Big Patriots trade - Chandler jones to arizona

Raideraholic

Actually, I agree with you on this.  It does make sense to get some value now while you can.  Still, I'm glad he's no longer on the Pats.  He was a menace and a very good player.  So enjoy your late 2nd round pick.  And new mediocre guard.  At least you got something for him.  And the rest of the AFCE doesn't have to deal with Chandler Jones any more.

win-win.

And I actually agree with your post.

If the Pats thought Jones had a place in their future, they would have already signed him to a long term contract before letting him hit FA.

Yes, he is a very good player, but don't under estimate his dumb stunt prior to the playoff game. I think that helped the Pats make this decision.

At least they got something in return instead of nothing.

I wish Jones well in Arizona.

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, PatsFanTX said:

If the Pats thought Jones had a place in their future, they would have already signed him to a long term contract before letting him hit FA.

Yes, he is a very good player, but don't under estimate his dumb stunt prior to the playoff game. I think that helped the Pats make this decision.

So Tex what do you think the Jets could get for Mo??:)

So Tex what do you think the Jets could get for Mo??

Unfortunately, I don't think there is a team out there that will trade for Mo without a long term contract in place.

Jets are in a tough position with Mo.

Let him play out the season and then leave as a FA or try and work out a trade to at least get something in return.

Obviously, he is a great player.

18 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

The Pats with a HOF QB at his prime went 9 years without winning one in part due to this philosophy.  Do you keep your team reasonably stocked with talent long term doing this?  Yes but you also potentially lose out on the big prize becasue you are not quite good enough when it counts.  The Pats used to be ahead of the game when it came time to make moves but lately they have been behind the times.  (not solidifying the oline before hand, still have some weak receivers for brady, no, run out the game when leading RB.)

That all sounds fine in theory, but if Von Miller tears his ACL instead of Dion Lewis, Patriots are in the SB again this year.  The Patriots' top 53 players were plenty good this year, but you can't stockpile an extra 10-20 quality players in reserve just in case injuries pile up, no matter how good you are at team-building.  

Whoever our QB is should have a full 7 seconds to scan the field this year when we play the Pats. Ninkovich a year older, no Chandler Jones, Hightower & Collins won't be able to play on the line with our WRs & Forte coming out of the backfield. This is a huge win for the Jets offense. Our QB....hmmm, Marshall, Decker, Enunwa, Amaro or Forte? Where to throw, where to throw. That's another NY Jets 1st down!

29 minutes ago, PatsFanTX said:

Damn, Jets fans are funny.

You laughed your ass off when the Pats traded away Lawyer Milloy, Richard Seymour and Logan Mankins.

All the Pats did was proceed to win multiple Super Bowl titles.

And who the hell wants a player who smokes synthetic weed a week before a playoff game?

This is another great move by BB and the Pats.

Lol. So the Pats trade a pass rusher who bagged 12.5 sacks last year (36 over four years) for a bust guard that'll cost them $4M in the final year of his rookie deal and a late second rounder - and it's a "great move"? 

Yeah, Jets fans are funny. 

Lol. So the Pats trade a pass rusher who bagged 12.5 sacks last year (36 over four years) for a bust guard that'll cost them $4M in the final year of his rookie deal and a late second rounder - and it's a "great move"? 

Yeah, Jets fans are funny. 

What did the Jets get for the best run-stuffing NT in the NFL?

Oh yea, absolutely nothing.

1 minute ago, PatsFanTX said:

Never made a Pro Bowl or All Pro. You and a lot of other people are overvaluing him.

Plus we getting a comp pick. So your original troll job was in error. 

Amazing that I have to keep cleaning up after your errors.

1 minute ago, PatsFanTX said:

Changing the subject is fun. Doesn't change the fact that your team traded a stud pass rusher for a bust at guard. 

6 minutes ago, Il Mostro said:

Say what you want, the Pats know when to cut bait.   

Jeff Bridges' accent in The Vanishing is one of the three worst I have ever seen in film.  Dan Hedaya in Commando and Don Cheadle in Oceans 11 are the other two.

Also receiving votes:  Robin Williams in Good Will Hunting.  

This was a good trade by the Patriots as usual.  They always win in these things in the long run even though it seems weird to fans at first.

Chandler Jones was leaving next year no matter what, as they would not have been able to pay him,Hightower and Collins together.    Since he was in the last year of his contract he was worth about a 2 and a 3.  The Patriots got a 2 and a player who is basically worth a 3, as well as dumping salary.  You can pretty much bet they are now going to sign Chris Long as well.

Short term loss, but long term win.  

12 minutes ago, AFCEastFan said:

That all sounds fine in theory, but if Von Miller tears his ACL instead of Dion Lewis, Patriots are in the SB again this year.  The Patriots' top 53 players were plenty good this year, but you can't stockpile an extra 10-20 quality players in reserve just in case injuries pile up, no matter how good you are at team-building.  

If Fitzpatrick was tom brady the jets may have won the super bowl.  The point is that if you always shed these guys a year early rather than a year late (which I am often in favor of) you risk missing that guys impact plays the next year,  now on a rebuilding team this is not a terrible thing.  On a team riding the back end of the career of a hof Qb you need to go for it as often as possible. 

It can be a touch of hubris to think that you can always plug in the next guy and get the same level of performance.

1 hour ago, jett said:

He's not terrible at drafting by any means, but a lot of those guys are over the course of like 15 years. I could list probably that many good players for  a lot of teams. 

Sure of course you are right but the myth that BB is horrible at drafting is a myth fans love to perpetuate. 

To be fair he is prob in the top 3rd over his HC career.

Gotta give the devil his due................bastid

13 minutes ago, PatsFanTX said:

2 down run stuffing d-lineman who gets a bloated contract or Pro Bowl caliber pass rusher still on his rookie contract?  You have me sold now... definitely.

14 minutes ago, Kleckineau said:

Sure of course you are right but the myth that BB is horrible at drafting is a myth fans love to perpetuate. 

To be fair he is prob in the top 3rd over his HC career.

Gotta give the devil his due................bastid

Yes I would definitely say top 3rd as well. 

Have to call you on this TX, you've completely flipflopped as all you Patsies always do...

The days leading up to the game you were calling the synthetic weed arrest a non-issue and no big deal and bragging how it wouldn't affect the patriots in the game which they LOST...

And now you're calling Jet fans funny.

Lets be real, this is a big setback for the Pats, they have now lost their best defensive player...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

41 minutes ago, PatsFanTX said:

Didn't change the subject at all.

The Pats got something in return instead of absolutely nothing at all.

Lol of course you did. The subject here is the Pats trading one of the league's better pass rushers for an expensive bust of an offensive guard, but you'd rather discuss some random free agent signing. Understandable, but still changing the subject. 

On subject, you expect Cooper and a late second rounder to replace Jones' production? Think the Pats are better this year and going forward as a result?

2 hours ago, PFSIKH said:

Not all teams have a former Jets' employee as commissioner.

LOL.... yeah the same guy who colluded with the organized crime family that is the New England Patriots in order to destroy evidence during Spygate.  

That dog does not hunt.

Time for the league to force Kraft to sell.  Conduct detrimental to humanity.

pretty dumb trade for the cheatahs*

the key to success is passer rating differential.  on the one hand they may have given brady better protection, but then they lose pass rush on the other end

why did they need a high pick ?

Losing Chandler Jones weakens the 2016 patriots. Tom Brady will get old at some point. Their window is closing and they should be keeping their talent for the short term rather than trading it for the 60th overall pick. 

This is good for us.

itll help them resign Collins and Butler but it lowers their chances of winning the SB next year.

Archived