just say nothing?

Probably for the same reason you don't.

Here's the funny thing thou, he owns the team and according to you and others, he shouldn't talk about it but you who don't and doesn't pay any of the salaries, can.

Absolutely amazing.

Keeping it real.

Here's the funny thing thou, he owns the team and according to you and others, he shouldn't talk about it but you who don't and doesn't pay any of the salaries, can.

Absolutely amazing.

Keeping it real.

Aaaah, sorta like that ole freedom of speech thing that most people still don't get.

VJsw1MaU.jpeg

Absolutely amazing.

Keeping it real.

Uh, you are not keeping anything real.

Like other fans here (and elsewhere), I am not a team insider, let alone its sole owner. What I say has no impact on how other teams draft, make deals, or opt out of doing so. What Woody Johnson says, right before the draft after a month-plus of media silence, can have a tremendous impact. No GM from another team is going to read what any one fan says and change his course of action as a result, but they might because of what the team's owner says.

He would be wise to keep his fool mouth shut. Particularly while our drafting options are largely based on what others do, or do not do, before our pick. He might influence that. You or I will not.

Uh, you are not keeping anything real.

Like other fans here (and elsewhere), I am not a team insider, let alone its sole owner. What I say has no impact on how other teams draft, make deals, or opt out of doing so. What Woody Johnson says, right before the draft after a month-plus of media silence, can have a tremendous impact. No GM from another team is going to read what any one fan says and change his course of action as a result, but they might because of what the team's owner says.

He would be wise to keep his fool mouth shut. Particularly while our drafting options are largely based on what others do, or do not do, before our pick. He might influence that. You or I will not.

You have ALOT more patience than I have. 

Dude, it's a HORRIBLE precedent to set the week prior to the draft. Geno has been complete garbage. The owner needs to choose his words more carefully. yeah, "hope he gets better and competes for the starting job etc"....or something like that. 

The guy is as savvy as a toothpick..

ESPECIALLY with the sh*t Jet fans JUST went through with Sanchez year after year...

No dude you are making much to do about nothing.  Whether we take a receiver and or running back in the 1st, 2nd, 3rd or 4th round makes us a better team.  Whether it is Geno who is the starter as of now, or Fitz, the more weapons the better.   There is NO quarterback we can draft that will beat out either of them.  Fitz is still in recovery mode and no guarantees as to when he will be 100%.    I don't understand why you and so many folks are making such a big deal about this.  You believe Geno is as you say  "has been complete garbage"; Woody, THE OWNER believes he will/can get better and the more weapons we get the better.   It is what it is... 

LOL, do actually believe this is what he was thinking??

Exactly.

Since when has Woody Johnson made something up publicly just to mislead other GMs into doing what he wants them to do?

If we were playing a type of word association, no one would follow up Woody Johnson with tricky, scheming, Machiavellian, or the like.

If he says we're looking for more receivers for Geno Smith it's probably what he thinks.

It's more likely that Maccagnan said something less than forthcoming to Woody, to throw off the scent, than his being honest with Woody and Woody is then trying to use the media to manipulate future events and actions of others. 

No dude you are making much to do about nothing.  Whether we take a receiver and or running back in the 1st, 2nd, 3rd or 4th round makes us a better team.  Whether it is Geno who is the starter as of now, or Fitz, the more weapons the better.   There is NO quarterback we can draft that will beat out either of them.  Fitz is still in recovery mode and no guarantees as to when he will be 100%.    I don't understand why you and so many folks are making such a big deal about this.  You believe Geno is as you say  "has been complete garbage"; Woody, THE OWNER believes he will/can get better and the more weapons we get the better.   It is what it is... 

Completely not my point. I'll be fine if they don't take a QB in this draft.  My point is there's a lot of time in between now and then. From a PR perspective you CAN NOT, imo, even suggest to your fan base that, (in suggestive paraphrased tone) "well, we're all in on Geno, I sure am, so let's hope he gets better." Especially, given the ineptitude of Geno for 2 years and after recently hearing the same garbage on Sanchez for 4.

