Expect the Jets to try to move up for Paxton Lynch

Shockwave

At this point its safe to say that Goff and Wentz are going 1 and 2. Rams traded up IMO for Goff, and Cleveland will either take a QB or trade to someone that will take Wentz.  Also at this point I couldn't be more disgusted with the middle round QB's that will be taken high like Connor Cook, Hackenburg and Prescott. These guys had major issues in college and project to be the next Christian Ponders, Kellen Clemens, and Geno Smith. Why even waste the pick at that point?

That leaves Philadelphia, SF, and the Jets to Fight for Paxton Lynch.  This is a guy with the mobility and arm to play in NY. I think he has the most upside of any of the top 3 and we just so happen to have the best OC and talent to maximize that talent. 

With Philadelphia, and SF both picking 7/8 its pretty damn obvious Jax/Baltimore are the target here. The Jets reportedly made an offer for the number 1 pick so they are already thinking trade up. Expect the Jets to be talking to Jacksonville and Baltimore aggressively. While we don't have the ammo to move up to 2 ( 2600) - Moving up to the 6th pick might only cost us our first, second, and mid round next year OR our First/Mo/Low pick.  

• Replies 280
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm not sure what the Jets would do, since Goff/Wentz seem to be off the table now.  I wouldn't move up for Lynch besides a couple of spots, and even that is debatable.  I just can't seem to like Lynch past his size/arm similar to Brock Osweiller with the Broncos.  He sat around doing nothing for 3 years, and looked mediocre last year.   Lynch to me is a project, and I'd rather take a project later in the draft than early on because he looks the part.  I guess the Vlad Duccasse pick still haunts me with projects early.  

5 minutes ago, New York Mick said:

Why the **** would they need to move up to get him? 

Because he probably wont be there.

The top 2 QB's will almost certainly be gone in the first two picks. Lynch has a long way to go as the top QB left before getting to us.

19 minutes ago, New York Mick said:

Why the **** would they need to move up to get him? 

10 minutes ago, Irish Jet said:

Because he probably wont be there.

The top 2 QB's will almost certainly be gone in the first two picks. Lynch has a long way to go as the top QB left before getting to us.

Then draft Connor Cook if you want a QB. 

18 minutes ago, win4ever said:

I'm not sure what the Jets would do, since Goff/Wentz seem to be off the table now.  I wouldn't move up for Lynch besides a couple of spots, and even that is debatable.  I just can't seem to like Lynch past his size/arm similar to Brock Osweiller with the Broncos.  He sat around doing nothing for 3 years, and looked mediocre last year.   Lynch to me is a project, and I'd rather take a project later in the draft than early on because he looks the part.  I guess the Vlad Duccasse pick still haunts me with projects early.  

Alot of these QB's are projects as its rare to have one in a Pro System. 

I dare anyone that actually watched his Pro Day to say there is a better QB fit for this team. Check the below Vids....Thats the Wind our QB must deal with. Once drafted Lynch will be known as one of the Elite arm's in the NFL and has a great deep ball by just about all scouts reports. Will he be a Elite QB? Who knows. But Theres no better fit for us this year.

Here's his Pro Day in 30-40 MPH wind.  Note the 70 yard throw that hits his WR hands perfectly. This is an all weather QB. 

4 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

Then draft Connor Cook if you want a QB. 

Which would be absolutely retarded if we prefer Lynch, who is seemingly held in much higher regard throughout the league.

QB isn't a position you draft for the hell of it, not in the first round at least. 

3 minutes ago, Irish Jet said:

Which would be absolutely retarded if we prefer Lynch, who is seemingly held in much higher regard throughout the league.

QB isn't a position you draft for the hell of it, not in the first round at least. 

I didnt know that you draft any position for the hell of it. But what you're saying is just as retarded if I use your own logic. IF the Jets hold Wentz/Goff in higher regard than Lynch then drafting Lynch would be equivalent to "drafting for the hell of it". 

Why on Earth is it every year everybody has to say get a quarterback for the first round pick, get a quarterback for the first round pick, get a quarterback for the first round...

No one is taking into account every year is that there are ether positions that have stronger needs than that of quarterback . Yes, offense is what puts points on the board but you need defense in order to get to the Superbowl. We need a linebacker this year.

On mock draft my own mock draft, I traded off our 20th pick for the 15th pick in the draft , just so we can get Leonard Floyd. He will be the best player available at 15 and based on the draft value chart a trade with the Rams would only cost us our pick, this year's 4th and next year's 3rd.

In other words, we cannot afford to move higher than 14th in the draft or we have to guarantee our first, second and third round pick this year, just to take a player.

Sent from my LG-V410 using Tapatalk

1 minute ago, Villain The Foe said:

I didnt know that you draft any position for the hell of it. But what you're saying is just as retarded if I use your own logic. IF the Jets hold Wentz/Goff in higher regard than Lynch then drafting Lynch would be equivalent to "drafting for the hell of it". 

Goff and Wentz are unattainable without blowing up the franchise. I wouldn't have been against trading up for them if we liked them.

