Brian Hoyer to Jets ?

kelly

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, carlito1171 said:

Yup all of the Fitzy fanboys fail to acknowledge how great a situation Gailey, Marshall and Decker made our offense for any QB to step in an compete on the field....

Hoyer and McCown will have you screaming for Geno by week 2.  They are losers.

2 minutes ago, carlito1171 said:

Yup all of the Fitzy fanboys fail to acknowledge how great a situation Gailey, Marshall and Decker made our offense for any QB to step in an compete on the field....

I do believe that many posters here confuse being a Fitzy fan boy to not wanting to ever see Geno take another snap.  I could care less if Fitz comes back, as long as Geno is not the choice, then I care.

A lot depends on how much a person actually sees this list of medium to low end starters and this by all admission creates a bias from a small sample size.  I've seen good and bad from Fitzpatrick, he was mostly good last year and I actually enjoyed watching our offense for the 1st time in years rather than cringing.  McCown looked very good in chicago and could be good under gailey.  As for Hoyer, I must be very unlucky when watching him because despite some decent stats at times every time I've watched him he looks fing terrible.

Fitz, Mccown, Hoyer in that order for me if it is limited to these three.

Just now, Beerfish said:

A lot depends on how much a person actually sees this list of medium to low end starters and this by all admission creates a bias from a small sample size.  I've seen good and bad from Fitzpatrick, he was mostly good last year and I actually enjoyed watching our offense for the 1st time in years rather than cringing.  McCown looked very good in chicago and could be good under gailey.  As for Hoyer, I must be very unlucky when watching him because despite some decent stats at times every time I've watched him he looks fing terrible.

Fitz, Mccown, Hoyer in that order for me if it is limited to these three.

Brian Hoyer is gay

McCown sucks

I despise Geno Smith, but would rather go with him than Hoyer.  This is stupid.  If you guys are right that "any QB can do well in this system", then Geno, who actually knows the system, would be the preferred choice to another equally sh*tty option.  Hoyer may be cheaper than Fitz, but if we want to go cheap at QB for a year, no option would be cheaper than Geno himself.

Fitzpatrick >>> Hoyer no matter how much people want to say they're the same guy.  Fitz has been productive for 3 straight years, in 3 different systems.  Hoyer cannot say the same thing.  He was cast aside by the Browns and Texans, two teams with gaping holes at QB like us.  Fitz, at the very least, is a capable starter who the Super Bowl champion Broncos are considering at the right price. 

1 hour ago, joewilly12 said:

NFL.com's Ian Rapoport reports the Texans and Brian Hoyer are "headed for a divorce."

Per Rapsheet, "both sides sound OK with a fresh start." The Texans have tried to claim this wasn't the case, but it's been the obvious endgame since they lavished $72 million on Brock Osweiler. Due $5.25 million in the final year of his contract, Hoyer can likely be acquired for a day-three draft pick. His status may not be resolved until Ryan Fitzpatrick and Colin Kaepernick know their 2016 fates.

The ONLY way Mac offers a pick would be if it was a conditional 7th in 2017.

Like Fitz compensation this yr., Hoyer 7th can upgrade to a 6th in 2017 if he hits certain performance criteria.

No way Mac gives up a pick this yr. 

This is the preferred order of QB's to be our Week 1 starter, IMO, among the realistic options available to us:

1.  Bryce Petty (if he's ready, awesome news!)

2.  Ryan Fitzpatrick

3.  Josh McCown (only if acquired for no more than a 7th rounder, or picked up after being cut)

4.  Mike Glennon (only if acquired for no more than a 4th rounder, MAYBE a 3rd)

5.  Geno Smith

6.  Brian Hoyer (or any other trash heap guy, like a Charlie Whitehurst...in this case they're interchangeable)

7.  Rookie

2-6 are all stop-gap types with possibly the exception of Glennon, with the 7th option on the list being a guy who sees the field at some point in 2016, but hopefully not Week 1.

34 minutes ago, Dcat said:

agreed.  It was the most informative thing I have read to date about Fitzpatrick and I am convinced that the Jets should not spend more than market for him, which should be about $ 7 million.  Frankly, I'd rather move forward .  I am leaning more and more towards a trade up. But I value the QB position a lot more highly than many here.

Agree wholeheartedly on Fitz, and I suspect that's where Mac is, too. If Denver decides to up their offer to him in lieu of the free agent QB drought, I suspect that Mac will just let him go. If Denver goes in a different direction, Fitz has to start worrying about the Jets lowering their offer or going in another direction themselves.

As for valuing the QB position around here, though, I don't see a lot of people who don't place a major premium on it. When it comes to trading up, that's more about the value you place on individual prospects. If they think Goff or Wentz is the guy, and can get a deal done with Mo as a major bargaining chip, they should do it. I doubt there'd be many complaints. 

10 minutes ago, sourceworx said:

Geno is better than Hoyer. And that's saying something. 

Pass.

He's not better, but he is the better option, because he's cheaper and knows the system.  It would be redundant adding another terrible QB like Hoyer, which would make it a terrible move.  Would be almost as bad as when we signed Michael Vick.  That signing alone made me lose all interest in football that Jets season.  Hoyer would do something similar.

