Other than QB, what position do you view as 2015 Jets biggest question mark?

SouthernJet

Our OL is a gigantic question mark possibly as big and as season ruining as the CB position was last year.

sigh

the Jets offensive line was 2nd in rushing last year. Against teams that knew it was coming. 

Geno Smith had the 2nd most time of any QB (over 4 seconds per pass attempt) 

the line can be better but not much better. 

This whole thread is spurious, "outside of QB" there is no such thing. QB is everything. 

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Jets fans downgrading Revis because he wasn't in green and white constitutes actual ratings now?  Revis was a beast last year and maybe the dude from Oakland should watch the video or Harvin "beating" Revis.  I keep watching and I keep seeing Revis in Harvin's pocket and beating him to the ball.  Also, that review of Skrine is awesome.  Sounds like he is the perfect compliment to Cro.  Cro always seemed to have more trouble with smaller shifty guys and did better with prototypical #1s

Free Safety I believe is the obvious choice seeing as we don't have one

Free Safety I believe is the obvious choice seeing as we don't have one

What position is Gilchrist playing??

OLB, Two guys in mid thirties, a natural DE and a rookie.   Hopfully don't need much from this group as rest of D is lights out.

I don't worry as much about that, I think that they'll play a lot of nickel so a LB will be off the field a lot.

Now, the 2 guard spots?   ehhhhh, not good.  Especially with Rex and Suh in the division.  Say what you want about Rex, they have a good D, and he knows our team well. 

2017 and specifically how we will pay for it.

We have a great cast overall that we could afford because Idzik left behind a huge pile of cash. When that pile runs out we may not have the cash for all these powerhouse players and the better they do over the next couple years the more money they will want.

If we're limiting answers to positions on the field then probably OLB.

sigh

the Jets offensive line was 2nd in rushing last year. Against teams that knew it was coming. 

Geno Smith had the 2nd most time of any QB (over 4 seconds per pass attempt) 

the line can be better but not much better. 

This whole thread is spurious, "outside of QB" there is no such thing. QB is everything. 

So if Geno sucks, that automatically means that despite all the improvements we made in the off-season, the Jets have no shot at the Super Bowl?

You crack me up all last year Jet fans correctly pointed out he wasn't the same Revis( leading up to Pats game- see P Harvin beating Revis a couple times deep that a better Qb doesn't miss). Now that he's back with the Jets, and he still the best cb in the game. ( who isn't living in reality- still top tier cb though more like 5-10 ) The least of Jet problems at cb.

No offensive coordinator is afraid of Antonio Cromartie. Jet fans don't even trust the guy, and think Mcdougle can take over his spot at some point.( how is that possible with the 19th rank Cb in football Lol).

Here is a little except from Cleveland Browns Web site comparing Kareem Jackson and Buster Skrine. http://www.dawgsbynature.com/2015/3/7/8169011/kareem-jacksons-contract-and-buster-skrine

"Jackson and Skrine have comparable ball skills. Skrine is a bit better versus smaller, shiftier receivers while Jackson is miles and miles better than Skrine against bigger receivers. The moral of this story is that Jackson should net a bigger deal than Buster Skrine...but we'll see what his agent thinks."

Again the book on Buster Skrine is he has trouble dealing with tall Wr's. Nah he was ranked 23 by jet nut on his top cb's in the NFL.

Who give a damn about Jackson vs Skrine? Wow, a fan forum explaining why the corner they kept is better than the corner they lost. Deep. What does any of this have to do with the idiotic idea that corner is a worry for the Jets? And the equally stupid idea that Revis isn't a top, if not the top corner in the league.

I can't stand reading the message boards at this time of the year.  Inane!  The OP asked for THE biggest question mark, and like lemmings rushing off, posters are rolling out their favorite hobby horse issues w/o actually thinking.

This team on paper is average at worst at all other positions (sans QB).  Period.  That includes depth so talking about the vagaries of football isn't on the table either.

Give me some TC, please!  

There are many more question marks on this team than most fans would like to admit.  Even the perceived strengths of the team aren't full proof.

DL - Richardson's suspension, Wilkerson's unhappiness with his contract, rookie first rounder

WR - Marshall's injuries and age, rookie second rounder, Kerley's decline

RB - Ridley's injury, Stacy's decline

CB - Revis' age, Cromartie's injuries and age, injury prone depth

Don't get me wrong, I think this is a fairly strong team with a good chance to make some things happen this year.  However, the NFL is a strange world where a couple of injuries or a couple of unforeseen circumstances / lack of chemistry can make a huge difference and result in more losses than expected.

I think the Jets have a good mix of veterans and talented youth.  I just hope the coaching staff can put everything together and lead the team into the playoffs.  No position is a given in my opinion.

I think RB would be one of my biggest question marks for the Jets this season but Stacy played 2 seasons, his first season he got most of the carries and did alright, his second season I believe he spent some time on and off injuries and they also changed over to a three RB rotation. his stats went down a lot from year one sure but I think the kid has some talent and I would love to see him prove it.

I think RB would be one of my biggest question marks for the Jets this season but Stacy played 2 seasons, his first season he got most of the carries and did alright, his second season I believe he spent some time on and off injuries and they also changed over to a three RB rotation. his stats went down a lot from year one sure but I think the kid has some talent and I would love to see him prove it.

How the f can RB be a question mark when we had a top tier running game last years and we've added talent this year?  Please get real.

This thread is misleading. Outside of QB, the Jets don't have any question marks. The Jets are as good as any QB in the league that doesn't have an elite QB. Even with average QB play, the Jets are a lock to make the playoffs this year. If they get hot at the right time, they will EASILY contend for the Super Bowl.

