....Jets still pretenders.

Shadetree

Hey, KRL, jet Nut, or whoever  else feels the need to lump me in with the always whining aboutwinning   crowd...I'm not part of that crowd..I do bring pessimism quite often, granted, but don't start telling me I'm gonna whine about what going on with the current, positive, direction of the franchise..I've made it clear that I'm happy about that.

you guys want to celebrate for 12 months for beating a sh1tty giants team? Go right ahead...I tell you they haven't shown me enough to get excited about and I'm being "dopey" and negative for negatives sake? Blow me.

Maybe you didn't catch the "pessimistic azzhole" part in my first sentence? 

Because I don't have 4000 posts, I can't share the way I see things? I've been posting here for long enough to complain. I've certainly been posting long enough for regulars to know I'm always posting with more than a little humorous pessimism. 

iMO, the 2015-16 Jets are a disappointment because they fvcked up 3-4 games they should have won. Those losses might cost them a playoff spot. I don't have a right to be pissed in 15-16 because they sucked in 14-15? Oh, should I give them a fvck ing participation trophy, too? 

...and I'm supposed to be lumped in with complainers!?!? I ain't complaining, I'm pissed. I reserve that fvck ing right without some doosh nozzles calling me "negative for negatives sake" or "dopey" or "same ol jets fan"

YES. Because that's the natural way of progression. 

You are complaining because you can't see the big picture concerning the makeup of this team. This team was never going to go on a deep run or win the Super Bowl. The object of this season is get young talent out there and develop them, AS WELL AS, compete because New Yorkers can't handle the word "rebuild".

And who the **** said to give them a participation trophy? 

You can have your own opinion, as long as you can back it up with facts.

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's obvious to me that Jets fans can't handle being happy. And letting it go.

They beat the Giants in a thrilling game on Sunday. They are 7-5 after going 4-12 last year. And yet Jets fans have to qualify this by going to "Oh they haven't beaten a winning team."

Who gives a sh*t? Who cares?

It's the same with Fitzpatrick, especially after this week. "The Giants defense is awful"....

WHO CARES?

Hey, KRL, jet Nut, or whoever  else feels the need to lump me in with the always whining aboutwinning   crowd...I'm not part of that crowd..I do bring pessimism quite often, granted, but don't start telling me I'm gonna whine about what going on with the current, positive, direction of the franchise..I've made it clear that I'm happy about that.

you guys want to celebrate for 12 months for beating a sh1tty giants team? Go right ahead...I tell you they haven't shown me enough to get excited about and I'm being "dopey" and negative for negatives sake? Blow me.

Maybe you didn't catch the "pessimistic azzhole" part in my first sentence? 

Because I don't have 4000 posts, I can't share the way I see things? I've been posting here for long enough to complain. I've certainly been posting long enough for regulars to know I'm always posting with more than a little humorous pessimism. 

iMO, the 2015-16 Jets are a disappointment because they fvcked up 3-4 games they should have won. Those losses might cost them a playoff spot. I don't have a right to be pissed in 15-16 because they sucked in 14-15? Oh, should I give them a fvck ing participation trophy, too? 

...and I'm supposed to be lumped in with complainers!?!? I ain't complaining, I'm pissed. I reserve that fvck ing right without some doosh nozzles calling me "negative for negatives sake" or "dopey" or "same ol jets fan"

I'm happy you are happy.  Yet I think we should probably wait to see if we make the playoffs before we start blowing one another. 

This is based on what?  He is signed for 2 more years at very reasonable numbers and he is our best offensive player.  He is one of the safest guys on the team to be back next year.

Based on the fact he said the Jets will be his last team and he keeps thanking the cleaning staff for stuff.  Good as gone in 2016.

That Houston loss really hurt. Our main competition for a playoff spot might be KC - and they have 3 extremely winnable games coming up: Chargers, Ravens and Browns. Our schedule is not as easy, with the Patriots at home and a trip to Buffalo in week 17. Both teams could conceivably finish 10-6 and KC would win on tie-breaker. Gotta hope the Steelers lose 2 of their next 4 - which is possible, but their offense is playing lights out at the moment.