I don't even like Lynch and if we like Cook then I have no problem with us taking him either. My point is if we do think he's worth trading up for then we obviously like him a lot - It would be retarded for us to sit and wait simply because Cook might be available later on. 

2 minutes ago, Irish Jet said:

Goff and Wentz are unattainable without blowing up the franchise. I wouldn't have been against trading up for them if we liked them.

I don't even like Lynch and if we like Cook then I have no problem with us taking him either. My point is if we do think he's worth trading up for then we obviously like him a lot - It would be retarded for us to sit and wait simply because Cook might be available later on. 

IF you have to move up for Lynch then he could also be considered "unattainable". Besides, if you REALLY believe in Goff/Wentz then you can trade 6 picks like the Rams did to make sure that you get one of the two QB's. 

In otherwords, your comment was just over the top. 

4 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

Bold prediction there Cotton. Let's see how it works out for him.

Lynch is in NJ with Mac and Bowles as we speak. 

QB prospect Lynch visiting with Jets today

Posted by Chris Brown on April 14, 2016 – 1:47 pm

Widespread reports have Memphis quarterback prospect Paxton Lynch visiting with the New York Jets at their Fairlawn, New Jersey facility today.

Lynch is widely rated as the third-best quarterback in the draft class with one of the highest ceilings knowing he’s far from a finished product. His value is largely based on a projection as to where he could be in three or four years time.

The Jets interest in Lynch makes sense. They are still far from a resolution with free agent starting quarterback Ryan Fitzpatrick and speculation has already begun in New York that the Jets may take a quarterback in the draft to replace Fitzpatrick if the two sides cannot broker a new agreement. Of course they did draft a quarterback last year in Bryce Petty in the fourth round and have former second round pick Geno Smith still on the roster.

New York picks 20th overall in round one, just one pick after Buffalo. The Bills demonstrated a measure of interest in Lynch as offensive coordinator Greg Roman and offensive assistant Chris Palmer attended Lynch’s pro day and had dinner with him the night before in Memphis.

43 minutes ago, Shockwave said:

At this point its safe to say that Goff and Wentz are going 1 and 2. Rams traded up IMO for Goff, and Cleveland will either take a QB or trade to someone that will take Wentz.  Also at this point I couldn't be more disgusted with the middle round QB's that will be taken high like Connor Cook, Hackenburg and Prescott. These guys had major issues in college and project to be the next Christian Ponders, Kellen Clemens, and Geno Smith. Why even waste the pick at that point?

That leaves Philadelphia, SF, and the Jets to Fight for Paxton Lynch.  This is a guy with the mobility and arm to play in NY. I think he has the most upside of any of the top 3 and we just so happen to have the best OC and talent to maximize that talent. 

With Philadelphia, and SF both picking 7/8 its pretty damn obvious Jax/Baltimore are the target here. The Jets reportedly made an offer for the number 1 pick so they are already thinking trade up. Expect the Jets to be talking to Jacksonville and Baltimore aggressively. While we don't have the ammo to move up to 2 ( 2600) - Moving up to the 6th pick might only cost us our first, second, and mid round next year OR our First/Mo/Low pick.  

Funny you should post this.  I called in to Sirius XM radio about 45 minutes ago and asked Kirwin and Miller if they thought Paxton Lynch would fall to the Jets at 20.

Kirwin said it only happens if Philly and SF pass on him and asks if I'd deal our 1st roudner, 2nd rounder and Mo to the Ravens to get up to number six and take Lynch.  I said I only do it if Mike Maccagnan truly feels like Lynch is a franchise QB.  

1 minute ago, Villain The Foe said:

IF you have to move up for Lynch then he could also be considered "unattainable". Besides, if you REALLY believe in Goff/Wentz then you can trade 6 picks like the Rams did to make sure that you get one of the two QB's. 

In otherwords, your comment was just over the top. 

Where did I even say I wouldn't do that? I just don't think it's realistic. It would carry the incredible risk of crippling the franchise and leaving your franchise QB in a dire situation, which is something the Lynch trade probably wouldn't because if where he's seemingly projected to go. That said if we truly believed Goff was the next Aaron Rodgers, then f*ck it, go get him, trade them all.

My comment was not over the top at all. It's the most important position without question and if you truly believe this kid is a franchise QB, you get him. You don't pass up belief for hope. 

1 minute ago, AFJF said:

Funny you should post this.  I called in to Sirius XM radio about 45 minutes ago and asked Kirwin and Miller if they thought Paxton Lynch would fall to the Jets at 20.

Kirwin said it only happens if Philly and SF pass on him and asks if I'd deal our 1st roudner, 2nd rounder and Mo to the Ravens to get up to number six and take Lynch.  I said I only do it if Mike Maccagnan truly feels like Lynch is a franchise QB.  

I just can't see anyway he gets by those teams. Its going to be a major hotspot and several teams will try to jump up to beat them out of fear he won't get by SF. 

I think Jax makes the most sense. 

