Specials

- Shock of shocks, Quigley shanks one putting BUF in scoring range

- Bullock missing a FG

- Nothing as usual from Kerley

Coaching

- Ryanesque wasting of time outs when we didn't have the right defensive
personnel on the field

- If the DLine isn't getting pressure, shouldn't we have flooded the field
with DB's to take away the dink & dunk passes? 

Painful failure because the AFC is wide open but we'll never get the opportunity
to see what we could've done.  Even though we improved by six games this year
a 10-6 record is disappointing  

NFL playoff spots are earned not given and every phase of this team
(offense, defense, specials & coaching) came up small today.  Therefore
we "earned" the right to go home:

If playoff spots are earned then the Texans wouldnt be going because they didnt have 1 of the 6 best records in the AFC, they played in a terrible ass division. However, with our play today we did earn a plane ticket back to the city, and for the fact that we even lost the the Texans it hurts even more that we'll be sitting home 10-6 while watching a 9-7 team that actually beat us playiing in the tournament. 

If the NFL is going to continue to guarantee winners of their division a spot then they need to mix teams up every season. Its bullsh*t that you can miss the playoffs with 10/11 wins just because its a requirement that a team that wins their division make it. 

Thats not earning it and it takes away from playing the schedule you were given. Win your games and make the tournament. Thats the way it should be. 

And let's make note of how little fire the Jets showed. Buffalo was more fired up than the Jets and all they had to play for was a .500 record. I like Todd Bowles, but I question his ability to fire the team up. He has a lot of different skills than Rex, but in one game Rex can fire a team up like no other. I can't believe what I saw from a team that was fighting to make the playoffs.

If playoff spots are earned then the Texans wouldnt be going because they didnt have 1 of the 6 best records in the AFC, they played in a terrible ass division. However, with our play today we did earn a plane ticket back to the city, and for the fact that we even lost the the Texans it hurts even more that we'll be sitting home 10-6 while watching a 9-7 team that actually beat us playiing in the tournament. 

If the NFL is going to continue to guarantee winners of their division a spot then they need to mix teams up every season. Its bullsh*t that you can miss the playoffs with 10/11 wins just because its a requirement that a team that wins their division make it. 

Thats not earning it and it takes away from playing the schedule you were given. Win your games and make the tournament. Thats the way it should be. 

it sucks when your team doesn't get in, but from a business sense the playoff structure makes sense. The NFL can't allow every team in one division to not make the playoffs. It would mean that football in an entire region would become meaningless in bad divisions (such as the AFC South and NFC East). That's bad for business. 

Ridley being the prime go to RB in a game that mattered the most is on theJets coaching staff and organization there are guys on the street 10x better than Ridley. 

Who?

New England just signed Steven Jackson FFS. 

NFL playoff spots are earned not given and every phase of this team
(offense, defense, specials & coaching) came up small today.  Therefore
we "earned" the right to go home:

Offense

- Slow start

- Drops all over the place

- Decker stepping out of bounds that overturned a first down catch on the
first drive of the game

- Ridley running like he had a piano on his back

- OLine having key breakdowns on two of Fitzpatrick INT's

- In FG range Fitzpatrick forcing that throw to Decker for an INT

- Even though I want Ivory & Powell back, they are ALWAYS nicked up
when we need them most

- Only getting a FG when we finally got a turnover

Defense

- Awful 3rd down defense

- Never challenging the dink & dunk passes to Watkins that continued
drives

- No pressure that allowed Taylor to be comfortable all day

Specials

- Shock of shocks, Quigley shanks one putting BUF in scoring range

- Bullock missing a FG

- Nothing as usual from Kerley

Coaching

- Ryanesque wasting of time outs when we didn't have the right defensive
personnel on the field

- If the DLine isn't getting pressure, shouldn't we have flooded the field
with DB's to take away the dink & dunk passes? 

Painful failure because the AFC is wide open but we'll never get the opportunity
to see what we could've done.  Even though we improved by six games this year
a 10-6 record is disappointing  

Agree with your breakdown almost 100%. Two question marks and they are minor. Could Decker fought harder for position or the ball on th intersection and yes Quigly shanking that punt. Wind was a factor he tried to boom it if he line drives it out kicks coverage Bills get a nice return still end up with good field position not as good but still good.

sorry , disagree with you on this one.

i like the rivalries & it helps fuel my hatred of the other teams in our division.

S*cks that we're getting the shaft because of it this year ... But in general I think it's a good thing

Coaching lost today.  2 designs from coaching and we win.

double cover Watkins

dont allow Fitz to throw more than 10 to 15 yards

Those  2 simple things and IMO we win and we played poorly. 

we played poorly but were 3 and out so often and when we needed 6 threw deep.

it sucks when your team doesn't get in, but from a business sense the playoff structure makes sense. The NFL can't allow every team in one division to not make the playoffs. It would mean that football in an entire region would become meaningless in bad divisions (such as the AFC South and NFC East). That's bad for business. 