The pessimistic dude is right, the Jets need to win out. 3-1 won't really do it.

Play around with different scenarios here: http://espn.go.com/nfl/playoffs/machine

I have:

1st seed: NE 13-3, Cincy 13-3, Denver 12-4, Houston 9-7, Pittsburgh 11-5, KC 10-6 with us missing out finishing 10-6

You know, I get the pessimism.  But I believe that in the Jets 2 best seasons, 68 and 69 they only beat 1 team in the regular season that ended up with a winning record.

So, I'll enjoy the ride, and if they get hot at the right time, maybe they can make the playoffs and make a little noise.

That's not true in 1968 alone they beat the 12-2 Chiefs and 9-5 Chargers and lost in the last minute to the 12-2 Raiders in the Heidi game..  When the Fins went unbeaten in 1972 just 2 of those teams had winning records both 8-6 the Chiefs and Giants..

That Houston loss really hurt. Our main competition for a playoff spot might be KC - and they have 3 extremely winnable games coming up: Chargers, Ravens and Browns. Our schedule is not as easy, with the Patriots at home and a trip to Buffalo in week 17. Both teams could conceivably finish 10-6 and KC would win on tie-breaker. Gotta hope the Steelers lose 2 of their next 4 - which is possible, but their offense is playing lights out at the moment.

The pessimistic dude is right, the Jets need to win out. 3-1 won't really do it.

Play around with different scenarios here: http://espn.go.com/nfl/playoffs/machine

I have:

1st seed: NE 13-3, Cincy 13-3, Denver 12-4, Houston 9-7, Pittsburgh 11-5, KC 10-6 with us missing out finishing 10-6

Hard to see KC losing another ... yes, they've 3 extremely winnable games, but they finish the season with Oakland at home - the same team they just beat on the road who still had play off hopes (but won't come Week 17).

I'd argue Pitt are our bigger rivals, and the Oakland game could be the decider against us on tie breakers (% record in common games).

But I agree that out of KC, Pitt and us, we are the lest likely to qualify. Pitt have a brutal two week stint coming up, but we have to take care of our own business first and foremost.

Hi guys, Pessimistic azzhole here.

Now that everyone has had 24 hrs to enjoy the victory, let's face it, this team doesn't make it to the dance. 

They gotta go 4-0 the rest of the way and that ain't happening. 

-again, disappointing OL play.

-again, the pass rush against a weak line was "eh"

Those two aspects of our team will be our undoing. The schedule says 3-1, at best, and 10-6 will leave us vastly improved over last year, but on the outside looking in this year.

Super Bowl Dance ? I agree

Playoff Dance ? Disagree

I think if you ask everyone on this board, probably 99.5 percent of them would say this team is not going to the Super Bowl. Very rarely do 4-12 teams have that kind of turnaround ? 

When the Jets lost to the Bears in 2002, I remember going on JI and thanking the Jets for ruining my birthday. They had blown it my mind. The run they were on had  come to an end and that there was no way they were going to make the playoffs. I remember that after someone figured out what it would it take to still get in that the scenario was so wild that there was no way. Off the top of my head I think it was 

New England losing to Tennessee on MNF the following night

New England losing to the Jets the following week

New England beating Miami the final week and the Jets beating Green Bay

And for whatever reason the Browns vs Atlanta game was in that mix I think

No shot....right ? 

Well as we know I was wrong. They did manage to get in.

That is why this league is such a week to week sport.Things change constantly. A team you would think would win suddenly loses. Guys get hurt, teams just start playing badly. 

Maybe the Giants win last week is the springboard that catapults this team into a memorable playoff run ? I have seen two so-so Giants teams go on two improbable runs to Super Bowl trophies. I have seen a 2014- 3-8-1 Carolina Panthers team go on a run that didn't lead to a Super Bowl last year but now has them as an undefeated Super Bowl Favorite out of the NFC.