It's about tone and direction. "Whether it's in trade, draft, or another  QB on the roster...they need and expect more from the position...yadda yadda." Something along that sorta vague line...OR HE CAN SAY NOTHING AT ALL. 

Again, if Geno wins the job in camp, fine, but whether or not that happens, you can NOT anoint him the job in April. Even off handedly imo. Be smarter than that. 

It's a total ******* downer imo...to a 4-12 fan base looking for hope.  If that's the best they can do, fine, but don't say it in April. 

I think it's more that there's no point in telling others what he's thinking.

Anything can still happen, including trading Geno by the end of the weekend. But more likely is that he's bracing the fan base for not taking a QB too early (if at all) so there's no fan revolt against yet another GM of his, which is a silly endeavor given the fan base and its lust for fresh blood in lieu of a Lombardi. 

So it seems we're not drafting a QB in the first 2 rounds (perhaps not in the first 4). Woody says he wants to get Geno more receiving options that's what they want to do and it means we're not taking a QB early. He's saying what's on his mind with no thought to how that affects events around them. We are definitely drafting a pass-catcher of some sort (a WR, a good receiving back, or both). Also from the prior Bowles comment, we're also drafting an OLB whose skill is heavy on rushing the passer. This is no great mystery or secret, as every team can see where we're thin. 

I'm looking at this as the non-draftnik I am.  I see us going WR, OLB, RB, OL with the first 4 picks, and more or less in that sequence (barring trades of any picks/players). Possibly a QB instead of OL, depending on who's available and who's taken, but it won't be until at least round 3. Could be all 5 positions if we're able to trade back a bit, which I think is Maccagnan's preference should the right offer materialize.

lol now come back to this during round 5 and see how I couldn't have been more wrong. Possibly the safest bet of all.

Completely not my point. I'll be fine if they don't take a QB in this draft.  My point is there's a lot of time in between now and then. From a PR perspective you CAN NOT, imo, even suggest to your fan base that, (in suggestive paraphrased tone) "well, we're all in on Geno, I sure am, so let's hope he gets better." Especially, given the ineptitude of Geno for 2 years and after recently hearing the same garbage on Sanchez for 4.

It's about tone and direction. "Whether it's in trade, draft, or another  QB on the roster...they need and expect more from the position...yadda yadda." Something along that sorta vague line...OR HE CAN SAY NOTHING AT ALL. 

Again, if Geno wins the job in camp, fine, but whether or not that happens, you can NOT anoint him the job in April. Even off handedly imo. Be smarter than that. 

It's a total ******* downer imo...to a 4-12 fan base looking for hope.  If that's the best they can do, fine, but don't say it in April. 

I still think you are making big deal out of nothing but that is just me.... 

I think it's more that there's no point in telling others what he's thinking.

Anything can still happen, including trading Geno by the end of the weekend. But more likely is that he's bracing the fan base for not taking a QB too early (if at all) so there's no fan revolt against yet another GM of his, which is a silly endeavor given the fan base and its lust for fresh blood in lieu of a Lombardi. 

So it seems we're not drafting a QB in the first 2 rounds (perhaps not in the first 4). Woody says he wants to get Geno more receiving options that's what they want to do and it means we're not taking a QB early. He's saying what's on his mind with no thought to how that affects events around them. We are definitely drafting a pass-catcher of some sort (a WR, a good receiving back, or both). Also from the prior Bowles comment, we're also drafting an OLB whose skill is heavy on rushing the passer. This is no great mystery or secret, as every team can see where we're thin. 

I'm looking at this as the non-draftnik I am.  I see us going WR, OLB, RB, OL with the first 4 picks, and more or less in that sequence (barring trades of any picks/players). Possibly a QB instead of OL, depending on who's available and who's taken, but it won't be until at least round 3. Could be all 5 positions if we're able to trade back a bit, which I think is Maccagnan's preference should the right offer materialize.

lol now come back to this during round 5 and see how I couldn't have been more wrong. Possibly the safest bet of all.

Again I truly think this is much ado about nothing.  I  don't think he is worried about what the fan base thinks at this point.  The draft is in the hands of Mac and Co. and they will make the decisions based on their board, balancing needs with value.   I really think you guys just need to relax and let the draft unfold.

