Trevor Reilly Says Coughlin Decision was "So Stupid"

AFJF

I like Reilly, and I really hope this is something that was taken out of context.  

From the post.

http://nypost.com/2015/12/06/giants-epic-collapse-gifts-jets-ot-win-in-thrilling-showdown/

If the Jets make the playoffs, they may have Tom Coughlin to thank for it.

The Giants coach made a boneheaded fourth-quarter decision that helped the Jets overcome a 10-point deficit on their way to a 23-20 overtime win. The Jets’ comeback was set up Tom Coughlin’s brutal decision to go for it on fourth down instead of kicking a field goal midway through the fourth quarter and was completed when Josh Brown’s 48-yard field-goal attempt in overtime sailed wide left.

It was the first time the Jets beat their crosstown rivals in the regular season since 1993. After the game, Jets coach Todd Bowles awarded the game ball to owner Woody Johnson, who celebrated by doing “The Dab.”

Coughlin went for it on fourth-and-2 from the Jets’ 4-yard-line with 8:50 remaining despite the Jets’ limited success before that. It backfired when Eli Manning threw an interception to Jets backup safety Rontez Miles to end the 17-play drive.

“It was stupid, so stupid,” Jets linebacker Trevor Reilly said. “You kick the field goal there. I mean, you’re winning by 10 points in the fourth quarter. If they kick the field goal we’re down two touchdowns. When they went for it we were like, ‘Shoot, we got it now.’ ”

The Jets turned the Miles’ interception into a field goal and then score a game-tying touchdown with 27 seconds left to force overtime, where they won the game on a Randy Bullock field goal.

The Jets turned the Miles’ interception into a field goal — when they would have needed a touchdown to stay in the game if the Giants had kicked the short field goal — and then scored a game-tying touchdown with 27 seconds left to force overtime. After the game, Coughlin defended the decision.

“Didn’t finish, had opportunities,” he said. “As I mentioned, I went for it on fourth-and-2 thinking that that would certainly give, after the long drive and the amount of time used up in the drive, I thought that that was the play at the time. I still do. Obviously we didn’t score there, we had an interception there. They drove, kicked a field goal and then we didn’t do anything with the ball again.”

Coughlin bristled when it was pointed out that it would have been safer to just go up 13.

“Well, yeah make them score two touchdowns to beat you, but by that same token, if we scored there and fourth-and-2, then we push the score up to where maybe they can’t beat us with whatever,” Coughlin said. “So we’re up 17. I stand by it.”

Quarterback Ryan Fitzpatrick played his best game as a Jet, going 36-for-50 for 390 yards and two touchdowns with no turnovers. He showed tremendous poise down the stretch, even scrambling for a first down on fourth-and-6 on the game-tying drive. He hit Brandon Marshall for a 9-yard touchdown to tie things at 20-20 with 27 seconds left.

“That dude, he makes my job so easy,” Fitzpatrick said. “ basically just threw it up and said, ‘Brandon, go make a play.’ It’s not easy to do, but he makes it look easy.”

In overtime, Fitzpatrick marched the team down the field, converting two huge third downs to Eric Decker and setting up kicker Randy Bullock’s 31-yard field goal. The Giants got the ball back with a chance to either win the game with a touchdown or tie it, but Brown missed his first field goal of the season, sending the Jets into a celebration and the Giants into despair.

This is the fourth time this season the Giants blew a double-digit lead in the second half.

“We shouldn’t have had to put him in that position,” Giants offensive lineman Justin Pugh said. “We should have been able to score some points in the second half. We’ve got to do a better job of that. We’ve got to get back and thank God our division is in the position it’s in because [if] Dallas beats the Redskins [Monday], we’re still tied for first place. So I’ll be cheering for Dallas hard [Monday]. That’s for damn sure.”

At 5-7, the Giants are tied with the Eagles, who they already lost to once, and waiting to see what the 5-6 Redskins do against the Cowboys. This loss does not dash their playoff hopes, but it certainly damages them.

The 7-5 Jets, on the other hand, are now in control of their playoff lives. They are tied with the Chiefs, to whom they would lose a tiebreaker, making them the sixth seed. For Fitzpatrick, who has never been to the playoffs, this was the first time he has won seven games as a starter.

“This late in the year, I’ve never really been in this situation in terms of where we’re sitting at as a team, a type of win like that,” Fitzpatrick said. “Other than Christmas, December’s never really a fun time for me. This is a good one. We’ll definitely enjoy this one tonight.”

The Jets have fallen short in the fourth quarter in several games this season. On Sunday, they showed the poise to pull off the comeback.

“We really needed a win like this,’’ said Marshall, who had 12 catches for 131 yards and the touchdown. “Man, it seems like all of our losses were in games like this where we fell behind. This showed that this team has a lot of fight and a lot of pride and is willing to get the job done — by any means.’’

To be fair, we should have been up 4 anyways, but JPP was swinging his club around like Bigfoot's dick and we had to take the FG in the first.