Things happen....Maybe the Jets go on a run, maybe they don't. One thing is for sure though, I won't make the mistake of leaving the bar early like I did last week in total disgust when the Jets gave up the PI penalty giving the Giants first and goal at the 5. 

Just take it a game at a time and lets see what happens. If they get in GREAT !!!! If they don't at least they have made themselves watchable and actually enjoyable again for the time since late 2011.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000598293/article/chiefs-seahawks-contenders-steelers-falcons-pretenders

New York Jets (7-5, second in AFC East): The Jets control their own destiny, which is the best thing one can say about their playoff hopes. If they win three of their remaining games -- which include matchups with Tennessee, Dallas, New England and Buffalo -- they will have no problem making the postseason. If they only win two, it will be a different story. New England and Buffalo both have already beaten the Jets, and each should have plenty to play for at the end of the season. However, the Jetsare riding the emotions that came out of their 23-20 overtime win over the Giants last Sunday. There's also something hard to define about this team that makes it worth believing in at this time of year. Maybe it's the toughness quarterback Ryan Fitzpatrick displayed in playing through a thumb injury on his left hand. It could be the collective balance in this bunch, as the Jets rank in the top 10 in both total offense and defense. Whatever it is, it just feels like the Jets have fought hard enough to catch some breaks down the stretch. FINAL VERDICT: CONTENDER

I dispute the "control our destiny" assertion - if we win out, we can still miss out, so we don't. But the writer believes the Steelers have little chance (labelled them pretenders), hence the belief that we'll be in with a 3-1 record down the stretch.

FINAL VERDICT: CONTENDER

Just in case that got missed the first time. :D

• 3 weeks later...

I ain't complaining, I'm pissed. I reserve that fvck ing right without some doosh nozzles calling me "negative for negatives sake" or "dopey" or "same ol jets fan"

So just to be clear, you reserve the right to free expression of YOUR opinion, but you deny other the right to free expression of THEIR opinions on your opinion.

Got it. 

Bottom line....WHO CARES?

In August 2015, we were coming off a 4-12 year, had a new HC/GM and staff. We had 3 new playbooks, Off/Def/SpecTeams. We had a journeyman Vet QB and a 'cant read progressions' young QB who scrambles backwards after his primary WR is covered.

What did we really expect 2015 would be?

Rebuilding, for sure. So if one wants to call us pretenders of worst playoff contention team, again, who cares, LOL

This season has shown us, we at least have a HC w/good possibilities, a GM who so far has rebuilt the team with not 'madden name guys' but players who fit scheme (Fitz knew playbook w/Chan form Bills years)

So even if we lose 36-3 Sunday and miss playoffs, this has been  a positive year in terms of long term health of franchise. Do we have holes? Sure, but Rome not built in a season ;) Meaningful games in late December wasnt on my ming in Aug 2015, yet here we are.

I think we are close to being a perennial playoff contending team barring strings of distaster injuries, more Sheldon suspensions etc etc. No one can predict that type of crap. But hopefully Petty is answer in 2017 or so or if not Mac will get us a QB to replace Fitz in year or so. Mac will get us more talent for Off Line and maybe a scatback. I'd also like to see a Punt returner. Kerley a Jet forever in my heart and he never fumbles, but we NEED a PR who can get return yards on punts enhancing our starting field position (especially w/this defense, aka, as Tuna said 'win the game by continually shrinking the field')

Bottom line....WHO CARES?

In August 2015, we were coming off a 4-12 year, had a new HC/GM and staff. We had 3 new playbooks, Off/Def/SpecTeams. We had a journeyman Vet QB and a 'cant read progressions' young QB who scrambles backwards after his primary WR is covered.

What did we really expect 2015 would be?

Rebuilding, for sure. So if one wants to call us pretenders of worst playoff contention team, again, who cares, LOL

This season has shown us, we at least have a HC w/good possibilities, a GM who so far has rebuilt the team with not 'madden name guys' but players who fit scheme (Fitz knew playbook w/Chan form Bills years)

So even if we lose 36-3 Sunday and miss playoffs, this has been  a positive year in terms of long term health of franchise. Do we have holes? Sure, but Rome not built in a season ;) Meaningful games in late December wasnt on my ming in Aug 2015, yet here we are.

