Eagles release G Evan Mathis

AFJF

Mathis would be a huge upgrade. The thing is he was one of the highest paid Guards in the league and it sounds like he wants more that's why Philly released him, how much more does he want? Do we even have the cap space to get a deal done?

Top 10-15 and wants to be top 5.  Too much money and we are too far away.  We have 15 guys for one spot.  I don't think this is the time to splurge on Mathis.  We can get a deal done, but I would rather wait until we are closer and/or spend it on an impact position.  I don't want to drop big coin on interior linemen, safeties or tight ends. 

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top 10-15 and wants to be top 5.  Too much money and we are too far away.  We have 15 guys for one spot.  I don't think this is the time to splurge on Mathis.  We can get a deal done, but I would rather wait until we are closer and/or spend it on an impact position.  I don't want to drop big coin on interior linemen, safeties or tight ends. 

And on top of that he's coming off a year where he missed a lot of time due to injury, not sure it's the right time for this guy like you said. 

PHILADELPHIA -- The Eagles on Thursday released Pro Bowl guard Evan Mathis, ending a standoff that continued through two offseasons.

Mathis, 33, was unhappy with the five-year, $25 million contract he signed in 2012 and has skipped all of the Eagles' offseason activities, which were voluntary. The Eagles were scheduled to have three days of mandatory training next week. Mathis could have been fined if he failed to report for those workouts.

Last year, the Eagles gave Mathis and agent Drew Rosenhaus permission to find another team willing to trade for Mathis' services. Mathis received the same permission this year.

The team hasn't yet announced the move, which was confirmed by sources to ESPN, but Mathis tweeted a farewell to Philadelphia shortly after the news broke.

Mathis' release was earlier reported by NFL Network.

"Evan's been available to trade for two years now and we've never had an offer for him," Kelly said during the NFL draft. "That's through his agent and him. They've asked if he could renegotiate a contract and see what he could get and we've obliged him with that, but we've never had an offer."

Mathis was scheduled to make $5.5 million in 2015 and $6 million in 2016.

Now Mathis will have to find another job. It will be difficult to find a better contract as teams have their rosters pretty much set and little room under the salary cap to work with.

Evan Not Almighty?
nfl_g_mathis_b1_134x75.jpg

Pro Bowl guard Evan Mathis is coming off an injury that kept him to only nine games last season. The Eagles rushing attack was actually better without Mathis on the field last year:

WITH WITHOUT Yds per rush 4.1 4.4 YBC per rush* 2.7 3.1 1st down pct 22% 25% * Yards before contact per rush -- ESPN Stats & Information

Meanwhile, the Eagles will have to replace a two-time Pro Bowl guard who regularly ranks at the top of Pro Football Focus' annual assessment of NFL offensive linemen. Mathis was PFF's top-rated guard from 2011 through 2013. He was second last season, playing only nine games because of a sprained left knee.

According to ESPN Stats & Information, Mathis led all Eagles offensive players with 3,675 snaps in the last four seasons. Right guardTodd Herremans (3,139) and running back LeSean McCoy (3,079), third and fourth respectively in snaps played during that span, also are no longer on the team.

Although Mathis was kept to just nine games this past season, he had started at least 15 in three of the previous four years.

After playing for three teams in six seasons, Mathis signed with the Eagles in 2011. Playing alongside left tackle Jason Peters, Mathis found a home. Mathis went to the Pro Bowl after the 2013 and 2014 seasons.

The Eagles released Herremans in March. Herremans signed a one-year deal with the Indianapolis Colts.

At the time, Kelly said that veteran Allen Barbre would slide into Herremans' spot. During recent OTA practices, Barbre was playing left guard. That led to speculation that Kelly didn't expect Mathis back.

Barbre, who will turn 31 on June 22, started the season opener at right tackle last year. He left the game with a high ankle injury that forced him to go on injured reserve and miss the rest of the season. Barbre has started a total of eight NFL games in his career.

At right guard, Matt Tobin is the likely replacement for Herremans. Andrew Gardner and Dennis Kelly could also be in contention for the job. Tobin, who made the Eagles' roster as an undrafted free agent in 2013, started seven games at guard last season.

Thank you JetLife.  I had a heck of a time trying to copy and paste without all the ads, etc.

There's a lot of other teams with a lot more cap space than we have.  I wouldn't get too worked up over this.

This. he'll go somewhere where the offense is older, more experienced, and less reliant on magic to be successful in 2015.

Didn't Denver lose a key OL player recently?

Mathis will be 34 in Nov and some think Brick and Mangold are getting old??

LOL, it's so funny how everybody rushes to judgement.

