NFL could see an unusually large number of big-name quarterbacks on the move this offseason ~ ~ ~

kelly

Compared to basketball and baseball, football typically has a pretty underwhelming off-season. Blockbuster trades rarely happen and teams around the league are quick to use their franchise tag or offer a sizeable extension to their best few players in order to prevent them from hitting the open market. As a result, very few key skill-position players ever switch teams.But this off-season could be different, at least when it comes to quarterbacks. With five remaining regular season games left this year, it already feels like an unprecedented number of quarterbacks will be landing in different cities.

Colin Kaepernick will be out in San Francisco ... Peyton Manning may or may not be retiring, meaning Brock Osweiler may or may not be the Broncos quarterback of the future ... Robert Griffin III and Johnny Manziel aren't franchise players for their current teams ... what's going on in Philly?

In short, we could be in for one of the biggest quarterback carousels in recent NFL memory.

Let's take a closer look at the madness, and all the quarterbacks likely to have new homes next season:

Robert Griffin III

RGIII hasn't played a single minute this season and Kirk Cousins is enjoying the best extended play of his career. Each impressive performance from Cousins increases the likelihood that Cousins will get paid and Griffin will get cut after the season.Remember: if Griffin is still on the roster at the start of next season, he is guaranteed $16 million. The 'Skins will try to trade him, but no team will be interested in an injury-prone quarterback, especially one due $16 million.The only scenario in which Griffin could theoretically stay in Washington is if the 'Skins implode down the stretch, Jay Gruden gets fired, and the replacement head coach decides to go with Griffin over Cousins. This seems extremely unlikely, but crazier things have happened — especially to this franchise.

Colin Kaepernick

This one is relatively straightforward. Kaepernick won't be on the 49ers next season, which means San Francisco will be in the market for a new quarterback and Kaepernick will likely land somewhere with similarly meek prospects at the position. The Browns and Texans immediately come to mind, but if Chip Kelly manages to keep his job in Philadelphia, it wouldn't be crazy to see Kaep end up there, either.

Sam Bradford 

Bradford is a free agent at the end of this season and, frankly, who knows where he'll land. He certainly doesn't gel with Chip Kelly, but Kelly's time is likely up in Philadelphia, too. Might Bradford land in San Fran? Houston? Cleveland?

Peyton Manning and Brock Osweiler

If Manning is healthy come the playoffs we could be in for quite the quarterback controversy. Osweiler, meanwhile, will continue to use every week to prove he's a franchise quarterback. A lot is still up in the air in Denver, but don't be so sure about Osweiler just yet. Remember Matt Flynn in Green Bay a few years back? 

Johnny Manziel

Another young, promising quarterback who has basically faded into irrelevancy (at least on the actual football field). Manziel continues to fall out of favor in Cleveland, who are starting Austin Davis over Manziel this weekend — the 24th quarterback the Browns have started since 1999. Many have linked Manziel to the Cowboys, which seems like a fine match because Manziel is from Texas and the Cowboys' current crop of backups have been awful this season. The larger question is what will happen in Cleveland. Will they draft another young quarterback, or try go to after someone cheap — like Griffin or Sam Bradford?

Drew Brees and Sean Peyton to the Rams ... in Los Angeles? 

Brees is 36 and will earn $19.75 million next season. With Sean Peyton almost certainly leaving in the off-season, teams will try to poach Brees away, too. The Jets and Eagles are both reportedly interested in making a play for him, but the most intriguing scenario, at least currently, is that Peyton becomes head coach of the Rams and brings Drew Brees with him — to Los Angeles, no less. 

Other teams to keep an eye on...

• The Dolphins and Tannehill are not in a happy place at the moment, but it looks like it'll stay that way at least for one more season. 
  • The Texans — who have one more year of Brian Hoyer but could try to upgrade with a trade or by drafting a franchise quarterback.
  • The  :wub: Jets — remember when this was supposed to be Geno Smith's big year? Is that next year? What about Fitzpatrick? 
  • The Browns — see above. As of right now, there's no quarterback the Cleveland front office isn't considering.

All in all, the offseason could be quite unlike anything we've seen in the NFL for quite some time.  

>     http://finance.yahoo.com/news/nfl-could-see-unusually-large-195003269.html

I'd consider Kaep but wouldn't give up much (if he's part of a trade) and wouldn't take him if we had to pay his insane salary/years.  Basically if we could get him for reasonably cheap and not be tied for too long, I'd be willing to give him a shot. 

I'd consider Kaep but wouldn't give up much (if he's part of a trade) and wouldn't take him if we had to pay his insane salary/years.  Basically if we could get him for reasonably cheap and not be tied for too long, I'd be willing to give him a shot. 

The Jets are paying a friggn' CB $16MM per year.

But you don't want to spend money on the most important position on the field?

No mention of Stafford.. I assume for obvious reasons.

Because he's not going anywhere?

He's going to get cut. Only way you bring him in is if you don't think Petty is the goods and Geno gets cut. If you think Petty has it, you don't bring in someone to stunt the growth. You stick with a Fitz like hold the fort player until he could be ready. 

None of the QBs in the article, even Brees, inspires any confidence. 

We're overpaying Revis but CB is a very important position and we signed an all-time great. Obviously CB is nowhere near as important as QB but I'm just saying I wouldn't want to commit big $$ and years to a guy like Kaep.  I'd rather lose games and get a higher draft pick that we could use to try to draft a franchise QB.  I'd be fine if the Jets want to trade up for a QB too (I don't follow college much but I hear Connor Cook is supposed to be very good).

He's going to get cut. Only way you bring him in is if you don't think Petty is the goods and Geno gets cut. If you think Petty has it, you don't bring in someone to stunt the growth. You stick with a Fitz like hold the fort player until he could be ready. 