11 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

This is the preferred order of QB's to be our Week 1 starter, IMO, among the realistic options available to us:

1.  Bryce Petty (if he's ready, awesome news!)

2.  Ryan Fitzpatrick

3.  Josh McCown (only if acquired for no more than a 7th rounder, or picked up after being cut)

4.  Mike Glennon (only if acquired for no more than a 4th rounder, MAYBE a 3rd)

5.  Geno Smith

6.  Brian Hoyer (or any other trash heap guy, like a Charlie Whitehurst...in this case they're interchangeable)

7.  Rookie

2-6 are all stop-gap types with possibly the exception of Glennon, with the 7th option on the list being a guy who sees the field at some point in 2016, but hopefully not Week 1.

Glennon is the only QB I'd give up a draft pick for. 

51 minutes ago, Dcat said:

agreed.  It was the most informative thing I have read to date about Fitzpatrick and I am convinced that the Jets should not spend more than market for him, which should be about $ 7 million.  Frankly, I'd rather move forward .  I am leaning more and more towards a trade up. But I value the QB position a lot more highly than many here.

The problem is that market for him is more than 7 million whether anyone wishes it or not based on his play last year, and what the market is actually paying for QB's.  I do not disagree that we should not over pay for him and 7 or 8 mill is about the number we should be content with but saying his market number is 7 million is simply not the case, like it or not.

1 minute ago, Jetsfan80 said:

He's not better, but he is the better option, because he's cheaper and knows the system.  It would be redundant adding another terrible QB like Hoyer, which would make it a terrible move.  Would be almost as bad as when we signed Michael Vick.  That signing alone made me lose all interest in football that Jets season.  Hoyer would do something similar.

I think he's better than Hoyer.

That doesn't mean I think Geno is good. It means I think Hoyer is that bad.

1 minute ago, Beerfish said:

The problem is that market for him is more than 7 million whether anyone wishes it or not based on his play last year, and what the market is actually paying for QB's.  I do not disagree that we should not over pay for him and 7 or 8 mill is about the number we should be content with but saying his market number is 7 million is simply not the case, like it or not.

It must be pretty close, because I don't see anyone in the marketplace offering him much -if anything- more. 

2 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

right now the market number for him is whatever his best outstanding offer is.  It matters not what Osweiler, Bradford and even Chase Daniels and others have got. 

1 minute ago, sourceworx said:

I think he's better than Hoyer.

That doesn't mean I think Geno is good. It means I think Hoyer is that bad.

I hear ya.  Both are on the same "tier" of QB's.  No matter what team they play for or system they play in, they'll be lousy. Turnover machine-type QB's just can never be "fixed" by a system or by better weapons.  Maybe it masks their flaws for a few games every year, but eventually they break your heart. 

9 minutes ago, Dcat said:

right now the market number for him is whatever his best outstanding offer is.  It matters not what Osweiler, Bradford and even Chase Daniels and others have got. 

Thats why there is no deal right?  If his market was for sure 7 million and that is what the jets were offering then he would have signed.  Osweiler, bradford and Daniels does 100% for sure affect the market.  If owleier was signed for 10, bradford for 8 and daniels for 5 then fitz would be signed by now.

1 hour ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

So what's your alternative to Fitz? Who is the QB savior of the New York Jets?

Everybody has their flavor, but I think the best band aid is Geno. Been in house, knows the system by now, has a good supporting cast. My preference is trying and packaging up Mo and our first into the 6-7 spot for Goff. Baltimore and SF are typical movers. Balt isn't so flush with cap space, but who knows.

So you would have Geno running the show for a year or less with a good supporting cast, with Goff waiting in the wings. All other options are a bigger bandaid.

1 minute ago, The Engineer said:

Everybody has their flavor, but I think the best band aid is Geno. Been in house, knows the system by now, has a good supporting cast. My preference is trying and packaging up Mo and our first into the 6-7 spot for Goff. Baltimore and SF are typical movers. Balt isn't so flush with cap space, but who knows.

So you would have Geno running the show for a year or less with a good supporting cast, with Goff waiting in the wings. All other options are a bigger bandaid.

I like the move up concept but I would have a hard time stomaching Geno.  It's not even the fact that he makes errors in games it is how and when that makes me want to claw my eyes out.  If he is the guy I'll still hope he does well and cheer for the team but I feel the front office has him as a dead last resort.

Fitz, McCown, Hoyer, where does it end???  Retread veteran QB's that no one wants isn't the short or long term solution of this team.  Fitz coming back is the best option, simply because he knows the system.  If his price tag is too high, then pass on him and the rest of the veteran stiffs and start Petty or draft a QB and start him. Considering these placeholder type QB's is a strong indication (to me) that 1 - the Jets have no faith in Geno Smith and 2 - they are willing to punt the season. If that's the case, at least lets see what Petty, or a 1st round QB has to offer.

26 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Remember guys, as much as we talk about how Fitz looked great because he had Brandon Marshall, Brian Hoyer was a complete failure even though he had DeAndre Hopkins to throw to.  You know, the guy that made Darrelle Revis look like Kyle Wilson. 

How was he a complete failure? He had 19 TDs to 7 int ratio with a 91 QB rating.  He did not play well in the playoff game, but his stats were similar to Fitzpatrick's last season in Texas.

32 minutes ago, The Engineer said:

I dont see us getting that High with MO, we would have to give up more than MO.

Archived