Mathis isn't being signed by the Jets, it would make no sense unless he was a 26-27 yr old player entering his prime.

The Jets have veteran stop gaps in Colon and the other vetern OG's they signed this off-season, they are committed to getting younger with their draft picks in Winters and Aboushi, and it appears the kid Qvale is getting strong look as well.

It would make no sense to sign a 34 yr old veteran.

Nothing online as of this second, but he just tweeted "Thanks for the memories Philly"

One of the best OG's in the NFL.

great player and all, but the jets currently have a log jam at guard. mostly unprovens, but I believe the situation will work itself out. wake me up when a veteran right tackle gets cut. cause breno blows!!

Florham Park's proximity to the Philly area would be a good selling point if Mathis has family situated there.

Also the history with Bowles from Miami & Philly.

Let's see how quickly the market develops for him.  Some team with cap space may try to give him $8-10 million per on a 1 or 2 year deal.  Really hope he doesn't go to an AFC East team other than us.

This. he'll go somewhere where the offense is older, more experienced, and less reliant on magic to be successful in 2015.

Didn't Denver lose a key OL player recently?

Nonsense.  He'll do what everyone does.  He'll go to whoever pays him the most.  He could care less about nonsense like the offense is more experienced in one place over another.  

Interesting:

New York Jets release reserve lineman Sean Hooey 6_3658543.jpg(Photo: Jim Brown, USA TODAY Sports)

The Jets released second-year offensive tackle Sean Hooey on Thursday.

Hooey signed a futures contract with the club in January, soon after GM Mike Maccagnan took over the front office. Obviously, he never played in a game for the Jets. The 6-foot-9, 295-pound lineman began his NFL career with the St. Louis Rams in 2013.

The move drew immediate speculation that New York opened up a roster spot to chase free agent guard Evan Mathis. The Philadelphia Eagles released Mathis on Thursday afternoon, and the two-time Pro Bowler will field multiple offers in the coming hours and days. He was set to earn $5.5 million in 2015 under his old contract, so he could come with a high price tag.

For now, newcomer James Carpenter is the left guard. However, he could move elsewhere to make room for Mathis.

cimini reporting the jets have about $5 mill in cap space, which is what you need for in-season injuries, so they are basically capped out

this actually is my fear with mo, other GM's will just wait it out and not offer any trade for him

it would suck to just see mo walk away

Having Leonard Williams will ease the sting.  Dude is gonna be a stud and plays the same position as Mo.

meh.  we'll see.  the jets are obviously going to wait and see what williams develops into, but mo is a proven player, a hometown guy and and a good soldier

it would be a shame not to get anything in return for such a valuable chip

meh.  we'll see.  the jets are obviously going to wait and see what williams develops into, but mo is a proven player, a hometown guy and and a good soldier

it would be a shame not to get anything in return for such a valuable chip

the good thing is, they have up to 2 years to evaluate Williams and make that decision.  They can franchise tag Mo next season.  So either way, they'll know whether its worth it to let him walk.

the good thing is, they have up to 2 years to evaluate Williams and make that decision.  They can franchise tag Mo next season.  So either way, they'll know whether its worth it to let him walk.

the tag for DE's is a ridonkulous number.  I think it's 14 million.   the jets can't afford that without cutting players.  

the point is simple, letting a top player walk away with nothing in return is a bad thing. 

Nonsense.  He'll do what everyone does.  He'll go to whoever pays him the most.  He could care less about nonsense like the offense is more experienced in one place over another.  

In that case, then why didn't the Jets get Mike Iupati this year with all the cap room they had?

They can't tag Mo next year. A $15 mil cap charge will kill the Jets next year. If he gets traded, it goes down before the season or they get a deal done with him.... IMO

They can't tag Mo next year. A $15 mil cap charge will kill the Jets next year. If he gets traded, it goes down before the season or they get a deal done with him.... IMO

not necessarily.  Assuming Mo would make $11-12 mil per year on a fair deal, the tag is $3-4 million more, less if they were to front-load a deal.  Yeah, that's significant.  But is it a game changer?  Doubt it because of the flexibility it could provide the organization.

I couldn't careless about his age. I really do want to get younger but he is a very good offensive guard. I don't care if he's 50. The point is he can play.

I just don't think we can sign him because of the amount of cap space we have. We need to leave some money for the regular season in case anyone gets hurt.

In that case, then why didn't the Jets get Mike Iupati this year with all the cap room they had?

Because they didn't offer him the same money. Didn't offer him any money, they weren't going to offer him the same money.

He got better than top dollar, was happy and grabbed it.

Archived