It works perfectly fine in the NBA, and though the NBA may not be as big as the NFL in the states I dont think the NFL can touch the NBA on an international business stage. 

sorry , disagree with you on this one.

i like the rivalries & it helps fuel my hatred of the other teams in our division.

S*cks that we're getting the shaft because of it this year ... But in general I think it's a good thing

Im less concerned about hatred of other teams when my team is sitting home with a better record than a team im about to see in the playoffs next week. 

It works perfectly fine in the NBA, and though the NBA may not be as big as the NFL in the states I dont think the NFL can touch the NBA on an international business stage. 

I'm with you. I'm really for anything that makes me less interested in the NFL today, though. 

I'm with you. I'm really for anything that makes me less interested in the NFL today, though. 

I feel you. The NFL is the only sport that I watch during the season. I peek in to see every once in a while just to watch highlights of certain NBA players, but I couldnt tell you the last time I sat down and watched an entire game of a sport that wasnt the NFL. 

Poor play in both halves in all 3 phases of the game. Fitz choked in the 4th. 3 picks in the last quarter is intolerable.

overall a very good season for the NYJ. A few tweaks here and there and we can contend for a Division Title. 

Back to Macc to retool for next season.

Many I'm not gonna name players figure it out Powell injured and out they knew it all week Ivory the same and we go into todays big game with Ridley as our key RB 

No, I asked you a question. You can either give me an answer or continue to look silly. Who would you have signed off the street this week that would have been a better option than Ridley? 

No, I asked you a question. You can either give me an answer or continue to look silly. Who would you have signed off the street this week that would have been a better option than Ridley? 

Im not really sure maybe Knowshon Moreno or a RB off someones practice squad I dont know all the guys available how about anyone. 

Looking silly was what Bowles and Jets did today with the RB position 

Ridley being the prime go to RB in a game that mattered the most is on theJets coaching staff and organization there are guys on the street 10x better than Ridley. 

Who?

Nevermind, I see this has already been covered and you've offered nothing. As usual.

This actually doesn't feel SOJ to me though it's a bitter pill to swallow.  We gained 6 games with a roster that experienced an enormous turnover with a rookie HC and journeyman QB.

The Jets ruined the season with an awful mid season 4/5 losing stretch which included losing to guys like TJ Yates and the Oakland Raiders.  We lost to Rex Ryan twice this year.  At some point you just have to be good for the whole season.  You have to be 12-4 or 13-3 at some point. 

I didn't expect that to be this season.  I'm proud of Fitzy and the team.  Fitz was awesome for us but has a very definite ceiling, which was painfully displayed everytime Bowles ran out the clock in two minute type situations near the ends of the first halves of games. 

I'm fine with Fitz being the QB of this team for the next two years. 

For the first time QB is not the biggest problem facing this team in the offseason. 

I agree, but some posters on here want him drawn and quartered. It's silly and short sighted.

I really hate that argument. Schedules in the NFL are UNBALANCED. Period. 8 wins for one team can actually be stronger than 11 for another if they play in a touch division and pull the tough divisions in the AFC or NFC. Obviously not always true, but # of wins does not 100% track with quality of team. Winning your division SHOULD matter, and the fans of that team should be rewarded with a home game. Our schedule is BRUTAL next year. 8 wins by this team would likely mean we are actually a better team than we were this year. 

I'm fine with Fitz being the QB of this team for the next two years. 

For the first time QB is not the biggest problem facing this team in the offseason. 

I'm not. I was all in this season, but him starting past this season is a bad plan. Period.

Fitz didn't play well today and has his limitations.  That being said, the whole team laid an egg.

Without Fitz, doubt we wouldn't have a worse record than the Bills.  Great season.  Five game winning streak. Just didn't have enough; but with as crappy as he/they played; I actually thought after the first 2 INTs we were going to pull the win out.  Drop by Thomkins (or great play by DB); if that play changes by inches we win this game and live to fight another day.

F**k Rex; we had better crush him 2 times next year.

I really hate that argument. Schedules in the NFL are UNBALANCED. Period. 8 wins for one team can actually be stronger than 11 for another if they play in a touch division and pull the tough divisions in the AFC or NFC. Obviously not always true, but # of wins does not 100% track with quality of team. Winning your division SHOULD matter, and the fans of that team should be rewarded with a home game. Our schedule is BRUTAL next year. 8 wins by this team would likely mean we are actually a better team than we were this year. 