This thread is misleading. Outside of QB, the Jets don't have any question marks. The Jets are as good as any QB in the league that doesn't have an elite QB. Even with average QB play, the Jets are a lock to make the playoffs this year. If they get hot at the right time, they will EASILY contend for the Super Bowl.

^ this ****in guy

O-line and both Safety positions.

OL is average, we're still terrible at Safety

4.5 per carry last year, near the top of the league.  When everyone knew we were running.  Geno hardly sacked, 29 or so total?  Yet we're average?

Safety, maybe you should wait to see Gillchrist and what Pryor can do at his natural position.  I'll bet the house we're not terrible there.

How the f can RB be a question mark when we had a top tier running game last years and we've added talent this year?  Please get real.

Beacause our best running back has only had one full season (last season) that he was able to remain healthy? the two rbs we added are both coming off injuries? Powell is a good #3 back and not really a great #2 but definitely wouldn't cut it as our #1 guy. If Ivory goes down the position can look very bad very quick.

Beacause our best running back has only had one full season (last season) that he was able to remain healthy? the two rbs we added are both coming off injuries? Powell is a good #3 back and not really a great #2 but definitely wouldn't cut it as our #1 guy. If Ivory goes down the position can look very bad very quick.

Some people just can't resist doom and gloom.

We are so deep at RB this year that we'll have to cut someone (perhaps Ridley will placed on IR) who a half dozen teams will be competing to claim off the waiver wire.  

Sure anything can happen.  The sky might fall.  You can't just say the position is a question mark because someone might get injured.  That is just plain silly.   

Some people just can't resist doom and gloom.

We are so deep at RB this year that we'll have to cut someone (perhaps Ridley will placed on IR) who a half dozen teams will be competing to claim off the waiver wire.  

Sure anything can happen.  The sky might fall.  You can't just say the position is a question mark because someone might get injured.  That is just plain silly.   

Ivory has been hurt every season he played except for last season, the other two are coming off injury from last season. Its not that someone might get hurt but players who have a history of getting injured also tend to get injured again. I hope they all stay healthy and we have a beastly run game but I wont hold my breath for it. Aside from that last season we were ranked 3rd in Rushing yards though we didn't have a single RB break 1k yards, we were ranked 17-21 (tied) for rushing touchdowns (not really an elite statistic) and we were tied for first in rushing fumbles, I do hate to be negative but those stats don't scream out top tier run game to me. I really don't think many teams were terrified of us running the ball last season (or passing it for that matter). I do think we should expect a better offense this season though so there is hope.

Ivory came in with durability being the major concern for him.

Knock wood, I have been very pleasantly surprised with how much of a pounding he has dished out ... And taken since becoming our #1 back.

The other guys we have on the roster are strong for #2-5 guys at the RB position.

If you have a concern it should be who can catch the dink/dunk/screen pass type of play on 3rd downs.

Ivory has been hurt every season he played except for last season, the other two are coming off injury from last season. Its not that someone might get hurt but players who have a history of getting injured also tend to get injured again. I hope they all stay healthy and we have a beastly run game but I wont hold my breath for it. Aside from that last season we were ranked 3rd in Rushing yards though we didn't have a single RB break 1k yards, we were ranked 17-21 (tied) for rushing touchdowns (not really an elite statistic) and we were tied for first in rushing fumbles, I do hate to be negative but those stats don't scream out top tier run game to me. I really don't think many teams were terrified of us running the ball last season (or passing it for that matter). I do think we should expect a better offense this season though so there is hope.

Being ranked 3rd without having a single back break 1000 yards is a good thing. The committee got the job done, and the committee looks to be improved this year. Yes, I would've liked for the Jets to draft a nice pass-catching RB, but they did add two RBs thru other means and -while I get the injury concerns- it's unlikely that the RB position will fall the way the CB position fell last year.

Hard to fault the running game for a lack of TDs when the whole offense was inept. It's not like there were a ton of red zone opportunities that they failed to convert. Five of those league leading fumbles were Michael Vick's, so I'm not sure if that's really an area of concern, either.

4.5 per carry last year, near the top of the league. When everyone knew we were running. Geno hardly sacked, 29 or so total? Yet we're average?

Safety, maybe you should wait to see Gillchrist and what Pryor can do at his natural position. I'll bet the house we're not terrible there.

Our pass protection stinks and Pryor makes Eric Smith look like Revis in coverage or did you not watch the games last year?

The two best pass protectors on our line are getting old Brick and Mangold. That's a red flag.

I would agree with G, specifically James Carpenter. If he plays like the #1 pick that he was, our OL will be very good, and his signing will look genius.

He wasn't good in Seattle why does everyone think this guy will become Larry Allen here? Wilson was running for his life behind this guy.

Offensive Tackle.  I think the cream will rise to the top with the guard competition but we don't really have much in the way of "cream" at tackle to begin with. If Brick or Giacomitti goes down for any length of time we might be up sh*ts creek.  

Our pass protection stinks and Pryor makes Eric Smith look like Revis in coverage or did you not watch the games last year?

The two best pass protectors on our line are getting old Brick and Mangold. That's a red flag.

Out pass protection didn't stink. And would be better with an experience QB barking out the right plays, audibles and assignments. Getting older isn't a red flag, it's life. They're still good and have some time left. Do we need guys? Yes, doesn't mean the line sucks, that's just wrong

And one more time, I know it's hard for you but wait until you see Pryor play his position, not a different one due to injuries. Yes I saw him last year, better question, did you see him in college? Obviously not because he isn't a cover guy.

Related topic: Other than the taste, what's the worst part about drinking a diarrhea smoothie?

It's leaving you less room in your stomach for menstruation Bloody Mary's with the tampon swizzle stick of course!

Archived