I think we are close to being a perennial playoff contending team barring strings of distaster injuries, more Sheldon suspensions etc etc. No one can predict that type of crap. But hopefully Petty is answer in 2017 or so or if not Mac will get us a QB to replace Fitz in year or so. Mac will get us more talent for Off Line and maybe a scatback. I'd also like to see a Punt returner. Kerley a Jet forever in my heart and he never fumbles, but we NEED a PR who can get return yards on punts enhancing our starting field position (especially w/this defense, aka, as Tuna said 'win the game by continually shrinking the field')

Losing this Sunday to a team that we are superior to will make the season a disappointment to me other than that the FO and CS seems to be set for a bit. The schedule has been too easy. With Fitz having a career year and surrounded by the rest of our talent, small victories such as comparing our record to last season doesn't cut it for me.

We simply cannot lose to yet another team that we should beat.....especially with our play-off lines on the line.  I've enjoyed the past month but this is a win now roster for the most part and we need to put the SOJ syndrome to bed by winning a game we should and must win.

Losing this Sunday to a team that we are superior to will make the season a disappointment to me other than that the FO and CS seems to be set for a bit. The schedule has been too easy. With Fitz having a career year and surrounded by the rest of our talent, small victories such as comparing our record to last season doesn't cut it for me.

We simply cannot lose to yet another team that we should beat.....especially with our play-off lines on the line.  I've enjoyed the past month but this is a win now roster for the most part and we need to put the SOJ syndrome to bed by winning a game we should and must win.

I agree with both; this year has been a success 10 wins, playoff contention, new attitude and professionalism - things looking good moving forward.  But, if we have really left the SOJ behind us, we have have to show up prepared, play a full game, and not get caught in a trap game.  Anything can happen on a Sunday, but if we show up flat or get blown out it shows that we haven't come as far as we thought.  Good teams with the playoffs on the line beat mediocre/bad teams with nothing but my coach wants revenge; With Rex we could have a trap game and back into the playoffs, but if we want to be a good team, this is a game you show up for...

agree to disagree. I will be sad we lost but everything points to a healthier future then what we've had in  along time. We are superior but very tuf playing teams with nothing to lose. They do trick plays, go for it on 4th and 20, fake FGs/punts, onside kickoffs at odd times, all kinds of whacky stuff..  Expect the arsenal from Rex as he is a narcissist and sees this game as Rex vs the guys who fired me, instead of Bills vs Jets.

But I consider 2015 a success already in terms of Jets future, no matter what happens Sunday. Like I said, agree to disagree :)

Hi guys, Pessimistic azzhole here.

Now that everyone has had 24 hrs to enjoy the victory, let's face it, this team doesn't make it to the dance. 

They gotta go 4-0 the rest of the way and that ain't happening. 

-again, disappointing OL play.

-again, the pass rush against a weak line was "eh"

Those two aspects of our team will be our undoing. The schedule says 3-1, at best, and 10-6 will leave us vastly improved over last year, but on the outside looking in this year.

Even back then I was hopeful because I saw a team that reacted differently to wins and losses. Under Rex a win made them satisfied and the next week they played like warm doo doo. They are a level headed squad now under the professional Todd Bowles and will rise to the occasion and kick Rex's Bills in the a$$.

I addressed this thread in the "I take it all back" thread that was started by someone else..I wish I could cut and paste what I wrote in that thread but I'm on my phone ..

ill paraphrase...this team has thoroughly impressed me with their resilience and leadership, and I'm excited about the future.

So just to be clear, you reserve the right to free expression of YOUR opinion, but you deny other the right to free expression of THEIR opinions on your opinion.

Got it. 

I prefer they do it without name-calling...disagreeing with me is great, it's kinda the point of a message board. I get amped up at derogatory name-calling, not disagreeing.

Archived