Jets knew IK Enemkpali was a character risk when they drafted him

JOJOTOWNSELL

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/08/11/jets-knew-ik-enemkpali-was-a-character-risk-when-they-drafted-him/

IK Enemkpali, the linebacker who was cut by the Jets today for breaking the jaw of quarterback Geno Smith with a locker room sucker punch, has a history of violence that the Jets were aware of when they drafted him.

In college at Louisiana Tech, Enemkpali was arrested for battery on a police officer. Enemkpali was eventually sentenced to probation for simple battery. At the time that the Jets drafted him, Enemkpali said he had learned from the experience.

“I was just being a young. [it was] a young, hot-headed decision,” Enemkpali said last year. “I didn’t think about everything. If I knew what I know now, I would’ve gotten myself out of that situation. I lost my cool. That’s what it was. I didn’t know he was undercover, which is no excuse, but . . . Yeah, I lost my cool.”

If the Jets knew what they know now, they wouldn’t have drafted Enemkpali. Teams take chances on players with character red flags all the time, and sometimes those risks come back to bite the team. That’s certainly the case with the Jets, who are now without their starting quarterback for the beginning of the regular season.

Jets coach Todd Bowles indicated that cutting Enemkpali was an easy decision.

“IK is gone,” Bowles said. “It’s something we don’t tolerate, something we can’t stand. You don’t walk up to another man and punch him in the face.”

Bowles declined to explain what led to the punch, but he said he was disappointed in his players that they weren’t mature enough to talk through their differences.

“It’s something very childish that sixth graders could have talked about,” Bowles said.

But the Jets’ locker room lacked the maturity of a sixth-grade class. As a result, Enemkpali is gone, and Smith is having his jaw surgically repaired.

He got into a bar fight. I have, I'm assuming most juiced up football players have at some point. Geno is a smug dick and I'm sure he deserved it. Getting punched in the face can be a good learning experience for certain people, I wish it had happened years ago.

He got into a bar fight. I have, I'm assuming most juiced up football players have at some point. Geno is a smug dick and I'm sure he deserved it. Getting punched in the face can be a good learning experience for certain people, I wish it had happened years ago.

WTF is wrong with you. Same post multiple locations. I think we are all clear about who the smug dick is.

WTF is wrong with you. Same post multiple locations. I think we are all clear about who the smug dick is.

So many things. If you've ever been in a locker room you probably know there's always an entitled dick. Reading the details of what happened and the fact that nobody really stepped in to protect the starting quarterback tells me Geno's attitude needs some adjusting. It's unfortunate that he's out for 10 weeks (I guess) but this is a guy who misses meetings, plays like sh*t and blames time zones like it's some mystic and confusing concept

So many things. If you've ever been in a locker room you probably know there's always an entitled dick. Reading the details of what happened and the fact that nobody really stepped in to protect the starting quarterback tells me Geno's attitude needs some adjusting. It's unfortunate that he's out for 10 weeks (I guess) but this is a guy who misses meetings, plays like sh*t and blames time zones like it's some mystic and confusing concept

This is all such BS There are so many self-serving and empty assumptions here with no basis in fact. And the comment about the lockerroom is plainly stupid. Yeah, I've been in locker rooms and like every NFL player who has been asked, none have "ever" seen anything like this. As one said: Cardinal rule #1: you don't injure your QB... ever." Not to mention that it was a sucker punch, so not sure how anybody was supposed to intervene. Geno had a lot to prove this year, but being taken out like this is just pathetic. Guys who cheer about it are franly pretty sick.

This is all such BS There are so many self-serving and empty assumptions here with no basis in fact. And the comment about the lockerroom is plainly stupid. Yeah, I've been in locker rooms and like every NFL player who has been asked, none have "ever" seen anything like this. As one said: Cardinal rule #1: you don't injure your QB... ever." Not to mention that it was a sucker punch, so not sure how anybody was supposed to intervene. Geno had a lot to prove this year, but being taken out like this is just pathetic. Guys who cheer about it are franly pretty sick.

Geno was shoving his finger in the dudes face over an argument Bowles described as child like. Name a quarterback in the league who's a leader that every player in the locker room, or at least the offensive line wouldn't run over to defend. He didn't actually get sucker punched out of nowhere. As for talk about time zones maybe you're confused also but I don't know if you where ever given a college education like Geno (though you shouldn't need one) so I'll forgive you on that

Totally agree. Finally someone who has the smarts.

So, we lose a situational pass rusher (who looked good in camp reports), a bitch QB (who also looked good in camp), and how does this impact our IR designated to return situation? Can both Milliner and Geno get that designation?

You're really just braindead 

I don't know if Geno 'deserved it'. In fact, he didn't.

But a bar fight in college now counts as character issues? And wasn't the sacred police officer undercover for some reason? It's not like he walked up to a uniform and fought him.

Not making excuses but Jesus tapdancing Christ, some people need to take the faux outrage down a notch or ten.

Here is what I don't get.  Geno agreed to fly to Nowhere, Texas to appear at IK's charity event.  Were these guys buddies?  Why would Geno want to go to a place like that if these guys did not like each other?  And if they liked each other, why would this boob punch him in the face?  Over 6 
Cs?  I suppose they are both just major assholes.

