Welcome Bryce Petty!!

JetBlue

Cleveland attempted to acquire the No. 103 pick from the Jaguars in order to jump the Jets and draft QB Bryce Petty.
The Jets worked out a deal instead, giving up the No. 229 overall pick to move up one spot. Petty needs time to develop, but has the size and arm to be an eventual starter. The Browns' endless search for a quarterback continues.
Source: Ian Rapoport on Twitter

• Replies 295
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Also, RB is simply not a "need".

In a pass-first NFL Era, with a pass-heavy O-Co, with Ivory/Powell/Ridley already on the roster, RB was never going to be a top priority.

On the flip side, adding a back who's good in the passing game would have been nice in a pass first league. Aside from Powell there's not much there, and Powell's not scaring anyone on passing downs.

What do you mean?  I said they are either unsure if Geno will show improvement, or they have moved on.  I say they may be  unsure because it's so early.  Geno looked pretty good last year up until the end of the second quarter of the Packers game. I am rooting for Geno but it's nice having Fitz there.  I am a big fan of the actual competition there will be this year, and the fact that Petty can learn from Gailey.

LOL. Geno looked good for 6 quarters last year.

Unless we're playing a one-read offense under Bowles I don't think Petty is putting his balls anywhere until week 208.

Exactly.  Let him sit and be a student of the pro game.  Maybe he get's it, maybe he doesn't.  Not everyone can learn to swim by being thrown from the boat. 

This tells me Fitzpatrick will be the starting QB this year. If they thought Geno was developing, you don't make this pick.  Just my opinion.

Geno Smith did nothing in 2 years to merit any consideration. He may have been screwed by Rex Ryan's pussyball scared offense. But he did littlle to help himself . Last week the jets' facebook page had a minicamp picture of him squatting about 130 pounds, with a spotter. There are teen girls at your local gym doing that right now. AJ McCarron, a career backup, squats 600. Imagine what Rothlisberger or Cam Newton can do.Which tells you Geno Smith aside from getting rough with stewardesses doesn't work very hard. F___ him. 

Exactly.  Let him sit and be a student of the pro game.  Maybe he get's it, maybe he doesn't.  Not everyone can learn to swim by being thrown from the boat. 

I think it's worth it taking a shot on a QB, sure. But I'm not so sure his ceiling is high enough to warrant passing on all the OL that was there at that point. The grade disparity was a little too high.

I think it's worth it taking a shot on a QB, sure. But I'm not so sure his ceiling is high enough to warrant passing on all the OL that was there at that point. The grade disparity was a little too high.

Unless he is.  Then we solved the single biggest thing that has haunted this franchise since Namath left. 

This tells me Fitzpatrick will be the starting QB this year. If they thought Geno was developing, you don't make this pick.  Just my opinion.

Of course you do. Just a dumb comment. Jets are adding depth and competition at the QB position, says nothing whatsoever on who will start as they drafted a deep developmental pick in the fourth round.

We've been beaten by the stick far too many times to trust that carrot...er bacon. 

We got to get beaten until we beat it.   All of us wish we could have the luck Cotls have in picking the exact season to suck to get a great QB.  We don't, gotta keep looking and taking beatings until we do. We must be learning because at least we are not in a position to have to start him.  

You bring up a good point. If he is a good starting quarterback, this is a good pick. I didn't think about it that way.

Funny.  My point is you can;t find out unless you try.  Neither of the two supposed QB's to get were available to us so taking a kid that could be developed is the other choices besides nothing.  Had a lot of nothing time to try something else.  Not sure any of these talented lineman would be the difference between a championship or not.  Probably not this kid but eventually some QB will be.  

Funny.  My point is you can;t find out unless you try.  Neither of the two supposed QB's to get were available to us so taking a kid that could be developed is the other choices besides nothing.  Had a lot of nothing time to try something else.  Not sure any of these talented lineman would be the difference between a championship or not.  Probably not this kid but eventually some QB will be.  

Philosophically I agree. Was just never a big Petty fan.

Gotta change the most important variable, or at least try to do so. Smith blows dead donkey balls. ANy more trying to redeem him is a total waste of time. 

Why? I have to be honest. I'm not really liking this draft. Grayson in the 3rd would have made more sense. OL in the 3rd or 4th would have made a lot of sense. Doesn't feel like we really helped ourselves the way we could have. Even the smith and Mauldin picks were reaches with better talent on the board at their respective positions. Petty was a wasted pick completely

Could not disagree more. Devin is an underrated WR with ELITE upside that is also a perfect compliment to our existing receivers. He was the perfect pick at 2. Perfect. We have not had as good of  a WR prospect since Key.

