Mariota and Petty

Joe Jets fan

Anyone still think Mariota needs to sit for a year before playing?

Looks to me that playing the spread and not taking snaps from under center in college does not mean a darn thing. 

This does not mean Petty can do the same.  Just means it's not automatic that a QB from a spread system has to sit. They can learn, and succeed.  

I like what our coaching staff is doing with Petty letting him practice and get as many reps as he can and if he can play they will get him on the field. They are not just going to rush Petty onto the field before he is ready to really thrive and I think that is the correct approach to take.

Potential means nothing, cultivating that potential and surrounding it with the proper support is everything and that is what this GM seems intent on doing....

I like what our coaching staff is doing with Petty letting him practice and get as many reps as he can and if he can play they will get him on the field. They are not just going to rush Petty onto the field before he is ready to really thrive and I think that is the correct approach to take.

Potential means nothing, cultivating that potential and surrounding it with the proper support is everything and that is what this GM seems intent on doing....

great post! Very true stuff here guys. Let him learn. He has a big arm, great placement of the ball and some pocket mobility. He could be our Aaron Rodgers one day. Didn't Aaron Rodgers sit too?

One game does not make a quarterback. Remember how hot Sanchez looked in his first game? 

Yeah I remember… He looked absolutely nothing like Mariota looked yesterday. 13/16 for 209 and 4tds (in the first half!) - then they called off the dogs.

Sanchez was 18-31 for 272 and 1 td.

Sanchez looked promising in like "hey this guy might not be that bad", Mariota on the other hand looked amazing.  You can say "oh well its tampa" etc etc, but I don't think comparing Sanchez's first game to Mariota yesterday is a fair comparison - Mariota will be one of the best starters in this league, whereas sanchez may be the best backup in this league.  Sanchez never has never looked as good as Mariota did yesterday in his entire career.

Petty didn't even have a play book in college.  Mariota has been preparing for the NFL a couple years now.  Mariota works out with Phillip Rivers in the offseason.  He's much further along than Petty.  

I don't know why jets fans don't believe Petty need to sit ND we need to be patient...Mac, Gaily, and Bowles have all said he isn't ready and has a long ways to go...why rush the process?  Haven't we done that enough?

Yeah I remember… He looked absolutely nothing like Mariota looked yesterday. 13/16 for 209 and 4tds (in the first half!) - then they called off the dogs.

Sanchez was 18-31 for 272 and 1 td.

Sanchez looked promising in like "hey this guy might not be that bad", Mariota on the other hand looked amazing.  You can say "oh well its tampa" etc etc, but I don't think comparing Sanchez's first game to Mariota yesterday is a fair comparison - Mariota will be one of the best starters in this league, whereas sanchez may be the best backup in this league.  Sanchez never has never looked as good as Mariota did yesterday in his entire career.

You're missing the point. It's one game. It doesn't matter that Mariota beat up on the Bucs. It wouldn't matter if he beat up on the Patriots (though cool). His first game as a pro doesn't mean that we should start Petty or that QBs coming from the spread offense can come in and set the league on fire. RGIII had an amazing opening game and first season. Look where he is now. It takes time to fully evaluate a player. 

You're missing the point. It's one game. It doesn't matter that Mariota beat up on the Bucs. It wouldn't matter if he beat up on the Patriots (though cool). His first game as a pro doesn't mean that we should start Petty or that QBs coming from the spread offense can come in and set the league on fire. RGIII had an amazing opening game and first season. Look where he is now. It takes time to fully evaluate a player. 

I get that point - I've never been advocating to start petty soon at all - my argument is that to there is no comparison between Sanchez first start to Mariotas - Mariotas was much better, not even close.

Mariota is 100x the prospect Petty is

Some of these guys just don't get how good Mariota is.  100x is obviously an exaggeration, but I know what you mean.  Mariota is on a lousy team with bottom five weapons and bad games are certain to come.  However, he is a special player that is going to show many more flashes of brilliance than cause for concern.  i cannot say it enough.  Mariota was the best player in the draft by a mile.

The best case scenario for a Petty and MM comparison is that Petty gets the ball out as quickly and accurately as Mariota.  Loooong way to go...

Again, I never said petty should start.  The point was its not automatic that a system QB needs to sit.  

Oh, and get bent comparing Sanchez to Mariota.   It's not even close.   

There there was quite a few posters here that said if Mariota fell to us he needed to sit a year or more. Well he does not.  As for one game or it's Tampa, well he looked fantastic so I guess we will see. 

Anyone still think Mariota needs to sit for a year before playing?

Looks to me that playing the spread and not taking snaps from under center in college does not mean a darn thing. 

This does not mean Petty can do the same.  Just means it's not automatic that a QB from a spread system has to sit. They can learn, and succeed.  

We should mold his bust in Canton now, clearly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Also means that looking good throwing 16 or so passes against the worst team in football, one game hardly means anything yet 

Of course it means something. No one is enshrining him for Canton but the guy played beyond any expectations, except maybe his mother's. 

Of course it means something. No one is enshrining him for Canton but the guy played beyond any expectations, except maybe his mother's. 

100% agree.  So many people said during the draft process that Winston was more pro ready, was a more natural thrower, and has all the tools to be success in the NFL and Mariota doesnt come from the scheme, doesnt have the footwork, and needs to change his throwing motion.

Come week 1, 1 of those QBs knew how to play to win games in the NFL and one couldn't get out of his own way.

If you read the scouting reports, you'd assume Winston was the one ready to play and Mariota sh*t the bed...but Winston sh*t the bed, as he will do for his entire NFL career coming from the same system that gave us other over-drafted crap like Christian Ponder and EJ Manual...while Mariota glued himself to NFL QBs and the classroom and worked, and works his way to be ready to play. Might he stink the rest of the way?  Sure.  But I wouldn't count it.  He's the good character, hard worker, with a strong desire to be great prospect...Winston has been handed everything (and out of everything) and worked for nothing the last 2 years...and looked like it...

Who was Mariota playing with for talent around him...while on the road...while Winston looked like that with Vincent jackson, Mike Evans, ASJ, and Doug Martin...at home...

it was a message for sure...Winston better get his act together and Mariotta appears on the right track so far...

Archived