1- They need to spend money still. 

2- They need defense Bad. 

3- They love extra draft picks. Idzik is there. 

4- Its win or get Fired for that Front Office. 

A trade around Mo, our first and a later pick just makes too much sense with them. At 20 theyll still be in line for a good front 7 guy..

21 minutes ago, Irish Jet said:

Where did I even say I wouldn't do that? I just don't think it's realistic. It would carry the incredible risk of crippling the franchise and leaving your franchise QB in a dire situation, which is something the Lynch trade probably wouldn't because if where he's seemingly projected to go. That said if we truly believed Goff was the next Aaron Rodgers, then f*ck it, go get him, trade them all.

My comment was not over the top at all. It's the most important position without question and if you truly believe this kid is a franchise QB, you get him. You don't pass up belief for hope. 

This is what you said: "Which would be absolutely retarded if we prefer Lynch, who is seemingly held in much higher regard throughout the league.

QB isn't a position you draft for the hell of it, not in the first round at least."

We dont know what the Jets prefer, but if we're going to play the "preferred game and why it would be absolutely retarded to bypass what you prefer" then lets do that. 

Drafting lynch though mostly preferring those other guys could be an option, just like drafting Connor Cook may not be what they most preferred. But maybe the Jets can trade down about 10 spots and get another 3rd round pick and pick up Connor at the 30th spot. 

The "absolutely retarded" and "QB isnt a position you draft for the hell of it" is asinine. You weigh your options, play the board and you dont draft ANY position just for the hell of it. 

You disagreed, but the statement I made wasnt absolutely retarded. The Jets have a big board and they have players ranked. Maybe the Jets prefer Lynch, but if they feel that, for example, Lynch could be taken by either the 49er's at pick 7 or maybe even the bears at pick 11 it may be too expensive to just "move up"....kinda like what you said about Wentz/Goff. So, you go for your "next best option". Connor Cook, and maybe you dont have to take him at 20, but trade down 10 spots for example, pick him up at 30 and get an extra 3rd rounder or something. 

Thats not retardation, thats playing the board. 

14 minutes ago, flgreen said:

A Pro day is one thing, here's every throw Lynch made against 13th ranked Ole Miss.  Got to say I'm impressed with his arm talent.  

Re watch and tell me how often he completed passes to his 2nd or 3rd options.  Just about every pass was a quick pass to first option. That video makes me think he's about as ready to play in the nfl as Geno was coming out of college.  

17 minutes ago, flgreen said:

A Pro day is one thing, here's every throw Lynch made against 13th ranked Ole Miss.  Got to say I'm impressed with his arm talent.  

Sure a bunch of throws to easy flats but he made several impressive plays when scrambling and rolling out to 2nd/3rd options.  

That rollout boot to the left and touchdown to the right side is a thing of beauty. This guy's arm is stronger then Cutlers. 

50 minutes ago, Shockwave said:

Alot of these QB's are projects as its rare to have one in a Pro System. 

I dare anyone that actually watched his Pro Day to say there is a better QB fit for this team. Check the below Vids....Thats the Wind our QB must deal with. Once drafted Lynch will be known as one of the Elite arm's in the NFL and has a great deep ball by just about all scouts reports. Will he be a Elite QB? Who knows. But Theres no better fit for us this year.

Here's his Pro Day in 30-40 MPH wind.  Note the 70 yard throw that hits his WR hands perfectly. This is an all weather QB. 

nice arm

13 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

Re watch and tell me how often he completed passes to his 2nd or 3rd options.  Just about every pass was a quick pass to first option. That video makes me think he's about as ready to play in the nfl as Geno was coming out of college.  

I did notice that with out re-watching.  He's certainly not an un -flawed talent. I'm   not for trading up to 7, or whatever, but I have to say the kid has excellent arm talent.

26 minutes ago, flgreen said:

10 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

I wasnt impressed with that video at all. Look at the first quarter. He's as big as Roethlisberger yet he's taken down for sacks with ease. I didnt see him going through any progressions, I've seen him underthrow balls on screen passes as well as get a screen pass tipped, most of his yards came from WR screens, and when he did throw the deep ball he overthrew his guy by like 5 yards. 

2nd quarter was much of the same. He didnt throw accurate back shoulder passes, short slant throws delivered with minimal touch, 1 read, he's playing an option game but he has no elusiveness and went down on the first sign of contact. continued to throw bad screen passes, passes arent consistently accurate, intermediate throws were consistently high and the WR's had to stretch their bodies to haul the catch exposing themselves, did have one very good throw to a wide open WR at the 5:40 mark, more bubble screens, 

3rd quarter, settled in a bit, more bubble screens, nice TD throw, he's not a mobile QB, more bubble screens, over threw WR by 5 yards again. 

4th quarter, more bubble screens, nice throw between 2 defenders at the 8:46 mark, more bubble screens, trying option and he's not a mobile QB and goes down on first contact. 

This video wasnt impressive at all. Based on this video, Lynch reminds me ALOT of Bryce Petty. 

Archived