I personally think we can win a super bowl with someone like Stafford. he is at the most a 2nd tier QB and he is only 27. We have a way better pass protecting Oline than Detriot. Add in Marshall, Decker and Devin Smith into his 2nd year. I like the odds of being a contender.

I personally think we can win a super bowl with someone like Stafford. he is at the most a 2nd tier QB and he is only 27. We have a way better pass protecting Oline than Detriot. Add in Marshall, Decker and Devin Smith into his 2nd year. I like the odds of being a contender.

Probably. Don't know why Detroit moves him though. Unless they're completely rebuilding and even then he's only 27 as you say. Very turnover prone though. 

Other teams to keep an eye on...

• The Dolphins and Tannehill are not in a happy place at the moment, but it looks like it'll stay that way at least for one more season. 
  • The Texans — who have one more year of Brian Hoyer but could try to upgrade with a trade or by drafting a franchise quarterback.
  • The  :wub: Jets — remember when this was supposed to be Geno Smith's big year? Is that next year? What about Fitzpatrick? 
  • The Browns — see above. As of right now, there's no quarterback the Cleveland front office isn't considering.

All in all, the offseason could be quite unlike anything we've seen in the NFL for quite some time.  

>     http://finance.yahoo.com/news/nfl-could-see-unusually-large-195003269.html

The only people who thought this was "Geno Smith's big year" were clueless national media and out-of-town fans who follow the team at an arm's length.

I really didn't like Stafford thought he was overblown and IMO an underachiever....

But guess what?

Since they got rid of the staff and have had him throwing high percentage passes, he would be a steal.  He has been just great these last few weeks..... Better than I have ever seen.....

So yea I was definitely wrong about this guy.... 

Archie Manning might be better than Peyton at this point.  Only guys worth considering are Brees and Osweiller IMO.  I guess if Kaep is willing to sign for close to nothing then it couldn't hurt.  

They're paying a sure-fire HOFer who is still top 5 at his position $16 million. 

Are you saying a totally sh*tty QB like Keapernick should be paid more, or even similar, to a HOF CB? Or is this just another piss poor attempt at trolling?

I really didn't like Stafford thought he was overblown and IMO an underachiever....

But guess what?

Since they got rid of the staff and have had him throwing high percentage passes, he would be a steal.  He has been just great these last few weeks..... Better than I have ever seen.....

he just passed Bart Star for all time passing yards. Absolute steal. We need to give them a sweet deal though. 2nd round this year and 5th next? We need something. Because if he gets to the open market we may not be able to outbid teams. We need a trade.

Yahoo finance is pretty much where I go get all my NFL news.

I dont know, I think it's bad all around when it comes to reporting. I was on a fantasy site today that said Julius Thomas would have a good game because Cecil Shorts might be out. Huh? They're not even on the same team? 

I haven't seen brees play this year, but the stats are pretty solid.

just don't see him taking less than 17 million and the jets would have to gut the defense to squeeze him in, so are you actually any better ?

ummummmm yes. Maybe  you haven noticed but trying to win with defense in today's nfl really doesn't work. Ok, you can't play defense optional like the saints do, but you need to have a powerful offense. A strong offense requires a very goodecent qb. There is no way around it. Need a qb. Need a qb. Need a qb. Need a qb. Need a qb. Keep repeating that to yourself when you wonder if weakening the defense at all is worth getting a great qb. You are, without a doubt, much better with a slightly weaker defense and a much better qb. 

Which one of these guys would be an improvement for us?  Brees maybe?  But do we really want to start over with a 36 year old guy who is already on his way down?

brees maybe? ? Lol. Brees is so much better than Fitzpatrick that it's not even worth discussing. Its like asking what's faster a Ferrari or a corolla 

They're paying a sure-fire HOFer who is still top 5 at his position $16 million. 

Are you saying a totally sh*tty QB like Keapernick should be paid more, or even similar, to a HOF CB? Or is this just another piss poor attempt at trolling?

he's trolling. He is rright that we need a qb, but kaepernick is not the guy to spend much of your cap on

ummummmm yes. Maybe  you haven noticed but trying to win with defense in today's nfl really doesn't work. Ok, you can't play defense optional like the saints do, but you need to have a powerful offense. A strong offense requires a very goodecent qb. There is no way around it. Need a qb. Need a qb. Need a qb. Need a qb. Need a qb. Keep repeating that to yourself when you wonder if weakening the defense at all is worth getting a great qb. You are, without a doubt, much better with a slightly weaker defense and a much better qb. 

yeah but he's old.  we tried that with favre

slightly weaker ?

lol

Just say no to a 36yo Brees.  I'm thankful Mac is in charge.  I'm confident he'll figure out the right move.

But guess what?

Not that familiar with Stafford but with our OL we'll need a QB with a quick release.  That is one of several reasons why Fitz has done so well here.  Does Stafford fit?

Not that familiar with Stafford but with our OL we'll need a QB with a quick release.  That is one of several reasons why Fitz has done so well here.  Does Stafford fit?

He didn't really use a quick release until now and it caused him to make stupid mistakes IMO. 

Now that he is getting rid of the ball faster he has been a monster. 

Everyone one of these QB's (Except for Brees) I would not touch with 10 foot pole.

I would take Fitz over every one of those QB's including Brees. Brees will be 38 years old and without a stable of RB's who can catch the football he would be worthless here.

Probably. Don't know why Detroit moves him though. Unless they're completely rebuilding and even then he's only 27 as you say. Very turnover prone though. 

He's not turnover prone at all.

For all the passing he does, the yardage he throws for, the most INTs hes thrown in the last 6 seasons is 19.  The most he threw was 20 in his rookie year.  He's a 15 a year type while playing wide open in Detroit

Archived