One more QB thread; who would you rather? Sanchez/Smith

LIJetsFan

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

12-20 record with two of the worst rosters in NFL history.  Normally that would mean hero status ... except that he was lowest rated quarterback in the NFL those two seasons. Maybe he's the weakest link?

It's possible but with a terrible roster and worse coaching, its also possible he wasnt the weakest link which is why I'd prefer seeing him in a new system, with new coaching and a much better supporting cast.  We've seen Sanchez on loaded teams, multiple systems and a different Head Coach and he still sucks.  Cant say that about Geno....yet.

We've seen Sanchez in what, 3 different systems?  with weapons, behind a loaded OL and with the support of the best running game and defense in the league and he still sucks.  

We've seen Geno Smith play on 2 of the worst assembled rosters in the history of the NFL and in one terrible system.  So, I'd like to see what Geno can do in a new system with better weapons at receiver and Rb and a beefed up OL.

So, to answer the question, Geno.

Well said.  Kelly has helped Sanchez to be marginally better. Smith has been mishandled from the beginning.  If he sucks with better receivers and Gailey's spread system, I'm off the bandwagon...

You know, at this point I'm starting to lean towards Sanchez too.  If that's the case then we have one more thing to thank Tanny for (NOT) and that is the asinine contract extension he gave Sanchez which priced him right off the team.  ie I would have preferred Sanchez over Vick last year to say the very least.    

No Sanchez actually took less money to go to Philly; would have done the same here and would have cost less than, "I am not ready Vick"

The truth is I was a big Sanchez booster and took plenty of GRIEF (some of it well deserved I might add) but I truly think that Sanchez' time with the Jets made him worse than when he came into the league.

Don't run, red light green light crap, bull horns and awful OCs, Sparano anyone, left Sanchez a literal mess. 

Geno has not played as well in big games as Sanchez has but so what? Sanchez is not as confident nor aggressive as he once was so he actually loses some brownie points from me.

We got Geno now and the time to see what Sanchez could do was two years ago not now IMO.  Sanchez I think will end up starting this year for Philly and do a credible job as their starter.

And if by some miracle Sanchez is better than that I will be very very happy for him but pissed still the same because it would just further highlight, for me, Tanny's ineptitude as GM.

Anyway as I said before we got Geno now for better or worse.

Lets Go Jets!!!

This thread has me depressed just so you know :)

The team is in a position to win and with Smith at the helm we could win multiple superbowls with the talent we have. Smith is one of the smartest and safest QBs in the league and would be the perfect fit for our team right now. Without a doubt and any day I would chose Smith (Alex Smith).

On a serious note though its kinda 50/50 for me in the sense that Geno and Sanchez have both been turnover machines, I think Geno is actually the better fit for Gaileys system and I am looking forward to seeing how he plays in a scheme that is similar to what he played (successfully) in college. Sanchez made a lot of mistakes and you really cant blame it on the team because he threw a bunch of interceptions for the Eagles also, I actually liked watching Sanchez play particularly games where we were only down by a little bit, had limited time and had the ball in our possession because that seemed to be when he played his best football. I would probably say though just roll the dice on Geno and hope we win and if we don't then move on to the next man up.

Would I rather get stabbed in the balls or shot in the dick? Idk, either one sucks :) lol

Seriously though at this point I think Geno has more potential to grow. We kind of already know what Sanchez is and isnt, but he would probably be the better choice for just this season.....going forward overall though I'd take my chances with Geno in hopes he can develop into a more consistent play maker.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

Haha - well said!

If this has been discussed before then mods please close this thread:

We're all Jets fans so we're all intimately familiar with both QB's.  They both stink but an argument can be made that both show improved play when surrounded by better weapons/OLs.  Both still have some upside (I suppose).  Both might benefit under Gaily as their OC and being  rid of Rex.  

So which QB would get us more W's this year?  I'm asking the question because I really can't decide and besides it's the summer doldrum and there is nothing better to do.  So, chose your poison, Sanchez or Smith under a Gailey run center?

Thanks in advance for your indulgence

They both make mistakes, they both are immature, they both played for overly defensive-minded coaching staffs with weak supporting casts.

But Mark Sanchez has proven he can 1) win games miraculously while trailing big in the high-pressure 4th quarter and 2) win games in the incredibly  high-pressure world of the postseason.

Mark Sanchez has led us to more fourth quarter comebacks and more playoff wins than any other quarterback in team history.  Geno Smith has not proven any of this.  So it's Mark Sanchez in a landslide.

SAR I

They both make mistakes, they both are immature, they both played for overly defensive-minded coaching staffs with weak supporting casts.

But Mark Sanchez has proven he can 1) win games miraculously while trailing big in the high-pressure 4th quarter and 2) win games in the incredibly  high-pressure world of the postseason.

