Start Petty Next Week. Throw him in the deep end and set him on fire.

CobraVerde

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Werent you saying it is Geno time last week?

Yes but how did you like the fact Geno didnt work with the first team all week in practice Fitz was doing an admirable jo with 12-20 yard passes all of a sudden Geno comes in and we throw a 60 yard pass downfield............thats on the coaches not Geno 

Sweet jesus. If you ever want Petty to have any type of success in this league, you absolutely do not let him play this season, at all. He is in no way ready to handle the NFL game and putting him in now could ruin him, which could set our franchise back even further, if you are assuming he's capable of being a franchise guy. You roll with Geno and whomever they grab to be his backup and continue to let Petty learn. He's just not ready.  

If you act for a moment like today was an aberration due to fatigue and injury, then you see we are Top 5 in the AFC, that we had the Patriots beaten into the 4th quarter a week ago, and we have a favorable schedule.  We have a dominant defense and a dominant running game.

In that context, all we need Bryce Petty to be is a game manager with a bit of zip on the ball on the occasional 3rd and long for the next few weeks.  He doesn't need to be Joe Namath here.  Just has to go 2-2 against some weak teams until Fitzpatrick returns.  He knows our offense, he showed decently in preseason, he's our #3 on the depth chart, there is no reason to bring some has-been off the shelf who hasn't played in the NFL for a year.  The odds are greater that the unknown (Petty) could become something special this year than some known (scrub vet).  Start Bryce against Jacksonville, nothing to lose here, everything to gain.

SAR I

Since draft all we heard from the brainiacs was "cant start oetty. He will get david carr'd. Smart move is to sit him for a year."

now "screw it throw him in there!!!"

panic is a poor decision maker. Fitz hurt non throwing hand. Brace it and shoot it up and send him in whats the big deal?

Yes but how did you like the fact Geno didnt work with the first team all week in practice Fitz was doing an admirable jo with 12-20 yard passes all of a sudden Geno comes in and we throw a 60 yard pass downfield............thats on the coaches not Geno 

I think you missed the point there. I think Geno did alright, but last week you want Geno in than one less than ideal game and you are already crying for Petty.

Agree we do not want to ruin the young QB Petty, and agree he should not play if he is not ready but what if he is ready?

Petty has watched and learned over the last 8 weeks (half of a season) he wants the job and deserves a chance 

Why "save" him if the Jets draft a first round QB next year, for camp competition, to be the best backup ever?

Unless Brees, Kap, Mike or Zack come cheap in a trade I see few more appealing options if Fitz/Geno are out for a few games

I truly find it comical, "Petty isn't ready."  "He needs to sit out 5 years."  "He isn't mature enough."  "He came from a spread college program."  "I watched him play in college", This, That, and another thing.

This is the NFL, and if you don't show you have what it takes now, there is no next year.  

He is almost as old as Geno Smith, and his greatest attribute is his intangibles/leadership ability.  He also didn't get his jaw broken because he was a ******* tool in the locker room.

So what, 90% of College athletes play in a gimmic system.  

Great you watched him tear it up every game, and get taken out at halftime because he already threw for 300 yards and a few touchdowns.  

The fact remains, if Fitz or Smith can't go, he is the only one that has been in the meeting rooms all year, and watching/practicing the playbook all year.  It is foolish to think some scrub, who by the way is available after the 8 week of the season because no one wants them, is going to come in and keep the team in contention.  Besides, week 9 versus the Jacksonville Jaguars with a solid receiving corp and a healthy compliment of running backs, what better situation would you want to put your project QB to make an emergency start.  

The kid was a 4th round pick, and isn't guaranteed to make the roster next year let alone worry about if he is the future.  

Edit:  Wait lets go pick up Flynn because he had a great final preseason game where no starters played.  Jesus ******* Christ.

I truly find it comical, "Petty isn't ready."  "He needs to sit out 5 years."  "He isn't mature enough."  "He came from a spread college program."  "I watched him play in college", This, That, and another thing.

This is the NFL, and if you don't show you have what it takes now, there is no next year.  

He is almost as old as Geno Smith, and his greatest attribute is his intangibles/leadership ability.  He also didn't get his jaw broken because he was a ******* tool in the locker room.

So what, 90% of College athletes play in a gimmic system.  

Great you watched him tear it up every game, and get taken out at halftime because he already threw for 300 yards and a few touchdowns.  