Let IK get a real job next time he surfaces he will be taking orders for a burger and shake. 

Really?  He will do an anger management class, make a promise to a new team he will never do it again and no doubt get another chance to play in the NFL. Probably do less to his career than to Geno's.  Like it or not the football is a violent sport for violent people. 

Here is what I don't get.  Geno agreed to fly to Nowhere, Texas to appear at IK's charity event.  Were these guys buddies?  Why would Geno want to go to a place like that if these guys did not like each other?  And if they liked each other, why would this boob punch him in the face?  Over 6 

Cs?  I suppose they are both just major assholes.

I would guess they aren't the greatest of friends, but IK asked Geno to attend to make the "event" a little more impressive, in that a starting QB is attending etc. Now, Geno isn't some big draw, but as IK is a 6th round pick/reserve, getting an NFL starter to attend I think makes the event a little better. I'd think the bad blood was as much as Geno cancelling at all, and at the last minute, as it was about the money. I'd think that the money and perhaps (conjecture here) Smith's lackadaisical attitude towards paying it back quickly were the trigger. Depending on your feelings about Geno, feel free to speculate if Geno not being a leader, smug dick etc only fueled IK more. 

That said, Geno being a dbag or not, punching someone in the face, as a pro player, over 600 dollars and hurt feelings is sort of dumb. Oh, I forgot, the finger in the face. That makes it ok. 

Really?  He will do an anger management class, make a promise to a new team he will never do it again and no doubt get another chance to play in the NFL. Probably do less to his career than to Geno's.  Like it or not the football is a violent sport for violent people. 

Normally I'd agree with you on him getting another shot, but for a guy who has done nothing in the league to break the jaw of his starting QB?  I think he's done.

I don't think so.  Once again we are talking about a marginal player.  A non-starter and person competing for a spot on a team.  Add this in and why would any team even bother taking a chance?  Promises don't mean alot when you have lost your temper on multiple occasions.  

Normally I'd agree with you on him getting another shot, but for a guy who has done nothing in the league to break the jaw of his starting QB?  I think he's done.

He is the same rookie who got drafted. He punched a jag QB in the face after having a finger wagged in his face. He will get another chance. Patriot, Bills or San Fran.

I don't think so.  Once again we are talking about a marginal player.  A non-starter and person competing for a spot on a team.  Add this in and why would any team even bother taking a chance?  Promises don't mean alot when you have lost your temper on multiple occasions.

It's football not camp counseling. In a league were guys cheat, punch their spouse in the face and break the law like they never heard of it before I see this as a blip on the radar. This kid has the temperament to be a NFL line backer. Just needs to mature and control it better. He will get another shot someplace.

It's football not camp counseling. In a league were guys cheat, punch their spouse in the face and break the law like they never heard of it before I see this as a blip on the radar. This kid has the temperament to be a NFL line backer. Just needs to mature and control it better. He will get another shot someplace.

You are missing the point.  Forget the attitude, he's just not a good player to begin with.  Throw this on top of it and why would anyone pick him up?  If Geno decides to press charges, you can definitely forget about his NFL career.  

You are missing the point.  Forget the attitude, he's just not a good player to begin with.  Throw this on top of it and why would anyone pick him up?  If Geno decides to press charges, you can definitely forget about his NFL career.  

How do you know he is not good?  He was good enough to be drafted.  He will be good enough for someone to take a look.  Geno press charges?  For what?  Getting punch in the face for arguing and wagging your finger in someones face in an NFL locker room?  Is that even a crime?

How do you know he is not good?  He was good enough to be drafted.  He will be good enough for someone to take a look.  Geno press charges?  For what?  Getting punch in the face for arguing and wagging your finger in someones face in an NFL locker room?  Is that even a crime?

Punching someone in the face and breaking their jaw is felony assault my man.  How do I know IK isn't good?  Because he was a 6th round pick and 90% of 6th round picks don't make any difference in this league.  

Punching someone in the face and breaking their jaw is felony assault my man.  How do I know IK isn't good?  Because he was a 6th round pick and 90% of 6th round picks don't make any difference in this league.  

Yeah but the 10% that are play for cheap and help fill voids cheaply.  Worth a look I think. Plus kids got fire and a killer instinct.   He punched a grown man in the jaw because he got in his face.  It happens.  It would be reduced and IK would have to do some counseling. 

Yeah but the 10% that are play for cheap and help fill voids cheaply.  Worth a look I think. Plus kids got fire and a killer instinct.   He punched a grown man in the jaw because he got in his face.  It happens.  It would be reduced and IK would have to do some counseling. 

I agree that if charged are pressed, it will eventually be reduced like most cases.  However, this isn't the first physical altercation IK has been in.  Also, had an incident in college where if I'm not mistaken, he had to be tased.  I'm obviously by no means a GM but if I was why would I want a guy like this on my team?  You can find plenty of other guys to fill voids cheaply.  That's just my opinion and I respect yours so let's just see what happens.  

Archived