I hate the fact that you hate the argument. sure, the NFL schedule is unbalanced, not every team plays every other team in the league in 1 season. But the most important stat should be your win/loss record, not a division that you have no say in. 

I hate the argument of saying that winning your division matters when a 7-9 team can win their division and some 10 or 11 win team has to stay home because of it. Given the lack of games, winning a game in the NFL is like going on a 5 game winning streak in the NBA. It'll be a damn shame to see an NBA team make the playoffs because they won their division while a team that won 20 more games than them has to sit home because they just so happened not to be in such a slapdick division. 

I hate the fact that you hate the argument. sure, the NFL schedule is unbalanced, not every team plays every other team in the league in 1 season. But the most important stat should be your win/loss record, not a division that you have no say in. 

I hate the argument of saying that winning your division matters when a 7-9 team can win their division and some 10 or 11 win team has to stay home because of it. Given the lack of games, winning a game in the NFL is like going on a 5 game winning streak in the NBA. It'll be a damn shame to see an NBA team make the playoffs because they won their division while a team that won 20 more games than them has to sit home because they just so happened not to be in such a slapdick division. 

So what's your solution? 2 16-team conferences? Everyone plays against each other once for a 15-game schedule? That's pretty much the only solution. 

So what's your solution? 2 16-team conferences? Everyone plays against each other once for a 15-game schedule? That's pretty much the only solution. 

I would say that if the NFL requires every winner of the division to make the playoffs then they need to extend the participants from 6 teams to 8 teams per conference and eliminate the playoff bye. 

If they dont want to add teams or eliminate the playoff bye then they should change how the 6 teams are qualified. Im not saying that winning your division isnt important, but I dont think that winning your division should guarantee you anything but a division championship and a tiebreaker. 

It seems like every year either some team gets burned and doesnt make the playoffs because another team in the same conference gets into the playoffs specifically because they won their division with a worst record, or you see a playoff game where the team with the better record is playing on the road against a team with a worse record but happened to win their division. 

And if that doesnt happen, then you have the "seeding" problem. Perfect example, we beat the Colts this year and had a better record than them but I remember the Colts being the 5th seed and the Jets being the 6th seed, not because the Colts had a better record, not because the Colts beat the Jets, but because they're "losing record" wasnt as bad as their division rivals. 

So not only can you get in with a poor record but you can actually have a better chance than a team with a better record but didnt win their division to actually get a home game. The division should only matter in terms of the playoffs when there is a tie like what happened in 2012 as I will show below.

Recent examples of the "division" dilemma. It literally happens every year. 

2014 Panthers: 7-8 record. Eagles missed the playoffs with a 10-6 record simply because the Panthers won their division.

2013 Packers: 8-7 record. Cardinals missed the playoffs with a 10-6 record because the Pack won their division.

2012 Redskins: 10-6 record. The Bears missed the playoffs with 10-6 record because the Redskins won their division. (This is the only time I can understand the division working in favor).

2011 Broncos: 8-8 record. The Titans missed the playoffs with a 9-7 record because the Broncos won their division. 

I would say that if the NFL requires every winner of the division to make the playoffs then they need to extend the participants from 6 teams to 8 teams per conference and eliminate the playoff bye. 

If they dont want to add teams or eliminate the playoff bye then they should change how the 6 teams are qualified. Im not saying that winning your division isnt important, but I dont think that winning your division should guarantee you anything but a division championship and a tiebreaker. 

It seems like every year either some team gets burned and doesnt make the playoffs because another team in the same conference gets into the playoffs specifically because they won their division with a worst record, or you see a playoff game where the team with the better record is playing on the road against a team with a worse record but happened to win their division. 

And if that doesnt happen, then you have the "seeding" problem. Perfect example, we beat the Colts this year and had a better record than them but I remember the Colts being the 5th seed and the Jets being the 6th seed, not because the Colts had a better record, not because the Colts beat the Jets, but because they're "losing record" wasnt as bad as their division rivals. 

So not only can you get in with a poor record but you can actually have a better chance than a team with a better record but didnt win their division to actually get a home game. The division should only matter in terms of the playoffs when there is a tie like what happened in 2012 as I will show below.

Recent examples of the "division" dilemma. It literally happens every year. 

2014 Panthers: 7-8 record. Eagles missed the playoffs with a 10-6 record simply because the Panthers won their division.

2013 Packers: 8-7 record. Cardinals missed the playoffs with a 10-6 record because the Pack won their division.

2012 Redskins: 10-6 record. The Bears missed the playoffs with 10-6 record because the Redskins won their division. (This is the only time I can understand the division working in favor).

2011 Broncos: 8-8 record. The Titans missed the playoffs with a 9-7 record because the Broncos won their division. 

winning division deserves a playoff spot, getting home field is another matter.

Archived