Regarding his Geno comments, if folks can try to be objective, it is in the best interests of this franchise that Geno develops into a quarterback you can compete with.  I mean the team has already invested two years into his development, and for the most part he has had few weapons to work with.   If you can't add a franchise qb, then you keep adding weapons and play makers which takes some of the pressure off of him.   I know many assume Geno is history but as I have been saying all along, he is not going anywhere in 2015.  Maybe Fitz comes in and takes the job; then Geno gets to learn from the sidelines.  The bottom line is we WILL add more weapons on offense; the only real question is what rounds...  If Geno has learned from the last two years, he could actually excel next year.  Sometimes it takes a few years, not everyone is ready straight out of college.  Woody understands this and that is the basis of his statements.  

Again I truly think this is much ado about nothing.  I  don't think he is worried about what the fan base thinks at this point.  The draft is in the hands of Mac and Co. and they will make the decisions based on their board, balancing needs with value.   I really think you guys just need to relax and let the draft unfold.

Regarding his Geno comments, if folks can try to be objective, it is in the best interests of this franchise that Geno develops into a quarterback you can compete with.  I mean the team has already invested two years into his development, and for the most part he has had few weapons to work with.   If you can't add a franchise qb, then you keep adding weapons and play makers which takes some of the pressure off of him.   I know many assume Geno is history but as I have been saying all along, he is not going anywhere in 2015.  Maybe Fitz comes in and takes the job; then Geno gets to learn from the sidelines.  The bottom line is we WILL add more weapons on offense; the only real question is what rounds...  If Geno has learned from the last two years, he could actually excel next year.  Sometimes it takes a few years, not everyone is ready straight out of college.  Woody understands this and that is the basis of his statements.  

No problem with his comments, whether I agree or disagree with his opinion on Smith. My issue has nothing to do with whether or not he believes in Geno Smith as a starter.

My problem was with the timing of his comments to the public (and in effect, to the other NFL GMs). He didn't say dick about Smith for how many weeks/months? Now he opens his big yapper and says to the world, "We're not taking a QB early but we will be looking hard at WRs." So if we don't take a WR in round 1, we're surely taking one in round 2. It could lead to a run on the position ahead of our 2nd round pick. Or might Oakland have been interested in trading down to #7 thinking Cooper might still be there for them and they acquire an extra pick in the process? Would allow us to grab Cooper if they were unsure we were even looking at the position that high. Now it's not happening because Woody blabbed about the importance of getting Geno Smith some more weapons. 

Look, literally nothing bad may happen that otherwise would have ended up favorable. But nothing is gained by telling the world what you're thinking at a time everyone else is being guarded with their own strategy. It is unnecessary, and can only do us harm. The best case scenario is it's net neutral (not worse), and at worst can screw up something great that might have happened.

Same as when he blabbed about Revis in January. He should have just shut up back then as well. Truth is we're lucky we weren't docked a pick. Goodell would have been totally justified in doing so.

COOPER would change everything!

If they were to trade up, and I don't want them to, it should only be for COOPER not Mariota.

He's a virtual lock barring injury; the rest of the projected top 10 is a crap shoot.

Agree that Cooper is probably the most known top-notch quantity in the draft.  However, because of that, I don't think there's any chance he falls to us.  There's a real chance tomorrow will be somewhat of a letdown for us after the pre-draft build-up of "teams are going to throw picks/players at us for MM" and "Leonard Williams might fall to us" or the talk of drafting Cooper.

For whatever it's worth (which is probably nothing), my gut tells me we're trading down tomorrow.

Would love to know what Mac and Bowles think about Smith.  

Right about now it would be just as interesting to know what they really think about their boss telling the league what positions they are (and aren't) interested in taking, at least with their early pick(s). 

Who else is doing this? Even Tampa isn't announcing that they're taking a QB at #1 (with a "we'd like to upgrade the QB position if we can" type of comment). Even though pretty much everyone believes/knows that's what they're doing, what is gained by confirming it? 