The fact remains, if Fitz or Smith can't go, he is the only one that has been in the meeting rooms all year, and watching/practicing the playbook all year.  It is foolish to think some scrub, who by the way is available after the 8 week of the season because no one wants them, is going to come in and keep the team in contention.  Besides, week 9 versus the Jacksonville Jaguars with a solid receiving corp and a healthy compliment of running backs, what better situation would you want to put your project QB to make an emergency start.  

The kid was a 4th round pick, and isn't guaranteed to make the roster next year let alone worry about if he is the future.  

Edit:  Wait lets go pick up Flynn because he had a great final preseason game where no starters played.  Jesus ******* Christ.

the WR corp and RB's are banged up as is the Center. nobody on this team is healthy

this is hardly an ideal situation for the kid

Then hell we might as well forfeit the entire season. 

Do you live under rock the entire NFL is injured.

Besides, week 9 versus the Jacksonville Jaguars with a solid receiving corp and a healthy compliment of running backs, what better situation would you want to put your project QB to make an emergency start.  

context joe, context

People make it sound like Bryce Petty is a rugby player from Europe trying to be a QB? Didn't he play QB for an American college? I don't think anybody is asking Bowles to start him the rest of the season, we're asking him to win one game vs the Jaguars. I think the team will rally around him for one game. 

Let the defense make up for that sh*t show last week. Lean on the running game & play a punch you in the mouth physical game. I'd rather trot Petty out there than sign Matt Flynn.

People make it sound like Bryce Petty is a rugby player from Europe trying to be a QB? Didn't he play QB for an American college? I don't think anybody is asking Bowles to start him the rest of the season, we're asking him to win one game vs the Jaguars. I think the team will rally around him for one game. 

Let the defense make up for that sh*t show last week. Lean on the running game & play a punch you in the mouth physical game. I'd rather trot Petty out there than sign Matt Flynn.

Petty didn't even look good facing third stringers in preseason.  He was ok at best and at times not good at all.  He isn't ready.  Geno was not bad last Sunday our overrated defense got sh-t on.

Besides, week 9 versus the Jacksonville Jaguars with a solid receiving corp and a healthy compliment of running backs, what better situation would you want to put your project QB to make an emergency start.  

context joe, context

jags have one good WR Allen Robinson who will be covered by Revis.  Marquise Lee is horrible

Who we setting on fire ? Geno ? Ok cool

we set Geno on fire till Petty, who hasn't seen a play book of any kind since high school, has his first game where he throws 2 pick 6s...then we will throw petty into the fire to keep it burning.

the foolishness of fanatics.

If he's ready, or almost ready, put him in. Bunch of 1-read plays and heavy doses of Ivory. If it's predictable then it's predictable. He shouldn't be so terrible he can't even do limited-playbook spot duty for a week, after being coached here for 6 months (the last 2 standing on the sidelines of regular games). 

What's the worst that can happen? He completes 5 of 18 and throws 4 interceptions while getting sacked 7x? Fine. If that happens then he sits for the rest of his rookie season. Or bench him at halftime if he's totally melting out there. Some are being a bit overly dramatic and silly with the "ruined" fears. Serious physical injury aside, a QB doesn't get permanently ruined by playing 1 mid-season game, no matter how badly he performs. If he's so horrid, getting pummeled every other dropback, and they still keep him out there for the rest of the season, that could be a different matter (long-term). But Geno doesn't appear to be so hurt that such a scenario would be necessary anyway. 

If Bowles is saying they think it's even a borderline/maybe call then that's good enough. At some point you have to be reasonable; This isn't week 1 of his rookie season on a last-place team, where all the rest of the players on the offense are still trying to fully figure out their responsibilities and correct errors. If he's so unready and behind where he needs to be, that he can't even start 1 game in November (against Jacksonville's pass defense no less), then he probably isn't going to be ready to start next season either. 

"Everyone knows Petty isn't ready we can't start him under any circumstances his rookie year! We will ruin him! Only idiots would suggest it! Well, unless we are panicking." Panic is a poor strategy.

I don't think it's panic. If he's kinda ready then that's enough to start 1 mid-season game. The #1 reason you would still keep him on the bench right now is the team simply has better options. Well, right now they might not have any better options.

You honestly think there's a serious risk he could get permanently damaged (mentally) by starting 1 spot-duty game in November against the Jaguars? C'mon. 

I don't think it's panic. If he's kinda ready then that's enough to start 1 mid-season game. The #1 reason you would still keep him on the bench right now is the team simply has better options. Well, right now they might not have any better options.

You honestly think there's a serious risk he could get permanently damaged (mentally) by starting 1 spot-duty game in November against the Jaguars? C'mon. 

If you have to grossly misstate my post that's as good as an admission. Thanks.

Archived