Woody Johnson high on Geno Smith

Scoop24

Woody Johnson, Jets owner, and Joe Namath, Jets icon, have watched Geno Smith play quarterback for their favorite team the last two years. But the owner sounds higher on Smith than does the icon.

"He's going to mature," Johnson said Tuesday at the 13th annual BTIG Commissions for Charity Day in Manhattan. "He's not going to be making rookie mistakes anymore. He's not going to be making sophomore mistakes anymore, hopefully.

"And when we played the Dolphins [in the season finale], he played OK. So if he can keep that going, we're good. We need to get him more targets."

http://www.newsday.com/sports/football/jets/woody-johnson-high-on-geno-smith-joe-namath-isn-t-1.10345064

Now I know some of Yall are gonna blast off about this . But reading a little deeper away from Geno stuff. Woody saying We need more Targets is interesting

He's not going to be making rookie mistakes! He's not going to be making sophomore mistakes!! He's going to be making junior mistakes!!!

Funny thing is Woody leans heavy on his Football People. So some one in the front office or Locker room is feeding him these thoughts .

or he's being told what to say to - get this - fool people.

Woody just got fined $100,000 for being too honest .. When has he ever had a history of smoke screening . Dude says what he wants I highly doubt he would sitting there talking about getting Geno more targets if he wasn't in the present plans . Not even a "Fitz or Geno" type answer as everyone else been giving us .

Woody just got fined $100,000 for being too honest .. When has he ever had a history of smoke screening . Dude says what he wants I highly doubt he would sitting there talking about getting Geno more targets if he wasn't in the present plans . Not even a "Fitz or Geno" type answer as everyone else been giving us .

that's the point.  he got fined for being honest.  i doubt he's being honest here.

that's the point.  he got fined for being honest.  i doubt he's being honest here.

Sounds like your in denial to me . But we will see. I will say this Geno got more of a commitment out of Woody than Revis (basically none at all) did right before we traded him.

Sounds like your in denial to me . But we will see. I will say this Geno got more of a commitment out of Woody than Revis (basically none at all) did right before we traded him.

the thing is, geno has done nothing to warrant any kind of endorsement or optimism.  the people who drafted him aren't there either.  the new gm brought in fitz and has said they want to bring in another qb.  whatever nice things woody says about geno are inconsistent don't seem relevant right now, a day before the draft.  

this said, when all is said and done, i predict the jets will take peat, start him out at RT and eventually take over for brick.  

Pre-Draft PR intended only to provide minor trade value for Geno Smith for if he is included in a trade to move up.

I really hope people are smart enough not to take what the team/owner/coaches say at face value.....because really, that's just naive.

You guys crack me up.  Fitz has just on on record as saying he is not even sure if he will be ready by the start of camp but somehow, there is NO WAY Geno can beat him out and become the starter.  Do you really for one second doubt that the owner wouldn't prefer to see the player his organization drafted, who is only 23, 24 and going into his 3rd year, develop into a better player and become the starter over a journeyman they just picked up?   I have no idea if he will ultimately win the job or not but reading some of this posts are hilarious in the amount of denial going on. 

Agreed....  It is Bowles decision to make but to think Woody is somehow engaging in PR, is really reaching to say the least.  

I'm not even kidding...he (Woody) was making such strides.

Whether or not Geno starts is irrelevant too fwiw, if he goes in an wins the job fine, his play will dictate that at the time....and then fine.

But to once again, open your mouth and anoint the sh*t-head, or to suggest it, literally just put me in a total sh*t mood the day before the draft. And I'm not even a total die hard compared to most. 

You guys crack me up.  Fitz has just on on record as saying he is not even sure if he will be ready by the start of camp but somehow, there is NO WAY Geno can beat him out and become the starter.  Do you really for one second doubt that the owner wouldn't prefer to see the player his organization drafted, who is only 23, 24 and going into his 3rd year, develop into a better player and become the starter over a journeyman they just picked up?   I have no idea if he will ultimately win the job or not but reading some of this posts are hilarious in the amount of denial going on. 

Dude, it's a HORRIBLE precedent to set the week prior to the draft. Geno has been complete garbage. The owner needs to choose his words more carefully. yeah, "hope he gets better and competes for the starting job etc"....or something like that. 

The guy is as savvy as a toothpick..

ESPECIALLY with the sh*t Jet fans JUST went through with Sanchez year after year...

The guy owns a multi gazillion dollar company and has zero public relation skills. It's dumbfounding. 

Because Woody Johnson is simply a Jet fan.  A billionaire Jet fan, but a fan nonetheless.  He's never been a business man, never been an executive.  He's a nice man who really has no clue about overseeing an organization.

There're fans who know the intricacies of the sport and there are fans who root for the team with all their heart, but never delve deeper into the layers of the game.  The latter is Woody, for better or worse.

LOL, do actually believe this is what he was thinking??

There's 2 years of tape Geno . Your not pumping up his value with Words . The writing has been on the Wall a long time . Time To face facts it's Geno or Fitz this season

Archived