The way you get a great deal from someone else is if that someone else believes you're flexible in what you want. Giving Maccagnan credit he possibly doesn't deserve, but that's what is gained when he announces we're going to take the best player regardless of position (but without announcing who the team thinks is the best player, since draft boards probably vary from team to team far more than we all realize). It announces he's flexible and not locked in on any one player (or locked in on not taking a player). That's how you get a great deal offer. To get it after one announces one's positional value/intentions, requires events to unfold just so. 

No problem with his comments, whether I agree or disagree with his opinion on Smith. My issue has nothing to do with whether or not he believes in Geno Smith as a starter.

My problem was with the timing of his comments to the public (and in effect, to the other NFL GMs). He didn't say dick about Smith for how many weeks/months? Now he opens his big yapper and says to the world, "We're not taking a QB early but we will be looking hard at WRs." So if we don't take a WR in round 1, we're surely taking one in round 2. It could lead to a run on the position ahead of our 2nd round pick. Or might Oakland have been interested in trading down to #7 thinking Cooper might still be there for them and they acquire an extra pick in the process? Would allow us to grab Cooper if they were unsure we were even looking at the position that high. Now it's not happening because Woody blabbed about the importance of getting Geno Smith some more weapons. 

Look, literally nothing bad may happen that otherwise would have ended up favorable. But nothing is gained by telling the world what you're thinking at a time everyone else is being guarded with their own strategy. It is unnecessary, and can only do us harm. The best case scenario is it's net neutral (not worse), and at worst can screw up something great that might have happened.

Same as when he blabbed about Revis in January. He should have just shut up back then as well. Truth is we're lucky we weren't docked a pick. Goodell would have been totally justified in doing so.

And what if the Jets really want a QB and a RB ? Like Mariota and Duke Johnson ? just sayin

And what if the Jets really want a QB and a RB ? Like Mariota and Duke Johnson ? just sayin

Smash, you have a long running love affair for sh*tty Jets QB's, (Pennington, Sanchez)... What's the deal with Geno, he should be right in your wheelhouse for huge man love

Then that would be different. But it isn't the case. Not when, as far back as March, Mac already lined up a handshake deal to trade down with the Eagles if Mariota is there.

Personally I neither like nor dislike Mariota as a prospect, so it has nothing to do with that. But I think it's pretty clear we aren't drafting Mariota.

Right about now it would be just as interesting to know what they really think about their boss telling the league what positions they are (and aren't) interested in taking, at least with their early pick(s). 

I agree Sperm.  Not a good move on Woody's part to show his hand (if he truly means what he said and I think he did ).  I like Woody but he needs to let Mac do  his job.    Not to sound offensive but my first thought when I saw the article was that Woody didn't want to spend the money on another QB.  

Smash, you have a long running love affair for sh*tty Jets QB's, (Pennington, Sanchez)... What's the deal with Geno, he should be right in your wheelhouse for huge man love

never liked Geno from day one and I think I made that pretty clear. I'm also not an idiot who continuously bashes QB's or players on the Jets just to get message board attention and laughs. Only player I truly could not stand was Vernon Gholston/ 

Also I don't think Mariota is a sh*tty QB and would be happy if the Jets worked out a deal to get him. I think its a long shot but not out of the realm of possibility

This team is set on defense and had 45 sacks last year ranking them 6th in the NFL in sacks We have a great defensive line, and can with scheme, create a ton of pressure for a QB especially up the middle so I think going defense when we really need a bit more explosiveness on offense would be a mistake.

I love both the RB's Gurly and Gordon and even a few of the others ranked after them. I like White and Cooper at WR but prefer White and I also like the chance we can trade back and build up the O-line and possibly grab one of those backs.

We have a lot of possibilities and all of them can turn out well whether we take a QB or not early on in this draft. I just hope nothing happens that gets us Winston because I just do not see anything at all in that kid.

never liked Geno from day one and I think I made that pretty clear. I'm also not an idiot who continuously bashes QB's or players on the Jets just to get message board attention and laughs. Only player I truly could not stand was Vernon Gholston/ 

So people who thought Pennington and Sanchez sucked, didn't actually believe that (how could they, with all the SB's we won), they were just pretending for message board cred?

Archived