Welcome Bryce Petty!!

JetBlue

• Replies 295
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most ridiculous post I've read all off-season teams choose young QBs all the time regardless of the situation Simms is obviously not the answer here. 

If you don't agree fine, but you don't have to be insulting. My point is simply that if they felt Geno was the long term QB, rather then taking a developmental QB with this pick, they would have taken an O-Lineman or a RB.

Instead they took a developmental QB giving the impression that Fitz will be the starter in the "hold the fort" manner as Petty develops.

He has the physical attributes.  He has never been asked to do the things pros do, so who knows whether he can or cannot? These QBs get put into these systems by martinet coaches who could care less about development.  He might be a quick study.  He is rumored to be pretty smart.  He will sit a year.  But everybody thought MM should sit a year too. And Petty is just a 4th rounder.  No complaints.

Why? I have to be honest. I'm not really liking this draft. Grayson in the 3rd would have made more sense. OL in the 3rd or 4th would have made a lot of sense. Doesn't feel like we really helped ourselves the way we could have. Even the smith and Mauldin picks were reaches with better talent on the board at their respective positions. Petty was a wasted pick completely

There goes Simms

And very little of value was lost.

I liked him, but he's no starter.

Bryce could be (in a year or two).

The worst QB'd team for most of the last decade needs to do this every draft till they find one who isn't stinky dogsh*t.

another "clean" pick

no character issues, hard worker, great production, big time conference

I am going to just trust macc and bowles from here on out

even if some of these don't pan out, the approach and thought process behind these selections bodes well for the future.

So we get a potential development QB for (disregarding the possibility of him looking amazing right away) 2016+ beyond, assuming (the seeming likelihood that) Geno does not pan out. 

I really like the physical talent of Petty. We know that it all comes down to whether he can figure out the mental aspect of managing a pro-offense, and reading the a defense.

For me, this feels like Mariota-lite. 

What makes me excited about this pick is the value in the 4th round, and the fact that we have talent on offense that can spread out the defense AND we have the OC to implement that system.

Woo-Hoo!

One thing I do like about Petty that jumps out at me on tape: He likes to get rid of the ball quickly.  Often times so quickly, his receivers weren't quick enough to  react and make the catch.

This instantly makes him a better NFL QB than Geno Smith.

He definitely has a very quick release.  Genos problem isn't his release, it is his decision making. 

Why? I have to be honest. I'm not really liking this draft. Grayson in the 3rd would have made more sense. OL in the 3rd or 4th would have made a lot of sense. Doesn't feel like we really helped ourselves the way we could have. Even the smith and Mauldin picks were reaches with better talent on the board at their respective positions. Petty was a wasted pick completely

tumblr_m6rlx0QpmS1qe3fg4o1_500.gif

This tells me Fitzpatrick will be the starting QB this year. If they thought Geno was developing, you don't make this pick.  Just my opinion.

I think they're either unsure, or like you said, don't think he's developing.  There is no need for Petty to play this year and it's good value in the 4th round so why not.  It'll be nice to draft a qb and not have to throw them to the wolves immediately for once.

I think they're either unsure, or like you said, don't think he's developing.  There is no need for Petty to play this year and it's good value in the 4th round so why not.  It'll be nice to draft a qb and not have to throw them to the wolves immediately for once.

How can you come to that conclusion?  They went on record as saying they wanted to add another quarterback for competition.  Odds are that Geno beats out Fitz if it's close.  Petty sits unless he is lights out in camp and that probably still won't be enough.  Best case scenerio is Geno is decent this year, Petty is ready to step in next year and we can trade Geno for picks. 

both are problems for Geno

Not really but no point in debating that with you. Petty will get to sit and learn for a year. If Geno had the same opportunity we might not even be having this discussion. 

How can you come to that conclusion?  They went on record as saying they wanted to add another quarterback for competition.  Odds are that Geno beats out Fitz if it's close.  Petty sits unless he is lights out in camp and that probably still won't be enough.  Best case scenerio is Geno is decent this year, Petty is ready to step in next year and we can trade Geno for picks. 

What do you mean?  I said they are either unsure if Geno will show improvement, or they have moved on.  I say they may be  unsure because it's so early.  Geno looked pretty good last year up until the end of the second quarter of the Packers game. I am rooting for Geno but it's nice having Fitz there.  I am a big fan of the actual competition there will be this year, and the fact that Petty can learn from Gailey.

I was hoping for this actually after my main guy, Grayson went last night to the Aints. It is more of an insurance policy honestly because every year we hear Geno is looking "so good in training camp" then stinks up the season. Training camp vs. real bullets is totally a whole different ballgame.

Not really but no point in debating that with you. Petty will get to sit and learn for a year. If Geno had the same opportunity we might not even be having this discussion. 

Not sure on Petty, but I know Geno isn't starting material.  At WVU he developed a bad habit of holding onto the ball and waiting for Tavon Austin or another WR to get open.  Don't have that luxury in the NFL.

Petty seems to be programmed to get rid of it quickly and not play patty-cake with the football.

Jon Gruden: Bryce Petty might have the best arm talent in draft

By Mike Huguenin

College Football 24/7 writer

Published: March 4, 2015 at 09:30 a.m. Updated: March 4, 2015 at 10:08 a.m. 9 Likes  |  1 Comments

If sheer arm strength will play a big role in determining which quarterback will be the third guy taken at the position, Baylor's Bryce Petty is in good shape.

Former NFL coach/current ESPN NFL analyst Jon Gruden says Petty "might have the best arm talent in this draft."

» Mike Mayock's top five 2015 NFL Draft prospects by position

"Last year Derek Carr came to town and put on an aerial display," Gruden said in a news release touting his "Gruden's Quarterback Camp" show on ESPN. "I would be surprised if Petty isn't that guy this year."

Petty, who measured 6-foot-2 7/8 and 230 pounds at the NFL Scouting Combine, threw for 8,055 yards and 61 TDs (against 10 interceptions) in his two seasons as Baylor's starter. Gruden calls him "a great passer."

Petty ran a spread offense at Baylor and there are questions about him transitioning to a pro-style attack, but Gruden doesn't seem to share those concerns. He says Petty has been "stereotyped in the Baylor offense, but he's different."

NFL Media analysts Bucky Brooks and Lance Zierlein have Petty as the No. 4 quarterback available, while fellow analyst Mike Mayock has Petty as his third quarterback.

» Daniel Jeremiah's top 50 prospects for 2015 NFL Draft

The other quarterbacks involved in Gruden's "camp" this year are Garrett Grayson, Brett Hundley, Marcus Mariota and Jameis Winston. Of Grayson, Gruden said, "There's a lot of parts of Colorado State's system that I recognize, unlike a lot of college football."

Mike Huguenin can be reached at mike.huguenin@nfl.com. You also can follow him on Twitter @MikeHuguenin.

Archived