Brandt loved the Mauldin pick and he was perfect for our needs plus we got a 5th and a 7th, more depth competition at WR and he is a really good football player. Not a reach at all,

Geno Smith did nothing in 2 years to merit any consideration. He may have been screwed by Rex Ryan's pussyball scared offense. But he did littlle to help himself . Last week the jets' facebook page had a minicamp picture of him squatting about 130 pounds, with a spotter. There are teen girls at your local gym doing that right now. AJ McCarron, a career backup, squats 600. Imagine what Rothlisberger or Cam Newton can do.Which tells you Geno Smith aside from getting rough with stewardesses doesn't work very hard. F___ him. 

There is no way McCarron squats 600. He's not that strong. If we're talking about Suh or JJ Watt, sure. I'd wager McCarron one-rep maxes somewhere between 450-500. The big guys probably do that for reps.

Philosophically I agree. Was just never a big Petty fan.

I'm lucky because I know very little about him.  So I can get excited before I find out he is no good.  I'm nearsighted so that is the same reason I never wore my glasses when I went out to meet woman.  

Not sure how his "ceiling" is a decent backup. That would be true if he has physical limitations. He doesn't.

I get the OL concerns, but everything we've been doing suggests we think we're set there for now. And no reason we can't snag OL in the 5th. Petty would NOT have been there.

he's a better passer then Hundley. i think he's a better player then Hundley as well. something about Hundley reminded me of Geno Smith. we'll see though, definitely excited for petty.

I was a bigger Hundley fan but I agree. Petty is probably the better QB today . I just felt like Hundley had a higher ceiling.

No complaints with this pick though.

Gotta change the most important variable, or at least try to do so. Smith blows dead donkey balls. ANy more trying to redeem him is a total waste of time. 

One of the things I like about the new regime.  So far it appears we will have an ACTUAL QB competition this year.  I got my money on Fitz and his beard.

Could not disagree more. Devin is an underrated WR with ELITE upside that is also a perfect compliment to our existing receivers. He was the perfect pick at 2. Perfect. We have not had as good of  a WR prospect since Key.

Brandt loved the Mauldin pick and he was perfect for our needs plus we got a 5th and a 7th, more depth competition at WR and he is a really good football player. Not a reach at all,

There is no way McCarron squats 600. He's not that strong. If we're talking about Suh or JJ Watt, sure. I'd wager McCarron maxes somewhere between 450-500

There is a "60 Minutes' Nick Saban story where they interviewed McCarron with the Bama strength coach and they explained how his squat went from 250 to 600. Geno Smith doesn't work hard at all. 

GREAT value pick here.  I think that Petty is going to be the starting QB for the Jets within the next few years. I think this also tells us how the new regime feels about Geno. 

I think all it tells you is that they're ambivalent, and waiting until the 4th to take a QB tells you they thought the same about the entire QB class this year. I think they might've wanted one of the guys who flew off the board between where they started yesterday, and where they traded down to. This could be a consolation prize. They announced a while back that they wanted to add a QB. 

IMO, Geno is still the favorite to be the opening day starter - on a short leash with Fitzpatrick waiting in the wings, but starting. With two QBs ahead of him, Petty gets all year to sit, watch, and learn. 

I'm lucky because I know very little about him. So I can get excited before I find out he is no good. I'm nearsighted so that is the same reason I never wore my glasses when I went out to meet woman.

I'm blind as a bat for far or near. I might have married a man for all I know.

We have a high 7th. Someone else probably wanted to trade with them with a lower 7th. They probably had us pegged for Petty and we deemed it worthy of losing the 7th.

We had the better 4th

We got to get beaten until we beat it.   All of us wish we could have the luck Cotls have in picking the exact season to suck to get a great QB.  We don't, gotta keep looking and taking beatings until we do. We must be learning because at least we are not in a position to have to start him.  

See, I think you missed the part where I mentioned bacon.

Cleveland attempted to acquire the No. 103 pick from the Jaguars in order to jump the Jets and draft QB Bryce Petty.
The Jets worked out a deal instead, giving up the No. 229 overall pick to move up one spot. Petty needs time to develop, but has the size and arm to be an eventual starter. The Browns' endless search for a quarterback continues.
Source: Ian Rapoport on Twitter

Another little clue as to how competent Mac is that he was able to anticipate that.

Archived