Bowles unaware of score?

AFJF

Surprised I hadn't seen this brought up today.  In his post-game presser he was asked why not kick the FG and his reply was odd in two ways.

1) He said they went for the TD because they were down by six and unsure if they'd get the ball back when they were actually down by 5.

2) He said if they had kicked the FG, he wasn't so sure they'd recover the onside kick.  Why would he be thinking onside kick with almost three minutes left, all three TO's and the 2 min warning?

Thoughts?

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Surprised I hadn't seen this brought up today.  In his post-game presser he was asked why not kick the FG and his reply was odd in two ways.

1) He said they went for the TD because they were down by six and unsure if they'd get the ball back when they were actually down by 5.

2) He said if they had kicked the FG, he wasn't so sure they'd recover the onside kick.  Why would he be thinking onside kick with almost three minutes left, all three TO's and the 2 min warning?

Thoughts?

It's more likely he mis-spoke in recounting the events, I'd imagine the guy was holding back quite a bit of emotion during the presser. I highly doubt he didn't know the score... 

As for the onside kick thing... I dunno. It sounds like he needs someone with better situational breakdowns in his ear. 

Thoughts?

The 1st one was not a big deal really, he probable misspoke.  The 2nd one is a big deal, there was tons of time left to kick a FG, get a stop and get the ball back.  3 minutes, 3 to and the 2 min warning is a pretty obvious kick it away decision.

I hope this is it and he's not just a moron.

Would be refreshing after all those years of Rex assuming his vaunted defense will make the stop, and they don't.

i don't think he said it by accident.  i like that he'd rather put the ball in his offense's hands rather than hope the defense makes a stop.  aggressive approach, consistent with going for those 4th downs.

Guys, don't forget, with the decisions to not kick FGs it seems he was more confident in trying to get 1 TD out of his O with a few drives they missed on, then 2 FGs 1 short at the end and 1 other probably a range 40+ yards like he could have tried early in the 4th or all the way at the end of the game as a game winner. He probably figured one of those would be a miss for the kicker. That's what I take out of that. I really wanted to kick the FG early in the 4th taking it down from a 12 point deficit to 9. That was the right move there, but I sensed he didn't trust the kicker in that drive since he called back the FG try and went on 4th. Hopefully this kicker starts getting in the groove and hits some mid range kicks and Bowles starts trusting him. Problem is as they say you don't know who to trust. They trust Smith on Kick returns and in a big spot he fumbled. All I hear is how kickoffs are so infrequent so why spend a roster spot on a guy who mainly specializes in that. Well, Mac and Bowles need to take note of last night's events since as you can see if can contribute greatly to losses with mistakes and bad field position as we have seen all year long. As bad as the punt returns are with Kerley they are pale in comparison to the kickoff issues we have had. If we planned on having players back there like Smith and Stacy as one poster stated I agree with, just concede the touch back every time. The kickers will oblige you since 99.9% of the kicks land somewhere in the endzone now. 

Guys, don't forget, with the decisions to not kick FGs it seems he was more confident in trying to get 1 TD out of his O with a few drives they missed on, then 2 FGs 1 short at the end and 1 other probably a range 40+ yards like he could have tried early in the 4th or all the way at the end of the game as a game winner. He probably figured one of those would be a miss for the kicker. That's what I take out of that. I really wanted to kick the FG early in the 4th taking it down from a 12 point deficit to 9. That was the right move there, but I sensed he didn't trust the kicker in that drive since he called back the FG try and went on 4th. Hopefully this kicker starts getting in the groove and hits some mid range kicks and Bowles starts trusting him. Problem is as they say you don't know who to trust. They trust Smith on Kick returns and in a big spot he fumbled. All I hear is how kickoffs are so infrequent so why spend a roster spot on a guy who mainly specializes in that. Well, Mac and Bowles need to take note of last night's events since as you can see if can contribute greatly to losses with mistakes and bad field position as we have seen all year long. As bad as the punt returns are with Kerley they are pale in comparison to the kickoff issues we have had. If we planned on having players back there like Smith and Stacy as one poster stated I agree with, just concede the touch back every time. The kickers will oblige you since 99.9% of the kicks land somewhere in the endzone now. 

i guess he has more faith in fitz/marshall/decker than in a kicker who has been with the team for only a few days.  just like last week before the half when he tried to run out the clock when folk was out and he didn't want to risk a turnover by trying to get into fg range for quigley

Not going for the 1st FG is the one that boggles my mind a little bit more...He may not have realized the Bills missed the extra point.

There was simply no logic in not taking the 3 (getting within 10) with more than 14 minutes to play. 