Mark Sanchez has led us to more fourth quarter comebacks and more playoff wins than any other quarterback in team history.  Geno Smith has not proven any of this.  So it's Mark Sanchez in a landslide.

SAR I

So basically we can thank Tanny for giving Sanchez that asinine contract extension which forced his being cut from the team when he was perfectly serviceable as the backup behind year two Smith.   

So basically we can thank Tanny for giving Sanchez that asinine contract extension which forced his being cut from the team when he was perfectly serviceable as the backup behind year two Smith.

I myself love to beat on Tanny but in point of fact while I do believe the contract extension was dumb the fact that Sanchez was here thereby putting Geno into a no win situation was totally on Idzik.

In truth Sanchez was willing to rework his contract but Idzik in his own insanity wanted to prove Geno was this great pick by him. And so we now have half the fan base looking to tar and feather Geno and Izik is gone.

So much for a dumb plan.

12-20 record with two of the worst rosters in NFL history.  Normally that would mean hero status ... except that he was lowest rated quarterback in the NFL those two seasons. Maybe he's the weakest link?

Sanchez had a worse offense his last year here than Geno did in either of his years.   I'll take Geno though because he's cheap and "potentially" has more upside, though overall Sanchez has been much much better.

SAR I

Mark Sanchez blew it last year.  Tthe Eagles were 6-2 prior to when Sanchez took over as starter and finished 10-6 (4-4 with Sanchez starting and missed the playoffs). 

Mark Sanchez blew it last year.  Tthe Eagles were 6-2 prior to when Sanchez took over as starter and finished 10-6 (4-4 with Sanchez starting and missed the playoffs). 

Mark Sanchez "blowing last year" was a QB with 64% completion rate and a QB rating of 88.  If Geno can match that we will be fine!

Sanchez wasn't great last year but for a guy who held the clipboard instead of getting first team snaps he had a decent year on individual stats and three of those four losses came to Dallas (12-4), GB (12-4) and Seattle (12-4). The other loss was by three points to Washington.

So obviously I'd take Sanchez over the disaster we have now.

Both guys have suffered as young QBs due to poor development and a terrible surrounding cast. A couple more years of development in a decent system and Sanchez might be a starter in the league again. I don't feel that way about Geno. He might be our starter this year for lack of options but he is probably struggling to be the third QB on the team next year.

Yes, but I look at it even deeper than that.

We can blame Tanny/Rex for abandoning the QB that showed such great promise.  All meaningful draft picks on the D.  Tim Tebow to f-ck with his head.  Unqualified Tony Sparano as his OC.  No replacements for weapons like Edwards or Tomlinson.  Only offense in the NFL who had no RB for a QB to throw a dump off to.  Drafting Geno Smith on a whim.  Rex putting him out there to get killed in the 4th quarter of a preseason game.

It's not the contract.  It's the cascade of stupid decisions that undermined and destroyed the best QB prospect we've had since Joe Namath.  It's criminal.

SAR I

I'm not going to argue that Mark Sanchez is a quality NFL quarterback right now.  He's not.

But I will argue until I'm blue in the face that he was a terrific prospect, couldn't have asked for a better first two years as a junior leaving school early, and that the Jets ruined him.  There wasn't a single newspaper article or forum post in September 2011 when we were back-to-back AFC Finalists questioning the QB position or Mark Sanchez.  Not a single one.  We were all ecstatic about his miracle comebacks and his playoff consistency, couldn't wait to watch him grow into a great QB.  But without a core of young WR's to bond with and no replacements for lost weapons and a porous offensive line he got beaten and frustrated and lost the fans and lost the team.  That's not on Mark.  That's on Rex and Mike.

SAR I

I'm not going to argue that Mark Sanchez is a quality NFL quarterback right now.  He's not.

But I will argue until I'm blue in the face that he was a terrific prospect, couldn't have asked for a better first two years as a junior leaving school early, and that the Jets ruined him.  There wasn't a single newspaper article or forum post in September 2011 when we were back-to-back AFC Finalists questioning the QB position or Mark Sanchez.  Not a single one.  We were all ecstatic about his miracle comebacks and his playoff consistency, couldn't wait to watch him grow into a great QB.  But without a core of young WR's to bond with and no replacements for lost weapons and a porous offensive line he got beaten and frustrated and lost the fans and lost the team.  That's not on Mark.  That's on Rex and Mike.

SAR I

I've always felt that It took something special for a QB to win 4 road playoff games.  I feel Mike Tannenbaum did a poor job as GM starting with the end of the lockout in 2011.  The talent around Sanchez continually declined, as well as the added nonsense of bringing Tim Tebow on board in 2012 certainly did not serve the young QB well.