Excellent point!!!  That clown was hitting everyone of our OLine in the head with that club.  I

thought the "head slap" was outlawed years ago.  He should've been penalized at least 5 times

from what I saw

I don't see any problem. He's absolutely right

I think maybe just the choice of words could be considered disrespectful. Reilly is correct but could have said it better I think. 

Small potatoes over all but I think it's possible Bowles has a talk with him about this. 

To be fair, we should have been up 4 anyways, but JPP was swinging his club around like Bigfoot's dick and we had to take the FG in the first.

The league is going to have to look into that, lol. It is a weapon.

the giants were talking epic trash all day

**** them

I mean yeah, pretty much this.  All I listened to this week was my team getting sh*t on by another team and their fan base that play us one time every 4 years. Bowles will probably talk to Reilly but I'm not exactly crying over a "lack of respect" for Papa Tom. 

The league is going to have to look into that, lol. It is a weapon.

In the 1970s Conrad Dobler of the Cardinals had such a cast on a broken hand and kept it on well after it healed until the NFL stepped in.It's been 6 months, the fingers aren't there, if he wants to wear a glove, fine. But he shouldn't get to wear Carl Weathers' prosthetic hand from Happy Gilmore wrapped in a cast to beat OL guys about the body.

He is right but stfu.   God I hate all of the sh*t talking.   Wasn't he the reason we should have lost with the penalty on the punt?

I'm not sure what you're talking about but Reilly wasn't called for any penalties today. And I doubt he was trying to disrespect anyone. Further, I doubt Tom Coughlin is worried about what Reilly says. He should be worried about his current job status. 

Look at what veteran CB Prince Amukamara said: "We just believe in each other and just -- take it up another level," Amukamara said. "Why we're not finishing in the second half? I couldn't tell you. That's the coach's job. I mean, of course, I have my opinion but I'm not going to share it with you."

Coughlin getting trashed on all sides. Giants fans are blaming it all on Coughlin.

He is right but stfu.   God I hate all of the sh*t talking.   Wasn't he the reason we should have lost with the penalty on the punt?

Pretty sure that was Rontez Miles but I could be wrong.

Excellent point!!!  That clown was hitting everyone of our OLine in the head with that club.  I

thought the "head slap" was outlawed years ago.  He should've been penalized at least 5 times

from what I saw

Just like against the Pats our D-line Is being blatantly held in just about every game we play. Too many times yesterday I saw Giants lineman with head locks on our guys. Its starting to get stupid. I know there are probably holding calls on every play blah blah blah but the obvious ones need to start getting called.

I have seen more holding calls on running plays and much less on passing plays because this stupid ass league is so caught up in protecting all the glamour boy QB's and putting up points they are starting to ruin the game. If this trend keeps up what's the point of spending big cash on D-lineman when we can put that money to better use signing occupiers and spending the big money on fast LB's

BTW the Jets won this game due to adjustments to shut down Odell Beckum in the second half. Without Beckum the Giants are total garbage. The Giants are Special teams and OBJ and how ironic they lost the game on a sh*tty kick when Coughlin said they would win due to an advantage in ST.

I'm not sure what you're talking about but Reilly wasn't called for any penalties today. And I doubt he was trying to disrespect anyone. Further, I doubt Tom Coughlin is worried about what Reilly says. He should be worried about his current job status. 

All he really had to say, if he had to say anything, was that they were surprised at his call.  Tom is losing his good judgment on the field.

They had an 8-10 minute drive down the field, moving the ball on almost every play and Coughlin went with momentum, the announcers and fans seems to like the call, until it did not work... 

Bowles made the same call vs the Bills, that play was the game and the team has to execute, interestingly the result was the same...

how does Eli get off the hook?

Yeah but no fine or games off for JPP because no place ion the rule book does it say you can't hit the opposing players in the head with bigfoots dick.  Or does it?

They had an 8-10 minute drive down the field, moving the ball on almost every play and Coughlin went with momentum, the announcers and fans seems to like the call, until it did not work... 

Bowles made the same call vs the Bills, that play was the game and the team has to execute, interestingly the result was the same...

how does Eli get off the hook?

Eli did not play well, that doesnt excuse the fact that Coughlin sh1t in his pants which might be the dumbest decision I have ever seen(outside of clemson punter idiocy and the hiring of Hermie 2 times)

it wasn't the greatest decision but if we are down 13 our mindset is different in the RZ and we don't settle for 3 to pull w/in 7 and maybe we win in regulation?  the bottom line is after that decision we made plays and NYG did not.

If Todd Bowles made that decison, He would be put in a wood chipper Fargo style. Awful decision, add to the fact that the jets use up more time to get 1st td.

If Todd Bowles made that decison, He would be put in a wood chipper Fargo style. Awful decision, add to the fact that the jets use up more time to get 1st td.

Coughlin is being bashed for it too and he has 2 SBs which Bowles does not.  It wasn't a good decision but we outplayed them down the stretch.  that decision was not the difference in the game.

Archived