Maybe you're right and he didn't know the score.

Wow I didn't catch that , the onside kick comment is beyond disturbing imo, FG there and he's down 2 with 2:30 left and 3 timeouts...against an offense that hadn't moved an inch in 4 drives , who the hell was thinking onside kick there ?...geez he really said that ?

Wow I didn't catch that , the onside kick comment is beyond disturbing imo, FG there and he's down 2 with 2:30 left and 3 timeouts...against an offense that hadn't moved an inch in 4 drives , who the hell was thinking onside kick there ?...geez he really said that ?

I refuse to believe that Bowles PLUS everyone in his headset had it wrong. It just doesn't add up. I would have to hope someone would correct whoever was wrong, even if it was Bowles. 

Holy sh*t... this just keeps getting worse.

I refuse to believe that Bowles PLUS everyone in his headset had it wrong. It just doesn't add up. I would have to hope someone would correct whoever was wrong, even if it was Bowles. 

Holy sh*t... this just keeps getting worse.

lol , I know .....you know I'm not a knee jerk guy, and I won't start now , but if the onside kick comment is true that's concerning .

lol , I know .....you know I'm not a knee jerk guy, and I won't start now , but if the onside kick comment is true that's concerning .

Heard it on FAN this moring and B&C were basically saying the same thing.  "Why in the world is he thinking onside kick"?

I think going for the 4th down at the end, at the 2, that's a reasonable decision.  Not necessarily right, but reasonable.  Either you score, or the Bills get it at the 2, and you have a chance to get it right back.

Not kicking a FG from the 20 was bizarre.  Even if you get a first down there, you still might not punch it in to the end zone - so you might end up just wasting time and still getting just 3.  And if you don't have faith in your new kicker for a 37 yard field goal, then you might as well save a roster spot and have Quigley do the field goal kicking.

Thoughts?

Unsuprising, when the poor decisions, both in terms of FG vs. Go on 4th and use of Timeouts, are looked at as a whole.

If Nick Folk was there they would have kicked all the field goals. This guy Bullock doesn't have the teams' faith (nor should he). 

Then the GM and Head Coach are to blame for not signing someone who can kick routine mid-30 yard NFL Field Goals.

Not having faith in your kicker to kick middle-range FG's is not a legitimate excuse for making poor decisions.

If you think the onside kick idea is crazy then just look at what actually happened in the game. Buffalo held the ball for almost all of the three minutes. If he had gone for the FG on the last fourth down and not done an onside kick then we could have easily ended up with the same result at the end of the game but 20-22.

I think Bowles should have gone for both FG attempts and we would have won the game but he saw how our replacement kicker played and maybe he just didn't have faith.

If Nick Folk was there they would have kicked all the field goals. This guy Bullock doesn't have the teams' faith (nor should he). 

I think is probably a part of it but it shouldn't be.  These are NFL players and you can't go making really suspect decision becasue you don't know a new kicker, folk is not out one game he's out for the year so what do you do next game?  The kicker had already kicked a fg and an extra point.  You can't coach in fear.

It's more likely he mis-spoke in recounting the events, I'd imagine the guy was holding back quite a bit of emotion during the presser. I highly doubt he didn't know the score... 

As for the onside kick thing... I dunno. It sounds like he needs someone with better situational breakdowns in his ear. 

who know maybe Herm can talk Dick Curl out of retirement-I mean Todd (in a dick head voice:Oh sofla-you're such a racist)

i guess he has more faith in fitz/marshall/decker than in a kicker who has been with the team for only a few days.  just like last week before the half when he tried to run out the clock when folk was out and he didn't want to risk a turnover by trying to get into fg range for quigley

Good point about the kicker. I didn't think of it like that.

Then the GM and Head Coach are to blame for not signing someone who can kick routine mid-30 yard NFL Field Goals.

Not having faith in your kicker to kick middle-range FG's is not a legitimate excuse for making poor decisions.

It's not their fault that Folk got hurt mid-season when there are no good kickers to sign off the street.

this coach is worst the Rex ,no hurry up allfa

If you think the onside kick idea is crazy then just look at what actually happened in the game. Buffalo held the ball for almost all of the three minutes. If he had gone for the FG on the last fourth down and not done an onside kick then we could have easily ended up with the same result at the end of the game but 20-22.

I think Bowles should have gone for both FG attempts and we would have won the game but he saw how our replacement kicker played and maybe he just didn't have faith.

The guy kick for Texas he missed key kicks but you half give the guy a shot. This coach is not very smart, if you going to go for it at least pass passed the first down marker

Archived