We can blame Tanny/Rex for abandoning the QB that showed such great promise.  All meaningful draft picks on the D.  Tim Tebow to f-ck with his head.  Unqualified Tony Sparano as his OC.  No replacements for weapons like Edwards or Tomlinson.  Only offense in the NFL who had no RB for a QB to throw a dump off to.  Drafting Geno Smith on a whim.  Rex putting him out there to get killed in the 4th quarter of a preseason game.

It's not the contract.  It's the cascade of stupid decisions that undermined and destroyed the best QB prospect we've had since Joe Namath.  It's criminal.

SAR I

Ummmm this!!!

Also QBs that perform even adequately in the playoffs are hard to come by and Sanchez was and is a winner in the playoffs.

Oh come on.  If it weren't for Tannenbaum spending like crazy and us having the best O-line in the game, Sanchez is the biggest reason we miss the playoffs in both 2009 and 2010.

Of course the talent level went down in 2011, exposing Sanchez for what he was.  We couldn't afford to spend that way in '11 and '12. 

Stop with the revisionist history.  Just stop.  The Jets didn't ruin Sanchez.  He was just terrible at football.  A couple nice playoff games don't change that.

SAR I

lol

I've always felt that It took something special for a QB to win 4 road playoff games.  I feel Mike Tannenbaum did a poor job as GM starting with the end of the lockout in 2011.  The talent around Sanchez continually declined, as well as the added nonsense of bringing Tim Tebow on board in 2012 certainly did not serve the young QB well.

Exactly. 

Look no further than Chad Pennington or Richard Todd or Ken O'Brien who could occasionally put up very decent numbers in the regular season and then sh-t the bed in the postseason. 

Since the object is to win 3 playoff games and a World Championship, and since that all happens in the postseason, finding a good QB prospect who is proven battle-worthy in the postseason is the next-best thing to having a Peyton Manning or Andrew Luck fall in your lap.

And we f-cked it up.

SAR I

lol

Not sure why the LOL but it's true.  That summer we were dancing in our AFC Elite glory and fantasizing about Nnamdi Asomugha as a luxury free agent.  Remember?

If you look at Mark Sanchez' first two years as a basis upon which to judge future potential, we had a 22 year old kid with 5 miracle fourth quarter comebacks, 6 playoff appearances, 4 road playoff wins, an 18-4 winning streak, and was the best Jet on the field in two Championship Games.

Compared to the first two years of the likes of Troy Aikman, Brett Favre, Steve Young, Peyton Manning, and every modern-year quarterback short of Andrew Luck you'd have thought Mark Sanchez could be the franchise QB we've been dreaming about for 40 years.

So ask yourself what went wrong.  And then look at the head coach.  And then look at the offensive coordinator.  And then look at the roster.  And then vomit.

SAR I

Not sure why the LOL but it's true.  That summer we were dancing in our AFC Elite glory and fantasizing about Nnamdi Asomugha as a luxury free agent.  Remember?

If you look at Mark Sanchez' first two years as a basis upon which to judge future potential, we had a 22 year old kid with 5 miracle fourth quarter comebacks, 6 playoff appearances, 4 road playoff wins, an 18-4 winning streak, and was the best Jet on the field in two Championship Games.

Compared to the first two years of the likes of Troy Aikman, Brett Favre, Steve Young, Peyton Manning, and every modern-year quarterback short of Andrew Luck you'd have thought Mark Sanchez could be the franchise QB we've been dreaming about for 40 years.

So ask yourself what went wrong.  And then look at the head coach.  And then look at the offensive coordinator.  And then look at the roster.  And then vomit.

SAR I

The LOL is because you're wrong. Plenty of people didn't think Sanchez was anything special even after his first 2 seasons. Plenty more didn't think he was the franchise QB we've been dreaming about for 40 years.

It is revisionist fabricated nonsense to say there wasn't a single article or forum post questioning Sanchez at QB in September 2011. It was quite common.

Sanchez was Steve Young (or Brett Favre or Peyton Manning) as much as Ryan was Bill Walsh.

He's not a Jets QB anymore (thankfully). Like Ryan, he is the enemy.

We can blame Tanny/Rex for abandoning the QB that showed such great promise. All meaningful draft picks on the D. Tim Tebow to f-ck with his head. Unqualified Tony Sparano as his OC. No replacements for weapons like Edwards or Tomlinson. Only offense in the NFL who had no RB for a QB to throw a dump off to. Drafting Geno Smith on a whim. Rex putting him out there to get killed in the 4th quarter of a preseason game.

It's not the contract. It's the cascade of stupid decisions that undermined and destroyed the best QB prospect we've had since Joe Namath. It's criminal.

SAR I

Bringing in Holmes and Derrick Mason before the 2011 season ended Sanchez.

Archived